Code of Conduct

Default Iris Lover's...What is what to you????

The Different Company Bois d’Iris-
    Hermes Hiris-
    L’Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine-
    Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d'Iris-
    Prada Infusion d'Iris-
    Xerjoff Irisss-
    Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist-
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Default Re: Iris Lover's...What is what to you????

Iris fragrances bore me and much of the iris used now is cheap and somewhat screechy. I use them mainly to spray the sheets and various other fabrics. Iris smells great on clothes.

Iris Silver Mist is excellent. Bois d'Iris (Different Co.) isn't bad, uses quality ingredients, but turns into a pale woody soon enough. Bois Farine smells great initially but has little to offer beyond that. I don't think of it as iris anyway. More of a heliotrope smell. It's been awhile sense I smelled it. I used to like it but Hiris just fell away. I don't even remember it. My girlfriend likes it a little but it never makes an impression me. The Prada is horrible. A good example of the cheap iris being used these days.

You should also try 28 La Pausa (Chanel), No. 18 (Chanel), L'Homme de Coeur (Divine), Iris Pallida (L'Artisan), Iris de Nuit (Heeley), and Heure Exquise (Annick Goutal).
    Last edited by pluran; 19th June 2010 at 07:09 PM.

L'Homme de Coeur
    Iris Silver Mist
    Iris Bleu Gris
    Infusion d' Homme

Iris Silver Mist +++++ , cold and rooty, the best if you really like Iris. Lutens asked more and more concentration during his creation...

There is Après l'ondée who is good too (but before reformulation unfortunaly).

And Dior Homme EDT wich is more accessible but still has this carrot iris note.
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 18th June 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Tried the Chanel 28 La Pausa..It didnt make a great impression to me (from a test strip). Might give it a 2nd whiff. I was want to know what lovers of the Iris note..feel about the ones I named. thnks
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Iris Silver Mist +++++ , cold and rooty, the best if you really like Iris. Lutens asked more and more concentration during his creation...

There is Après l'ondée who is good too (but before reformulation unfortunaly).

And Dior Homme EDT wich is more accessible but still has this carrot iris note.
    I heard Après l'ondée and Iris Silver Mist are very hard to wear..Is that true???
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Giving the brief run-down of some of the ones I've tried...

Parfumerie Generale - Cuir d'Iris. Leathery, dry, spicy iris with gourmand touches. 4.5 Stars

Parfumerie Generale - Iris Taizo. Dry spicy iris. 3.5 Stars.

The Different Company Bois d’Iris - cool, green, ephemeral iris. 2 Stars due to longevity.

Hermes Hiris - doughy plasticine iris. 3 Stars.

L’Artisan Parfumeur Iris Pallida - dry, bitter, woody iris. 2.5 Stars.

L’Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine - peanut butter and dough. 2.5 Stars - not iris to my nose.

Prada Infusion d'Iris - cool, sterile, solemn iris. 3.5 Stars.

Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist- earthy, spicy, rooty iris. 5 stars and my all-time favorite iris. Nothing else out there like this.

Tauer Orris - dense, violet-rose with resinous woody elements. 5 Stars - but does not smell like iris.

Dior Bois d'Argent - honeyed, woody iris. Very true to orris powder. 4.5 Stars.

Fath Iris Gris - plain, soapy iris. 2.5 Stars.

MPG Iris Bleu Gris - intensely soapy fresh iris. 3 Stars

Hilde Solani Iris - agreeable apple-tinted iris. 3.5 Stars.

Santa Maria Novella Citta di Kyoto - dry, cedary iris. 3 Stars.

Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir - sweet, mildly spicy floral iris. 3.5 Stars.

Aqua di Parma Iris Nobile - mixed floral, only lightly iris. 3 Stars.

Dior Homme - powdery, sweet, lipstick-like iris. 2.5 Stars.

As I think of more, I'll add them. These are just what occurs to me off the top of my head. Does it show I went through an iris phase?

For me it is MPG's Iris Bleu Gris followed by Hermes Hiris.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Iris Bleu Gris is great.

If you like orange blossom and jasmine along with your iris, you could do much worse than Amouage Reflection Man.

Xerjoff's Irisss is a great iris soliflore, although a bit too unidimensional for me. I love iris, but find it a bit boring if it stands alone. If you feel otherwise though, Irisss is definitely worth sampling.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

MPG's Iris scared me.

My personal favorite is Malle's Iris Poudre, which is like if a classic Chanel and an iris had a baby.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I'm glad others beat me to it, because I too was going to mention L'Homme de Coeur. In fact, I'm contemplating it for my next purchase.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Iris Pallida is probably my fave iris. Somewhat linear, but BIG and well done.
    Bois d'Iris is nice and complex and woody/boozy up front, but runs out of gas pretty fast.
    Infusion d'Iris is cool, light, and has this nice "texture" thing that I just can't describe.
    Infusion d'Homme is similar but actually more substantial. Some think this comes off more "perfumey" than IdI.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by megatropolis View Post
    I heard Après l'ondée and Iris Silver Mist are very hard to wear..Is that true???
    I do not think so.

