Code of Conduct

Default Recommendations for the most HOT/HUMID places

Thinking of the sweltering heat of South East Asia, the humidity which makes you sweat the moment you step right out of home. Where a short walk to the convenience store just down the road would be an epic journey because the heat is just so bad during the hot season at mid day.

Anyone have fragrance recommendations for insanely hot and humid climates?

A fragrance that can be refreshing, cooling, or something which projects well or works well in these climates.

Default Re: Recommendations for the most HOT/HUMID places

Live Jazz and Original Vetiver are very good for hot climates making you feel refreshed and seem to project more the hotter it is.

I would suggest Guerlain's Eau de Colognes.... Eau du Cologne Imperial, Eau du Guerlain, Eau de Coq. They are all very light and extremely refreshing. Especially IMO in the kind of climate you're describing.

Angeliques sous la Pluie. It's sharp and fresh, so it doesn't smell like melted goo in the humid weather.

I also recommend trying:

Fresh/Modern: L'Eau d'Issey Bleue Eau Fraiche, Comme des Garcons 3, Comme des Garcons Citrico
    Citrus/Classic: Eau d'Orange Verte, Eau Sauvage, Neroli by Czech and Speake

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Angeliques sous la Pluie. It's sharp and fresh, so it doesn't smell like melted goo in the humid weather.

I also recommend trying:

Fresh/Modern: L'Eau d'Issey Bleue Eau Fraiche, Comme des Garcons 3, Comme des Garcons Citrico
    Citrus/Classic: Eau d'Orange Verte, Eau Sauvage, Neroli by Czech and Speake
    Yeah people have been telling me about L'Eau d'Issey, will check them out. I know the original L'Eau d'Issey is a nice summer floral.

I think the main thing about these hot and humid countries is that, the dirt, the stench and the thick carbon exhaust you smell from the cities can stick on your skin very easily.

Sur la Plage

Based on previous posts, I think you will that BNers who actually live in those climates wear anything they want to. They do not limit themselves to light, fresh scents.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th June 2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I would recommend Sous le Vent, Sel de Vetiver and Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Based on previous posts, I think you will that BNers who actually live in those climates wear anything they want to. They do not limit themselves to light, fresh scents.
    +1

Secret is in the application. If it'd a big oriental sillage monster... dab with a cotton bud. A single spray may well be too much.

Next thing is that a lot of what are regarded as cold weather fragrances take on whole new dimensions in the heat. It brings them to life, sometimes in ways strange and unexpected. Sometimes thats good, sometimes its a glow-in-the-dark type nightmare.

Exactly.

Basenotes Institution

I also agree.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yeah. Wear "winter" scents with pride !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

yeah wear what you like. i guess respect for others would be nice as well haha i used to wear gucci envy since it's what interested my nose when i first tried out fragrances. during the day and outdoors some would constantly fan away the fumes but at night and indoors it is a compliment getter. my favorite is acqua di parma colonia assoluta. philosykos is another lovely one i like. prada infusion d'homme if you want to smell clean all day and make as many trips to the convenience store as you like while staying fresh.

I find that when the humidity goes up my tolerance level for musk bases goes way down. Your own mood is the ultimate barometer, but I find tenacious fragrances in tropical settings to be taxing. I once worked in Bali and I remember the only thing I ever wanted to smell was a bar of soap in the morning. That said, have you ever tried Eau Dynamisante by Clarins? Citrus and herbs over a very light patchouli base. Instant refreshment.

Dependent

Wait... let me count... ok, +5 what petruccijc says.

It is interesting to know that in the Middle East, heavier attars seem to be the norm and accepted(?). And in SE Asia, smell of incense/smoke is so common everywhere, in places of worship/temples, in homes where incenses/joss sticks are offered on altars, etc. Thus, come to think of it, I guess we're already pretty used to it to begin with.
    Last edited by MFJ; 20th June 2010 at 04:23 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Sometimes I just find fresh scents a little jarring - it doesn't always dovetail nicely with the sweltering heat, at least not in the way many of us thought it would. I actually prefer smelling fresh scents in cooler climates and heavier orientals in warmer temperatures. So what Matt pointed out earlier makes perfect sense to me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post

It is interesting to know that in the Middle East, heavier attars seem to be the norm and accepted(?). And in SE Asia, smell of incense/smoke is so common everywhere, in places of worship/temples, in homes where incenses/joss sticks are offered on altars, etc. Thus, come to think of it, I guess we're already pretty used to it to begin with.
    Agreed, both counts. Same here in West Africa, except its more of wood-smoke and diesel fumes.

I guess what people wear, and when, is generally unique to their environments, extent of weather variations and traditions. The OP will blend well wearing whatever he wishes to wear, with the required moderation in application of course
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

versace Eau Friache, ADG, any really anything with vetiver/something cooling

Ice*men is actually good too now that i think of it

Selection Verte by Creed

by FAR.

Odin New York 02 Owari, good times.

