Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: JAR Jardenia - I've Found Gardenia Heaven!

JAR is my perfume Achilles Heel, literally. I've visited the boutique in Bergdorf's twice & both times I've had a vasal vagal reaction where all the color drained from my already pale face & I felt very faint. Either Tom from Annick Goutal or Maddy, the manager, rescued me. There's something in JAR that makes my blood pressure drop. I can't even smell them on someone else. This is the only fragrance that does this to me, the other thing is needles.

I'm strange that way but I will enjoy them vicariously through all of you.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Diamond Water is like $10 less than Jardenia so $420-ish.
    Thanks Neo !! That helps. I'm just wondering why the Diamond Water sample is about $10 for 0.25 ml and yet Jardenia is about $8 per 0.25 ml .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 5th July 2010 at 04:07 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Thanks Neo !! That helps. I'm just wondering why the Diamond Water sample is about $10 for 0.25 ml and yet Jardenia is about $8 per 0.25 ml .
    No idea, maybe TPC got a good price, or it's old stock ~ I can't imagine they go through bottles too often. Called JAR to make sure I'm not crazy, and it's actually $415 for Diamond Water.
    Last edited by teger; 5th July 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks very much Neo ! I do appreciate you calling JAR!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing a tiny bit of my Jardenia sample tonight.

Wow! This stuff is strong. Quite lethal in its gardenia accord, for a few minutes there (from just 1 tiny drop that I swabbed between my two wrists) I got a bit claustrophobic. Now that it's calmed down a bit, the fatty indoles aren't so engulfing I can see why all of the gardenia fans above are all aflutter over this one.

It is definitely not as cheesy as Velvet Gardenia, but the actual interpretation of a real live gardenia flower is incredibly well done. I look forward to giving this a full wearing soon.

This is absolutely my favorite Gardenia scent too, and almost impossible to find. I got my sample bottle from The Perfumed Court, but they no longer carry it. There is a JAR Boutique in Bergdoff Goodman's, in NY and another on the Rue de Castiglione in Paris. (I am not sure if the JAR Boutique is still at Bergdoff's today.) Anyway I just want to reaffirm that JAR is one of the most authentic gardenia scents around. That along with Kai and Yve's Rocher who no longer makes Gardenia, and another from Hawaiian Classic Perfumes that is excellent, but Jar is the most yummy and intoxicating of them all. There's something about JAR, kind of a soliflore, but not a soliflere. The extra notes are so subtle that it still smells like a fresh gardenia, but with just a little something extra in there that is so intoxicating, that I can't get enough. Joel Arthur Rosenthal aka JAR is a renowned jeweler who designed this line of perfumes... 7 scents. I think they are about $350 for 1 ounce. Anyway, I would love to get my hands on a big bottle of Jardenia...maybe someday.
    Post Edit: I just called Bergdoff's in NY and the JAR Boutique is still there, on the beauty floor. Jardenia is $505 an ounce
    Last edited by islandgirl8; 18th February 2015 at 10:52 PM. Reason: new information

Somehow, I had missed this thread. I agree with islandgirl and everybody else. It is a wonderful, over the top gardenia. It has a potent mushroom note, but it doesn't come out as cheese, it's the indolic note that's there in gardenia. Very powerful, as most JARs.

It is not $350 per 30ml, sadly. I think it's around 400, but euros, not dollars. And this in Paris. If still at Bergdorf Goodman, I suspect there will be a hefty mark-up. (That said, it is not the most expensive in the line. Eclair/bolt of lightning goes for 630 euros or so).

cacio

I just called Bergdoff's in NY and the JAR Boutique is still there, on the beauty floor. Jardenia is $505 an ounce

Good to know it's stilll there. The markup is reasonable (also putting the tax on top).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

When I visited the JAR boutique in Goodmans a little over a year ago, don't remember anything under $500.00 an ounce.

The one I enjoyed the most was unfortunately no longer available, "Bed of Roses".

Quote Originally Posted by islandgirl8 View Post
    There is a JAR Boutique in Bergdoff Goodman's, in NY and another on the Rue de Castiglione in Paris.
    The one in Paris is quite nice and elegantly furnished, if a bit dark.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.