Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default The Rise of Unisex Fragrances

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Re: The Rise of Unisex Fragrances

Thanks for sharing the article. They really should do away with the 'Pour Homme' and 'Pour Femme' labels. But I do know of some guys who need to see these labels to feel comfortable about buying a fragrance for themselves. And similarly, having a separate Men's fragrance section in dept stores is more to help the men overcome some cultural beliefs that perfumes are for the most part, a 'woman's business'. A BN'er on the other hand picks any that appeals to him or her... That makes us somewhat ahead of the curve?

Another thanks for sharing this article here on Basenotes. I always thought, and I am still convinced about the fact that, the male/female/unisex threshold between frags is a comparatively recent and, if the trends as shown by this article will continue, short-lived tendency, if compared to the age-old traditions of many centuries and even millenniums of the frag industry.

Blog Entries

Great article, Joe - thanks!

I'm going to have to check out Wonderwood, too. Sounds quite awesome - a MUST for my little lumberyard.

Interesting article .
    Also I had never thought of layering #5,#22,and MJ Gardinia.I would think that would be a bit much on the aldehydes.

I wondered why the Dolce & Gabbana number scents were so popular in the US. Now I know.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Thank you, petruccijc! This is interesting, indeed. I firmly believe a man or woman should smell like he/she would like to smell.

I think the trend toward unisex is refreshing. After all, in the early 19th century, perfume was perfume and there were no strictures to smelling nice based on sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Thanks for sharing the article. They really should do away with the 'Pour Homme' and 'Pour Femme' labels. But I do know of some guys who need to see these labels to feel comfortable about buying a fragrance for themselves. And similarly, having a separate Men's fragrance section in dept stores is more to help the men overcome some cultural beliefs that perfumes are for the most part, a 'woman's business'. A BN'er on the other hand picks any that appeals to him or her... That makes us somewhat ahead of the curve?
    Give me a man so confident in his masculinity that he wears his eau de jasmin with impunity!
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th July 2010 at 07:25 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Even though there are many unisex colognes that i respect and even have in my wardrobe i think it is necessary to have masculine and feminine definitions. Certain smells to me are more masculine and feminine to me, given you can wear what you want there is no law saying that you cannot, but personally as a man i do not want a woman smelling like bois du portugal for example that i think is a MAN's scent, same as most women probably do not want their man smelling like Chanel number 5 for example. Given i have more conservative beliefs on this area. With that being said I wear Virgin Island Water which i love and is VERY unisex. So take it for what it's worth.

Unisex fragrances are a large part of the industry and there are good ones, but I agree with David: sometimes there just has to be a line between masculine and feminine, and in fragrances, it's needed.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Great article.

While I have perceptions that a fragrance tends toward masculine or feminine, it is really a presumption in most all cases. After all, I never really smelled that man's fragrance on a woman, or vice versa. If I did, I might change my opinion altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Great article.

While I have perceptions that a fragrance tends toward masculine or feminine, it is really a presumption in most all cases. After all, I never really smelled that man's fragrance on a woman, or vice versa. If I did, I might change my opinion altogether.
    Scentsitivity, this was discussed some months ago and went on for pages in the forums. It got to the point where the mods were keeping an eye on the threads.

I agree that gender in scent is presumption. I also think culture and time period play a role, and today, in marketing. The gender designations of fragrance in the Western world is really an invention of the end of the 19th century. Before that time, fragrance was fragrance. Both men and women wore musks, spices, and florals. (I add that this was men and women wealthy enough to afford the luxury of perfume.)

One BNer said he'd like to smell Odori Tabacco on a woman during a "romp."
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th July 2010 at 02:46 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

i think "Por Homme" has its purposes, and yes some fragrances are blatantly male and female...but i really think its cause of the bottles, location in the store, and ultimately the fact guys are so paranoid about their sexuality. God forbid you sample a female fragrance. I'm guilty of it, but its more the fact i actually like the "manlier" smells, for example ive tried Angel and A*Men and i like A*Men better because of the masculinity to it. I think it adds character and "intensity", so to speak

I think everyone can wear what they want. Personally I don't own a "mens" scent yet, unisex though. I think there are men scents I never would wear, Kouros is such a scent. But there are also women's scents I'll never wear because they don't work for me. It's fascinating for me to wear my Hasu-no-Hana from Grossmith and think of that proparbly both men and women wore this fragrance.
    Last edited by Novis2007; 14th July 2010 at 07:40 AM.

I think that the perceptions of masculine and feminine in fragrances are social constructs that can be complied with or ignored as one pleases - personally, I don't hesitate to wear masculines, and I sometimes make a conscious choice to wear something that my nose perceives as comparatively masculine to make a statement of some sort (like upstaging an outfit that I feel is slightly too stereotypically feminine, for example). Likewise, I really enjoy smelling overtly feminine fragrances on men because of the way it mixes messages.

I really do think it's important to be aware that they are constructs, though.