Second thread I am recommending this fragrance - Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche

+1 Live Jazz (it works well ONLY in hot weather)
    Bvlgari BLV pour Homme
    Terre D'Hermes
    Uomo? Moschino
    Versace Eau Fraiche

and I'm surprised it hadn't been mentioned: Acqua Di Gio
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Caliber 12
    Vertical Limit Blue

I highly recommend Cartier Declaration. This scent just seems to really come alive come hot temperatures. Good longevity and keeps me comforted by being enveloped in such a wonderful aura.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I find that when the humidity goes up my tolerance level for musk bases goes way down. Your own mood is the ultimate barometer, but I find tenacious fragrances in tropical settings to be taxing. I once worked in Bali and I remember the only thing I ever wanted to smell was a bar of soap in the morning. That said, have you ever tried Eau Dynamisante by Clarins? Citrus and herbs over a very light patchouli base. Instant refreshment.

I'm in the same boat as Kevin.

It doesnt matter how much you wear - some scents just become "gross" in hot weather. When it's hot and humid, I just want to smell clean and fresh, with little to no musk.

I'm with those who like heavy scents in heat and humidity. It's like giving them a microphone!

Black Orchid smells best at 34C and 90% humidity - then it can really do it's monster floriental thing just right!

Definitely, I agree. No limits at all.

For me however, I would like something light and fresh, if it's too heavy it gets to my nose in these humid climates.

I noticed something very interesting, I sprayed on Rochas Man on my skin and after a few hours the scent seemingly faded away from my skin. I then blew some hot air from my breath on the area I sprayed the fragrance, to my surprise the fragrance came back! It just jumped out!

It doesnt matter how much you wear - some scents just become "gross" in hot weather. When it's hot and humid, I just want to smell clean and fresh, with little to no musk.
    I know people talk about Mugler Cologne, I think it gives them a very fresh and clean "Out of the shower" vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post

I think it comes down to what your personal preference is. I was in Singapore a few months back, I went to Takashimaya to try Thierry Mugler's A*Men, sprayed some on my skin and walked out of the mall.

The heat waves just blasted me. Furthermore, the scent just amplified itself to be much stronger!

I want to ask, so do these extremely hot and humid climates definitely affect what you wear outside?

I've lived in one of those incredibly hot & humid places in SEA (Southeast Asia), let me tell you, the bacteria that eat your sweat can create some serious funk notes. The ones with * were tested in SEA. The others were tested in exact SEA weather conditions.

*I've had great results with Original Vetiver (Creed).
    Not good results with anything that has the "green" tobacco note (i.e. Tabarome*, Romance Silver*). Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille does fine in heat & humidity.
    *Aqua di Gio performed very well.
    Silver Mountain Water* eventually got too sweet and a tad funky. It held its own for a couple hours I think.
    Avignon totally failed.
    Tom Ford's Oud Wood was surprisingly fine.
    Egoiste Platinum became muddled. In controlled amounts, it's OK, just not quite itself.
    Herrera for Men seems to lose it's top notes, prone to becoming muddled, and can quickly smell like slightly funky leather.
    Millesime Imperial (Creed) of course loses the watermelon note (the solution is applying some to clothing, the melon note stays) however it retains its composition pretty well.
    Windsor (Creed) completely fell apart in a misadventure-like way recently. I need to test it again to be certain.
    Happy (Clinique) works reasonably well.

Overall, the "wintry" or complicated fragrances, seem to lose their composure or top notes more quickly leaving whatever the basenotes are. The best advice I could give is to have clean skin before applying (to cut down on the funk producing bacteria). You'll definitely know why SEA locals will often bathe/shower frequently.

I live in New Orleans and I can highly recommend L'eau par Kenzo pour Homme and, as of today, Cool Water by Davidoff. Also Mugler Cologne and L' Artisan's The pour un ete.

I live in a very hot and humid country but most of my fragrances are gourmand. But I do confess that when it's really hot I need a fresh/clean fixation which I still haven't come across and still on the look-out

Anyone know if Mugler Cologne would work well in these places?

I think it's one thing if one lives in a hot/humid region and becomes used to it, but different altogether if you're just visiting/traveling, in which case it can be a hell of a shock to one's system. I lived in West Africa for 8 months, which is actually no hotter than an eastern USA summer, but it still took me 3-4 months before I was used to living in it and could just walk around comfortably and not be bothered by how hot and sticky I was.

I think the recommendations of Angelique sous la Pluie and Eau de Gentiane Blanche are good. Neither are too sweet.

If it were me, I'd probably just bring a large bottle of 4711.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    ...I want to ask, so do these extremely hot and humid climates definitely affect what you wear outside?
    The heat/humidity affects the frags themselves, amping up (mainly) the basenotes, but do not affect choice of frag worn, since heat/humidity is with us almost all year round.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

In those climates I usually wear things like Chanel Eau de Cologne, Eau de Guerlain, Eau Sauvage, and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I sure as hell don't wear heavy orientals when it's 120f and 90% humidity.

