Code of Conduct

Thread: Et tu, Poivre?

Default Et tu, Poivre?

I wonder - am I the only one who's been terribly disappointed by the drastic change in Caron's Poivre? To my nose, in some recent reformulation it's turned from a warm, sweet oriental into quite a harsh, dry spicy fragrance. I'm really quite shocked and more than a little saddened. I barely recognize it.

I notice Farnesiana, my old favorite Caron, has been messed with considerably too ( now there's a whole banana thing going on, and the mimosa in almost not there ). But it's not as damaged as Poivre, to my nose.

The weird thing is, I'm not fondly remembering some Caron of a distant yesteryear, but as near as the ones I sampled in the fall of 2007. That's less than three years ago.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Et tu, Poivre?

I am resurrecting this thread because I just got a sample of Poivre Parfum and am testing on my wrist.

This is not a Caron. I know. I could walk through the eye of a hurricane and stop to pick out a Caron.

What is this, then? Above Suga. is calling it a harsh, dry spicy. Yes, but my first thought was 'this smells like spiced water'.

Nope, nope, nope. Caron, take this away and don't let me see you do this again.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Glad it's not just me! I know others disagree on this, but with Poivre most of all of the Carons there's been this Invasion Of The Body Snatchers thing going on in the reformulations. Every time I smell the current Poivre I just think "This is simply not Poivre".

Your Caron-sense hasn't failed you. Old Poivre is no more, and has been replaced by Golconda on testosterone ( or possibly Comme des Garcons EdP in a dress - choose your own metaphor ).

If I'd known three years ago what I knew now, I'd have bought as much Poivre and Farnesiana as I could. They really need to give us fragrance fans a year's heads up on these reformulations!

What of Coup de Fouet? Is this still unchanged?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Coup de Fouet was discontinued last I heard - am I wrong?

The version I tried was much in line with current Poivre, but I've only tried this year's or what's left of the stock, I can't compare. ( I do believe it's always been the more fiery cousin of the formerly voluptuous Poivre, however. )

Personally I find it much more wearable than modern Poivre, which I find harsh. Coup de Fouet is bracing rather than searing, not too far removed from Diptyque's L'Eau.

I haven't tried Coup de Fouet. I'm still shell shocked over thie Poivre. I have never, let me say again: never, tried a Caron parfum that I did not like.

But moving on... my shelf is full of ones I do :-)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

The Poivre sample I got from Caron at the beginning of 2010 smelled like straight-up clove bud essential oil with occasional vague hints of cinnamon. I don't own the sample anymore.

I haven't tried Poivre but I was very disappointed when I sampled Coup de Fouet. it wasn't as spicy and rich as I had expected. Now Coup de Fouet is discontinued. On Les Senteur's web site they reccomend Frederic Malle's Noir Epices as an alternative. What do you say about that?

For those wanting a richer more floral Coup de Fouet I highly recommend JAR's Golconda, but that is very pricey. If you want a much stronger, more oriental fragrance, Comme des Garcon Eau de Parfum is a good choice. If you just want a much stronger Coup du Fouet, Poivre is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Coup de Fouet was discontinued last I heard - am I wrong?

The version I tried was much in line with current Poivre, but I've only tried this year's or what's left of the stock, I can't compare. ( I do believe it's always been the more fiery cousin of the formerly voluptuous Poivre, however. )

Personally I find it much more wearable than modern Poivre, which I find harsh. Coup de Fouet is bracing rather than searing, not too far removed from Diptyque's L'Eau.
    Can someone verify if this is discontinued? It's still up on the Caron Web site.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Resurrecting this thread...
    Coup de Fouet is not discontinued, but obviously only available from Caron in Paris. It comes in the Pour un Homme bottle.
    With regard to Poivre ) I have to admit I was really disappointed by vintage Poivre, which is really a different perfume from today's Poivre. First, I wasn't sure whether it wasn't mixed up with Or et Noir. It smelled so dark-rosy, so reminiscent of the typical Caron rose, maybe a tad spicier. I would have wanted something in between the old and the current Poivre. However, I have grown to like the current Poivre a lot. It is wonderful used together with Coup de Fouet.

I may need to re-approach the current formulation now that some time has past since the reformulation. I do miss the old creaminess, but among clove-bombs ( and I don't mean that as an insult ), it's still excellent. It's alarming to see a forest turn into a desert, but one can still appreciate the bleak beauty of the latter...