Code of Conduct

Thread: suggestions

Default suggestions

Hi,

I would like some cologne suggestions. If it's tough to make suggestions based on my criteria, I apologize, but I appreciate your help.

I'm in my early 20's. I would like to get a bottle of cologne because I like smelling good, and I want the ladies to notice too.

I prefer that it have good longetivity, but sillage is not a huge issue (though it doesn't hurt, right?)

I'd like a scent that is masculine and possibly musky (so something with a little power). Not really looking for a "fresh" or "light" frag. It would be for nights out, to help with the girls haha. But at the same time, I don't want it to be TOO strong. I want something masculine, but with a pleasant edge.

I have Ferrari Passion right now and it's great. Though it is not too light, it has a fresh, pleasant scent, but is also powerful enough (in my opinion) to please the ladies. But maybe i can find something a little more masculine and musky (though i don't want it be to be TOO musky).

Some of the ones I was thinking of (maybe this will kind of help clarify what i'm generally looking for...hopefully my description above and the following match, haha) are:

I think Boss Bottled smells really good (a friend was wearing it once). I also think John Varvatos is pretty good, but have only smelt it out of the bottle.

any suggestions on what I should check out?

Default Re: suggestions

No replies... so, when reading your introduction, Musc Ravageur came to mind. It's Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. I think you may have a store in Toronto (if your user name means that) and you should sniff it there. It's a strong statement, maybe "too musky" for you, but the girls in our Malle store rave about it. It sure is a sexy scent to me.

By "musky" do you mean literally musky, or just on the heavier side? I ask because many salespeople tend to say anything not a light aquatic is "musky," when scent could in fact be woody, gourmand, vanillic, ambery, etc.

Assuming you're using the "not light" quasi-definition of musky, you have many choices: Escada Magnetism, Givenchy Play Intense, Guerlain L'Instant, Dior Homme or Boucheron Jaipur Homme might be good starting places. These range from fruit/amber to chocolate/woods to coffee/woods to iris/leather to spicy tonka/vanilla (in that order). All rather heavy and all very pleasing.

If you mean literally MUSKy, you might look into Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Him, Musc Ravageur, or Burberry Touch...all fairly accessible for the category.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 24th June 2010 at 04:41 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Not sure if you'll like any of these but I do so here goes
    Victor & Rolf Antidote
    Burberry Brit for Men
    Hermes Rocabar

hope this helps

Blog Entries

try Fierce from Abercrombie. this stuff is the lady-slayer, theres something about it that makes girls close their eyes in enjoyment from smelling this. i've had girls (they were friends, its not good enough to make random strangers do this haha) literally bury their face in my shirt to try and smell more of it
    ...and ive had dogs hump my legs while wearing this, true story. it was a WEIRD DAY needless to say lol

i swear its the musk, its gotta be some pheromone thing that causes such a "OH MY GOD THAT SMELLS AMAZING" response cause theres just something about Fierce...

about Varvatos, i own it and love it, but i find it very formal. defintely check it out some more though!
    Last edited by Neurosis; 23rd June 2010 at 08:16 PM.

If you consider yourself the "outdoorsy" type, look for an bottle of Yatagan (Caron) - the aromatic wormwood, pine, and oak notes add a little edge to the scent without getting too strange or too loud. They may have toned the musk down in recent years, because a sample I got from TPC was a bit on the wicked side.

Regardless of the recommendations, don't forget to try a sample before buying, if you can. What may smell great on a friend might not smell so great on you after an hour or two.

+1 Burberry Touch for Men
    definitely musky and has that little naughty vibe going on (if this is what you were looking for)

thanks for the suggestions!

By musky... i meant actually "musky", but anything a bit on the heavy side would do, really.

Do you guys think I'd smell just like the next guy if I went with something like John Varvatos, Boss Bottled, or A-men?? I like those and don't mind mainstream frags, but don't want to get anything that's TOO popular (for example Aqua Di Gio :P)

I think I'm going to check out Dior Homme, Le male, and Abercrombie Fierce based on your suggestions. I'm a little too lazy to look for the ones I haven't heard of haha...would i be able to find the other ones in a department store or somewhere similar??

Quote Originally Posted by torontobluered View Post
    Do you guys think I'd smell just like the next guy if I went with something like John Varvatos, Boss Bottled, or A-men??
    No. Most guys don't wear cologne at all, and even though these scents are common by BN standards, you won't smell them in public often, or at all.

Re: finding scents in department stores:

Looking over the scents mentioned here, Victor & Rolf Antidote, Burberry Brit for Men, Hermes Rocabar, Burberry Touch, Escada Magnetism, Givenchy Play Intense, Guerlain L'Instant, Dior Homme and Boucheron Jaipur Homme should all be available in various department stores.

For Abercrombie you will obviously have to go to an Abercrombie store.

Yatagan will be harder to find, and to be honest it probably wouldn't suit your needs.

