Code of Conduct

Default Urban Legend Scents

MikePerez had a great line on the L'Artisan Vetiver (1978) thread: he joked that he wasn't sure it ever really existed, and always thought it was an "urban legend" scent. Maybe I exaggerate his point a bit, but I love the idea of urban legend scents--ones that are magic elixirs off in the clouds or history or some other impossible dreamland place. Scents that you've never seen or smelled, but heard of their ideal qualities.

Which scents have urban legend status to you?

(I'm so proud I've got L'Artisan's Vetiver, Patchouli, and Santal, all of the 1978 release. Seems like they should belong to the urban legendary. Lucky me!)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Urban Legend Scents

Soir d'Orient by MPG & Lust by S-Perfume.

Great thread idea!

The first one that comes to mind is the somewhat murky background of Kolnisch Juchten, formerly made by Farina and now made by "Regence", a line that doesn't seem to exist anywhere but a tiny store in San Francisco called Jacqueline Perfumery. I have been in the store and seen the Kolnisch Juchten on offer, and it is a little like seeing a pterodactyl fly by.

Sex Panther by Odeon, illegal in nine countries and made with bits of real panther.

Isn't Creed mainly an "urban legend" that they themselves started? LOL.

I would have to say Alyssa Ashley Civet Oil. I've heard of people searching for this forever, although I've never seen a bottle myself.

Blog Entries

Le Feu d'Issey is definitely legendary. Got to sniff it, too.

My personal urban legend is this cheap old Mennen scent called "Trouble" from back in the Hai Karate days. It was like a really peppery version of Brut - great stuff, and actually rather novel, IMO. The weird thing is how little information there is on it. I have found a single reference on the internet - in a financial article on the outlook for the brand. People don't believe me about this stuff - nobody seems to have even heard of it. And THAT has the feeling of an urban legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

My personal urban legend is this cheap old Mennen scent called "Trouble" from back in the Hai Karate days. It was like a really peppery version of Brut - great stuff, and actually rather novel, IMO. The weird thing is how little information there is on it. I have found a single reference on the internet - in a financial article on the outlook for the brand. People don't believe me about this stuff - nobody seems to have even heard of it. And THAT has the feeling of an urban legend.
    I had Trouble, which I received as a Christmas present when I was in junior high. I wish I still had it. I remember the commercial: "A little Trouble in the morning, and you'll have trouble all day," with a man fending off lucious women all around him. I also haven't been able to find much about it. It really did exist though! Neat bottle with emerald green juice.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...903255,00.html

Red, is this the article you referenced about Mennen "Trouble"?
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Geoffrey Beene's last, unreleased, scent: Domino Red. Beene himself mentioned wearing it in an interview shortly before his death, here. The name is trademarked so we may yet see this one day, though I doubt it will be the same one he wore.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

I might have one. It's a set of soap, powder, cologne (all gone), and afterhave (never used) that I got from an older relative. The name is Polynesian Jade, apparently an attempt to make money off the popularity of Jade East (just my guess). It actually smells pretty good (there was a drop or so remaining of the cologne), relative to what I expected. Has anyone else seen this?

Basenotes Institution

LOL - great thread DustB.

I think one of the things I have realized about this hobby, is the the sheer amount of different fragrances that have been released over the years. After all of the time I spend on BN, after I've tested so many fragrances there are certain fragrances that always seem a bit 'out of reach' to me. I never see a bottle. I never see them for sale online, etc. And of course, this only creates a curious desire to know what it smells like. Especially when it's from a line I've come to expect.

Case in point: Djedi by Guerlain. It's discontinued. It's Guerlain. Many people I know sing it's praises of leather/vetiver. Of course I want to smell it before I die, but will I? Stuff like this drives me crazy, which only goes to prove I belong here at Basenotes.

Some people believed Givenchy Vetyver (1959) never existed until the reissue a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th June 2010 at 05:39 AM.

I've smelled (and not liked) the old original Gucci scent for men, so it does exist. Fool that I am I didn't buy it. Something of that vintage I would have come around on for sure.

Trouble? I've got a mostly full bottle. Good smelling stuff too. Reminds me somewhat of something like a cross between Skin Bracer and Brut but better balanced. As much as I like it I can't bear to wear it for fear it will be impossible to replace. A mostly full bottle went for big bucks recently on ebay.

