Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

So I was in Chicago this weekend and they had 2 testers of Aventus on their counter. I spray a few times on my arms and I really like it. Nothing about it stand out to me and I'm not sure I would pay the high price they are asking for it but as a fragrance it was pretty good. I had a ton of other fragrances on my arms and hands from all my sniffing so I really can't do a review on it. Also the SA's at the Creed counter weren't very helpful. They said they don't have Aventus for sale but can do a "pre-sale" but they didn't know when they would actually get it in stock. Also they never heard of Vintage Tabarome.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    . . .someone's not a Napoleon fan, I take it.

On the bright side, at least it's not the "personal scent" of a Nazi collaborator, like the last one. =X
    Indeed. The Shmuck of Windsor was, after all, a braindead twat, whose clothes were alot smarter than he was. Napoleon, for all the unquestionable evil, at least left us the Code Napoleon, a genuine advance in civilization, which, getting back to perfume, cannot be said, of Aventus. Apart from the - secondarily relevant - ghastly bottle design, is a nicely done but very much stuck-in-the-90s fragrance and I cannot imagine spending the price asked when you can get plenty of similar and equally decent fragrances for a fraction of it.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Napoleon, for all the unquestionable evil, at least left us the Code Napoleon (...)

I am afraid that often "all the unequestionable evil" is arguably mentioned too parenthetically, when it comes to dictators and their supposed benefits to humanity...

Ever heard about the expression: "at least 'he' made trains run on time"?

Even that is questionable.

http://www.snopes.com/history/govern/trains.asp

Got to try it out today thanks to a kind and benevolent Bnoter. Wow, lots and lots of fruity pineapple. Have you ever bought pre-sliced fresh pineapple in a plastic container? There's a connection. While it's supposed to invoke the conquests of a French emperor from 200 years ago, it's a very young smelling scent. If you like the carefree VIW vibe, Aventus is similar, although it smells completely different.
    Last edited by adonis; 7th July 2010 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    you do not have to like every creed to be a fan, you do not have to be a non fan to dislike many.
    unfortunately, that was not the point i was making at all.
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 8th July 2010 at 05:26 PM.

I can't remember ever being quite as disappointed with a Creed release as I am with Aventus. I got a sample yesterday and was immediately shocked at how faint and incredibly boring this stuff is. I haven't been crazy about any of the men's releases that Creed has put out in recent years, but this is a new low.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 7th July 2010 at 02:40 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Blog Entries

I just got an e-mail from the Creed boutique in NY that it's available now.

(212) 439-7777, if you're interested...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

neiman marcus in northbrook has it, i will be getting a sample in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    I haven't been crazy about any of the men's releases that Creed has put out in recent years, but this is a new low.
    this, however, is exactly the point i was making.

Basenotes Institution

So...is this a pineapple prominent scent - sort of like Ananas Fizz by L' Artisan?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So...is this a pineapple prominent scent - sort of like Ananas Fizz by L' Artisan?
    It's a very pronounced pineapple start to the frag, but that only lasts 30 minutes or so. From there it's too subtle on me to form much of an opinion. I've got a pretty dense nose and tend like pretty strong frags. It's very light and cologn-ish to me.

Some may really like it. It may be great in hot weather and right now SoCal is stuck in 60s and low 70s.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 8th July 2010 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's a very pronounced pineapple start to the frag, but that only lasts 30 minutes or so. From there it's too subtle on me to form much of an opinion. I've got a pretty dense nose and tend like pretty strong frags. It's very light and cologn-ish to me.

Some may really like it. It may be great in hot weather and right now SoCal is stuck in 60s and low 70s.
    When I saw the bottle for the first time, I imagined that this should be a dark, spicy, woody, strong masculine scent.. -The world will be taken in! ;-)

Time to swing by Nieman's.

Yeah....this is starting to sound not so good. I guess I'll stick to Windsor and I'll look forward to Spices & Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

I smelled the pinapple right to the end
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I smelled the pinapple right to the end
    What other Pineapple notes could you compare the note to?
    Riverside Drive?
    Nightflight?

