Code of Conduct

Default Terre D'hermes Pure Perfume Question

Hi guys,

Is Pure Perfume an actual PARFUM or is a Eau De Parfum (EDP)?

Because I read the FAQ here:

http://www.basenotes.net/articles/fragrancefaq.html

and it stated:

The Eau de Parfum is fairly rare in Men's fragrance, but not as rare as the pure perfume.

But the Hermes site lists it as

EDP

http://australia.hermes.com/webapp/w...e=MEN&nbItem=0

I thought the Pure Perfume meant it was a parfum?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Terre D'hermes Pure Perfume Question

Obviously the Aussie website has it wrong. Terre d'Hermès is available as parfum – also known as extrait (de parfum) – and eau de toilette, but there is no eau de parfum concentration available of TdH.

"Pure perfume" refers to parfum/extrait and nothing else.
    Last edited by tott; 22nd June 2010 at 09:57 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

^ what he said ^

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Terre D'hermes Pure Perfume Question

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Obviously the Aussie website has it wrong. Terre d'Hermès is available as parfum – also known as extrait (de parfum) – and eau de toilette, but there is no eau de parfum concentration available of TdH.

"Pure perfume" refers to parfum/extrait and nothing else.
    Absolutely !!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I'm looking at my Terre D'Hermes Pure Perfume (parfum) box. The first three ingredients--in order are Alcohol, Fragrance (Parfum), Water (Aqua)...

Regardless of what Hermes says, wouldn't it still be an EDP rather than a Parfum if the first ingredient is alcohol?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good question, Indie. I checked Roja Dove's book. He says parfum/extrait is 20-40% juice in extremely pure alcohol, which is needed to dissolve the oils. Which would explain the order on the label if it was "pure" (95%) ethanol. First alcohol, then fragrance, then water.

He says that EDP is 7-14% juice in 90 proof alcohol. He says EDT is 3-8% juice, and EDC is generally 2-4%.

Interesting, Redneck Perfumisto, thanks for posting that. Still, I would have thought that if it was called "pure perfume" then there would be no alcohol at all. On the bottom of the box, it says "79% Vol." So, I assume that it's 79% alcohol and basically 21% parfum oils and water. I don't know what the percentages are for TdH EDT.

Just emailed Hermes AU about it.

They said:

------------------------------

Bonjour,

Terre d'Hermes pure perfume is an Eau De Parfum.
    There is no concentrate perfume available for Terre d'Hermes.

Are they still correct though

Post Thanks / Like

Hermès Australia are still wrong. There is no eau de parfum of Terre d'Hermès, whatever the Aussies claim. They can keep repeating that it's an edp, but that doesn't make it so.

I trust the French Hermès, as well as the writing on the box.
    Last edited by tott; 23rd June 2010 at 08:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maybeamac View Post
    Just emailed Hermes AU about it.

They said:

Bonjour,

Terre d'Hermes pure perfume is an Eau De Parfum.
    There is no concentrate perfume available for Terre d'Hermes.

Are they still correct though
    Not sure what they are on about. Its definitely a Parfum, although I still prefer the original.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Tried it just earlier, compare the two versions, I also prefers the EDT more.
    The pure perfume probably toward to a bit oilier somehow, to me which's not very appealing for scent like Terre d'Hermes, imho

btw, I mistakenly took the dummy bottle and actually spritz some color-water on my forearm with no scent. For 2 seconds i thought i was having olfactory fatigue...Asked the SA, 'would u mind take a sniff cos i couldnt smell anything. Guess what, she didn't detect anything either. When she realized it was the dummy bottle, me and the SA looked at each other and starting laughing....funny experience..

I just performed my own EDT vs EDP comparison - one spritz to each wrist.

I must mention that this is a fragrance I initially disliked, but recently found myself grabbing a test spray at every opportunity.

The EDP concentrates more on the mid notes - it's much fruitier and rounder. It also seems to lack the patchoulli notes of the EDT. The EDT has more of the mineralic, ozonic notes as comes across as slightly more airy and bracing. Both are very wearable and I can see a place for both in my wardrobe, some day. I like the clean and fruity EDP, with no patchoulli-type distraction. The mineral topnotes of the EDT are attractive, though.

I haven't noticed too much difference in longevity. The EDP maybe has a slight edge, but the EDT is far from short lived.

I've just placed an online order for the EDT, as it was on special as a gift pack at a local retailer, including shaving balm and body wash (as good a reason as any other!)
    Last edited by ryanm; 29th June 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ryanm, I'm not sure about what you compared since there is no edp of Terre d'Hermès...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with ryanm that the EDT is airier, sharper and projects a little further. The parfum wears a lot closer but is more full-bodied & smoldering in its warmth. I own both as they both appeal to me albeit from different angles.

Post Thanks / Like

@tott - do you like the edp or edt better?

just kidding...

Sorry - parfum, of course - pure brain fade! I won't edit unless it causes anyone undue palpitations

Post Thanks / Like

Did Jean-Claude Ellena do the EdP as well? Also, I would've thought Hermes would've gone the other way and made an EdC version of TdH.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Did Jean-Claude Ellena do the EdP as well? Also, I would've thought Hermes would've gone the other way and made an EdC version of TdH.
    Yes, Jean Claude Ellena did the parfum as well.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever it is, I just ordered one and hope to have it come next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    Sorry - parfum, of course - pure brain fade! I won't edit unless it causes anyone undue palpitations
    LOL Please don't edit! This thread is already confusing enough with all the obvious corrections!

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Whatever it is, I just ordered one and hope to have it come next week.
    Good choice! I got into TdH with the EdT, but the EdP PP P pure parfum just lasts forever on me, and has an awesome drydown. The aftershave and deo are nice, too!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a sample of it but it doesn't say if it's the EDT or Parfum, figured safest bet is to just buy the Parfum. If my sample is the EDT the longevity is still amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Interesting, Redneck Perfumisto, thanks for posting that. Still, I would have thought that if it was called "pure perfume" then there would be no alcohol at all. On the bottom of the box, it says "79% Vol." So, I assume that it's 79% alcohol and basically 21% parfum oils and water. I don't know what the percentages are for TdH EDT.
    Not necessarily - any concentration of fragrance contains alcohol needed to dilute parfum oil (a.k.a. essential oil), otherwise an oily substance. Alcohol also helps the fragrance diffuse, marking its sillage/projection.

Whereas those tiny roll-on bottles sold mainly in Eastern countries come closest to a densest concentration of the essential oils, Parfum (Extrait de Parfum) has probably the highest concentration of the extract available in mainstream fragrance market, with somewhere between 15-40% volume, giving Terre d'Hermes the rightful claim of "pure parfum", with its 21% extract content. However, the confusion lies in the 78% alcohol volume of Terre d'Hermes Eau de Toilette. thus making its essential oils content 22%, higher than most of the "Eau de Parfums" (typically 15%) and even its own "parfum" version. While Terre d'Hermes Parfum still is a parfum, and I still love it despite anything, I expected something little more luxurious and different than TdH EdT, which has already set the standard. Maybe ingredients and alcohol content in the Parfum is different, lending it its more suave and sophisticated style, as opposed to rugged and bold character of the Eau de Toilette.
    Last edited by LostArgonaut; 20th April 2011 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LostArgonaut View Post
    Maybe ingredients and alcohol content in Parfum is different, lending it its more suave and sophisticated style, as opposed to rugged and bold character of Eau de Toilette.
    Good point.

I'm not surprised that the two are so close in concentration. I didmt notice any differences with projection and longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post

"Pure perfume" refers to parfum/extrait and nothing else
    + 1