A little bird tell me that the NASA have a bottle of Creed from 1950!!!!!!!! it`s true this friends?
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Point Blank

Genghis Khan.

Kouros Eau De Sport

Apparently, Andrewthecologneguy has the last remaining bottle on Earth.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th June 2010 at 05:36 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

My urban legend list definitely features several reformulations. Last summer I got to see Levon Helm play but his throat was trashed and he sang nary a note. Still great to see the man but how great to have heard him sing in his full strength when he was still a hand full. Things like Mitsouko, Antaeus and No.88 feel sort of like that.
    In a way the thing that I feel most grateful for in my collection is a bottle of Halston Z-14 from the early 80's. Even that may not be exactly what it was when I rocked it with flowing mullet, but it's still a lot of mossy/woodsy/spicy goodness and a chunk of legend.
    Cool thread, Chris.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 20th June 2010 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Case in point: Djedi by Guerlain. It's discontinued. It's Guerlain. Many people I know sing it's praises of leather/vetiver. Of course I want to smell it before I die, but will I? Stuff like this drives me crazy, which only goes to prove I belong here at Basenotes.
    You can purchase it at TPC. $19.99 for .25 ml.

Nichole Miller for Men. I have a bottle that I assume is the new version. I like it but I would really like to get some of the original - or at least try it.

Shiseido - Nombre Noir.

I envy your L'Artisan collection DustB

You had to remind of this one? I had an SA sell me a bottle in the 90s. It was in the men's section and she billed it as a new men's scent.
    I tried to wear it a couple of times and it was just too feminine for me. But it was a magnificent scent.

I tried to give to a couple of different women who didn't like it. It got tossed in my pre-Basenotes days. D'OH!

I've got a story, but it's a bit of a reach. I still think of it as an urban legend lost scent though.

An old girlfriend took me to a hole in the wall vegan hippy breakfast place out in the formerly rural suburbs once. I love getting eats at places like this, so don't think I knock it on principle, but it was a caricature of itself--all the things you hate in what should be a good weekend morning breakfast joint with tofu scramble. The indoor tables were folding card tables or picnic benches, you go get your own water, the food arrives after ages of a wait, and your dining partner's food gets there later still. There's deserters in the kitchen jungle don't know the Vietnam War is over. All that great stuff.

Anyway, we ate there and the food was great even if they forgot a topping or two we ordered. Next door and attached through a large pass-through was a pagan/new age crystals, god's eyes, and other weird craft gift shop. Again, I rely on a dreadful and mocking stereotype, but I can't help it. This store was the kind of place that thought witches had the truest religion, and had lots of apparent wiccan practice gear. The sales people there were very kind and friendly. They had a case of jewelry. In that case were a few bottles of apparently locally made perfumes.

I can't remember what mythic logo images were on the atomizer labels, but kinghts and maidens and Pegasus would probably be a fair guess. I smelled one of ones with a knight, some guy with a codpiece, or a troll on it, or a dragon, I can't remember. Rose, cucumber maybe, sandalwood, maybe a hint of geranium, a light metallic base of something. I couldn't place the scent but I knew it reminded me strongly of something, and I knew I liked it, but had still not wanted to pay as much as US$40 for what must have been about 3 liquid ounces.

Twenty five or thirty miles back toward the city on the highway it hit me--that was a dead ringer for Patou Pour Homme! What a fool I had been not to peg it there in the store and drop the cash to be able to get a version of the scent that was cheap enough to wear casually even! It wasn't a perfect duplicate, but it had the elements of wonder just right, and getting it would have been as fun as finding a bottle of the real thing. Even more fun, really, since it would be wearable instead of "sacred" like the diminishing supply of the real stuff.

Damn, lost. So now there's an urban legend of a Patou Pour Homme duplicate cheaply available at some hippie cafe/wiccan supply stores out there. Probably has Pegasus or a unicorn on its label too.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    [...]

Damn, lost. So now there's an urban legend of a Patou Pour Homme duplicate cheaply available at some hippie cafe/wiccan supply stores out there. Probably has Pegasus or a unicorn on its label too.
    Wow. Patou PH and unicorns. What more does an urban legend need?

