Code of Conduct

Default Carlos Santana For Men

It seems the majority of BNers tend to stay away from celebrity fragrances, as do I. Often they are boring, uninspired and smell like locker room drugstore scents. But I've read a lot of glowing reviews here for Carlos Santana...and I'm thinking about purchasing it, but wanted to hear some individual opinions. I'm 24, and like scents that are appropriate for my age. And I've read that this, while smelling great, is notably "masculine." So I'm curious, is this 'old-man,' hairy-chested, super strong 80-s fragrance "masculine," or does it just come off as something a woman DEFINITELY wouldn't wear. I prefer both masculine and gender-neutral scents because often, the latter smell less "cologney" and do not elicit the "oh, he's wearing a cologne" comments, but rather garner more "mmm...you smell nice" comments. I hate smelling feminine, though.

With all that said, does CS come aross as something for a teenager/boy, or even on the opposite side of the spectrum, for a 50 yr old man? Could you compare the scent and strength to any other fragrances out there? Could you describe the scent and/or aura it leaves? I'm really excited about the way this one sounds, but don't want to be let down.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Carlos Santana For Men

Hey, I'm glad you show some interest in Carlos Santana Cologne. I just have a sample, so my
    input is a bit limited. I am probably going to review this one on my Youtube fragrance channel
    sometime soon, I guess I'll keep you posted. Anyway, I agree that this is an exciting fragrance
    for a celebrity scent. I definitely think a woman could pull this off, but it's still not too inappropriate for a guy either. I haven't recently analyzed the notes here, but I believe it's a sweet cinnamon vanilla type scent. I think I might compare it a bit to Dunhill Desire Red, but I think Santana is actually more bottle
    worthy IMO. I'd say it's a fun scent to wear. A bit daring perhaps, but not so much that you couldn't wear it to work.

Blog Entries

I bought this fragrance blind and while my blind purchases have been, by in large, quite successfull the purchase of Carlos Santana for Men was not. Try this before you buy is my advise.

Sur la Plage

I think this is one of the few very good "celebrity" scents - and a great bargain.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love this one, probably the only celebrity frag I enjoy. I don't subscribe to the 'age apropriate' view of fragrances, but it definitely does not smell like an 'old man' frag. It's light, citrusy, and slightly fruity. As was suggested, try to get a sample before buying a full bottle though.

Basenotes Plus

Nice - a rare and lucky blind buy. I normally won't go near celebrity scents with a 50 foot stick but this is seamlessly constructed. Not dissimilar to Armand Basi Homme. Ideal for summer evenings and proof positive that cheap does not necessarily mean cheap and nasty.

Ehh, it's just okay to me. I actually just swapped mine off. I am 25, turning 26 soon.. So I'm kind of in the same boat with you. Typically I go for the more mainstream fragrances, some of my favorites being Fahrenheit, Burberry London, John Varvatos and such.

Santana is definitley a celebrity scent that takes more of a gamble, and many think it pays off. What I get from it is an apple/cinnamon opening with pretty good projection. But I also get a lot of a powdery-ness as well as coconut. Not the inside of the coconut, but rather the outside shell. Is it gourmand? Nope. It's in the rare category of sweet and spicy. It possesses everything to make it fit right in the middle of sweet and spicy. I'd label it as an oriental or even exotic fragrance. It just doesn't work for me on my skin, the powdery notes make it seem too feminine for me. I can't see anybody flat out hating the stuff which is a good thing, but I can see it not working for many people. If you get it and dislike it, put it up for swap (once you meet the requirements for the swap board) and I'm sure somebody will swoop it right up.

One of the best and cheapest (blind) buys I did.
    $2 for a 1oz bottle.
    A nice fruity scent that I enjoy.
    Great scent!
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggy1 View Post
    One of the best and cheapest (blind) buys I did.
    $2 for a 1oz bottle.
    A nice fruity scent that I enjoy.
    Great scent!
    I didn't know they made this in a 1 oz..

Yeah man, I'd love to see that one ounce bottle. Look closely at the fine print. Maybe it's actually something like Carla Santiago.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Yeah man, I'd love to see that one ounce bottle. Look closely at the fine print. Maybe it's actually something like Carla Santiago.
    lol

Thanks for everybody's input so far...feel free to keep the responses coming

Okay, today is the first day I've sampled this one. My first impression is: take the first hour of the new Nicole Miller for Men and subdue it a bit. Then take Armani's Attitude for men and remove the coffee while toning down the strong lavender/patchouli accord a bit. Add a little spice. And there's Carlos Santana for men. It's nicely balanced and is at least "natural" enough not to be irritating, like so many recent designer frags. I avoid top notes so I won't speak to them at all. Well worth the pennies it's selling for now.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think this is one of the few very good "celebrity" scents - and a great bargain.
    I have to agree. This is the best celebrity fragrance I have yet smelled. I've received numerous compliments at work when I've worn Carlos Santana for Men. It is a very pleasant oriental, and a really good value!
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 25th June 2010 at 09:36 PM.

It is a very nice scent and it is not supper masculine. It is very similar to Rochas Man. The silage and longevity are very good. It is the only celebrity cologne in my collection and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Not sure why BradW and The Cologneist feel that they have to try and ridicule me about the 1oz Santana bottle...
    But see for yourself and look closely at the fine print at the bottom (pun intended)... : 1oz bottle for $2
    Right........
    You are welcome

IMG.jpg
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

at big lots no less, looks like i need to swing by my local store and see if they have any
    woot!

Not sure why BradW and The Cologneist feel that they have to try and ridicule me about the 1oz Santana bottle...
    But see for yourself and look closely at the fine print at the bottom (pun intended)... : 1oz bottle for $2
    Right........
    You are welcome

IMG.jpg
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Sorry I ever doubted you, man. I feel ashamed for questioning a fellow basenoter like that. I guess I better change my evil ways baby.

Right........
    You are welcome

IMG.jpg
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't ridiculing you, just asking. It must be a promo item that never made it shelves anywhere else. Go Big Lots!!