Code of Conduct

Default JAR Jardenia - I've Found Gardenia Heaven!

After a long while searching, I've found it -THE gardenia of my dreams: JAR's Jardenia.

It really surprised me, as I was expecting a replay of Velvet Gardenia, and it was quite a different fragrance altogether. All the dire warnings of blue cheese and bad male hygiene failed to come about, and instead I've found a gardenia that avoids all the usual pitfalls of gardenia fragrances ( too synthetic, too cheesy, too tuberosey, or too some other flower ), captures all the subtle details of the flower, yet is far from one-note, and has many beautiful nuances. I've written an in-depth review over here, but I'm writing here to bring attention to this fragrance and see what others think.

As with the whole JAR line, it's all rather mysterious, and I have a number of questions unanswered at this point. Who is the perfumer? What is the price? ( As for the latter, I've read anything from 350$ to 500$ with bottle sizes equally vague ). Who actually owns this?

I can't imagine that I'll be buying this anytime soon due to the price, but ignoring practicality, it really is the best gardenia I've smelled. Now I'm extremely curious about the dirty jasmine of Ferme tes Yeux and the green tuberose of Bolt Of Lightening... JARs seem like dangerous things to love!

If you've tried it, what do you think of Jardenia? ( If you love gardenia and haven't tried it, do - it's totally worth the obscene price for a sample! )

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: JAR Jardenia - I've Found Gardenia Heaven!

Yeah , the price for tiny sample is terribly obscene , I agree ,Suga. The review you wrote, on the blog is fabulous . People ,you have to check out Suga's insights and review ...
    I simply cannot afford to fall in love with this !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 18th June 2010 at 09:44 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Unfortunately, this one literally turned my stomach. All I got from it was rotting vegetation and nasty bits. I'm so glad someone likes it though!

Indeed. Jardenia is an amazing perfume. I actually do smell some similarity between it and TF VG, mostly in the fullness and vividnes of the gardenia itself, with no tuberose or other fragrant noise.

To answer some of the questions, the nose is JAR himself, Joel Arthur Rosenthal who owns the line and is more famous as a jeweler. According to Robert, his rep at Bergdorf Goodman, Mr. Rosenthal is a self-taught perfumer.

The bottles are 1 oz of extrait de parfum. There's no other sizes or formulations. Each perfume has a different price. The cheapest used to be the now discontinued Shadow ($380, if I remember correctly), and the most expensive is still Bolt Of Lightning (around $800). The others are somehere around $500, give or take some.

I own both Ferme tes Yeux and Diamond Water and have reviewed them on my blog:
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...-yeux-jar.html
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...er-by-jar.html

You might also enjoy this post:
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...hose-jars.html

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Unfortunately, this one literally turned my stomach. All I got from it was rotting vegetation and nasty bits. I'm so glad someone likes it though!
    People smell weird things in gardenias. Twolf, a member here, smells the perfectly pleasant ( to my nose ) Pur Desir de Gardenia as meaty BBQ, and I know a good number like Velvet Gardenia, which is truly scary on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by the non blonde View Post
    Indeed. Jardenia is an amazing perfume. I actually do smell some similarity between it and TF VG, mostly in the fullness and vividnes of the gardenia itself, with no tuberose or other fragrant noise.
    For me, a lot of the difference has to do with balance. While many "gardenia" fragrances lack that tell-tale gardenia note, I find TF's VG goes overboard ( I revisit now and then, hoping my nose has changed it's mind, but each time I'm repulsed ). I find the JAR much more subtle and nuanced; everything is just right.

To answer some of the questions, the nose is JAR himself, Joel Arthur Rosenthal who owns the line and is more famous as a jeweler. According to Robert, his rep at Bergdorf Goodman, Mr. Rosenthal is a self-taught perfumer.
    Now that is very impressive indeed! ( Especially given how many gardenias I've smelled that weren't half so good, yet were composed by trained professionals... )

The bottles are 1 oz of extrait de parfum. There's no other sizes or formulations. Each perfume has a different price. The cheapest used to be the now discontinued Shadow ($380, if I remember correctly), and the most expensive is still Bolt Of Lightning (around $800). The others are somehere around $500, give or take some.
    Ouch.

