Code of Conduct

Red face Getting a laxative affect from a fragrance (has this happened to you?)

Where a fragrance has actually given you the urge to have a defecation?

Most recently I was leaving the mall through the Nordstrom anchor store and happened to make a stop at the men's fragrance counter. Just walking by the counter being a male I was accosted by spraying ladies out in full force to push their Father's Day gift sets. One rep happened to be carrying YSL L'Homme and asked to spray my hand which I obliged since I had not visited this scent in awhile. Well the YSL lady set loose a Goliath spray that left my hand dripping. The smell just took my senses like I stuck my face in a vat of this stuff and then I felt my stomach rumble. I tried to ignore it and make my way to the door but nature was making a call that I had to answer.

In a panic frantic to find a restroom the smell just kept inducing me to let loose - I can't put into writing the attack the fragrance was having on the situation. I barley made it up the escalator keeping my stinking right hand far away from me but the fumes for the L'Homme were burned into my nasal membranes. Pushing on the men's room door in a full sweat I walked in to find the only two men's stalls taken. At this point I was fighting painfully from holding back dumping right in the center of the men's room. A staff member who was washing his hands at the sink looked as he caught the smell of reeking L'Homme coming from my hand. Both our refections were in the mirror at the sink - I looked pale drenched in sweat and in uneasy anal pain. The staff member just smiled and looked down right away pretending he was not in this situation. I bolted out not knowing what to do. I passed down the hall way feeling dizzy double in pain trying to keep my arm away from as has much as possible but nothing was helping. I finally saw a unisex handicap restroom and tried the knob it was open I entered and locked the door behind me. I quickly went to the paper towel dispenser and grab a long length wet it and quickly rapped it around the reeking hand. Dropping my jeans sat and made nature take its course.

That was my situation! My question is has fragrance ever had this "laxative affect" on you?
    Last edited by scentimus; 3rd October 2012 at 03:03 AM.

Default Re: Getting a laxative affect from a fragrance (has this happened to you?)

Just when you think you have heard it all...

But in all seriousness, i have never experienced anything like this.

I wonder if it was just a coincidence. Maybe you were having a reaction to something you ate that day?
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Default Re: Getting a laxative affect from a fragrance (has this happened to you?)

You shouldn't hit Taco Bell prior to the mall...

A beer, coffee or cigarette have the same affect.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

This is the weirdest thread ever

I vote oddly timed coincidence.

That being said, I will avoid YSL L'Homme now.

Funny story! I lol'd at this one

Odd. Generally the reaction from L'Homme is out the other end....
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

honestly, yes ive had this happen to me. ive got some weird stomach problems AND sinus problems, and sometimes when im having a bad sinus reaction to something itll mess with my stomach

*Rasied eyebrow* No
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Never. But I will keep it in mind.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Gotta get that one.

Blog Entries

I need TXT that is more ROTFLMAO than ROTFLMAO.

You have redefined "scrubber"!

(And in answer to the original question - no. As for this particular scent, I sprayed on L'Homme and got compliments before even leaving Sephora! In my experience, L'Homme is good shit.)

____You Found the Elusive "Brown" Note___

Seriously, though, I am not a medical doctor and the following does not constitute a credentialed opinion.

Your sense of smell probably became so overloaded, it sent your body into a classic "fight-or-flight" response. Loss of bowel control is one of many possible symptoms. If you got a shot of adrenaline, then that supports the theory. If you felt no sense of panic or anxiety, it's probably just a coincidence. The sweating & dizziness are also part of the package. You want to be very mindful of dizziness because that usually happens before a syncope (fainting) and you really really don't want to hit your head on anything. Immediately get horizontal, elevate your feet if people are around, if alone consider getting into a recovery position (so you don't aspirate vomitus). All of these symptoms are consistent with the functions of the autonomic nervous system. How it works is complicated.

Don't chase the brown note.
    Last edited by Sensual; 21st June 2010 at 03:28 AM.

It has never happened to me with perfume, but I have had bad reactions to the smell of canabis
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Well I sprayed some YSL L'Homme yesterday at Sephora and I had no *adverse* reactions.............
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st June 2010 at 04:38 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Wow. This is quite possibly the oddest thing ever... wow.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread - AGAIN
    I still need a Creed Original Vetiver 120ml cap...

A new meaning to trying a fragrance 'For shits and giggles'?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Basenotes Plus

From a fragrance, no - but watching England in the World Cup......another kettle of fish altogether.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 21st June 2010 at 08:21 AM.

Only when I drank the full bottle
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

At this point I was fighting painfully from holding back dumping right in the center of the men's room. A staff member who was washing his hands at the sink looked as he caught the smell of reeking L'Homme coming from my hand. Both our refections were in the mirror at the sink - I looked pale drenched in sweat and in uneasy anal pain.
    I laughed so hard, I was kinda captivated in your story, similar to the Crank movie, more hilarious of course.

I doubt there's such a thing as a laxative scent, scientifically speaking, because the scent molecules don't reach your blood cells nor your stomach. There are 2 plausible causes for your problem:
    (more probable) 1. you had an indigestion, something bad you ate, and your stomach-ache started coincidentally after spraying L'Homme.
    (less probable) 2. there's an anchor in your brain, a smell from your bathroom, or something that you associate with defecating, and that anchor was triggered when smelling L'Homme.

And for your own safety, keep this 'problem' of yours quiet :P
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

No.

You need to keep your hands clean. Especially at the mall.

All kinds of variables can cause physical reactions. Not the least of which are your thoughts.

I've felt like puking a couple of times when I had on a fragrance, but I always realized it was something other than the scent.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st June 2010 at 09:22 AM.

LOL........I have heard of people been sick from smelling something but not this , your yanking our chains. lol

Never.

Sur la Plage

A lot smell like sh*t, but none have made me sh*t.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    A lot smell like sh*t, but none have made me sh*t.
    Really? Not even Smalto - Fullchoke? Oh Sorry, I was thinking of the bottle and not the fragrance.

Where the paths of desire and defecation meet, we proudly present...

Sh*t

by Calvin Klein

Most awesome thread ever.

I'm laughing and crying at the same time.....I have never had this happen to me.....Never!!! The only urge I ever get from certain scents is to wash them off quickly.....Thanks for all of these hilarious posts!!!
    Gary

interesting you put this thread, yesterday i opened and smelled my YSL - Opium at home and same thing happend...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    I doubt there's such a thing as a laxative scent.
    Something of a relief for your good self. Imagine having to replace the t in your username with a c.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 21st June 2010 at 07:46 PM.

The price of some have almost made me soil myself, but not the smell.
    Last edited by jcrich; 22nd June 2010 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingmuffin View Post
    where the paths of desire and defecation meet, we proudly present...

sh*t

by calvin klein

lol

PawelL

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    lol
    hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!