Cool Re: Recommendations for the most HOT/HUMID places

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    Selection Verte by Creed

by FAR.
    A great one to be sure, but it reaches a point of diminishing returns when the humidity and heat are strong enough to feel as if you're in a swamp from Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    In those climates I usually wear things like Chanel Eau de Cologne, Eau de Guerlain, Eau Sauvage, and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I sure as hell don't wear heavy orientals when it's 120f and 90% humidity.
    You forgot:

Gai Mattiolo Uomo
    Loewe para Hombre
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Signoricci
    Bowling Green

And someone, somewhere, must make a light Bay Rum that neither feels cheap nor kills with cloves.

Of course, many may simply want to say ' Oh, Yeah? ' to the heat and humidity and (sparingly) spray on

Grey Flannel, Tuscany/Etruscan, Azzaro PH, Cuir d'Oranger, or Macassar!

(Make that very sparingly)

Then there's Infusion (2003) by Bombay Sapphire
    Perhaps the best solution of all.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 21st June 2010 at 09:16 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Try: Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme by Bvlgari
    Infusion D'Homme by Prada
    L'eau D'issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Last edited by volley2; 22nd June 2010 at 01:34 AM.

Mugler Cologne works very well in hot humid weather.

Me too. I know some people can and do wear heavy, sweet scents in the heat and humidity. I am not one of those people.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have to wear soapy green or citrus scents, though. I think a nice dry wood or leather (Declaration, Yatagan, Tam Dao, for instance) works in the heat. It's the vanilla and musk that bothers me.

Also, if you'll be in the air conditioned indoors all day anyway, you could probably get away with whatever you want.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 21st June 2010 at 03:49 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by kärleksparfym View Post
    I think it's one thing if one lives in a hot/humid region and becomes used to it, but different altogether if you're just visiting/traveling...
    And a whole nother flavor of "different" if you live there and never do get used to it.

I had a childhood belief that some mischievous entity had played a cruel metabolism-swap trick, and somewhere in Greenland, a little girl was shivering...

I'm still not entirely convinced that didn't happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    ...Your own mood is the ultimate barometer...
    With fragrances, I think this is really the bottom line. Any fragrance that will make you feel cooler, even for a little while, is the one to grab.

What other fragrance things are happening, on other people, in the incense burner, doesn't really matter.

So no matter which one of the planet's steam-cookers I've found myself in, I've always preferred vetiver(Mine is Hove Vetivert or just plain old khus oil if no Hove is available) for hand-to-hand oppressive heat combat, and while rightly or wrongly, I don't think of it as a "heavy" scent, nor "oriental" by any stretch, somehow L'Heure Bleue has always been what I reach for whenever I'm in an environment that blesses me with cooler temperatures.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Guerlain Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by cathodera View Post
    somehow L'Heure Bleue has always been what I reach for whenever I'm in an environment that blesses me with cooler temperatures.
    LHB is one of the handful of scents that (for me) that can leave a sweat-drenched undershirt smelling good. Like Knize Ten, it predates the widespread adoption of air conditioning, so maybe that shouldn't be surprising.

Dry woods, incense, or leather, and many of the green/aromatic fragrances tend to do well in hot weather. On the other hand, it can be a bit appalling how far amber can project, or how nasty patchouli can get, in the same circumstances.

OK - talking 30c+ and 90%+ humidity. I think you can look to the notes that are indigenous to the region sometimes for a clue.

Sandalwood & Clove work for me. Coffee and Vetiver seem to do okay, and certainly some Tea scents, but with all of these it depends on the composition, of course. Cinammon, Vanilla, Ambers and so on can be difficult if you are going to be out and about in the heat and humidity.

Traditional western style EDCs are perfect as a tonic to get you started but it helps to keep a bottle at the office because the trip to work or a stroll out for lunch is usually enough to burn them off.

The Yatagan / Declaration approach makes sense for me - both work well. But you never know - I have found on various occasions when I am going to be running around from cab to ferry to whatever that Eau des Iles, Coromandel, Noir Epices have performed really well. Geranium Pour Monsieur & L'Eau d'Hiver also good, Homage is terrific. One day in Singapore Gris Clair did wonders . . . another time LADDM. I was in Saigon recently and Brasil Dream for Men was great.

For some reason Vetiver seems to be a good one in these conditions - that would be my suggestion for the visitor or occasional traveller - perhaps with a simple AdP Colonia or similar coming along for the ride.

In the heat, my favorites are oriental fragrances; ones that come to mind are Bijan Men, KL Homme, and Salvadore Dali Pour Homme.

Over the past year, I have been encouraged by one of our Nigerian Basenoters to wear my heavy, dense, "powerhouse" fragrances in our hottest, most humid weather......and am I ever glad that I took his lead! I have found that the powerhouse fragrances I once reserved for 'winter only' really bloom in the heat and humidity!

Question Re: Recommendations for the most HOT/HUMID places

How would Kouros fare in hot/humid conditions? The Kouros fans often claim that heat and sweat is needed to bring out the "REAL KOUROS EXPERIENCE" . Are they right?

Any of the colonia's from AdP and Prada Infusion D'Homme