Code of Conduct

Default June 20th 2010 Scentbar sniffing with Asha and Arwen_elf!

Arwen_elf and I got together for my post-birthday sniffing trip! We visited Scent Bar in the Beverly Hills area of Los Angeles. This was not an official "meet up", but we hope to have one soon--perhaps sometime in the next month. In the meantime, here are some highlights from our excursion today....

Ego Facto
    Poopoo Pidou--very innocuous "pink musk" which had a Narciso Rodriguez for Women vibe without harsh woody notes as in the base of the predecessor. Poopoo Pidoo is smooth and soft, probably very wearable, but not much about it stood out for me.
    Sacre Coeur--extremely banal but probably wearable aromatic fougere. Think rosemary and lavender.
    Piege a Filles--somewhat edible quality, like brandied raisins, with soft florals and some light vanilla. I thought this one was the most interesting of the bunch, but I do love liquor accords!
    Jamais le Dimanche--an aquatic. With clean white musk. Enough said.
    Prends Garde a Toi
    --surprisingly attractive lily of the valley scent, somewhat fresh and very modern--very pretty and light for a straight up floral.

Parfums de Nicolai
    Violette in Love--Asha's in love. And so is Arwen_elf. We bought a bottle to split as this was one that instantly grabbed us! It starts green with violet leaf, but also has some lovely violet flower that seems real--very "alive" and dewey, not candied like it can be in some fragrances. The drydown is soft floral with light vanilla and musk. Most people know I love green, and this is a green floral fragrance that truly can win hearts.
    L’eau Mixte--well, I was not as impressed with this new release, but I can't deny it is a solid and extremely competent citrus Eau de Cologne with the emphasis on grapefruit and some light aromatic herbs. Can be great for anybody who wants something different in a traditional-type EDC.

Atelier
    Orange Sanguine--ORANGE. LOTS of orange. It smells like the best orange juice on the planet, and if I wore it, I would want to lick my arm. The orange note is surprisingly long lasting, and stays clean, unlike some orange essences that can get a sulfuric "off" quality. As an EDC it is very short lived, but that is expected. The price is reasonable, just a little more than a Chanel Exclusifs and the same size bottle. Very splittable and also great for dousing oneself in warm months. Also would be great for layering.
    Grand Neroli--very nice high quality neroli-based citrus scent, very fresh and clean. The neroli in this composition does not get as cloyingly soapy as some do (C&S, for example). Great for layering, and as with others in this line seems well suited to lavish application during warm days.
    Oolang Infini--of the woody offerings, I thought this one was preferable. It is not strongly tea like, but it is woody, tobacco-y and leathery enough to evoke the idea. Has a woody "buzz" at the drydown, and overall gives the impression of Bulgari Black while being a completely different composition.
    Bois Blonds--Less interesting as it was like Oolang Infini with less complexity.

Heely
    Oranges and Lemons Say the Bells of Saint Clemens--as if Atelier Blood Orange and Grand Neroli were layered (which is what I was craving after I smelled each from the Atelier line). This one definitely deserves more attention as it seems to be an extremely well balanced citrus cologne with complexity that some EDC's often lack. Lovely.

L'Artisan
    Havana Vanille--I often sample this one while in the shops, but never have considered buying it. In essence, this is a light amber fragrance, heavy on the vanilla and with a bready/yeasty quality. It certainly supersedes L'Artisan's older Vanilia in complexity and sophistication.
    Nuit de Tubereuse--I'm not a huge fan of tuberose, but in NdT, the flower is represented as green and woody and utterly adorable. The tuberose is mild and somewhat clean, and later seems fruity and fresh. It may not satisfy those who crave tuberose monsters, but its quiet and sheer qualities are extremely fetching regardless.