We are at a point where just including good quality iris notes isn't enough - every other perfume company with a decent budget can throw together an 'iris supreme' fragrance. This isn't 1994 anymore, where a smorgasboard of iris notes could intrigue the perfume crowd ala Iris Silver Mist. Keeping this in mind, my current fave's are MPG's strange rooty Iris Bleu Gris and PG's Cuir d'Iris. For iris soliflore's grab any of Iris Silver Mist, Xerjoff Iriss, etc.
    Last edited by zztopp; 19th June 2010 at 03:29 AM.
    -

Après l'ondée is lovely on a women and still relativly light so it's ok.
    ISM can be surprising, for real iris lovers....

Dependent

A lot of good mentions already, some of which I enjoy thoroughly.

I would add Equistrius (Parfum d'Empire) to the list. The opening can be a little thick, but otherwise, I think it is a very enjoyable fragrance.

What about Amouage Dia femme and pour homme ?

I'll add another vote for Iris Silver Mist

one that I wear quite often is 31 rue Cambon

and one that I wish I could wear often, and will be the next high-profile purchase, is Sous le Vent

Another Iris Silver Mist fan here. I think it's the best iris I've smelled. I wouldn't say it's difficult to wear but I can't say I've worn it often myself.

Two frags with a lot going on besides iris but that frame the iris note beautifully:
    The latest EdP L'Heure Bleue works well as a masculine iris at low doses. It's less powdery and less gourmand than the EdT. Iris, neroli, anise.
    And I think it's interesting to think of Sel de Vetiver as an iris. Much of the salt air impression is spicy vetiver set against earthy iris.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 19th June 2010 at 03:45 PM.

I'm not a fan of Iris Silver Mist actually. I thought it would be dirty and earthy, but it just smells like raw vegetables.

So far, I like Iris Taizo, Iris Pallida, Bois d'Argent and Bois d'Iris. But as a note, I don't like it as much as say vetiver or patchouli.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    A lot of good mentions already, some of which I enjoy thoroughly.

I would add Equistrius (Parfum d'Empire) to the list. The opening can be a little thick, but otherwise, I think it is a very enjoyable fragrance.
    Indeed Equistrius has a very nice iris note. And I would also mention Cuir Ottoman which IMO the ultimate leather/iris sent. Butch leather, hanbag iris and amazingly enough, it works!
    Last edited by cpk; 19th June 2010 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I'm not a fan of Iris Silver Mist actually. I thought it would be dirty and earthy, but it just smells like raw vegetables.

So far, I like Iris Taizo, Iris Pallida, Bois d'Argent and Bois d'Iris. But as a note, I don't like it as much as say vetiver or patchouli.
    ISM is a real odd one. I don't find it hard to wear. The root vegetable vibe tones down a lot after a while. Most of the times I feel that sillage and longevity are below what I would have wanted BUT if you try layering it with anything else (for experimental purposes, not to "improve" it) it simply devowers anything it comes to contact with. I guess the myth about about creating a formula with any known iris extract amped to the max must be true after all!

Iris Pallida is also very good and also very expensive.

MOAR iris for you...

Guerlain L'Apres L'Ondee - anisic delicate violet. 4 Stars for the vintage parfum I tried.

Guerlain L'Heure Bleu - soapy powdery accord with iris. 1 Star - can't stand it, sorry!

Guerlain Iris Ganache - very doughy, sweet, gourmand iris. 3 Stars - nice but not me.

Le Labo Iris 39 - sour, greenish iris. 1.5 Stars.

Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman - leather with an iris drydown. 5 Stars - just love it.

Dr. Vranjes Ambra Iris - animalic patchouli amber, no iris to my nose. 3 Stars.

Prada Infusion d'Homme - clean, soapy iris. 2.5 Stars.

Prada 1 Iris - mild, inoffensive iris. 2 Stars.

And there are still dozens I've yet to try. Now is the era to be in if you love iris - the selection is simply overwhelming.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 19th June 2010 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    ISM is a real odd one. I don't find it hard to wear. The root vegetable vibe tones down a lot after a while. Most of the times I feel that sillage and longevity are below what I would have wanted BUT if you try layering it with anything else (for experimental purposes, not to "improve" it) it simply devowers anything it comes to contact with. I guess the myth about about creating a formula with any known iris extract amped to the max must be true after all!
    ISM is overdosed on the rooty-vegetal iris molecule. The powdery doughy facet does emerge when ISM heads towards the drydown but unfortunately its too little too late. I would have preferred a better balance between the doughy (a more pleasurable iris side for me) and the vegetal strains of iris. Even the mustachioed one said that he just dumped every iris molecule he could lay his hands on into the formula and at times it does feel like it with little direction and too much (discordant) iris family in-fighting for the family fortune.
    -

Has anyone tried Keiko Mecheri's IRIS D'ARGENT and can give a short review?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    Indeed Equistrius has a very nice iris note. And I would also mention Cuir Ottoman which IMO the ultimate leather/iris sent. Butch leather, hanbag iris and amazingly enough, it works!
    Oh boy how did I miss that..... Definitely Cuir Ottoman.

Im currently seeking a bit of Iris , tried and love but have not purchased Le Labo Iris but wanting to try SL ISM but that would be an expensive blind buy , which is best and I appreciate they are probably very different

Thumbs up Re: Iris Lover's...What is what to you????

The amazing DIOR HOMME, IMO the best iris as well as DIVINE'S L'HOMME DE COEUR
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 21st June 2010 at 07:36 AM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes