Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    Can anyone tell me the difference between these two bottles (as in which is the most recent one)?

    Rectangular…


    Cylindrical…

  2. #2

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    I'm pretty sure the rectangular are the EDT and the round the EDP, both the most recent version.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    Hmm...both types on ebay are listed as edt, which doesn't necessarily make it so. I have a question in to one of the sellers. I had a feeling one bottle was was more recent than the other. Thanks, Petra Ichor!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    I have seen Balmain EDT in cylindrical, but they were smaller. Or maybe that photo just looks odd.

    I think I'm wrong, actually - I can see the little grey bow on the cyclindrical one now. I still think they're the same formulation, but the rectangle is the 100ml EDT and the cylindrical the 50ml. I've been eyeing Balmain on eBay over the last month and it looks like a lot of sellers just grab the first picture that comes to hand, whatever size or formulation they are selling. I need to pay more attention!

    I could be wrong again though! I'm off to research so I don't buy the wrong thing (or pay over the odds :)
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    I've been googling and searching around and I can't find anything about the difference in bottle shapes. Difference in sizes makes sense.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    I have the EDT in both the round AND the rectangular bottles.

    The round bottle (sometimes sold with a grey satin ribbon glued on the bottle) is the older. To my knowledge, all of the newer Balmains come in the rectangular bottles.
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th June 2010 at 06:51 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

  7. #7

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    Thanks, Primrose.

  8. #8
    Un profumo affettuoso
    Guest

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I have the EDT in both the round AND the rectangular bottles.

    The round bottle (sometimes sold with a grey satin ribbon glued on the bottle) is the older. To my knowledge, all of the newer Balmains come in the rectangular bottles.
    I second this answer...the "new line" comes in rectangular bottles (like the one of the more recent La Mome). If you can lay your hands on an older version of Jolie Madame- grab it. It's better than the current formula.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    Quote Originally Posted by Un profumo affettuoso View Post
    I second this answer...the "new line" comes in rectangular bottles (like the one of the more recent La Mome). If you can lay your hands on an older version of Jolie Madame- grab it. It's better than the current formula.
    Thanks very much! I bid on one of the older "round shouldered" bottles on ebay (but I lost) because it looked like a vintage bottle. I'll probably pick up one of the newer the newer cylindrical bottles, not the rectangular one.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...



    Can anyone tell me the vintage of this Jolie Madame bottle by the label? The name of the perfume is in a cursive script. The bottle is round shouldered and a splash and the cap is a dull brown plastic. Thanks.
    Last edited by rednails; 1st July 2010 at 02:17 AM.

  11. #11
    Hillaire
    Guest

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    I m pretty sure the round is the 50 ml and the square is the 100, like actias said.

    That's what mine are.

    Can't find a 50 ml square or a 100mlround.
    Hmmm...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    I bid on a round shouldered bottle on ebay but I lost. It had a gold plastic cap. I think it finally went for around $26. The vintage vultures apparently lie in wait until the end of the auction to get into any serious bidding. My way is to just enter the bid I'm comfortable with, and check back later. I can't get into ebay bidding wars in the wee hours. I wasn't heartbroken anyway. I'm not in the mood lately for vintage bottles unless they are somehow miraculously completely fresh (unlikely). Sometimes I'll buy an oldie for nostalgia's sake, but if I don't know the old version I might be just as happy with the latest formulation...unless it's complete crap, and I would rely on you all to tell me that.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 5th July 2010 at 01:13 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    Dear Lillybelle, Don't feel bad. Modern JM is just fine. My vintage JM apparently dates from the 50s or 60s; I have a modern bottle that I purchased last year. Both are EDTs. I'd say that the modern version is as faithful to the old juice as you can get in this day and age. The old stuff is deeper and more animalic, the new stuff sharper, greener and more like violet candy. Modern perfumery just doesn't have access to those old (possibly natural?) civets, musks and ambers, most of which have been outlawed by EU regulations. I would contrast JM to Cabochard, of which I have both vintage and modern versions. The modern Cabochard is a complete bastardization.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Question about Jolie Madame bottles please...

    Quote Originally Posted by rednails View Post
    Dear Lillybelle, Don't feel bad. Modern JM is just fine. My vintage JM apparently dates from the 50s or 60s; I have a modern bottle that I purchased last year. Both are EDTs. I'd say that the modern version is as faithful to the old juice as you can get in this day and age. The old stuff is deeper and more animalic, the new stuff sharper, greener and more like violet candy. Modern perfumery just doesn't have access to those old (possibly natural?) civets, musks and ambers, most of which have been outlawed by EU regulations. I would contrast JM to Cabochard, of which I have both vintage and modern versions. The modern Cabochard is a complete bastardization.

    Thanks, rednails.

Similar Threads

  1. A question about Frapin bottles.
    By Oslo-Fjord in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th December 2009, 09:18 PM
  2. Jolie Madame - Balmain
    By Night in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 28th September 2008, 01:21 PM
  3. Question about bottles without caps?
    By sdmilne in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th May 2007, 06:15 AM
  4. Question about LV bottles
    By juggernet in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7th October 2006, 04:27 PM
  5. Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain
    By RitaMae in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th May 2006, 01:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000