Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 180 of 1191
  1. #121

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    I have it on my arm right now and it smells very similar to the fresh opening of Armani Attitude. VERY VERY similar.

    I own Armani Attitude as well, and much rather buy 5 bottles of that, then 1 bottle of this...
    The opening is nothing like Attitude. Attitude opens with lemon and coffee. Aventus opens with pineapple, bergamot and blackcurrant. Two very different openings.
    -

  2. #122

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post

    My lord. Have they no shame?
    From what I can tell, they have none.

  3. #123
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    I tried it today. I thought it was OK, but nothing spectacular. I actually liked the pineapple in the opening. But the drydown did nothing for me. It's not anything I will be spending money on.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  4. #124

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    You guys are bumming me out. I really wanted to love this one. My hopes are fading fast. I'll try to sample it on Wed at Neiman's in Charlotte. At least I'll have low expectations.

  5. #125

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    mtgprox05 -

    As I mentioned on a previous post in this thread, there definitely are elements of VIW. I originally thought too much so, but eventually the pineapple settled down, and it felt more robust. For some reason, I feel that VIW is strictly a summertime frag, whereas this could be a year rounder. I like it.

  6. #126

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    I tried it today. Epic fail...and this is coming from someone who's first fragrance love was the Creed House and who still thinks BdP is the best fragrance I've ever experienced. Hopefully 'Woods and Spices' will be more in line with what we know the house is capable of..
    One thing to note regarding the release of Woods and Spice is that it will be released in the flacon size, along the lines of Sublime Vanille, but with a different sprayer on top. This info. comes from Creed rep in the NYC store. Get ready for some splits...

  7. #127

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    should of clarified. the heart and drydown of Aventus smells like he opening of Attitude.

    my nose says so, sorry lol

  8. #128
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,382

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Tried it at Niemans and really liked it. Will purchase a large bottle of it soon.

  9. #129

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I tried it today. I thought it was OK, but nothing spectacular. I actually liked the pineapple in the opening. But the drydown did nothing for me. It's not anything I will be spending money on.
    It's the drydown that i love the most.

    0 - 30min: fruity pineapple. reminiscent of VIW. very light and gives the impression that this is not a very exceptional fragrance.

    30 - 3hr: a smokiness and spicy quality comes out. the fruitiness calms down but is still there.

    3hr - 12hr: my favorite part. turns into a wonderfullly creamy, alluring, and seductive Creed base. Creed doesn't have anything that in my mind warrants the description "sexy"... until now with Aventus. It just takes a couple hours to get there.


    It has incredible longevity for a Creed. That "12hr" is not a typo. I put this on at 9pm the other night, and woke up the next morning and could smell the wonderful drydown very clearly.

    I think this does well with repeated layerings. Spray once... wait a couple hours, spray again. That way the drydown base is there and gives a better foundation for the top notes.

  10. #130

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    turns into a wonderfullly creamy, alluring, and seductive Creed base.
    I think this does well with repeated layerings. Spray once... wait a couple hours, spray again. That way the drydown base is there and gives a better foundation for the top notes.
    I will say one thing, regarding the base.
    my tester card from several days ago is now absent the sharp/metallic currant, and absent the pineapple, it is now a decently powdery, "light and dry" somewhat conservatively masculine base which does not smell terribly cheap like the top and heart notes.

    It's almost as if Creed deliberately was using dry/powdery notes to somehow temper the "lack of class" in the pineapple/fruit notes, with little success. However, the base itself, when divorced from the pineapple/aloe/currant/bracing top/heart, is actually not bad. I imagine Aventus Base married with the heart and topnotes of Green valley would be outstanding, as I always thought the Green Valley base/drydown (too sweet/dated) as the weak point of the composition. And vice versa to Aventus.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 11th July 2010 at 04:23 PM.

  11. #131

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    I'd be interested to hear your impressions after wearing the fragrance on your skin, as opposed to a tester card.

    As with most Creeds, the ambergris, musk, and other Aventus basenotes develop quite strongly when mixed with natural skin oils (and body-heat).

    it's interesting to see your aversion to pineapple. i doubt Olivier and Erwin sat there and said "lets give Aventus a rich, classy base to make up for the crappy top-notes we are determined to use".

    i see what you're saying about Green Valley though...

  12. #132

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I will say one thing, regarding the base.
    my tester card from several days ago is now absent the sharp/metallic currant, and absent the pineapple, it is now a decently powdery, "light and dry" somewhat conservatively masculine base which does not smell terribly cheap like the top and heart notes.

    It's almost as if Creed deliberately was using dry/powdery notes to somehow temper the "lack of class" in the pineapple/fruit notes, with little success. However, the base itself, when divorced from the pineapple/aloe/currant/bracing top/heart, is actually not bad. I imagine Aventus Base married with the heart and topnotes of Green valley would be outstanding, as I always thought the Green Valley base/drydown (too sweet/dated) as the weak point of the composition. And vice versa to Aventus.
    I don't understand what exactly it is about the top notes which smells "cheap" to you - is it the quality of the pineapple note or is it the pineapple note itself period ? If its the quality then I would be interested in learning which other pineapple note do you find far superior as to me both Riverside Drive and Ananas Fizz can't compare to the pineapple in Aventus.
    -

  13. #133

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    I'd be interested to hear your impressions after wearing the fragrance on your skin, as opposed to a tester card.

    As with most Creeds, the ambergris, musk, and other Aventus basenotes develop quite strongly when mixed with natural skin oils (and body-heat).

    it's interesting to see your aversion to pineapple. i doubt Olivier and Erwin sat there and said "lets give Aventus a rich, classy base to make up for the crappy top-notes we are determined to use".

    i see what you're saying about Green Valley though...
    a fragrance is definitely different when applied on skin as opposed to paper. i wish they would do away with the paper and get spraying containers like how Frederic Malle does it.

  14. #134

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    i doubt Olivier and Erwin sat there and said "lets give Aventus a rich, classy base to make up for the crappy top-notes we are determined to use".
    1st, i wouldn't call Aventus Base "rich", it's base is far too light imo. I had to really saturate the card and wait patiently to discover the base's attributes. As for the assertion, perhaps I need further explanation.

    All available pineapple notes/accords tend to smell either overly sweet, or very texturally wet and slightly warm, of which neither attribute is at all elegant. Whether consciously intentional or otherwise, the textural jockeying between the dry/slightly-powdery base & the fruit top likely occured for that very reason. See Canoe and Habit Rouge for two classic examples of this textural interplay projecting a more elegant sum.

    Still don't like Aventus, but if Creed re-worked this base amped up alot in another non-fruit fresh scent or a wood/aromatic/spice, I'd be pleased. Matter of fact, I'm hoping my earlier prediction comes true and the aventus base is more or less present in Spice & Woods:

    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Aventus, at least by the notes, certainly doesn't seem like Bois De Santal LOL!

    Apple/Bergamot/Rose/Birch/Patchouli/Oakmoss makes me think these were each based off a single experiment, and it went in two equally likable directions....
    Last edited by DULLAH; 12th July 2010 at 09:30 AM.

  15. #135

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    The official UK release date, just received from Creed via e-mail is 23rd July 2010. It's exclusively available at Harrods and Selfridges. Now to find a sample lol

  16. #136

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    I actually really like the bottle. The black leather wrap and clear glass seems a nice combination to me, though the stainless steel engraving seems a little overboard.

    Awfully expensive, though, I'm sure I can wait for that exorbitant price to cool down a bit before I consider a bottle.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

  17. #137

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    I just heard about this new frag the other day. Someone commented that if you liked VIW,SMW,MI, and GIT you will like AVENTUS. I for one, I'm looking forward to making a trip to Saks again soon and see if they have it. From What I've read on this thread, people compare it to Riverside Drive and VIW. I just happen to like all the Creeds mentioned above as well as Riverside Drive. If talkingmuffin is correct and Aventus lasts 12hrs on the skin, I am going to be sold on this fragrance. Can't wait to try it and make up my own mind. Thanks for all the input pro or against. It's always good to hear from both sides.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

  18. #138

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    The VIW comparison is a mystery to me. As is the GIT one, SMW - a tiny bit because of the blackcurrant. MI - likewise a tiny bit. But don't expect anything which smells like those. Expect pineapple.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  19. #139

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    The VIW comparison is a mystery to me. As is the GIT one, SMW - a tiny bit because of the blackcurrant. MI - likewise a tiny bit. But don't expect anything which smells like those. Expect pineapple.
    H_D is correct. It smells nothing like ViW (citrus, sugarcane, rum) or GIT (violet leaves, ambergris).

    To me it smells nothing like SMW or MI either...the blackcurrant isn't strong enough to form a SMW connection like as in Green Valley, and there is no lemon, citrus, salt accord like as in MI.

    Expect a pineapple, citrus, blackcurrant opening, which dissolves in 5-10 mins into a light patchouli-moss accord with a little salty ambergris. As has been mentioned before its an edc-type fragrance which works best when sprayed heavy.
    -

  20. #140

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    I am really, really sorry I have to situate myself among the naysayers here. (I am a Creed fan, by the way. It is the perfume house I wouldn't want to live without.)

    Got it (Aventus), smelt it, disliked it.

    OK, it's not that it's stinky, Creed never creates something that bad. I can hardly remember though a Creed fragrance to smell so mainstream. Perhaps Himalaya excepted. The kind of stuff that, not knowing Creed, you get in Macy's or Bergners and you think it's good. And indeed it's not bad. However, this is no Creed level. It's not so much the pineapple everybody keeps talking about... I wish I were sniffing more of the freaking pineapple in fact. It smells mostly smoky and a little leathery to me, and not in a particularly good way. Not in a particularly bad way either, but that's not what one expects from this house.

    Sorry - I really really wanted to be more enthusiastic. One point of dissent from other, more distinguished than I, basenoters: I don't find it too light, too cologney etc. Rather heavy, rather safe, rather boring and too long-lived.

    If I were religious, I'd pray that the present owners of the House of Creed would understand they have to stick a lot more to their traditional values and wouldn't try to get too modern, trendy, mindlessly mainstream.

    That's not the way to go. Not for the - arguably - most extraordinary perfume house in existence.

    Dig for the old recipes, Olivier, keep yourselves at a different level. Your loyal customers will appreciate that. Those who like Aventus (which is not a bad fragrance by average standards) will find anyway a cheaper, similar fragrance to buy...
    Last edited by Addict; 14th July 2010 at 02:58 AM.

  21. #141

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Olivier, keep yourselves at a different level.
    I wonder if Erwin had a much larger role in Aventus than just gathering the raw materials...

  22. #142

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    I wonder if Erwin had a much larger role in Aventus than just gathering the raw materials...
    I have guessed this as a major possibility since the notes were listed by CairoMerta. And I have long suspected an account here to be Erwin, since a pm last spring or winter, and this thread has only served to enforce that "likely wrong" assumption.

    That said, if true, a little less habanolide and the base is not bad at all, a reserved modern elegant base, with a "higher" tone to it as most creed bases tend to have than other comprable bases. so if indeed this is his first solo work, there is some redeeming work amongst the failure(imo) of the topnotes/midnotes and packaging.

  23. #143
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Man, I hope this stuff gets into my part of the world pretty soon. I'm definitely missing out on all the fun.
    * * * *

  24. #144

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    That said, if true, a little less habanolide and the base is not bad at all, a reserved modern elegant base, with a "higher" tone to it as most creed bases tend to have than other comprable bases. so if indeed this is his first solo work, there is some redeeming work amongst the failure(imo) of the topnotes/midnotes and packaging.
    Not trying to cry wolf, but there have been some odd rumblings from Creed recently, the most bizarre is the transfer of all of their trademark property to their Luxembourg distributor, a move I can't understand. Might be part of a reshuffle for Erwin.

  25. #145

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I have guessed this as a major possibility since the notes were listed by CairoMerta. And I have long suspected an account here to be Erwin, since a pm last spring or winter, and this thread has only served to enforce that "likely wrong" assumption.

    That said, if true, a little less habanolide and the base is not bad at all, a reserved modern elegant base, with a "higher" tone to it as most creed bases tend to have than other comprable bases. so if indeed this is his first solo work, there is some redeeming work amongst the failure(imo) of the topnotes/midnotes and packaging.
    Dullah, do you know for sure that this is the musk used? I would be very interested....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  26. #146

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Expect a pineapple, citrus, blackcurrant opening, which dissolves in 5-10 mins into a light patchouli-moss accord with a little salty ambergris. As has been mentioned before its an edc-type fragrance which works best when sprayed heavy.
    Well, I am ready for a Creed powerhouse. I grow tired of the anemic EDC offerings. I am grateful for your opinion and trust what you have to say about this. So, I'll have to pass on my hopes for this. I will gladly sample it when possible but I won't go out of my way.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  27. #147
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,571

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    H_D is correct. It smells nothing like ViW (citrus, sugarcane, rum) or GIT (violet leaves, ambergris).

    To me it smells nothing like SMW or MI either...the blackcurrant isn't strong enough to form a SMW connection like as in Green Valley, and there is no lemon, citrus, salt accord like as in MI.

    Expect a pineapple, citrus, blackcurrant opening, which dissolves in 5-10 mins into a light patchouli-moss accord with a little salty ambergris. As has been mentioned before its an edc-type fragrance which works best when sprayed heavy.
    That actually sounds pretty good.

    Is it very sweet zz?

  28. #148

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    H_D is correct. It smells nothing like ViW (citrus, sugarcane, rum) or GIT (violet leaves, ambergris).

    To me it smells nothing like SMW or MI either...the blackcurrant isn't strong enough to form a SMW connection like as in Green Valley, and there is no lemon, citrus, salt accord like as in MI.

    Expect a pineapple, citrus, blackcurrant opening, which dissolves in 5-10 mins into a light patchouli-moss accord with a little salty ambergris. As has been mentioned before its an edc-type fragrance which works best when sprayed heavy.
    To me what you have described sounds great and if it has the longivity some have mentioned, It's going to be fantastic. I am not the type of person who wears a fragrance to be entertained by it's development. I wear it to help me set a tone, a mood, or make a statement. Possibly, to anounce my presence :-))
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

  29. #149

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Well, I am ready for a Creed powerhouse.
    Have you tried Love in Black? Its not exactly a longlasting powerhouse as it simmers down fast over time but it is my favorite Creed since Feuille Verte. It showcases one of the best wet dewy violet notes I have experienced in quite some time and contains excellent grade rose, iris and cedar oils. Its metamorphosis from a violet-iris top to a skunky-strange dirty-socks cedar accord is something I never get tired of.
    -

  30. #150

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is it very sweet zz?
    Not that sweet unless you count the sweet-tartness inherent within the pineapple and apple top notes. The blackcurrant is fairly subdued to my nose as are the florals listed in the middle notes.
    -

  31. #151

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    It is a very light scent, you can smell the pineapple, apple and that is basically all i can smell.I am not impressed. I prefer millesime imperial over to this. To me it does not live up to the hype. Worth a try of course, it might be my body chem.

  32. #152

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Dullah, do you know for sure that this is the musk used? I would be very interested....
    generally, several musks will be blended, and i assume that to be the case here. And upon first close inspection, the most prominent of any musk note, to my nose in Aventus, seems to be habanolide (very fresh unisex musk). It seems almost as prominent as the Ambroxan (salty/algae/fresh/pondwater/waxy) here. Ambroxan seems to stick out more in newer batches of GIT/EROLFA/MI/SMW, where it was more "covered" in my older batches. The use of Ambroxan in aventus is perfect. Habanolide tends to be just slightly too femme for my tastes. That said, the rest of Aventus' base construction seems very complex and refined for being so light and weak. And while very contemporary, the base is also very conservative. I just wish Aventus' base was a higher strength and not overwhelmed by a top/heart I could never grow to tolerate. I must've sprayed 25 sprays on the tester card and waited several days of hating the smell of the room the card was in, before getting a good sense of the base.

  33. #153

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    I prefer millesime imperial over to this.
    10,000 fold.

  34. #154

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    ^^^ would still like to get your read on Aventus after spraying yourself 25 times instead of a tester card. i'd also have loved to see the look on the SA's face wherever you went when she saw you empty a portion of her Aventus bottle on a tester card. lol...


    I notice something else weird about Aventus... it opens fairly flamboyantly as we have all noted (be it to the detriment of pineapple haters or the delight of pineapple lovers)... but that middle period I described about 30min-2hrs in, not only does it change to a smoky-spicy vibe, but it also lowers its "volume" quite a bit. You'd almost think it has the worst longevity ever, but then something strange happens... after a couple of hours, it blooms again, and the extremely pleasant base comes to the forefront. the sillage actually seems to go UP. like an upside down bellcurve.

    very strange... the only Creed I have that behaves like that.

  35. #155

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    ^^^ would still like to get your read on Aventus after spraying yourself 25 times instead of a tester card. i'd also have loved to see the look on the SA's face wherever you went when she saw you empty a portion of her Aventus bottle on a tester card. lol...
    I'm a giant menacing looking dude, most of the time, the SA wonder what I'm doing at a Creed counter until they hear me speak. LOL Not one has ever given me the skunk eye, or much less said something, for abusing the testers. And I don't think I'll test Aventus on my skin, as that is not as accurate to test the conposition of any fragrance. Plus, 99% of the time, my fragrances are worn on clothes. skin I only use 100% natural oils.

    And as for the smokiness, I remember others commenting on how smoky chergui was, then when i tested it, nothing. I do smell a certain distinct powdery/smoky thing in both, but in both it seems to clean to be smoke. More like walking thru a cloud of powdered sugar or better yet talcum powder. Even the cleanest and coldest of multi-chambered, diffused icecatcher Bongs can't produce a "smoke" this clean.

  36. #156

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I'm a giant menacing looking dude, most of the time, the SA wonder what I'm doing at a Creed counter until they hear me speak. LOL Not one has ever given me the skunk eye, or much less said something, for abusing the testers. And I don't think I'll test Aventus on my skin, as that is not as accurate to test the conposition of any fragrance. Plus, 99% of the time, my fragrances are worn on clothes. skin I only use 100% natural oils.

    And as for the smokiness, I remember others commenting on how smoky chergui was, then when i tested it, nothing. I do smell a certain distinct powdery/smoky thing in both, but in both it seems to clean to be smoke. More like walking thru a cloud of powdered sugar or better yet talcum powder. Even the cleanest and coldest of multi-chambered, diffused icecatcher Bongs can't produce a "smoke" this clean.
    haha... touche..

    couple things..

    - you really spray right on clothes? does that not stain them?

    - aren't many fragrances SUPPOSED to mix with natural skin oils? isn't that what makes Silver Mountain Water smell much different on me than on my woman?

  37. #157

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    - you really spray right on clothes? does that not stain them?

    - aren't many fragrances SUPPOSED to mix with natural skin oils? isn't that what makes Silver Mountain Water smell much different on me than on my woman?
    --I rarely wear ALL WHITE, so there's always a place to spray, but when it's all white, I'll saturate the inner waistband or inner cuff seam, or the hair on my head.

    --I'm sure that's what makes SMW smell diff on you & your girl. But this works out for me, as my skin devours fresh/light/citrus notes instantly. And most of the scents I like are fresh/green/citrus-prominent.

