Code of Conduct

Default Do your pets like your fragrances?

I'm a huge dog lover, and I have 2 wonderful dogs. Most of the time, I notice them sneezing around my fragrances.. more so when I first spray them on and they're in the top notes phase. But, just earlier I put on some Kanon Norwegian Wood (which is my cheap alternative to Tam Dao) and I noticed my older dog, who's a Brittany/Lab mix, (and quite possibly the smartest, sharpest, most noble and most cunning dog I've ever seen) was immensely intrigued by it. Maybe because of the smell of sandalwood as it's more natural and something a dog would find more in their surroundings. He kept sniffing and searching when I exited the room. After seeing him so curious from a distance, I went back with the bottle and sprayed 2 sprays in the air. Again he appeared very intrigued, and eventually when the scent vanished from in the air, he began smelling and licking the tile.

Afterwards, I put him in his crate and he began to cry, which is unusual for him. I went back yet again with the spray and sprayed 2 sprays on a Suncast crate/seat that I keep his food in, outside of his crate, about an inch or 2 away. He went to town smelling again and then started to smile. I found the whole ordeal very cute, and plan on trying it again with other fragrances soon.

Anybody else notice their pets to be intrigued by any fragrance?

Just for a picture to paint with the story, here is a pic of him.

Default Re: Do your pets like your fragrances?

Thank you for sharing the pic!

Our pets do not enjoy fragrances, but sniff when I wear a new one. Some veterinarians recommend scent diffusers of lavender and/or peppermint essential oil for calming pets.
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th June 2010 at 12:47 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thank you for sharing the pic!

Our pets do not enjoy fragrances, but sniff when I wear a new one. Some veterinarians recommend scent diffusers of lavender and/or peppermint essential oil for calming pets.
    Interesting, I will have to check into that. I would love for my dogs to become little Basenoters themselves! LOL, although the other one would probably just drink the fragrance oil.

My mother's dog loves me beyond all reason, and part of it I think is because I smell different every time I visit!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

My cat loves it- most cats do. He puts his nose right up against my skin, and either puts his ears back or forward depending on his opinion. Generally he likes the "womens" frags more than the "mens". I think he just likes the floral notes.
    Last edited by blondex199667; 20th June 2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: spelling error

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

My two cats sniff, make a face and back away from anything I put on.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Seems like we think alike! However, when I started a similar thread a couple of years ago, I was ridiculed (not that I care LOL). My dog usually likes the smell of a frag for a few seconds, then turns away. I let it smell the sprayer right after taking the cap off.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th June 2010 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Seems like we think alike! However, when I started a similar thread a couple of years ago, I was ridiculed (not that I care LOL). My dog usually likes the smell of a frag for a few seconds, then turns away. I let it smell the sprayer right after taking the cap off.
    I don't recall ridiculing you for THAT, Bigsly.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I didn't say that you did, DustB ! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I didn't say that you did, DustB ! LOL.
    Another foolish mistake I averted! (Relief face)

I currently don't have a pet. However, I have made note that animals are mostly not fond of Kouros.

My cat (RIP) used to love many of my frags.

Mine have good taste and adore L'Ombre Fauve. I bet they think they have a sexy smelling alpha

I have two big boy cats, real lovey guys. They like snuggling up with me more when I'm fragrace-free.

I tried Obession for Men around them, per the recent news story about how scientists use it in the wild to attract big cats. Didn't do a thing for my guys.

I've also read that cats hate the smell of clove. Might be true. My cats won't come near me when I wear Creed Ambre Canalle, which I think has a touch of clove. Then again, my wife won't come near me when I have that on either. It would be distinctly ungentlemanly to suggest a connection. . .

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    It would be distinctly ungentlemanly to suggest a connection. . .
    Good choice

We got our son a bottle of a hugo knock-off (that stuff they sell at wallyworld) for his first cologne (he's ten and picked it out himself). Everytime he sprays it our dog chases him around trying to "get it on".

Pet or other animal interest in certain fragrances doesn't surprise me since some notes mimic or are actual pheromones. The "arse note" is certain to get a dog's attention.

mine just likes the smell of my used clothes for that day. he never seems to like his own rugs that he sleeps on. he always has to get my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    My cats do *exactly* the same thing.

I have two pugs and I've never felt as though they notice my fragrances until about one week ago when I found out that one of my pugs is all about the fragrance. I'd had a day of sampling at Barney's and when I got home I sat on the floor to play with both my dogs and greet them after being away from them for hours. I noticed that my little boy was very interested in my left arm. I shooed him away and he came right back to my arm and kept sniffing until I finally decided to get off the floor. I really wish I could remember specifically which fragrances I was wearing. I do know that the brands on that particular arm were Yosh, Frederic Malle and Nanadebary. I guess the scents that are currently in my wardrobe aren't good enough for my little boy pug. He's got good taste though. :-)

When I had a dog, he never liked the smell of any fragrance.

Sur la Plage

My dog has no reaction (positive or negative) to my fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Charlie is my fragrance dog who is quite taken with scents I wear with civet. The smell of Jicky gets to him.

I remember my cat licking some Arabie from my arm, but most of the time he doesn´t care at all. Maybe he only likes the expensive stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    /Agree

A couple years ago I was talking to someone on horseback and the horse was really into my wrist with Habit Rouge on it.

We have 6 cats at home, and two of our females - Pepper and Chanel - really enjoy nuzzling into my 'fragrance points.' The other four couldn't care less.