Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Recommendations for the most HOT/HUMID places

I live in a very hot and humid country but most of my fragrances are gourmand. But I do confess that when it's really hot I need a fresh/clean fixation which I still haven't come across and still on the look-out

Anyone know if Mugler Cologne would work well in these places?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Based on previous posts, I think you will that BNers who actually live in those climates wear anything they want to. They do not limit themselves to light, fresh scents.
    I think it's one thing if one lives in a hot/humid region and becomes used to it, but different altogether if you're just visiting/traveling, in which case it can be a hell of a shock to one's system. I lived in West Africa for 8 months, which is actually no hotter than an eastern USA summer, but it still took me 3-4 months before I was used to living in it and could just walk around comfortably and not be bothered by how hot and sticky I was.

I think the recommendations of Angelique sous la Pluie and Eau de Gentiane Blanche are good. Neither are too sweet.

If it were me, I'd probably just bring a large bottle of 4711.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    ...I want to ask, so do these extremely hot and humid climates definitely affect what you wear outside?
    The heat/humidity affects the frags themselves, amping up (mainly) the basenotes, but do not affect choice of frag worn, since heat/humidity is with us almost all year round.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

In those climates I usually wear things like Chanel Eau de Cologne, Eau de Guerlain, Eau Sauvage, and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I sure as hell don't wear heavy orientals when it's 120f and 90% humidity.

Cool Re: Recommendations for the most HOT/HUMID places

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    Selection Verte by Creed

by FAR.
    A great one to be sure, but it reaches a point of diminishing returns when the humidity and heat are strong enough to feel as if you're in a swamp from Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    In those climates I usually wear things like Chanel Eau de Cologne, Eau de Guerlain, Eau Sauvage, and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I sure as hell don't wear heavy orientals when it's 120f and 90% humidity.
    You forgot:

Gai Mattiolo Uomo
    Loewe para Hombre
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Signoricci
    Bowling Green

And someone, somewhere, must make a light Bay Rum that neither feels cheap nor kills with cloves.

Of course, many may simply want to say ' Oh, Yeah? ' to the heat and humidity and (sparingly) spray on

Grey Flannel, Tuscany/Etruscan, Azzaro PH, Cuir d'Oranger, or Macassar!

(Make that very sparingly)

Then there's Infusion (2003) by Bombay Sapphire
    Perhaps the best solution of all.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 21st June 2010 at 09:16 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Try: Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme by Bvlgari
    Infusion D'Homme by Prada
    L'eau D'issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Last edited by volley2; 22nd June 2010 at 01:34 AM.

Mugler Cologne works very well in hot humid weather.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Kevin.

It doesnt matter how much you wear - some scents just become "gross" in hot weather. When it's hot and humid, I just want to smell clean and fresh, with little to no musk.
    Me too. I know some people can and do wear heavy, sweet scents in the heat and humidity. I am not one of those people.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have to wear soapy green or citrus scents, though. I think a nice dry wood or leather (Declaration, Yatagan, Tam Dao, for instance) works in the heat. It's the vanilla and musk that bothers me.

Also, if you'll be in the air conditioned indoors all day anyway, you could probably get away with whatever you want.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 21st June 2010 at 03:49 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by kärleksparfym View Post
    I think it's one thing if one lives in a hot/humid region and becomes used to it, but different altogether if you're just visiting/traveling...
    And a whole nother flavor of "different" if you live there and never do get used to it.

I had a childhood belief that some mischievous entity had played a cruel metabolism-swap trick, and somewhere in Greenland, a little girl was shivering...

I'm still not entirely convinced that didn't happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    ...Your own mood is the ultimate barometer...
    With fragrances, I think this is really the bottom line. Any fragrance that will make you feel cooler, even for a little while, is the one to grab.

What other fragrance things are happening, on other people, in the incense burner, doesn't really matter.

So no matter which one of the planet's steam-cookers I've found myself in, I've always preferred vetiver(Mine is Hove Vetivert or just plain old khus oil if no Hove is available) for hand-to-hand oppressive heat combat, and while rightly or wrongly, I don't think of it as a "heavy" scent, nor "oriental" by any stretch, somehow L'Heure Bleue has always been what I reach for whenever I'm in an environment that blesses me with cooler temperatures.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Guerlain Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by cathodera View Post
    somehow L'Heure Bleue has always been what I reach for whenever I'm in an environment that blesses me with cooler temperatures.
    LHB is one of the handful of scents that (for me) that can leave a sweat-drenched undershirt smelling good. Like Knize Ten, it predates the widespread adoption of air conditioning, so maybe that shouldn't be surprising.

Dry woods, incense, or leather, and many of the green/aromatic fragrances tend to do well in hot weather. On the other hand, it can be a bit appalling how far amber can project, or how nasty patchouli can get, in the same circumstances.

OK - talking 30c+ and 90%+ humidity. I think you can look to the notes that are indigenous to the region sometimes for a clue.

Sandalwood & Clove work for me. Coffee and Vetiver seem to do okay, and certainly some Tea scents, but with all of these it depends on the composition, of course. Cinammon, Vanilla, Ambers and so on can be difficult if you are going to be out and about in the heat and humidity.

Traditional western style EDCs are perfect as a tonic to get you started but it helps to keep a bottle at the office because the trip to work or a stroll out for lunch is usually enough to burn them off.

The Yatagan / Declaration approach makes sense for me - both work well. But you never know - I have found on various occasions when I am going to be running around from cab to ferry to whatever that Eau des Iles, Coromandel, Noir Epices have performed really well. Geranium Pour Monsieur & L'Eau d'Hiver also good, Homage is terrific. One day in Singapore Gris Clair did wonders . . . another time LADDM. I was in Saigon recently and Brasil Dream for Men was great.

For some reason Vetiver seems to be a good one in these conditions - that would be my suggestion for the visitor or occasional traveller - perhaps with a simple AdP Colonia or similar coming along for the ride.

In the heat, my favorites are oriental fragrances; ones that come to mind are Bijan Men, KL Homme, and Salvadore Dali Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Based on previous posts, I think you will that BNers who actually live in those climates wear anything they want to. They do not limit themselves to light, fresh scents.
    Over the past year, I have been encouraged by one of our Nigerian Basenoters to wear my heavy, dense, "powerhouse" fragrances in our hottest, most humid weather......and am I ever glad that I took his lead! I have found that the powerhouse fragrances I once reserved for 'winter only' really bloom in the heat and humidity!

Question Re: Recommendations for the most HOT/HUMID places

How would Kouros fare in hot/humid conditions? The Kouros fans often claim that heat and sweat is needed to bring out the "REAL KOUROS EXPERIENCE" . Are they right?

Any of the colonia's from AdP and Prada Infusion D'Homme