Etat Libre d'Orange
    Tilda Swinton - Like This--an extremely rooty, gingery, somewhat sweaty "non-perfume" that dries to a pleasant woody base. Those who like edgy art-house scents will probably really dig this one. I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but in some ways, it reminds me of a classic chypre with all the ingredients substituted. Strange but also compelling.

Comme des Garcons x Undercover
    Holygrace--charming fragrance with a floral water impression, a blended bouquet where not any one flower stands out. Great "lady's" cologne water, and probably great for young girls too. Seems classic without being fussy--nice.
    Holygrapie--another charmer, this one with an emphasis on what seems to be violet (could be a ghost accord as violet is not in the notes). The violet is somewhat more woody than I would expect from a classic violet water composition, however, it does contribute to a modern interpretation. Also very nice.

And my birthday present to myself was...Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris, a leather and iris lover's dream!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: June 20th 2010 Scentbar sniffing with Asha and Arwen_elf!

Belated birthday wishes Asha ! You and Arwen had a fantastic time- thanks for sharing your perfume adventures with us.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Happy, though belated, Birthday Asha. Just wanted to express my appreciation for this thread. Excellent reporting very much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Yes - Happy Birthday! Thanks for all that great reporting. La Nuit de Tubereuse sounds great! Really looking forward to sniffing that one now (although I am still LOL at the French spelling, which looks like "tube re-use" in English! )

Thanks, Asha. That was a great summary of the fragrances we smelled.
    As reported in the SOTD thread, I also smelled some perfumes that were new to me, like Cuir Ottoman. I am working through my fear of leathery scents.

I loved the Violet, and the Tuberose one was a great surprise. Very different from the huge tuberose fragrances that we are used to.

Asha was also very taken with Mythique by Parfums del Rae. I was surprised to like Dzing!, although my first comment was that it felt like being at the zoo. Amaranthine was also nice on me. I was not that impressed when I first smelled it on our last trip to Scent Bar. The place was very busy and we enjoyed talking to other patrons.
    Evenstar

Thank you for the report, SoCal ladies! That Violette sounds lovely!

Basenotes Plus

Sounds like a fantastic sniffing day! Thanks for all the details on the fumes.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    And my birthday present to myself was...Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris, a leather and iris lover's dream!
    Sounds like you had a good time. A belated Happy Birthday from me, and a compliment on your excellent taste!

Sounds like a great time!

Sur la Plage

Thanks for sharing. I'm really looking forward to trying the Tilda Swinton - Like This for myself.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for the interest and well wishes everybody. It was a great day--mild, sunny weather, no traffic snags, great 'fumes and as always, sharing the hobby with others is the best part

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Sounds like you had a good time. A belated Happy Birthday from me, and a compliment on your excellent taste!
    Del Rae Mythique was also very good and I resampled it yesterday. I think overall the PG has a slight edge and is more unisex because Mythique dries down to a soapy and somewhat sweet white musk. With Cuir d'Iris, the leather is much more long lasting, although admittedly the iris is a bit subdued compared to Mythique.

Sounds like a grand time!

Happy Birthday Asha!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

You may not like it, Asha, but I can't help but put you on one of these. The translation of your perceptions is incalculably valuable.

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Nice reviews Asha! I love reading yours. Thank you so much for sharing them. PdN's Violette in Love and the Commes des Garcons fragrances sound particularly nice. I'm sorry I missed your birthday. Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like you had a nice sniffa day with Arwen_Elf.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 21st June 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Aw gosh...I'm really blushing! I'm happy everybody has been enjoying the read

Lillybelle, the CdG's are really up your alley, and not necessarily to appease the fragrance-phobe in your midst. They are lovely, feminine fragrances and would be great for refreshment or warm weather. Also a good alternative to typical warm weather citrus EDC's.
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd June 2010 at 04:30 PM.

Great report - and so good to see more of us getting together to sniff! I really love that More like this please (And photos, I wants to see photos!).

I have to admit that I laughed out loud at this bit of your report: "Holygrapie" because I read it as "Holycrapie".