Musc Ravaguer is exceedly expensive and may be hard to find.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

For girl around your age, I don't think some of these suggestions might work, ie Yatagan. Now Givenchy Play Intense to me is a softer A-men but it's still very much a gourmand as is A-men and possibly Lolita Lempika. If you are looking for something with Musk, go no further that the Kouros family. I would recommend go to an Ulta or Saphora and try Kouros Body to start. If this is not Musky enough, maybe move on to a Kourus Sport or Tattoo. I would only try regular Kouros at your own risk. I recently found out that you only need one or two sprays of this any more and it's just bile.
    One of the suggestion that may actually may work is Rocabar. Also Dior Homme as you mentioned, It's fantastic. Le male and Burberry brit have that powdery smell to them. If this is something you are looking for, I would also suggest M7.

So for what it's worth my suggestion would be: Kouros family(Body Kourus), Dior Homme, Roccabar, B-men, Burberry London, Armani Code Black, Ralph Lauren Purple Label (leather and tobbaco undertones), M7,Narciso Rodriguez (I have not tried Musc but I like regular Narciso Rodriguez for him), and Musc Ravegeur (this one is going to be hard to find and very pricey).

Don't get me wrong all these have been great suggestions. They are all great frags. I have not tried a few but I would take these guys word. They know what they are talking about. Just remember, Just because you smell good the women are not going to fall at your feet. It's just the ice breaker. From there, it's all on how you talk to them and how you treat them.
    The fastest way to a guys heart is through his stomach. The fastest way to a woman's heart is through her ears.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torontobluered View Post
    thanks for the suggestions!

A) Do you guys think I'd smell just like the next guy if I went with something like John Varvatos, Boss Bottled, or A-men?? I like those and don't mind mainstream frags, but don't want to get anything that's TOO popular (for example Aqua Di Gio :P)

B) I think I'm going to check out Dior Homme, Le male, and Abercrombie Fierce based on your suggestions.?
    A) im the only guy i know whos ever actually walked into a Macys on his own free will to check out fragrances...not to mention A*Men can kill an inexperienced nose, no ones gunna pick that, yet alone wait for the yummy drydown. Varvatos is more or less the same catagory, its basically "niche" by mainstream standards. NO ONE, i mean it, NO ONE had even heard of Varvatos till i started wearing it. chances are, youre gunna smell like THE guy, not every other guy

B) cant say much about Dior Homme but Le Male is tied for my favorite with A*Men, and Fierce is...well im sure you read my post lol. the one thing about Fierce is its more popular than the others, but once again this is by basenote standards, not real life ones (chances are one other guy MIGHT be wearing it, if any cologne at all)

Thanks for the replies! You guys are all very helpful!

You guys are definitely right, the general public will not be nearly as familiar with frags as BN.

Honestly, even though I will go out and try a bunch of the ones that were mentioned in this thread, if I don't find anything amazing that I've never smelled before, there's a good chance I'll go with Boss Bottled, John Varvatos, or A-men, since I already like this frags a lot. And realizing that I don't have to worry about smelling "common", I might just go ahead and get one of them.

By the way, how would you classify these three??? I don't really know what gourmand or musky mean haha...none of these would be too formal, would they?

And as far as sampling goes, is a spray on the wrist in the store good enough? and then let it dry down? or do i have to ask for one of those little sample bottles and try it out on my neck several times or something like that? Sorry, still a little inexperienced haha.

I usually spray my wrist (twice) in order to let it dry down and see how I like it... or spray both wrists... and/or ask for a sample... or go their without a frag on and spray yourself there

TOBlueRed, I can give you some ideas about places to smell in the city plus I've got a stack of samples and bottles if it's something not available locally. PM me if you want.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Hmm well i believe if you like some darker musky scents, I would consider,
    UngaroIII. On my skin it smells a bit sweet, with a very nice rose lingering in the background. It has a slight musky to it that also smells slightly metalic. In the background there is a tiny bit of wood. Unfortunately, i discovered after about 5 hours on my skin it smells just like fierce. I actually looked it up they have similar notes. HOWEVER, this does not stop the fact that girls go wild over it ^ ^ its really different from anything u've smelled before.

hmmmm...did a little looking around today...

is A-men the one in the black bottle? the theirry mugler frag i was looking for had the same bottle design as the other ones but the bottle was red.

The black one smells very strong (a little too much for my taste) and a lot like coffee (or at least that was the top note??)

Which brings me to ask, what's a gourmand? is A-men a gourmand? what kind of frags is Boss Bottled classified as?

I also got a sample of Boss Bottled, which is nice, but I'm not sure if it's very long lasting (i only sprayed a little on my wrist).

I'm a little more lost than before haha...or maybe I'm just very picky.

Does anybody know what kind of frag Ferrari Passion is? Honestly it works well for me, it has a very pleasant scent and is long lasting. If it was just a little more manly (it seems I don't know which kinds of frags are "manly"...not familiar with gourmand or woody etc.) it'd be perfect.

Thanks for the replies once again, please be patient with my present lack of knowledge haha