Code of Conduct

Default A*Men Pure Coffee, Rochas Man, New Haarlem

Am sitting here with A*men Pure Coffee on one arm, Bond No. 9 New Haarlem on the other and Rochas Man on the back of my hand. New Haarlem and Rochas are soooo similar with Pure Coffee a not to distance difference. Can any shed some light on this, I can't justify the price of the Bond when Rochas is so close.
    Last edited by neal; 20th June 2010 at 01:06 AM.

Default Re: A*Men Pure Coffee, Rochas Man, New Haarlem

Your nose might be on overload by now. I always give each frag a full wear on its own to get a feel for it. Smelling you hand might not be enough.

If you can't decide, you can look over the anecdotal evidence on the forum about which one gets the most compliments from women. I think out of those three it's Rochas. Presuming you care about that.

A*men Pure Coffee is very different from the other two you mention IMO. A lot of coffee (of course), and a little dryer. I think it may also be the best of the three.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th June 2010 at 01:50 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    A*men Pure Coffee is very different from the other two you mention IMO. A lot of coffee (of course), and a little dryer. I think it may also be the best of the three.
    I agree with everything that you've said, almost everything EXCEPT that Pure coffee is the worst of the three. The coffee note is so realistic in it and being the coffee hater that I am, it was hard for me to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I agree with everything that you've said, almost everything EXCEPT that Pure coffee is the worst of the three. The coffee note is so realistic in it and being the coffee hater that I am, it was hard for me to like it.

Gupts,
    What kind of dog is that in your avatar?
    Neal

Any other subtle gourmand coffees in the Rochas, New Haarlem vein?
    Last edited by neal; 20th June 2010 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Any other subtle gourmand coffees in the Rochas, New Haarlem vein?
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme might fit the bill. I'm still waiting for my sample, so I can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Gupts,
    What kind of dog is that in your avatar?
    Neal
    Neal, that is a dog picture I cut out from a pet food advert.
    I just thought the german shepherd pup looked so cute.

They all have a strong coffee note, but otherwise, they are very much different, at least to me. Rochas Man gets the most compliments because it's the most available on the market and the cheapest, so more people smell it. I own all three, and I"m on the fence with all three and I'm not even a coffee note lover. I have enjoyed all of them though at various times. I used to find the opening of New Haarlem magical with the smokiness added to the sweetness, but it's so rich and as a result can dry down and be flat and thick, if that makes any sense. Of the three, I may like the drydown of Pure Coffee the most, although Rochas is undeniably a very pleasant scent.

To my nose, I get much more of a caramel-tonka type smell in New Haarlem. I have yet to try to Pure Coffee but I do like (but not love A-Men). But for my money, Rochas is the best of them. It has a light sweetness I can't quite place, and is much more subtle (yet still noticeable) in my mind. Almost like you get waves of the scent. New Haarlem & A-men are much more bombastic, i think. If that is what you are going for (maybe for a club type setting of college party or something) then it is something to consider. But I agree with you: Bond is a no go for me since it's most expensive and least pleasurable.

A*men Pure Coffee and Rochas Man are good choices. The Bond is not worth it IMO.

the way i see it is:

rochas man: 70% green notes, 30% mocha coffee notes

new haarlem: 70% mocha coffee notes, 30% green notes

i prefer new haarlem but i will say rochas man is one hell of a scent for the price.

Amen pure coffee to me is a distant last. it smells like dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee. its unwearable to me for some reason.
    Last edited by Armor King; 21st June 2010 at 07:14 AM.

So NY from Bond No.9 is just as good as all mentioned..
    Im the be$t @ thi$

New Haarlem is my favorite fragrance ever. Rochas smells like cheap plastic. Haven't had the pleasure of A*Men Pure Coffee.