I own both Ferme tes Yeux and Diamond Water and have reviewed them on my blog:
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...-yeux-jar.html
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...er-by-jar.html

You might also enjoy this post:
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...hose-jars.html
    Wonderful posts! Ferme tes Yeux sounds like heaven for me, it really does... I adore "skanky" jasmine.

You're a fairly rare creature around Basenotes - someone who actually owns a JAR! Please tell me you join some sort of club where, when you purchase your first bottle, you get the next half-off.

Blog Entries

I personally love JAR's Golconda, which is mostly carnation absolute with some bubblegummy jasmine thrown in. It ended up being around $450, I believe (I'm trying to forget ) and worth every penny. While I know it's all just a marketing gimmick, the fact that it's only available 2 places in the world and you have to work for it and scrimp and save for it makes it even more fun...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I personally love JAR's Golconda, which is mostly carnation absolute with some bubblegummy jasmine thrown in. It ended up being around $450, I believe (I'm trying to forget ) and worth every penny. While I know it's all just a marketing gimmick, the fact that it's only available 2 places in the world and you have to work for it and scrimp and save for it makes it even more fun...
    I can't wait to try Golconda - you make it sound lovely. But I wonder what the name 'Golconda' means ?
    Times like this and with the difficulty of getting JAR, I do wish I lived in New York !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 19th June 2010 at 01:43 PM.

Basenotes Institution

" I just died in your arms tonight ...it must have been something I smelt..." Yeah... JARDENIA! OMG- fab gardenia. Similar to Ajne Fleur Blanche but much brighter ,cleaner. Beautiful ! I wanna live in NY so I can go buy this !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 24th June 2010 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    " I just died in your arms tonight ...it must have been something I smelt..." Yeah... JARDENIA! OMG- fab gardenia. Similar to Ajne Fleur Blanche but much brighter ,cleaner. Beautiful ! I wanna live in NY so I can go buy this !
    Glad the gardenia queen of Basenotes approves! It is delightful, isn't it?

It was all right, pretty but not grabbing. Do not smell gardenia in it. Plumeria -- maybe, freesia -- perhaps, but do not find much of gardenia.

I think JARs are coming in bottles of 45 ml each.

Basenotes Institution

Suga- it's wonderful. It really is similar to Ajne Fleur Blanche but then it veers off into JAR land with that big cheesy gardenia note, kind of slightly over ripe gardenia - indolic - true to life. Lovely.
    Twolf- is there any hope in hell of ever getting some of this apart from The Perfumed Court ?
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 25th June 2010 at 03:13 AM.

Mimi, I'm giving a full wearing to Fleur Blanche tonight, and I definitely see some similarities. On my skin, Fleur Blanche heads more towards tuberose territory where as Jardenia is gardenia-like and cheesy. Both have a kind of "dense" feeling to them I can't quite explain, like flowers had been concentrated and fermented just a little.

Twolf, I don't think I've ever smelled a plumeria; I'll have to now, as I love the smell of Jardenia! I don't smell freesia here, but then, I've never smelled a floral fragrance with a really convincing freesia note ( Diptyque's Ofresia comes close, but there are so many other things going on in it, it's not really the star ).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Mimi, I'm giving a full wearing to Fleur Blanche tonight, and I definitely see some similarities. On my skin, Fleur Blanche heads more towards tuberose territory where as Jardenia is gardenia-like and cheesy. Both have a kind of "dense" feeling to them I can't quite explain, like flowers had been concentrated and fermented just a little.
    I was quite amazed about how similar the two begin but Jardenia shows it's pedigree in the dry down IMHO. Sorry Ajne !
    Both quite dense and opaque,milky- maybe ambrette seed ?

Ooooh!!! You are guys are sooo lucky you don't get any of the sweaty-male drydown! Glad you enjoyed it Suga and I thoroughly enjoyed your review! Keep it up!!!

Basenotes Institution

Scent- in the extreme dry down I find Jardenia becomes quite 'dirty' ? Civet ?

I MUST never, ever, ever visit JAR. Never. Period.

(I simply do not have that kind of self-control with scent.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I MUST never, ever, ever visit JAR. Never. Period.

(I simply do not have that kind of self-control with scent.)
    Actiasluna- if I ever go to NY - I'm headin' straight there ! *LOL*

Basenotes Institution

Well, I feel a little foolish as I've had a sample of Jardenia in my possession for about a month or so and I still haven't smelled it (too many samples, not enough time). I must correct this and wear it this week. I absolutely love Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford so maybe that's why I'm not going 'gaga' over trying out a new gardenia scent because my heart is already full - sounds like a good excuse, right?

I also have a Golconda and Bolt of Lightning sample. I have tested the BOL a handful of times, but I haven't smelled the Golconda yet. The BOL has something in it that turns my stomach when I over apply it. And when I under apply it, I can hardly smell it unless I bury my nose in the spot where it's applied. The first word that comes to mind when I think of BOL is green, indolic bamboo. If that makes sense.

The JAR area at Bergdorf Goodman in NY is hilariously, over-the-top luxury. The SA wears a suit. The area is curtained off with dark walls and heavy purple curtains. Spooky, intimidating...very New York.

I am pretty sure that NEoTY26 owns some JAR fragrances also.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th June 2010 at 02:47 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Mike- I adore Golconda- so spicey, carnation-y and lush floral.
    I did not like Tom Ford's VG but Jardenia is gorgeous- milky start- dirty finish on me. I do wonder if there is lots of civet in it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    As with the whole JAR line, it's all rather mysterious, and I have a number of questions unanswered at this point. Who is the perfumer? What is the price? ( As for the latter, I've read anything from 350$ to 500$ with bottle sizes equally vague ). Who actually owns this?
    The perfumer is credited as Joel Rosenthal. As you said it's all rather mysterious, so we probably will never know if a 'nose' helped him or not. The large majority of the line is around $400 give or take $100. All are 30ml in parfum concentration. I believe Jardenia is $420. They come with a purple velvet pouch for storage. The bottles are designed by baccarat (not sure if they produce them ~ there is no acid stamp) and they have a quality of looking like a bubble of liquid, I think this effect translates to the photo below. It's quite beautiful.

And from reading your Golconda review, it seems you're under the impression these cannot be shipped? They do take phone orders and ship, although I'm not sure if Bergdorfs ships to Canada or not, but there are quite a few US BNrs who could help you. Robert Denney is the 'Business Manager' here's the phone number: 212.872.2874.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well, I feel a little foolish as I've had a sample of Jardenia in my possession for about a month or so and I still haven't smelled it (too many samples, not enough time). I must correct this and wear it this week. I absolutely love Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford so maybe that's why I'm not going 'gaga' over trying out a new gardenia scent because my heart is already full - sounds like a good excuse, right?

I also have a Golconda and Bolt of Lightning sample. I have tested the BOL a handful of times, but I haven't smelled the Golconda yet. The BOL has something in it that turns my stomach when I over apply it. And when I under apply it, I can hardly smell it unless I bury my nose in the spot where it's applied. The first word that comes to mind when I think of BOL is green, indolic bamboo. If that makes sense.

The JAR area at Bergdorf Goodman in NY is hilariously, over-the-top luxury. The SA wears a suit. The area is curtained off with dark walls and heavy purple curtains. Spooky, intimidating...very New York.

I am pretty sure that NEoTY26 owns some JAR fragrances also.
    M, with Golconda or Jardenia you definitely will not have the same stomach-turning BoL experience. They are both lovely. You should try applying JAR's to your earlobes.

