Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Exclamation Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    I have recently come to appreciate the (1990) version of Vent Vert by Calice Becker. I find it a very pleasant summer fragrance. My first Balmain infatuation was and still is Ambre Gris. I happened on a sample of the Vent Vert and knew I had to have it in the collection. It is a beautiful explosion of green, dry but, slightly sweet and smooth. I am not big on green fragrances but, this one is amazing. Unfortunately it has been reformulated but, there are still some bottles out there of the Calice Becker version. I have been slowly accumulating them. Very wearable by a man. I understand that the original formulation came in pure parfum also. I can only imagine how wonderful it must have been. Fragrance is one love affair after another. I wonder if you might have any backround information or history of this fragrance that you would like to share?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 18th June 2010 at 04:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,346

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Balmain.

    I just re sampled ( thanks to your inspiration .... ) and it is a glorious dry green chypre. Very lovely.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  3. #3
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Balmain.

    Mimi Gardenia; Consider me your fragrance Muse.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I just re sampled ( thanks to your inspiration .... ) and it is a glorious dry green chypre. Very lovely.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    A few notes about the vintage pure perfume:

    http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.c...1_archive.html
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

  5. #5

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    Vent Vert has been my 'signature scent' since 1967 - I have always loved its splendid green surrounding me! I have never been fortunate enough to own the parfum but have had the 'old, the new (Becker) and the ugly' all three - look for vintage or the Becker reformulation for the gold standard for green perfumes. I adore most Balmain, try BalMan too....

    Reine

  6. #6
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,215
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    I have a few of the little parfums in the square bottles. They have the black labels. They are just gorgeous. I don't know which perfumer made those. Are those the first ones? These are the best versions I have tried.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    I have those too, kumquat - that's the original formula, created by Germaine Cellier. The second version is very, very good, but that original formula is insane...surreally green. Stunning. I also have it in an edt atomizer - I wear them together and can almost see the green aura around me!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 18th June 2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: typo!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    I have the second version, and it was my SOTD yesterday. It is the best green I have ever tried -- love it so much. A sharp cloud of green, sweet, fresh, and charming. I'd love to smell the original!

    The Calice Becker version is so inexpensive, it's hard to believe you can buy something so pretty for so little.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    I just took a spritz of Vent Vert myself, N_Tesla. Mine is a decant that someone sent me, and I believe it's the most current version (Becker). What I love about it is the sweetness mixed in with the bitter greenery. It's lovely! And thanks for the reminder, O Muse - I've been thinking about greens today.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus
    knit at nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,776

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    Vent Vert has been my 'signature scent' since 1967 - I have always loved its splendid green surrounding me! I have never been fortunate enough to own the parfum but have had the 'old, the new (Becker) and the ugly' all three - look for vintage or the Becker reformulation for the gold standard for green perfumes. I adore most Balmain, try BalMan too....

    Reine
    Ok, you talked me into it- just ordered Balman - you enabler, you


    Really, it's been on my buy list but your post sent me over the edge- I haven't met a Balmain I didn't like or adore (la Mome)
    Last edited by knit at nite; 18th June 2010 at 04:57 PM.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

  11. #11

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    lilybelle- the second version is Calice Becker's reorchestration from 1990. I've never seen the nose behind the latest one (1999) mentioned and it's just as well, because that's the one that's supposed to be the dud. I've never smelled it, but from what I've read I'd say that if you like it it's the second one, not the most current.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 18th June 2010 at 05:21 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    I'd love to try this, but how would I know which version I'm getting? What do the bottles look like? (If I can get a sample of the 1999 or the 1947 stuff, and someday want to get a full bottle, that is)
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

  13. #13
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    Please find below a web address to Bois de Jasmine for the review and pictures of the bottle of the different formulations. Click on it to go there.

    http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...vent_vert.html





    Quote Originally Posted by coopmom View Post
    I'd love to try this, but how would I know which version I'm getting? What do the bottles look like? (If I can get a sample of the 1999 or the 1947 stuff, and someday want to get a full bottle, that is)
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 18th June 2010 at 10:37 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Please find below a web address to Bois de Jasmine for the review and pictures of the bottle of the different formulations. Click on it to go there.

    http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...vent_vert.html
    Thanks, that answers my questions perfectly.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    lilybelle- the second version is Calice Becker's reorchestration from 1990. I've never seen the nose behind the latest one (1999) mentioned and it's just as well, because that's the one that's supposed to be the dud. I've never smelled it, but from what I've read I'd say that if you like it it's the second one, not the most current.
    Thanks for the clarification, Evangeline. The decant I have is green and sweetly floral. If that's the dud, I don't mind it at all.

Similar Threads

  1. There Be Vent Vert, Captain!
    By N_Tesla in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th March 2010, 03:53 PM
  2. Vintage Vent Vert.
    By N_Tesla in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12th March 2010, 11:50 AM
  3. Vent Vert specialists please
    By Persona in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th December 2009, 04:53 PM
  4. Green and Floral , between Mechant Loup and Balmain Vent Vert
    By 1234567890 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 6th August 2009, 02:31 PM
  5. Vintage Vent Vert EdP -- how I love this
    By Natural_Juice in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th August 2006, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •