Code of Conduct

Default Question for the men.. (mostly)

Okay, so here's something that's been on my mind for quite a while. A lot of men wear fragrances to pick up women, right? But, do women feel the same way when they put on a fragrance? Personally, I'm not at all attracted to most women's fragrances when a woman wears it.

For me, my fragrance wearing is more of a personal thing, more of an art and a hobby, but there are certain fragrances that I wear, that after using them enough, I know turn the ladies on.

So to get more to the point, my question is.. Are there any men that get turned on by a woman wearing a fragrance, as a woman would feel about a man wearing one?
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 20th June 2010 at 06:08 AM.

Default Re: Question for the men.. (mostly)

Who knows. I've been wearing fragrances so long, so many different ones, and through so many different circumstances that I now think it is I women like when they like me. And it is I they don't like when they don't like me and all that. I no longer think the plus or minus comes from a fragrance I wear.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

So to get more to the point, my question is.. Are there any men that get turned on by a woman wearing a fragrance, as a woman would feel about a man wearing one?
    I've been turned on by a woman's fragrance. Very much so. It's never made me want to propose marriage to a girl, and it's not the main thing I'm attracted to. My primary attraction is to how she looks, scent is a cherry on top.

Whoops, fool that I am I see I blanked out thinking about the real question here. Sorry about that.

I'll say that yes, when I like a woman and she's in a smell I like, yes, it's a whopper of a wonderful thing for me since I think I might be talking to a kindred spirit in the sense that she knows about the power of scent.

I remember a few years ago we had a member who told of being in a bar and correctly identifying that a woman there was wearing Vent Vert. I was jealous of him. So yes, when a woman is in a compelling fragrance, one could say that my pants get suddenly tight.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

^^ LOL ya, I had to reread your first response about 12 times. No prob.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    So yes, when a woman is in a compelling fragrance, one could say that my pants get suddenly tight.
    LOL!

I'm the opposite actually. I prefer women who are not overly made up and so for perfume, I like them sheer and fresh, ie. should only smell it if I'm really close by. If it's strong enough that I can smell it without leaning in, it's too strong and it turns me off.

Put me in the category of liking a scented woman. I don't care what they wear as long as it's not overly cheap smelling. I don't care if they wear it "loud" if they've taken care to chose a good scent for themselves. A woman I'm attracted to is great. An attractive woman who smells good is like a superstar baseball player corking their bat.

I've always found the really smart women have a knack for wearing their scent at a level that attacks -- then recedes to invite you in closer. Love that and many women are very, very skilled at it. We should all be so smart. A few come to mind in my life. It's brilliant.

I don't have specific scents that I prefer, but then again, Angel for women makes me rabid. Fortunately, or not, most women in my dating range don't wear it.

I got a big kick out of a woman who I met recently. She was wearing Opium (and I'm kind of shocked I know that). She pulled me in and "marked" me with it. I could smell it on myself a hour later.

Brilliant. She read me perfectly.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 20th June 2010 at 06:53 AM.

Sometimes a little bit of the right fragrance can turn an ordinary situation into one of the most profound, even transformational experiences.

I smelled Tresor on an older beautiful woman and it's one of the most pleasant memories I own. I was attracted to her anyway, but the scent amplified it a hundred times.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th June 2010 at 06:25 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    ...... should only smell it if I'm really close by. If it's strong enough that I can smell it without leaning in, it's too strong and it turns me off.
    Ditto for me regarding dudes
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I was attracted to her anyway, but the scent amplified it a hundred times.
    Boy, second that.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 20th June 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Okay, so here's something that's been on my mind for quite a while. A lot of men wear fragrances to pick up women, right? But, do women feel the same way when they put on a fragrance? Personally, I'm not at all attracted to most women's fragrances when a woman wears it.

For me, my fragrance wearing is more of a personal thing, more of an art and a hobby, but there are certain fragrances that I wear, that after using them enough, I know turn the ladies on.

Woman turns me on, not her fragrance. I believe it's the same thing with women when it comes to men. Though I do know that women are more sophisticated and girlfriends, girl friends, female acquaintances will notice a scent and say ˝mmm you smell nice˝. Recently I got that comment wearing a Boss in Motion Black whilst I was giving a bye bye hug to my female friend from college days. Most of ppl think scent can be pu**y magnet. They're wrong. Women put fragrances for other reasons, there is a strong and long fragrance culture amongst women - they're taught from small age to smell nice. To me, fragrances are a hobby, but when I go on a date I do take time to think what'll spray myself with Girls do appreciate a guy smelling nice, they really do, but that's it, smelling nice itself will not attract them, it's just a prop. From women perspective, really, all that is required from us is to be clean, and that we do not stink, watch for nails, girls are sensitive about guys finger nails
    Last edited by Zgb; 20th June 2010 at 08:43 AM.

I think in society we are very used to females in general smelling nice, fruity or floral in general. It doesn't strike us as surprising if a woman walks down the street with a fragrance, we just notice that she's wearing a fragrance and that's it.

When a guy however, puts on a fragrance, that's a pleasant surprise to women.

I think generally, if you ask a girl what their impressions or stereotypes are about guys in general, they'll thinking of sweaty, smelly men who likes to jokes around with a beer in their hand (mostly). If a man wears a fragrance, a good fragrance especially, it invokes a greater response and curiosity in women. "This guy is different, what is it about him?"

That's my take anyway

I generally do not like female fragrances, so i must say no..

I am a big fan of good grooming practices. A woman who obviously takes care of herself - good clothes, hair, makeup, and fragrace - yes, that all goes a long way with me. Of course, it's all a lost cause if she's grossly out of shape and/or a real bitch. The best-looking, most well-groomed woman might as well smell like dog shit if she has a horrible personality.

I would say absolutely. I can think of three or four ex-girlfriends, whose memory I so closely associate with a scent, it's a bit surprising, even to me. Not something I had actually thought a lot about before. That said, my wife has never been a big fragrance person... but she doesn't need it.

I have to side with a good scent on an an attractive woman is a turn on. As vulcan said, it's the cherry on top. However, there have been times when I've smelled a perfume and was compelled to find who was wearing it.

I also think that it's true that a woman smelling good tends to go hand-in-hand with good grooming.

No, I don't like women wearing loud fragrances in public areas.

Last edited by The_Cologneist; 20th June 2010 at 02:58 PM.

I suppose I would feel like a hypocrite if I didn't appreciate a woman's attempt to smell nice. It does seem that women usually have a stronger
    plume of scent then guys for the most part. I find that a lot of perfumes smell great, but also some are pretty rank as well. I know that certain women have no problem telling me that my cologne smells bad. I wonder if women are told as much by men regarding their perfume?

As others have mentioned, the attraction has to be there but when the lady is in the right scent, the attraction gets amplified.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

What is entirely worrying when I think about it is this: I like it very much when a woman wears a fragrance which fits her. For some women this is a loud fragrance and others a quiet one, some floral, some earthy etc. To me a woman who knows herself well enough to wear something that really fits is very alluring.
    The concern is that I wear so many different things on different days. I think these reflect differing moods and aspects of myself, but I'm sure my internal variations are far greater than those apparent from the outside. Which leaves me with the possibility that I don't really know what fits me...
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

And now for something completely different, a gay man's random thoughts on what smells sexy on a female. I work in the fashion industry and I'm constantly around young female models - I especially love the beautiful, pale skinned, Eastern European girls - they never wear fragrances to work, but they always smell of beauty products, lipsticks, powders, hair product, etc. I find the smell of these things to be incredibly sexy and subtle.

On virtually no occasion so far, t was merely the fragrance alone which attracted my attention (or even more), but if I already feel drawn to a lady's beauty, intellect, class, if she also wears almost any good fragrance, it influences (though rarely decisively) my already positive impression of her
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 20th June 2010 at 04:21 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I've always found the really smart women have a knack for wearing their scent at a level that attacks -- then recedes to invite you in closer. Love that and many women are very, very skilled at it. We should all be so smart. A few come to mind in my life. It's brilliant.
    LOL, how true! Catching elusive whiffs of a divine scent from an attractive woman is a fantastic experience. Being 'marked' with it like a memorable calling card is definitely another. Which is why I have strongly positive associations with Chanel Coco and RL Safari.