And perhaps how would you describe the difference from whatever reference pineapple note in sensory terms? i.e. thicker/thinner, colder/warmer, tarter/sweeter, wetter/dry?
    Last edited by DULLAH; 8th July 2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Yeah....this is starting to sound not so good. I guess I'll stick to Windsor and I'll look forward to Spices & Wood.
    are you serious?!? you're going to go off a few comments on an obsessive website where its members think bashing Creed makes them look cool?

sad. go sample this latest Creed with an open mind and enjoy it. it smells great.

Thought I'd weigh in again. When I tried this at Neiman's a few days ago, I was somewhat underwhelmed - as I reported earlier in this thread. Pineapple notes are most definitely prominent. But the Creed rep gave me a nice sample to take with, and as I've been using it for the past day or so, I realize that after 30 minutes or so, it warms nicely to the oak moss and some of the other "house notes" that Creed is known for (ambergris, etc.). I probably didn't give it enough time to develop (hmmm, topic for another thread). I had been considering a bottle of Virgin Island Water. There are similarities, but Aventus may be a slightly more masculine or more mature version. I recant my prior statement, and would say that this may wiggle it's way on to my wish list.

Guys, I understand that everybody is entitled to their own opinion. However, let's be honest here, this stuff is a really weak (in every sense of the word) release for Creed.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Guys, I understand that everybody is entitled to their own opinion. However, let's be honest here, this stuff is a really weak (in every sense of the word) release for Creed.
    How can you possibly put those two sentences together, side by side?

Scent is enormously subjective, and Creed even more so because of their broad "scent-palette". That's why I love Acier Aluminium, while Dullah describes it as "astronaut toilet water". That's why I hate Royal English Leather, while Creed-boy-Bond over there thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

seeing as your former name was Creed-fan, you sound like the typical person who had an over-obsession with Creed at first and now is trying to compensate with over-criticism.

you have amply expressed your dislike with Aventus. Why don't you let others smell it first (or even let the fragrance be released) before you pronounce it a failure?

IMO - I have had a sample for two days and I think it's wonderful. attractive and very modern (a sorely needed attribute for the house). fits nicely between their overly-"Creedish" citrus scents like Neroli Sauvage and Green Valley but more masculine than their fruity Virgin Island Water. This one is not polarizing... it will appeal to a wide swath of people.
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 8th July 2010 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    How can you possibly put those two sentences together, side by side?

Scent is enormously subjective, and Creed even more so because of their broad "scent-palette". That's why I love Acier Aluminium, while Dullah describes it as "astronaut toilet water". That's why I hate Royal English Leather, while Creed-boy over there thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

seeing as your former name was Creed-fan, you sound like the typical person who had an over-obsession with Creed at first and now is trying to compensate with over-criticism.

you have amply expressed your dislike with Aventus. Why don't you let others smell it first (or even let the fragrance be released) before you pronounce it a failure?

IMO - I have had a sample for two days and I think it's wonderful. fits nicely between their overly-"Creedish" citrus scents like Neroli Sauvage and Green Valley but more masculine than their fruity Virgin Island Water. This one is not polarizing... it will appeal to a wide swath of people.
    Thank you very much both for the informative lecture on the subjectivity of scent, as well as for your insightful psychoanalysis regarding my true motivations in expressing my disappointment with Aventus.

However, as for my name change, you're way off. I came to BN over five years ago knowing very little about fragrance except that I enjoyed several Creed scents. Thus, when I originally registered, I chose my name without thinking too much about it. I recently decided to change it to reflect the fact that my tastes had evolved far beyond Creed. That's it, end of story.

I'm not telling anyone not to try Aventus for themselves. To the contrary, I would encourage everyone to try it. All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, this is the most underwhelming men's release from Creed in recent memory and isn't worthy of this legendary house. I can respect "bad" more than "boring", which Aventus certainly is.

P.S. Given the fact that virtually all of your 258 posts to date relate to Creed in one way or another, perhaps you should ask Grant if you can take over my old name. It certainly suits you better than it does me.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 8th July 2010 at 03:35 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

I'm not going to respond to your insults and attempts at arguing. I own many other frags and post about multitudes of them. It's nice to know you're stalking me though.

I do wonder if you have forgotten how to judge a fragrance on its own terms. Not by comparing it to other Creeds or comparing it to other houses/fragrances.

I wonder this because this juice smells SO GOOD. I can't fathom how one can put it on and think anything other than "damn this smells good". Maybe because you think it makes you look more discerning and sophisticated to be critical of everything around here, especially a new, highly anticipated Creed release. Alas, I just ain't like that... sorry.

This puts Original Vetiver to shame, making it seem completely flat and monotone in comparison. It trumps Himalaya by good measure too, while sharing some similarities to it, notably the bergamot. It is vastly more sophisticated than Virgin Island Water and Original Santal.

I'm not going to respond to your insults and attempts at arguing. I own many other frags and post about multitudes of them. It's nice to know you're stalking me though.

I do wonder if you have forgotten how to judge a fragrance on its own terms. Not by comparing it to other Creeds or comparing it to other houses/fragrances.

I wonder this because this juice smells SO GOOD. I can't fathom how one can put it on and think anything other than "damn this smells good". Maybe because you think it makes you look more discerning and sophisticated to be critical of everything around here, especially a new, highly anticipated Creed release. Alas, I just ain't like that... sorry.

This puts Original Vetiver to shame, making it seem completely flat and monotone in comparison. It trumps Himalaya by good measure too, while sharing some similarities to it, notably the bergamot. It is vastly more sophisticated than Virgin Island Water and Original Santal.
    So I'm stalking you, huh? You have quite a high opinion of yourself. All I did was click on your name and take a quick look through your posts to see that you're an unabashed Creed fanboy.

Anyway, for someone who doesn't want to argue, you have no problem making a lot of assumptions and speculating about my motivations. The truth is that I really wanted to love Aventus, as I do with every new scent I try. The bottom line is that I was really disappointed. Both my fiancee and I feel that it smells like a can of Dole pineapple juice that quickly fades away to nothing. As I said, BORRRRING!

Finally, I find it very amusing that you wonder if I have "forgotten how to judge a fragrance on its own terms ... not by comparing it to other Creeds", and then, practically in the same breath, go on to compare Aventus to Original Vetiver, Original Santal and Virgin Island Water! Do you see the irony here?
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 8th July 2010 at 04:52 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Stalking you? All I did was click on your name and take a quick look through your posts to see that you're an unabashed Creed fanboy.
    wow... someone who was literally named "Creed Fan" is calling ME a fan-boy. hahaha!!! LOL "do you see the irony here?"

Funny, as I don't like half their fragrances. including:

royal english leather
    citrus birragade
    orange spice
    royal water
    bois de cedrat
    bois de portugal
    royal delight
    epicea
    royal scottish lavender
    tabarome millesime
    zeste mandarin pamplemousse
    vetiver '48

But no no, you're right, Creed-Fan, I'm just a shoe-in for whatever they throw at me!! lol...
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 8th July 2010 at 04:58 PM.

wow... someone who was literally named "Creed Fan" is calling ME a fan-boy. hahaha!!! LOL

Funny, as I don't like half their fragrances. including:

royal english leather
    citrus birragade
    orange spice
    royal water
    bois de cedrat
    bois de portugal
    epicea
    royal scottish lavender
    tabarome millesime
    zeste mandarin pamplemousse
    vetiver '48

But no no, you're right, Creed-Fan, I'm just a shoe-in for whatever they throw at me!! lol...
    OK, as this has now devolved into a pissing contest that is of no interest to the other posters on here, I will now bow out of this "discussion"...
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

OK, as this has now devolved into a pissing contest that is of no interest to the other posters on here, I will now bow out of this "discussion"...
    it was kind of fun while it lasted.

though i must admit... when i said I LOL'd before, i really just sort of giggled on the inside. :-/

Funny, it was just the other day I was going post how basenotes is the most polite of all the forums I tender. I was actually going to inquire as to why others thought this was.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Funny, it was just the other day I was going post how basenotes is the most polite of all the forums I tender. I was actually going to inquire as to why others thought this was.
    Seriously? BN is polite for the most part, but I've seen some incredibly nasty exchanges over the years, as recently as last week when someone posted a gun and told a gay poster (who, to be fair, was intentionally trying to gross everyone out) to point it at his head in another thread. That was just chilling.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

I must subconsciously only read friendly threads. In all seriousness, with rare exception - I do feel it is one of the more courteous forums out there.

QOTD. This is a trend I have seen here before; the jekyl-and-hyde switch, which I don't understand at all.

Anyways, some may like the fragrance, some won't, some may think it is weak (while simultaneously proclaiming some other house's anemic EDC as the best thing ever), while some may love its delicate low-key balance.

Lets just keep this thread focused on discussing the fragrance (both sides of the argument) else its going to be locked soon I bet.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Yeah, BN is definitely the most polite corner of the internet I frequent although I'm sure it has its bad threads. I'm amazed that I've only ever seen one person banned from here, that's incredible given the folks who will troll anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    QOTD. This is a trend I have seen here before; the jekyl-and-hyde switch, which I don't understand at all.
    OK, I guess we need to discuss this a bit further. Apparently, I have to point out that there's a huge difference between picking the first screen name that came to mind when I was registering for BN five years ago and being labeled as a "fanboy" whose posts are 99% about Creed. While I do enjoy a few Creed scents, I have always posted on a wide variety of topics and I've never been accused of being a fanboy (or a hater) of Creed. Sorry, no Jekyl-and-Hyde switch here.

I was truly looking forward to Aventus from the time I first heard about it and was thrilled to score a sample. I was simply expressing my extreme disappointment, which I'm quite sure will be shared by most others when the hype subsides. I probably wouldn't pay $28 for this stuff, much less $280.
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 8th July 2010 at 06:33 PM.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Does anyone know if this is still down for a July release in the UK and Europe or has it been put back?
    I sent an e-mail to the UK distributor, but as usual no reply

one word.. "overrated"
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

I tested Aventus.
    At very first sniff, Aventus made an imprint.
    Literally, within 2.5 seconds, I uttered quietly, with empathy and dissapointment:

"You gotta be kidding me."

I kept trying to find an exceptional angle, something to differentiate it from the pack, and I couldn't...prior to leaving, and with knowledge of others stating that it's very light, I saturated the tester strip heavily....so I could really get a sense of the "light" basenotes once the card dried for a day....and Aventus has shown me nothing even remotely close to exceptional. This is a dud.

I have smelled this Aloe-Vera/bracing tonic/citric/tropical-fruit accord many times prior.
    Most notably in Jovan shaving balms from the late 90's, and I believe Coty's Avatar or Jovan Ginseng NRG.
    I believe one or two of the younger/fresher mass market deodorants used this accord successfully.

And the scent itself is nice enough, would do well as a mass market release by Cerruti, Lacoste, Hugo Boss, etc.
    But I simply cannot understand how creed can offer this up, bearing their marque, at a price higher than their millesime range.
    It's worth no more than $45 / 100ml.

The name is chosen very well, but the packaging is a dismal failure, and the scent itself is truly unimpressive and not worthy of the CREED marque.

I have liked several of the newer releases:
    Original Vetiver
    Virgin Island Water
    Acqua Fiorentina
    Windsor

But after Sublime Vanilla and Aventus being consecutive "That's it?" head-scratchers being issued at equally confusing premium prices, I am very worried for the future releases of this house. Fingers crossed for Woods & Spice and their EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I tested Aventus.
    Literally, within 2.5 seconds, I uttered quietly, with empathy and dissapointment:

I kept trying to find an exceptional angle, something to differentiate it from the pack, and I couldn't...prior to leaving, and with knowledge of others stating that it's very light, I saturated the tester strip heavily....so I could really get a sense of the "light" basenotes once the card dried for a day....and Aventus has shown me nothing even remotely close to exceptional. This is a dud.

I have smelled this Aloe-Vera/bracing tonic/citric/tropical-fruit accord many times prior.
    Most notably in Jovan shaving balms from the late 90's, and I believe Coty's Avatar or Jovan Ginseng NRG.
    I believe one or two of the younger/fresher mass market deodorants used this accord successfully.

And the scent itself is nice enough, would do well as a mass market release by Cerruti, Lacoste, Hugo Boss, etc.
    But I simply cannot understand how creed can offer this up, bearing their marque, at a price higher than their millesime range.

The name is chosen very well, but the packaging is a dismal failure, and the scent itself is truly unimpressive and not worthy of the CREED marque.

Original Vetiver
    Virgin Island Water
    Acqua Fiorentina
    Windsor

But after Sublime Vanilla and Aventus being consecutive "That's it?" head-scratchers being issued at equally confusing premium prices, I am very worried for the future releases of this house. Fingers crossed for Woods & Spice and their EDC.

I must admit it's grown on me - but not beyond paying, say $50/100ml. I do find the ingredients noticeably better than mass market ,which is not saying much these days, but the sum of it does not come across as "premium" - too conventional, wispy, as you say, something of a non-event. I'd rank it somewhere with stuff like the dior "Escales," which to me, when compared to some classy older colognes, seem like a deevolutionary reinvention of an inferior wheel.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you on this DULLAH. This was definitely not what I was expecting. When I heard Birch and oakmoss I was thinking creed was coming in with something heavy. Old school even. I thought maybe the pineapple would be a little top note twist but for me, the pineapple is the whole composition. It smells like that the whole way through with only a whisper of birch and oakmoss. Can Creed come up with a hardcore masculine scent?? They are playing it too safe now... much like Bond No. 9.

EDIT: I am definitely going to try it again though. The way I tried it was by blotting it on my skin. I want to have it sprayed on to see how it develops that way.
    Last edited by cairomerta; 9th July 2010 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blas View Post
    one word.. "overrated"
    It seems the majority of people here either dislike it or are ambivalent to it.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    It seems the majority of people here either dislike it or are ambivalent to it.
    It may take time to find it's fans. I think many of us who have rushed to try it may have a preference for some of the older style Creeds, or at the very least, heavier scents.

This is not my cup of tea- many Creeds aren't. Like Cairomerta, I saw birch and oakmoss and thought "great! something manly that will pound away." It does not pound.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 10th July 2010 at 08:09 PM.

I would try it if it where thrown in my lap but, I have to feel that I would agree with DULLAH. I just don't have the interest in trying this type of fragrance. Bonds Riverside Drive opens with a blast of pineapple and I didn't particularly care for that note. I can't imagine wanting to smell like a pineapple. My guess is that it wears close to the skine and if someone could faintly smell it, they'd probably assume you just spilt a can of Doles on you. Who knows. I shouldn't be so critical before trying it but, I don't have high hopes.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I can't imagine wanting to smell like a pineapple. My guess is that it wears close to the skine and if someone could faintly smell it, they'd probably assume you just spilt a can of Doles on you..
    but you can say that about any fragrance...

I don't want to smell like a coconut (VIW)
    I don't want to smell like watermelon (MI)
    I don't want to smell like mint (SV)

before I tried Aventus, i definitely never said to myself "i want to smell like pineapple"... but Creed once again pulled it off very well.

maybe the reason I love it so much is that I don't own or have sampled 10,000 fragrances like some of you nuts have. So when I smell Aventus, I just pay attention to Aventus. I can definitely see how overall it's not extremely unique (like Acier Aluminium or Tabarome) and might remind some of you of other fragrances. I guess ignorance is bliss.

at the same time, don't discount the non-extremist point of view either... that on its own merits, it smells fantastic. To dismiss it as a can of Dole pineapple juice is to be completely unserious and hyperbolic.

the fact of the matter is... Creed is no longer going to make fragrances like Acier Aluminium or Baie de Geneviere. Those days are over, be it from the new European regulations or that the fragrance market has changed so much and been flooded with competitors.

you guys sit back and whine about how Creed doesn't make another Angelique Encens. Well guess what, AE doesn't sell!!! And whether this comes as a shock to you or not... Creed is a business that needs to make money, not satisfy the crazy expectations and wants of a handful of fragrance nuts on a website.

I think Aventus is a very modern scent that is of higher quality than any designer fragrance. If it's too light for you, then say so... but to say it's a failure of a scent or that it's a can of Dole pineapple juice is just your hurt extremist feelings.

For those who say it isn't "manly" enough... how can you possibly turn around and praise stuff like Amouage Lyric. Or even most other Creeds that are borderline unisex like SMW, MI, VIW, OV, etc?

This kind of reminds me of what happens when a new Apple product is released. The build-up, anticipation, and expectations are off the charts ridiculous. Then when it's introduced, everyone bitches about how it sucks and how Apple "is really on the downside as a company". Then the product actually hits the shelves, and is a huge blowout success. This same irrational consumer process now happens to Creed.

edit: when I say "nut", i mean "extreme conneisseur". no disrespect at all! :-)
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 9th July 2010 at 07:21 PM.

but you can say that about any fragrance...

I don't want to smell like a coconut (VIW)
    I don't want to smell like watermelon (MI)
    I don't want to smell like mint (SV)

before I tried Aventus, i definitely never said to myself "i want to smell like pineapple"... but Creed once again pulled it off very well.

maybe the reason I love it so much is that I don't own or have sampled 10,000 fragrances like some of you nuts have. So when I smell Aventus, I just pay attention to Aventus. I can definitely see how overall it's not extremely unique (like Acier Aluminium or Tabarome) and might remind some of you of other fragrances. I guess ignorance is bliss.

at the same time, don't discount the non-extremist point of view either... that on its own merits, it smells fantastic. To dismiss it as a can of Dole pineapple juice is to be completely unserious and hyperbolic.

the fact of the matter is... Creed is no longer going to make fragrances like Acier Aluminium or Baie de Geneviere. Those days are over, be it from the new European regulations or that the fragrance market has changed so much and been flooded with competitors.

you guys sit back and whine about how Creed doesn't make another Angelique Encens. Well guess what, AE doesn't sell!!! And whether this comes as a shock to you or not... Creed is a business that needs to make money, not satisfy the crazy expectations and wants of a handful of fragrance nuts on a website.

I think Aventus is a very modern scent that is of higher quality than any designer fragrance. If it's too light for you, then say so... but to say it's a failure of a scent or that it's a can of Dole pineapple juice is just your hurt extremist feelings.

For those who say it isn't "manly" enough... how can you possibly turn around and praise stuff like Amouage Lyric. Or even most other Creeds that are borderline unisex like SMW, MI, VIW, OV, etc?

This kind of reminds me of what happens when a new Apple product is released. The build-up, anticipation, and expectations are off the charts ridiculous. Then when it's introduced, everyone bitches about how it sucks and how Apple "is really on the downside as a company". Then the product actually hits the shelves, and is a huge blowout success. This same irrational consumer process now happens to Creed.

My advice? Chill. Smells damn good to me.
    Honestly, if I didn't know better (which I don't), I might assume that you are a Creed rep or something. Your unrelenting praise of all things Creed--along with your rude comments leveled at any of us who dare disagree with you--are really starting to look a bit suspicious, at least in my book.

Maybe you should take some of your own advice and chill.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Honestly, if I didn't know better (which I don't), I might assume that you are a Creed rep or something. Your unrelenting praise of all things Creed--along with your rude comments leveled at any of us who dare disagree with you--are really starting to look a bit suspicious, at least in my book.

Maybe you should take some of your own advice and chill.
    what is your deal?

okay, let me ask you point blank... do you think Aventus smells BAD? or does Aventus just not live up to your hopes?

i fail to understand your assertion, "Creed Fan", about how I'm a creed rep when I specifically listed at least half their scents that I find atrocious. I still find the fact that someone named CreedFan continues to claim this to be amazing.

you are clearly unable to discuss Creed rationally. Dullah, cairometra, good_life, and StylinLA have all made great and levelheaded observations, to which I am replying. It's called "discussion".

you, however, are acting like a scorned lover. so maybe you should just excuse yourself from this thread. After all, the name of the thread is "Creed Aventus". Not "Everyone who hates Creed Aventus come in here and bitch". Positive comments about the frag ARE allowed and shouldn't be dismissed as "oh you're just a creed-apologist" or whatever craziness is going thru your head.

You have stated your displeasure with it, multiple times, with analysis on par with my 6-year old nephew ("BOORRRRRING" and "can of Dole pineapples"). So why keep coming back? Is it just to argue with those who do like it? In that case, you are the antagonist, not me.
    Last edited by TalkingMuffin; 9th July 2010 at 08:07 PM.

TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Com'on guys, don't fight, play nice!

It's just a perfume, good as it may be.

you are clearly unable to discuss Creed rationally. Dullah, cairometra, good_life, and StylinLA have all made great and levelheaded observations, to which I am replying. It's called "discussion".
    I thought he was doing fine on the conversation.

