Code of Conduct

Thread: Eau de Shalimar

Default Eau de Shalimar

Does anyone know where to buy Eau De Shalimar? It's on the Guerlain website but none of the major retailers seem to carry it. I'm trying to avoid buying it online because I would like to test it first. Has it been discontinued?

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Eau de Shalimar

I have seen it recently in the US at TJ Maxx.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think it is discontinued. The eau de Shalimar is a bit more lemmony and lighter that the EDT. I have the Au Leguere which, I think is pretty close to the Eau de Shalimar that replaced it. It is available online. Lighter and more lemmony makes it great for summer. The rest of the time I use the EDP or extrait. I hope this is of some help.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 21st June 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, I really like Eau de Shalimar. Great for hot weather! Nice take on the original with citrus and freshness that are very appealing to me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I still have not smelled this. As a big fan of Shalimar (EdC, EdP, parfum) I really have to soon.

I had eau de shalimar and shalimar eau legere and belive me, every year they make that light shalimar version is 99% the same fragrance as last year only a bit changed bottle.
    I absolutely love Shalimar but this was too lemony and too light even in the summer.
    chown -R us ./base

Thanks for the comments. I love Shalimar - but whenever I put it on something strange happens to it, so I'm hoping that the lighter version will like me a bit more. I'm dying to try it.

I think you can still buy this in boutiques. I also saw this at Marshall's, but don't know if it is discontinued.

I agree that it is a new take on the Eau Legere, which I find the best of the Shalimar flankers.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone has posted to this list in over a year but I put Eau de Shalimar on today and my opinion remains the same. I have worn Shalimar since 1976. It has been reformulated at least twice. Eau de Shalimar is a lighter version of the 1970's Shalimar IMHO. More like the Eau de Toilette from that era. Most of you are much younger then I am so it is doubtful you will remember -- and that is not a bad thing. But I thought you should know this little tidbit from a devoted Shalimar lover. I abhor what is being sold in department stores for Shalimar today and have a ton of the the older versions in my perfume fridge. The only complaint I have about Eau de Shalimar is that it doesn't seem to last too long on me. I also love the new Shalimar Ode la Vanille. It is a nice take on the original. What can I say. Everything old is new again.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile
    Chloe Roses de Chloe

And how does this compare to the Parfum Initial? It's also a lighter, simpler relative. I am wearing a bit today, courtesy of Sephora, and quite like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To me, it doesn't bear any resemblance to the Shalimar I love. I just wish they had named it something else and let it stand on its own.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile
    Chloe Roses de Chloe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    Eau de Shalimar is a lighter version of the 1970's Shalimar IMHO. More like the Eau de Toilette from that era. Most of you are much younger then I am so it is doubtful you will remember -- and that is not a bad thing. But I thought you should know this little tidbit from a devoted Shalimar lover.
    That is interesting!I didn't begin to wear Shalimar until the 80's,in PDT form,which I loved.I've always been stricken by how very much like Shalimar the Eau is,while still being a little different;certainly a fine fragrance in its own right.Nice to have some family lineage to link it to!Now,I feel the need to track down a bit of 70's EDT!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Post Thanks / Like

I found a 50 ml bottle for $29.95 at Marshall's. Smells great but too perfumey for a guy to pull off.

I gave a bottle of the EDC to my stepmother, and I going to see if she will trade me. The EDC is much more of a masculine; very similar to Jicky.