I've date women that have worn horrible fragrances (minus cigarette smoking which loath) to the point of me telling them to stop wearing it around me.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    What is entirely worrying when I think about it is this: I like it very much when a woman wears a fragrance which fits her. For some women this is a loud fragrance and others a quiet one, some floral, some earthy etc. To me a woman who knows herself well enough to wear something that really fits is very alluring.
    The concern is that I wear so many different things on different days. I think these reflect differing moods and aspects of myself, but I'm sure my internal variations are far greater than those apparent from the outside. Which leaves me with the possibility that I don't really know what fits me...
    I hear you on this hirch. One of the most alluring women that ever showed up in my life wore the same scent all the time.

Makes me wonder at times if I'd be better off picking just one or two scents and rolling with them for consistency.

But....

Naw.

Yes! Givenchy Hot Couture.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

One of the few things I appreciate about women (I usually pay them about as much attention as I do clouds in the sky) is that they will wear a fragrance and enough of it to leave a wake. For example, I was up in SF yesterday and passed a woman in a UPS uniform wearing something I eventually recognized as Bulgari Black.

When I was in Paris last year, I came across four African women promenading down a narrow street in the Marais. They were apparently out shopping, well dressed in colorful African finery, in very good spirits, and surrounded by a cloud of Mitsouko. A memorable moment.

... So to get more to the point, my question is, are there any men that get turned on by a woman wearing a fragrance, as a woman would feel about a man wearing one?
    It is part of a combination of things provideded these are as expected - I am refering to the way she is dressed, her hair, they way she wears make up, her demeanour, her tone of voice... etc. I am pretty sure it is not the sole factor for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    No, I don't like women wearing loud fragrances in public areas.
    Same here.

Its so funny that this thread should be posted as recently I've discovered that I am becoming a HUGE fragrance snob when it comes to my dealings with girls. Because I spend so much time thinking about which fragrances to wear and when to wear them, I unconsciously have high expectations for the scent of any girl I may be seeing/dating. Unfortunately, as you all can imagine, I don't often meet girls who commit as much thought to their fragrances as we do, and therefore I'm usually underwhelmed by the quality of the perfume I come across. In fact, most girls I date smell of something simple like cheap body spray or lotion, the kind you pick up at Bath & Body Works or Victoria Secret. Mind you, the girls are usually 20-25 yrs old, so maybe they have not yet discovered the joy of fine perfumery. Can't wait to date a real fume-head like myself!

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    Can't wait to date a real fume-head like myself!
    Be careful what you wish for...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    They never wear fragrances to work, but they always smell of beauty products, lipsticks, powders, hair product, etc. I find the smell of these things to be incredibly sexy and subtle.
    I agree with Kevin (as well as the person who said he generally doesn't like woman's scents).....perhaps I'm not a purist, but as my interest in fragrance grows it still hinges on my two main motivations: 1) something that I like/heightens my confidence or mood 2) attracting women.
    Primarily, I do it for myself, as I rarely receive compliments from women regarding my fragrance, but when I do, I find it a great ice breaker/mood setter.

As for what a woman wears, it's probably akin to makeup: I generally prefer more naturally looking women as opposed to the other extreme who have heavily panted faces one step below a clown's. Unless she has b.o., a woman's scent is probably taking a back set for my attention to her face, body, etc.

Though this thread isn't meant for me, I must add that fragrance - all fragrance, male or female - doesn't influence my attraction to a guy one way or another, except in the sense of smelling nice being better than BO.

That being said, I'd get interested in anyone who wore a fragrance I liked.

Boss Deep Red and Dior Hypnotic Poison make me crazy

I remember working at Spencer Gifts in 1980. I was dating a girl that worked with me. I was somewhat ambivalent about my feelings towards her, but her perfume (Chimere by Prince Matchebelli, I believe) made me more attracted to her or more turned on least.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Boy, second that.
    ≥!!!

Late to the party here, but I think many men use scent because they think it will attract women. How many noobs do we have here each month asking, "Which scent will drive women crazy?" or some variation thereof? We then direct them to those ever-getting-longer stickies on favoured scents.

Wearing scent (in this day, that is) is a sign of good grooming, and perfumes will always be a symbol of seduction (Cleopatra was to have scented the sails of her royal barge with perfume before she seduced Mark Antony.)

In truth, we're scent-lovers. A person wearing scent will always turn our heads.
    Last edited by Primrose; 22nd June 2010 at 04:32 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I love a woman to smell great. And yes it does turn me on. My gf wearing LP No.9 smells like sex on a stick, pure heaven.

From my point of view, I wear fragrances for me, if a woman likes it, then that's a bonus.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...