Took a picture of Jardenia in light of this thread. I hope y'all enjoy it!

[bigger]
    Last edited by teger; 29th June 2010 at 06:44 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Thank you for a gorgeous mouth watering picture NEoTY26 !

Mike, please let us know what you think! Jardenia may not be cheesy enough for you if Velvet Gardenia is your ideal ( nothing can out-cheese Velvet Gardenia ), but it has a cheesier edge than most and an intriguing honeyed side that adds something different to the world of gardenia soliflores. It's really not comparable to any other gardenia fragrance out there.

Basenotes Institution

Lovely picture N. Does the bottle stand up all by itself, like that?

Blog Entries

Actiasluna- if I ever go to NY - I'm headin' straight there ! *LOL*
    Mimi, where is it? We're going to NYC on Thursday-- probably to see MoMA but I'd like to slip some perfume sniffing in.....

Banned

Wearing this now. The thing I love about Jardenia is that it isn't overwhelmingly cheesy. I've never tried to analyze this fragrance, but Sugandaraja's description is pretty good. Don't get the lactonic aspect though.

Lovely picture N. Does the bottle stand up all by itself, like that?
    It should for the price! Ha! But seriously, it was hanging by a string that's been edited out. What a pain in the ass that string; it was a twisted one, so the bottle was spinning like a disco ball. Could you imagine the horror stories if it had dropped?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Mimi, where is it? We're going to NYC on Thursday-- probably to see MoMA but I'd like to slip some perfume sniffing in.....
    Bergdorf Goodman on the beauty level, 30 Roses. Have fun- wish I could go with you- you would have to drag me away ,kicking and screaming ! My Toys R Us ! *LOL*

.............Yes ,what horror ,if it dropped. Funny - I get that milky note at the top .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th June 2010 at 03:36 AM.

Basenotes Institution

double post - sorry !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th June 2010 at 03:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Mimi...I'll have to visit the counter!

Basenotes Institution

Anyone know the current price for Diamond Water ?

Banned

Anyone know the current price for Diamond Water ?
    Diamond Water is like $10 less than Jardenia so $420-ish.

Basenotes Plus

JAR is my perfume Achilles Heel, literally. I've visited the boutique in Bergdorf's twice & both times I've had a vasal vagal reaction where all the color drained from my already pale face & I felt very faint. Either Tom from Annick Goutal or Maddy, the manager, rescued me. There's something in JAR that makes my blood pressure drop. I can't even smell them on someone else. This is the only fragrance that does this to me, the other thing is needles.

I'm strange that way but I will enjoy them vicariously through all of you.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Diamond Water is like $10 less than Jardenia so $420-ish.
    Thanks Neo !! That helps. I'm just wondering why the Diamond Water sample is about $10 for 0.25 ml and yet Jardenia is about $8 per 0.25 ml .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 5th July 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Banned

Thanks Neo !! That helps. I'm just wondering why the Diamond Water sample is about $10 for 0.25 ml and yet Jardenia is about $8 per 0.25 ml .
    No idea, maybe TPC got a good price, or it's old stock ~ I can't imagine they go through bottles too often. Called JAR to make sure I'm not crazy, and it's actually $415 for Diamond Water.
    Last edited by teger; 5th July 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks very much Neo ! I do appreciate you calling JAR!

Basenotes Institution

Wearing a tiny bit of my Jardenia sample tonight.

Wow! This stuff is strong. Quite lethal in its gardenia accord, for a few minutes there (from just 1 tiny drop that I swabbed between my two wrists) I got a bit claustrophobic. Now that it's calmed down a bit, the fatty indoles aren't so engulfing I can see why all of the gardenia fans above are all aflutter over this one.

It is definitely not as cheesy as Velvet Gardenia, but the actual interpretation of a real live gardenia flower is incredibly well done. I look forward to giving this a full wearing soon.