Am I the only one one who the citrus-pineapple top lasts like 6 minutes tops? Whats all this talk about the pineapple note lasting all the way into the drydown? I have yet to smell a Creed where the top citrus notes barely last into the heart notes ..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I tested Aventus.

Original Vetiver
    Virgin Island Water
    Acqua Fiorentina
    Windsor

Dullah, I have tried pretty much every cheap mens fragrance and hygiene product out there on the market - but to say that Aventus's citrus notes smell like those products is a bit too dramatic. What I get is a top notch pineapple note, excellently rendered...if you can be more specific and direct me to some of these mass market products which exhibit the same level of pineapple/apple goodness, I will be glad to try them again.
    -

I thought he was doing fine on the conversation.
    shocker... a quick search of your past posts show you're another blind Creed-basher...

Hmm, a fragrance house that flogs vastly overpriced and uninspired perfumes while lying about their history and who the perfume was supposedly created for? What about that can you not like? :P

Creed fans rave over it and Creed haters loathe it, Turin just happens to be in our camp.
    "our camp". please... don't speak for anyone but yourself, thanks.

Banned
    Blog Entries

As for Creed AVENTUS, I haven't tried it yet. And I never will.

Last edited by MOONB; 10th July 2010 at 04:21 AM.

Karlo, thanks for your lengthy quotations, but we could read the whole exchange by ourselves.

It was perhaps a little - arguably - over-hostile on both sides. There's no cage match, death blows and such on Basenotes.

Only gentlemen enjoying given fragrances more or less. No need to contribute to the animosity (-:.

Have a wonderful weekend all.
    Last edited by Addict; 10th July 2010 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karlovonamesti View Post

As for Creed AVENTUS, I haven't tried it yet. And I never will.

Your response was way more off-topic than even the little mish mash going on between two BN'ers in this thread and took way too much screen space on this thread.

Create a new off-topic thread for analyzing the (very secondary) tit tat going on here as you state yourself you clearly have no interest in trying or commenting on Aventus.
    -

Tried Aventus again tonight to see if I was missing something. Nope.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Dullah, I have tried pretty much every cheap mens fragrance and hygiene product out there on the market - but to say that Aventus's citrus notes smell like those products is a bit too dramatic. What I get is a top notch pineapple note, excellently rendered...if you can be more specific and direct me to some of these mass market products which exhibit the same level of pineapple/apple goodness, I will be glad to try them again.
    Joop! Nightflight? But one might have to take off the "naturals" vs. "synthetics" glasses to like anything Joop :-)
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

shocker... a quick search of your past posts show you're another blind Creed-basher...

"our camp". please... don't speak for anyone but yourself, thanks.
    No, no, monsieur! I bash Creed for very specific and concrete reasons. And Windycity really didn't say anything outside the boundaries of common forum discussion, certainly nothing to deserve a firestorm of vitriol.

I'd respond more to your trolling but it's not very amusing/inspired, mainly just a little sad.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 10th July 2010 at 06:55 AM.

All I can say is if there are elements of VIW in here, I'm really pumped to try it. While I love VIW, and love the way it smells, I don't feel it's versatile enough to have a place in my wardrobe. If they've managed to incorporate some of the sunny coconut and lime cheer of VIW and make it more well-rounded frag, I'm sold.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by blas View Post
    one word.. "overrated"
    How can something be overrated when only a select few have smelled it thus far? And of those few, it hasn't been exactly overwhelmingly positive. If anything, overhyped, but even by Creed's standards I'd say this hasn't been that hyped.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I tried it today. Epic fail...and this is coming from someone who's first fragrance love was the Creed House and who still thinks BdP is the best fragrance I've ever experienced. Hopefully 'Woods and Spices' will be more in line with what we know the house is capable of..

Also, who gives a damn if they lie about their marketing? Surely YOU'RE not buying it for their marketing? Judge the scent on it's smell, and smell only. Judging it relative to anything in the past will almost always end up negatively.

I have it on my arm right now and it smells very similar to the fresh opening of Armani Attitude. VERY VERY similar.

I own Armani Attitude as well, and much rather buy 5 bottles of that, then 1 bottle of this...