  38. #158

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    generally, several musks will be blended, and i assume that to be the case here. And upon first close inspection, the most prominent of any musk note, to my nose in Aventus, seems to be habanolide (very fresh unisex musk). It seems almost as prominent as the Ambroxan (salty/algae/fresh/pondwater/waxy) here. Ambroxan seems to stick out more in newer batches of GIT/EROLFA/MI/SMW, where it was more "covered" in my older batches. The use of Ambroxan in aventus is perfect. Habanolide tends to be just slightly too femme for my tastes. That said, the rest of Aventus' base construction seems very complex and refined for being so light and weak. And while very contemporary, the base is also very conservative. I just wish Aventus' base was a higher strength and not overwhelmed by a top/heart I could never grow to tolerate. I must've sprayed 25 sprays on the tester card and waited several days of hating the smell of the room the card was in, before getting a good sense of the base.
    Often a blend of musks is used, as you say, though often one is dominant. I'm familiar with ambroxan - I don't get a huge presence of it in the base of this. The musk in aventus is a familiar smell but I've never had a name for it. Something very similar forms the musk base in original vetiver.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 14th July 2010 at 08:47 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  39. #159

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Not that sweet unless you count the sweet-tartness inherent within the pineapple and apple top notes. The blackcurrant is fairly subdued to my nose as are the florals listed in the middle notes.
    Blackcurrant bud is a weird note. It has a kind of "broad" presence without a loud odour signature.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  40. #160

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Often a blend of musks is used, as you say, though often one is dominant. I'm familiar with ambroxan - I don't get a huge presence of it in the base of this. The musk in aventus is a familiar smell but I've never had a name for it. Something very similar forms the musk base in original vetiver.
    The very first moment I smelled pure Habanolide, I thought immediately about the persistent feminity I didn't like about Mugler cologne. Original Vetiver did a much better job flanking it with woody and masculine notes.

    And the ambrox is there at the very end, quite clearly. Perhaps blast a huge application, and it'll be easier to detect, as when Aventus is applied in a sane manner, the base is too weak to really dissect.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 14th July 2010 at 09:14 PM.

  41. #161

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    ^^^ would still like to get your read on Aventus after spraying yourself 25 times instead of a tester card. i'd also have loved to see the look on the SA's face wherever you went when she saw you empty a portion of her Aventus bottle on a tester card. lol...


    I notice something else weird about Aventus... it opens fairly flamboyantly as we have all noted (be it to the detriment of pineapple haters or the delight of pineapple lovers)... but that middle period I described about 30min-2hrs in, not only does it change to a smoky-spicy vibe, but it also lowers its "volume" quite a bit. You'd almost think it has the worst longevity ever, but then something strange happens... after a couple of hours, it blooms again, and the extremely pleasant base comes to the forefront. the sillage actually seems to go UP. like an upside down bellcurve.

    very strange... the only Creed I have that behaves like that.
    I like pineapple, this fragrance is well made, it does last longer than most fresh Creed scents, it is just not for me. I think it is OK, it is not offensive it is not a bad smell it just isn't SPECTACULAR in my book.

  42. #162

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    I tried it today. My wife and 14 year-old both liked it. They (Nieman's) gave me a good sized sample that will be good for about 3-4wearings.

    After a few hours the scent reminded me more of Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street than anything else. I call 'em like I smell 'em. I'll report back after I've tested it on a few more occasions.

  43. #163

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I must've sprayed 25 sprays on the tester card and waited several days of hating the smell of the room the card was in, before getting a good sense of the base.
    Whoa man, Don't waste it all. You can share with those of us that have not had the oportunity to do so :-0

    This is great to hear everyone disect a fragrance. I am impressed on how you can pick out the details on a frag down to the smallest detail on musks. I am sure that when I get a chance to try it, I'll probably detect the pineapple and maybe the similarity to MI amd SMW because of the blackcurrant. I had noticed the similarity between MI and SMW but it was not until this thread that I realized it was that ingredient that brought them in the same family.
    Last edited by Scentdawg; 15th July 2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

  44. #164

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I tried it today. My wife and 14 year-old both liked it. They (Nieman's) gave me a good sized sample that will be good for about 3-4wearings.

