Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Anomalous Chanel Preference.

I know that Chanel No. 5 is Chanel's most appreciated fragrance but, I just cannot warm up to No. 5. Strangely, however, I find No. 22 very appealing and a better use of aldehydes. I understand that No. 22 came out later just slightly rearranged and for me that rearrangement does the trick. Chanel No. 22 sings to me where No. 5 yells.

Notes from Fragrance Directory:
    Top notes
    Aldehydes.

Middle Notes
    Jasmine, Tuberose, Ylang-Ylang, Rose.

Base Notes
    Vetiver, Vanilla, Incense
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 21st June 2010 at 05:49 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Anomalous Chanel Preference.

Ok ,I got out my little vial of No.22 - since I say I'm not fond of it - I thought I must be open minded and re try it D !
    I think I find No.22 more powdery ? Yes it's beautiful but I still prefer No.5............ with No.5- my fave versions are the EDT and extrait.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Don't quite see that its an anomaly (and anyway I LUVLUVLUV the old Chanel #5 in parfum) but I adore the old #19. Which is more like saying I love two old friends for different reasons.

Sort of.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by TaoLady View Post
    Don't quite see that its an anomaly (and anyway I LUVLUVLUV the old Chanel #5 in parfum) but I adore the old #19. Which is more like saying I love two old friends for different reasons.

Sort of.
    Well put. There's nothing strange about not loving everything a house produces, or not liking their top sellers.

Not anomalous... I'd prefer No. 22 much more than No. 5 I also found it had quite good longevity on me compared to some other Exclusifs.

I cannot wear no5 at all. This is going back to the very early 80s and the parfum too. A strange plastic bag thing goes on when it hits my skin. So for years I ignored aldehydes totally thinking the same thing would happen. Discovered it was not aldehydes but whatever no5 has causing the problem. Now I also can wear and love no22 without problem, not tried the newer exclusifs version. Infact I have never had the chance to try the new exclusifs so cannot comment on them. But Chance, Coco Mad etc I even found of no interest to me.
    Last edited by donna255; 21st June 2010 at 11:33 AM.
    DONNA

I often feel that way about some very similar fragrances - even slightly different fragrances. I wear neither and have only tried No. 22 once, but I far prefer No. 5 EdT.

Sur la Plage

I Love Chanel No 5 (Parfum, EDP, EDC and Premiere). I haven't tried No 22 - but now I neeed to!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I find No5 to be a strange scent altogether. I've worn the EDP, EDT, elixer, and the body lotion. Never tried the parfum. I admire it, respect it, and can occasionally wear it with success. However, most of the time it leaves me cold.

I love No5 Eau Premiere. This to me has all of the elements of No5 that are breathtakingly beautiful...the sandalwood, the vanilla, those Grasse roses...it's warm and buttery and then just slightly cool at times. It is like wearing a cloud.

No22 is another scent that I admire & respect, but wear only once in a while. I have only tried (have a vial of) the exclusif's version. I find that it wears me usually.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

I have and wear No 5 and No 22 in edt and parfum, but I have to say that I prefer No 5; it's just warmer and easier to wear, compared to 22 which can feel cold and severe sometimes.

Eau Première is like an accessible fusion of the best bits from No 5 and No 22. Why I haven't already gotten a bottle of this is a mystery!

I love No. 5 but we've been on and off over the years. I've recently discvoered that I ADORE No. 22!

I feel a kind of shared vibe between No.22 EDT and No.5 Eau Premiere, although I must say they are not replacements for each other. No.22 seems like a superior precursor to the current wave of sweet, girly fragrances and No.5 seems more grown up and complex overall.

I too prefer No.22 to No.5, but I can't really see why this might be an "anomalous" preference.