Code of Conduct
    oliverandco

Default rare leather accord - by surprise ! ! !

Hello,

i was experimenting with my new raw materials.
    i started creating a base accord: haiti vetiver, a bit of styrax, and touchness of labdanum. I loved.

next day i put a few drops of osmanthus absolute, just to experimenting. i liked it. a bit of sweetness combine with smoke haiti vetiver smell.

then i was confusing about heart and top notes directions...

i tried adding herbs and spices, mainly herbs: ginger, clove bud, coriander, tarragon,
    i was looking a top note, and then i add a bit of bergamote and lime.

finally i add 1 drop patchouly and little bit ambroxan.

i didnīt like it, so cloud, so rare, so dark, too dry, not layering...

but, surprise ! ! ! 1 week later i smell again, and a i found a rare leather (base and heart) accord. i really like it. i canīt smell ginger or tarragon or clovebud or bergamote... i smell together everything and it seems leather, rare leather. too dry, too strong, not delicate...

i donīt know what directions follow for hearth note and top note. now is too strong.

any suggestions?

Thanks !

Default Re: rare leather accord - by surprise ! ! !

I love the sound of this. Just my sort of smells. I do not see any flowers going on here. It sounds like it could take a jasmine or frangipani heart with maybe a bitter orange top note (or mandarin or tangerine).

I'm no expert myself though. Take a drop or two out of your mix and try with that first. I would hate my suggestions to spoil your lovely leather smell. I have been trying to get a leather smell for myself. Would you be willing to share your recipe if I gave you one of mine? You can PM it if you don't want it visible.

oliverandco

i think i will separate two bottles of my perfume. one for experimenting, other for keep in my collection.
    i will try with flowers, i had thinking about jasmin the same day, but still i donīt have a good one in my organ.

thanks for your advices !

oliverandco

3 weeks later...

i am happy with smell, but i find very bitter alcohol smell.
    my friends have smelled and they says... i like, but smell alcohol.

apart, it appears some cloudy resin at the floor of the bottle, i need to shake to dilute.
    what happens?

sorry for questions, but i am beginner in this world :-)

I couldn't say for sure, but it's possible that as the top notes subside and blend in you and others are able to smell the alcohol carrier at first. One solution might be to intensify the top a little to mask the alcohol smell. Others may have better ideas. Often mixtures with resins like styrax/benzoin, labdanum, etc. will develop some sediment, as will dilutions of some absolutes. They don't hurt anything and can generally be removed by filtering.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

oliverandco

Hi Doc Elly,

sorry for delay. i was very busy with my relocate to Madrid.
    I think you are right with top notes. But i donīt want to touch nothing because i love this leather smell.
    I will reformulate and change some ingredients, i think i will have more possibilities to build a parfum with base medium and top notes.

Thanks so much for your replys !!!

i hope to get more time to write on this forum

Regards

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    I couldn't say for sure, but it's possible that as the top notes subside and blend in you and others are able to smell the alcohol carrier at first. One solution might be to intensify the top a little to mask the alcohol smell. Others may have better ideas. Often mixtures with resins like styrax/benzoin, labdanum, etc. will develop some sediment, as will dilutions of some absolutes. They don't hurt anything and can generally be removed by filtering.

oliverandco

I have tested today, and reformulate again with some addings and eliminating some others ones...

itīs very nice smells, i think it could be a parfum itself.

the notes more noticed are vetiver and osmanthus, and i really like. is not easy to work with osmanthus