    After a few hours the scent reminded me more of Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street than anything else. I call 'em like I smell 'em. I'll report back after I've tested it on a few more occasions.
    Even more good news to me, I really like Bleeker Street. It's one of my favorite Bonds. Please post again and let us know what you think.
    I could not help but noticed you are from Georgia. Did you get your sample from the Neimen's at Lenox Mall? If they have it there. I may be dropping by to get me a sample in about two weeks. I have a convention in Fla. to go to next week. So I'll probably go by and get it the following week. Please let me know.
    Last edited by Scentdawg; 15th July 2010 at 10:29 AM.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

  45. #165

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    i'm two hours into a generous sample, trying to fathom why i'm kinda digging this in ways i can't quite put my finger on, and it hits me: it seems to have best aspects of loewe para homme (the original mixture sold in the late '70s). the huge difference is that aventus lasts and lasts where loewe would have long faded as if it had never been applied. btw..the aventus smelled even better outdoors in balmy air. just sayin ...

  46. #166

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentdawg View Post
    Even more good news to me, I really like Bleeker Street. It's one of my favorite Bonds. Please post again and let us know what you think.
    I could not help but noticed you are from Georgia. Did you get your sample from the Neimen's at Lenox Mall? If they have it there. I may be dropping by to get me a sample in about two weeks. I have a convention in Fla. to go to next week. So I'll probably go by and get it the following week. Please let me know.
    Actually it was in the Neiman Marcus in the South Park Mall in Charlotte. They said they will only order the amount they know they will sell, so they said to let them know if I want it and they would order it for me.

    I am wearing it today. It is a sweet scent, literally. Pineapple is prevalent from the get-go. Then it is definitely a dry down toward a Purple Lable, Bleecker Street, RL Romance Silver type of scent. There's a little Virgin Island Water in there, too.

    It's a nice little scent, but not at that price. It will probably make it to the grey market eventually, where it would be far more palatable.

  47. #167
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    I like pineapple, this fragrance is well made, it does last longer than most fresh Creed scents, it is just not for me. I think it is OK, it is not offensive it is not a bad smell it just isn't SPECTACULAR in my book.
    My thoughts as well.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  48. #168

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    There is a fleeting mystery note in this that is delicious. Fleeting is the problem. I catch whiffs of it, then it's gone. It's sweet and almost caramel like. Maybe as the day goes by I will uncover it.

  49. #169

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Keep posting as the scent develops. You're describing all the frags I like. In purple Label, there is Leather and tobacco to my nose. Does Aventus have these ingredients also?
    Last edited by Scentdawg; 15th July 2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

  50. #170

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentdawg View Post
    Keep posting as the scent develops. You're describing all the frags I like. In purple Label, there is Leather and tobacco to my nose. Those Aventus have these ingredients also?
    no, you smell the birch tar maybe some oakmoss but a good amount of apple and pineapple. that is about it, i do not get rose or vanilla, there is no tobacco or leather.

  51. #171

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    I got my sample just yesterday so I am a little late to the party Aventus. At first sniff I thought, Erwin is trying to grab a piece of the summertime sales from Chanel with their Allure Homme Sprt Col. and Ed. Blanche. The Chanels have really owned that tart citrus then light musk + smooothe drydown formula for summer of 2010. Erwin said let's get some of that business and we will go with pinneapple, then musks and smoothe drydown. Just my fantasy about what went into the strategy of this fragrance.

    But actually at the end of the day Aventus has as much in common with other Creeds (SMW) than the Chanels. I have always been intrigued by this blackcurrent chemical musk because it also has that magical silvery musk scent in the drydown. Aventus opens with Pinneapple / green apple plus the blackcurrent scent and is a very lively opening and works in summer or hot weather! I like the opening. The middle quietens down considerably into an "air conditioned" cool and silvery musk plus dry birch wood, then a solft ambergris/vanilla base plus some patchouli to keep it just a bit on the polished stainless steel metallic side.

    I like this scent. It is not my new favorite or anything but it is slightly different than anything else out there and I could almost be talking myself into a bottle. Expensive though - I would definitely spring for a part of a split of flacon if anyone can put that together.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 14th August 2010 at 02:25 AM.

  52. #172

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    The pervading sweetness is green in tone. Has to be the apple and pineapple.

