Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default What Discontinued Fragrances Seem to be Really Truly Gone???

I was wondering about which discontinued scents you know of that never even come up on ebay anymore...
    Either they were so relatively obscure or exclusive, there weren't reserves (Sabi is running this risk!)... or they just seem to have finally... disappeared.

I know it will depress me, but I still think I'd like to have a list...

Some REALLY AMAZING discontinued scents I want terribly and have been hunting for in vain are:

Bogner Bogner Woman- An exquisite linden blossom chypre, light and very sophisticated.
    YSL Jazz Prestige -- OMG, fellas. A proto-gourmand-ish fougere. The father of Dior Homme.
    Estee Lauder Metropolis - A modern, unsweetened leather fougere
    Capucci Ballade a Venise - A five-star fruit and vanilla chypre with an ambered drydown. Talisman, more sophisticated.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 18th June 2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: To snow readers and obfuscate my points more...

Default Re: What Discontinued Fragrances Seem to be Really Truly Gone???

A fabulous fragrance named de Lys. I have had this forever, well at least since the early 80's, and cannot remember who made it or anything else about it. But it is absolutely glorious and not to be confused with Dilys by Laura Ashley, nor the Marina de Bourbon scent.
    Another one is Lys Bleu by Prince Henri d'Orléans, almost impossible to find. I have also had this since I was very young.
    I also have Pécheresse by Paul Boyer, which I have never heard of elsewhere.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 18th June 2010 at 03:35 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Basenotes Institution

Talking of De Lys - Annick Goutal's Des Lys has gone for good.
    PS I didn't know Sabi was discontinued......
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 18th June 2010 at 04:55 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

My favorite fragrances tend to be discontinued or reformulated with depressing regularity. These are many, but occasionally a bottle of one of them shows up on eBay. Whether the juice is still good is another matter!

Two relatively unknown ones that were not around for long are Gal Trebol (clover) and The Thymes Limón; they no longer appear on eBay or elsewhere. I have plenty for now, but there won't be any more.

I am starting to become philosophical about this trend. I tell myself there will always be new perfumes to love....

Basenotes Plus

I know I sound like a broken record because this is the only scent I truly know well that's in this category but Vallee Des Rois by Mira Takla is a discontinued loss. The one and only time I saw it listed on e-bay, a 50 ml bottle was listed for $499.00 US starting price. A georgeous floral-oriental.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Laura Biagiottis Bianchi Fiori - doesnt seem to have any crowd following it, but I regulary check up on it on Ebays all over - and I havent seen it around for the last year at all in the EdP-version. Found two bottles somewhere in USA (fairly cheap) left of Edt, and minis are still around here and there.
    This is the perfect scent for dark chilly northern climate - uplifting flowerbouquet, Biagiotti-spiced, followed by wonderfully warming honey-woodsy drydown. And great longetivity.
    I only answer this question since I have stashed enough for the future.

A few more that are increasingly impossible to find -

Kif by Lamborghini - a smoldery, sexy, spicy and leathery oriental...like a leathery Opium, but more animalic and furry, like Mystere de Rochas. It's good stuff. I just snagged a big canister of the cologne spray, and I think there is one other left in the world! I have a bottle of the parfum wrapped in red leather, and that's the version I've never seen anywhere else since I bought it way back when....early 80s, if I recall correctly.

Red by Geoffrey Beene - this was supposedly the feminine counterpart to Gray Flannel. It came in a tall red octagonal bottle with a black tassled cap. It never was one of my favorites, and I'm afraid I ruined the finish on the bottle so it's probably not even much of a collectible now, but I keep it for reference, and nostalgia. I've never seen this on eBay or anywhere else.

And Mary McFadden, a sharp and spicy floral chypre by Mary McFadden. I used to own this, and I enjoyed it enough to go through a full bottle of it but I didn't replace it (and I wasn't a panicky hoarder back then - it just never occurred to me that these fragrances would be unavailable one day.) Now that I want it again I can't find anything but one outrageously-priced tester bottle on eBay, and an equally outrageously-priced mini. I know I'd recognize it immediately if I smelled it, but I can't recall it precisely enough to trust my description. I loved the bottle - it was draped in those Marii pleats that were her fashion signature for a while.

Hillaire - I had all but forgotten about Metropolis. I gave my dad a bottle of this one Christmas to be different - he liked and wore Aramis almost exclusively. I'd bet it's still sitting in his cabinet, probably close to full. But that reminds me of two others from EL - Pavillion and Celadon, two of the triumvirate that included White Linen. I'd love to sniff these again.

Brielle - a wonderful BN friend sent me a generous decant of Lys Bleu, and boy to I feel honored! It's something else....I really have never smelled anything like it. There's something about it that's so tender...it's just achingly beautiful. I don't know whether to wear it or just cherish it as long as I can with small whiffs of the bottle.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 18th June 2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: correction

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    And Mary McFadden, a sharp and spicy floral chypre by Mary McFadden. I used to own this, and I enjoyed it enough to go through a full bottle of it but I didn't replace it (and I wasn't a panicky hoarder back then - it just never occurred to me that these fragrances would be unavailable one day.) Now that I want it again I can't find anything but one outrageously-priced tester bottle on eBay, and an equally outrageously-priced mini. I know I'd recognize it immediately if I smelled it, but I can't recall it precisely enough to trust my description. I loved the bottle - it was draped in those Marii pleats that were her fashion signature for a while.
    OMG Evangeline, How could I have completely forgotten about this wonderful scent and the pleated bottle? At one time I was a poor gal with only a bottle of Bellodgia, Je Reviens and McFadden!
    I also used up a full bottle but was off the market when I ran dry. I now even recall making a mock-wrap dress with a gazillion hand tucked pleats and the only scent I would wear with it was McFadden . (Yes I even sewed my own clothes)
    Thank you for the trip down memory lane! I'm off to add this frag to the "used to own" category
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Must Cartier Pour Homme Vert Anis. I`ve been searching for this fragrance for more than 2 years, but could never find a bottle

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    OMG Evangeline, How could I have completely forgotten about this wonderful scent and the pleated bottle? At one time I was a poor gal with only a bottle of Bellodgia, Je Reviens and McFadden!
    I also used up a full bottle but was off the market when I ran dry. I now even recall making a mock-wrap dress with a gazillion hand tucked pleats and the only scent I would wear with it was McFadden . (Yes I even sewed my own clothes)
    Thank you for the trip down memory lane! I'm off to add this frag to the "used to own" category

Stirring the pot of forgotten memories - now that makes me happy! Wouldn't it be great to smell it again? Do you think I described it accurately? It seemed very sophisticated to me at the time - I was probably about 15 when I had it. I loved that nobody else wore it or recognized it on me, so it was apparently rather obscure even while in distribution.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 18th June 2010 at 05:31 PM.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post

Hillaire - I had all but forgotten about Metropolis. I gave my dad a bottle of this one Christmas to be different - he liked and wore Aramis almost exclusively. I'd bet it's still sitting in his cabinet, probably close to full. But that reminds me of two others from EL - Pavillion and Celadon, two of the triumvirate that included White Linen. I'd love to sniff these again.

I remember Mary Mc Fadden. God, do you remember her look? With that severe black bob and everything she made/wore was crunched crepe with micro-pleats and Empire waists? I remember that bottle!
    ~So Funny~

Evangleine, tell your dad I have some nice yummy vintage Aramis for him ....

And isn't Celadon a gorgeous name for a fragrance??
    Last edited by Hillaire; 18th June 2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: I forgot to capitalize 'Empire'.

I believe Le Galion's Megara, a fantastic green chypre, is truly gone forever. I see Megara for men available from time to time, but never the one that was created for/marketed to females. It was a stunner. And as I say with depressing regularity every time I post on a thread of this nature, Unter den Linden by Berlin Cosmetics is also gone, gone, gone.

Blog Entries

I have not seen any availability of Parure by Guerlain which, is not only discontinued but without the possibility of reissue do to the major ingredients being restricted or banned by IFRA. I have smelled a sample of this fragrance and I find it very unique. Too bad that it is gone forever.

Jazz Prestige, yes, i think now X Men has in his sale thread.

anyway, a year ago my man decided he really wants the jazz prestige and we barely found one by accident on ebay. i was buying opium for him and mentioned how we cant get Jazz Prestige anywhere and he said all of a sudden: I got one.

i think we paid around 30 dollars for it. Great fragrance.

also i didnt see Sous le Vent when i was looking for it for a while. Poor Guerlain is really doomed :/

Hillaire

According to a popular blogger, N. Jean Paul Guerlain told her in person he is working on a re-issue of Parure... but it will be re-tooled. Apparently it had so much much oakmoss it had to pulled. And since it wouldn't amass the puplic outcry that discontinuing Mitsouko would, Guerlain opted to put the Mitsouko reformulation on the front burner and put Parure temporarily out of comission.

I assume this is good news, since Mitsouko still smells good with fake moss. But we shall see.

Now let me go look for that blog link

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Two relatively unknown ones that were not around for long are Gal Trebol (clover)
    I had this! Bought a tiny bottle for $15 at "By the Sea" in Branford, CT. Silly me, it was too grassy for me at the time, so after a few years I "sinked' it. Washed the beautiful Art Nouveau label off. Recently, I looked around for it and POOF. Goner than gone. I feel like a heel now, knowing that someone on this board would have loved that. Does Gal make anything besides the lip balms now?