Code of Conduct

Default Earthy/wood scents

Looking for suggestions for a cologne to try the two I own and love in this category are encre noir and gucci ph. I do have guerlain vetiver and its nice as well but more of a subtle & clean version. If its of any help my wardrobe isn't hidden so if that gives you a sense of what I have & like or dislike.

I am planning on checking out Tom ford Grey Vetiver.

Thanks.
    Last edited by nephandi; 18th June 2010 at 04:25 AM.

Default Re: Earthy/wood scents

Sounds like you like vetivers. There are so many to try! Encre Noir and Guerlain are classics but I love Tauer's Vetiver Dance, Le Labo's Vetiver, and Fumidus. For an inexpensive Vetiver, though, Etro does quite well. Lorenzo Villoresi, too.

But, if you're looking for woody in general, Bond's Silver Factory is fantastic, Dyptique's Tam Dao comes to mind, and so does Tom Ford for Men.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Tom ford Grey Vetiver is even cleaner than Guerlain Vetiver.

As a suggestion, Terre D'Hermes is very earthy

You should try Rochas Lui, similar to Gucci PH, very woody, long lasting and cheap!
    Last edited by easyfish; 18th June 2010 at 07:58 AM.

I own Terre D'hermes and it's a great one as well that I've used for awhile.

I also own Lui by Rochas and I find it offensive? The sweetness of the vanilla just seems to trash the whole scent for me like it doesn't belong. Might also be that the projection is enormous and I prefer something a little closer to the skin.

I will see if I can find a place to test tauer vetiver dance I believe Holts Renfrew in Canada may have it. I plan on visiting the store anyway to see FM's vetiver extraordinaire.

Someday's I wear just a straight patchouli oil because I like the earthyness of it.
    Last edited by nephandi; 18th June 2010 at 09:34 AM.

if you have money to spend, you owe it to yourself to sample some oud oils. If you haven't already that is.

Quote Originally Posted by nephandi View Post
    Someday's I wear just a straight patchouli oil because I like the earthyness of it.
    Yeah, I use pure essential patchouli oil for over 30 years.
    As saripatates mentioned, try oud oil!

I've never heard of oud oils I will have to give google a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by nephandi View Post
    I've never heard of oud oils I will have to give google a workout.
    All the quintessential collective wisdom of Basenotes on oud: Click Me and Me Too!

If you are a fan of vetiver, I'd highly recommend trying Bourbon Vetiver essential oil from Aqua Oleum. To my nose this is the best vetiver scent, sweet and earthy, with the widest dynamic range and insane longevity. It's very cheap and is a fantastic bang for your buck.

I came across a website(oudselect) with a oud sampler 5 of their top ouds for 50$. I'm not sure how reputable the website is as everyone seems to just speak of Oriscent.