Actually, though, I really need to thank you for bringing this up, as it triggered off a memory of mine about an EXACT duplicate of Sonoma Scent Studio's Sienna Musk in the form of a cheap oil called Krishna Musk by Song of India. I've been trying to remember its name for months, and your post jarred me into a frenetic search of "[various prefixes] of India musk" until I found it again!

Nombre Noir - Shiseido (tried the EDP but not parfum)
    Chanel - Bois Noir (a precursor to Egoiste - I never tried it)
    MPG - Soir D'Orient (own a bottle!)
    Santal, Vetiver, Patchouli - L'Artisan (I owned the first 2, I wonder if I sold them to DustB like my flacon of Vintage Tabarome)
    Patou Pour Homme (the greatest)
    Macassar - Rochas (own and covet this, should have its own fan club)
    Portos - Aramis (not to be confused with Balenciaga's Portos which is a powerhouse) (I used to own a bottle of the Aramis - great stuff)
    Blend 30 - Dunhill (I recently got a bottle of this - great stuff!)
    I'm sure theres many more I'm missing
    Last edited by AZsmells; 21st June 2010 at 01:43 AM.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I had Trouble, which I received as a Christmas present when I was in junior high. I wish I still had it. I remember the commercial: "A little Trouble in the morning, and you'll have trouble all day," with a man fending off lucious women all around him. I also haven't been able to find much about it. It really did exist though! Neat bottle with emerald green juice.
    Hooray! I'm not the only one! Thanks for validating my memory! Yeah, the bottle and juice were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...903255,00.html

Red, is this the article you referenced about Mennen "Trouble"?
    It may be - or else the one I saw was derived from the same original. Some of the linked article seems different, but it could be the same one. THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    Trouble? I've got a mostly full bottle. Good smelling stuff too. Reminds me somewhat of something like a cross between Skin Bracer and Brut but better balanced. As much as I like it I can't bear to wear it for fear it will be impossible to replace. A mostly full bottle went for big bucks recently on ebay.
    Yes - hang onto it! That's good stuff - refrigerator-worthy! I just wish they would bring it back. It's not like Vintage Tabarome or whatever - I'm sure they could bring it back without depleting the world of Mysore sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    You had to remind of this one? I had an SA sell me a bottle in the 90s. It was in the men's section and she billed it as a new men's scent.
    I tried to wear it a couple of times and it was just too feminine for me. But it was a magnificent scent.

I tried to give to a couple of different women who didn't like it. It got tossed in my pre-Basenotes days. D'OH!
    [Mr. Bill Voice]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O![/Mr. Bill Voice]

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    LMAO

Damn you Suga - I laughed so hard my wife demanded an explanation. And it was NOT EASY.

As I do have Nombre Noir, Djedi, both Kolnisch Juchtens (Farina and Regence), Juchten by 4711, Troika 4711, Eau Vetiver de Givenchy from 1970s, Macassar Rochas in my collection (and have held Artisans, Kouros Sport, etc. in my own hands) - so I could confirm they does exist.
    Actually every bottle could be found - it takes just some time and money.

I`d like to try Patou pour homme, Iris Gris, Bleu de Chanel (old), original 1917 Chypre Coty and original Mitsouko.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Genghis Khan.
    Exactly.

I'd like to smell the classics when they were new and full of the best nitro musks and/or natural musks.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st June 2010 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post

Actually, though, I really need to thank you for bringing this up, as it triggered off a memory of mine about an EXACT duplicate of Sonoma Scent Studio's Sienna Musk in the form of a cheap oil called Krishna Musk by Song of India. I've been trying to remember its name for months, and your post jarred me into a frenetic search of "[various prefixes] of India musk" until I found it again!

Song of India also do that oil as a solid perfume

Modernis

Hillaire

The great ones I feel I should know, but how??

Vintage Fougere Royale
    Crepe de Chene
    Charles of the Ritz
    Woodhue

Though I have been lucky to experience some rare and legendary others.

What about the "One That Got Away"?
    I traded a seventies vintage bottle of Parure for some newer Chant d'Aromes once. You could still get the bee-bottle kind back then. SIGH.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 24th June 2010 at 03:07 AM.

The one that drops panties in one sniff..............