Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just rec'd my Creed Vetiver 1948 (Kind of bummin)

I just got my bottle of Vetiver 1948 from Beautyencounter.com.
    There is very little in the way of the citrus and bergamot top notes. It goes immediately to the mineralic drydown.
    Theres nothing wrong with the bottle. It is just the normal variation in batches from Creed I would guess.
    Do I have any recourse?
    It's not Beautyencounter.com fault either, it's just very different from all the other times I have worn this fragrance.
    Last edited by neal; 21st June 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Default Re: Just rec'd my Creed Vetiver 1948 (Kind of bummin)

top notes are the first thing to disappear as a Creed ages. since you got it from BeautyEncounter, it is indeed probably several years old and has begun to breakdown already.

where did you get the other Vetiver before this (of which you liked)?

Post Thanks / Like

Neiman Marcus.

The Lot # is CJ21X05.
    Does this mean it was made in 2005?
    Neal
    Last edited by neal; 21st June 2010 at 07:25 PM.

In theory, maybe. If it's not up to the same quality level of past purchases you could argue that the product doesn't meet the implied warranty of merchantability (i.e., when you buy something the seller is implying to you that it's fit for its purpose, in this case smelling like Vetiver 1948) and that the beautyencouter.com must refund your money despite their return policy of "unused, unopened, original packaging" because the product is defective. Of course, unless you take them to court they don't have to listen but it can sound persuasive. If you've gotten the shipment in the past 48 hours you can call them to report it as damaged (the fragrance could have been improperly stored etc.). If you think it's just the regular variation in Creeds then you can't use this argument in good faith. (<== this is not legal advice nor am I a lawyer)

But call them and persistently, politely explain your position and you can usually prevail: no one likes arguing with customers' legitimate complaints.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought another bottle from The Creed Boutique and asked for an RMA from Beautyencounter.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I just bought another bottle from The Creed Boutique and asked for an RMA from Beautyencounter.com
    Good idea. I bought my Vetiver flacon from the Creed Boutique a few months ago and it's as fresh as can be. The discounters may be OK for the more popular Creeds, as they probably move much faster than the less popular ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I assumed that as well. I assumed that Vetiver was one that would have a high turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I assumed that as well. I assumed that Vetiver was one that would have a high turnover.
    no... i think it is way down on their best-selling list. Original Vetiver is another story though.

either way, good decision getting a fresh bottle from the Boutique. It is essential with Creed, especially their green scents, that it be as fresh/recent as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    top notes are the first thing to disappear as a Creed ages. since you got it from BeautyEncounter, it is indeed probably several years old and has begun to breakdown already.

where did you get the other Vetiver before this (of which you liked)?
    Why is that? I always purchase stuff through BE, in fact I purchased my bottle of Original Vetiver from them and it was as fresh and good as if bought from Neiman Marcus.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Why is that? I always purchase stuff through BE, in fact I purchased my bottle of Original Vetiver from them and it was as fresh and good as if bought from Neiman Marcus.
    1 - Original Vetiver came out in like 2005. So at worst you're getting bottles that are only a couple years old. Vetiver '48 has been around forever and sells slow... lord knows how long it's been sitting there. In other words, if you see the Creed Aventus that's coming out next month on BeautyEncounter anytime soon, go ahead and get it.

2 - Original Vetiver FAR outsells Vetiver '48. Therefore the '48 sits in their warehouse longer before being replenished with a new shipment. They buy HUGE quantities in order to give the discount they do. that's not a problem for OV and other big-sellers, but it is for the lesser known and slower selling Creeds. The turnover for OV is much higher and therefore newer bottles are brought in more often.

i like beautyencounter for a lot of things... but it's too much of a risk to buy Creed from them (as Neal has just found out). Not saying it's fake, but there's a good chance you are getting an old bottle.

recently I have bought two bottle of GIT (one was a gift for someone else, one for me). The bottle I got from the Creed Boutique had an 09 stamp on it and smells AMAZING. the bottle I gave away had an 01 stamp on it, and the top notes are noticeably missing. Goes straight to the heavier middle notes and lacks that great feeling of refreshment that good GIT can provide.
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 22nd June 2010 at 02:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Muffin. 1948 Vetiver is probably a very slow seller. I love it. But that's me. Whenever they developed it, it is to me kind of a Mad Men scent. Not a lot of guys looking for that these days.

Oddly though, I have a bottle I've had about 7 years or so and it's seems to have gotten stronger which I find is usually not the case with Creeds. But there's not a lot citrus up top either.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 22nd June 2010 at 04:52 AM.