  53. #173

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    I picked up a 1 oz bottle of Aventus at the Creed Boutique in NYC today even though I was underwhelmed (at first). The opening blast is beautiful -- sweet citrus and berries. Then after a minute or so ... where did it go? I bought the little one because I was just excited to add a new Creed to my collection. While heading back to the office in the NYC heat, the scent came to life again. I began to grow more familiar with it. By the time I got back to work, the woods had emerged and mixed with the sweet pineapple and blackcurrent (which I never thought I would like) and I was in love with it. I'll be returning my 1 oz for a full bottle tomorrow. I hate pineapple and would never want to smell like one, but I LOVE THIS! Creed has been hit and miss with me, this, to me, is a hit.

    I've used this analogy on here before, but I believe that fragrances are like songs. Some you love from the very start, some you grow to love through familiarity.

  54. #174

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Two days wearing Aventus and I'm loving it more and more. From the refreshing, cooling opening to the next morning when I can still smell the birch, rose and vanilla which appear late in it's development. I haven't fallen for a fragrance this much in a long time.

  55. #175

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Oh Mike, you'll make me give it another try.

  56. #176

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY911 View Post
    Two days wearing Aventus and I'm loving it more and more. From the refreshing, cooling opening to the next morning when I can still smell the birch, rose and vanilla which appear late in it's development. I haven't fallen for a fragrance this much in a long time.
    me too man! I got my 4.0 bottle (shipped) from NYC Creed Boutique on Thursday. Spraying this on is so much better (than dabbing it on from the samples I had).

    I know what you mean about "the next morning". Amazing longevity.

    This really fills a gaping hole in the Creed lineup... that of a modern, sexy scent. Creed is obviously famous for creating unique, nature-based scents. But they've never had a frag that can stand side-by-side with the best modern colognes (and absolutely crush them) until now with Aventus.

    Also, step outside in hot-humid weather and it goes crazy. I def think this is a warm-weather frag. Probably won't project well, or be appropriate for, cold weather.

  57. #177

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    me too man! I got my 4.0 bottle (shipped) from NYC Creed Boutique on Thursday. Spraying this on is so much better (than dabbing it on from the samples I had).

    I know what you mean about "the next morning". Amazing longevity.

    This really fills a gaping hole in the Creed lineup... that of a modern, sexy scent. Creed is obviously famous for creating unique, nature-based scents. But they've never had a frag that can stand side-by-side with the best modern colognes (and absolutely crush them) until now with Aventus.

    Also, step outside in hot-humid weather and it goes crazy. I def think this is a warm-weather frag. Probably won't project well, or be appropriate for, cold weather.
    I have to say that TM's latest "defense" of Aventus is the closest to my own experience, including the longevity (which some complained about as being short, while I found it too much)... minus the extremely volatile/subjective element of enjoyment. I think he is right about Aventus being "a frag that can stand side-by-side with the best modern colognes". It's just that I don't personally like mainstream "modern colognes" too much, but for those who do, this does kinda the same thing, but better indeed.

  58. #178

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    So with which designer scent(s) would you compare Aventus to? In terms of similarity of the scent?

    Think of GIT, similar to Cool Water. Himalaya, similar to Paco Rabanne XS etc.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

    Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

    Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

  59. #179

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    Just talked to the Creed Rep at Neimen's at Lennox Mall. They just got some samples, She is supposed to send me one soon. Can't wait to try it. I hope I alike it as much as Talkingmuffin, chuck and Mike.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

  60. #180

    Default Re: AVENTUS by Creed

    I got a call from the Creed boutique the other day saying they will be getting only 10 flacons of Aventus right now and I'm on their list. If anyone wants a piece of this send me a PM.

Similar Threads

  1. OSLO-FJORD`S swap list. Niche and designers.
    By Oslo-Fjord in forum Items for Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th August 2014, 10:21 AM
  2. New Creed Aventus and Creed Spice and Woods Updates and notes!!
    By cairomerta in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 21st June 2010, 10:44 PM
  3. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 5th June 2009, 01:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •