Code of Conduct

Question Serial Numbers On Chanel Fragrances

Hi guys,

I went today to a Chanel Boutique in New York City to ask if a later serial number indicates a later production of a given scent. They didn't know. So I called Chanel's 800 number. They didn't know either.

Anyone know?

I ask because I recently returned a bottle of Egoiste at Saks Fifth Avenue that I thought was old. The serial number was 2402. When I went across town to the Chanel boutique to check the serial number on their tester (they didn't have any Egoiste in stock ) the serial number was 7045! So I am thinking that the later serial number might mean a later production of this scent. The taster smelled better, projects better and lasts longer than the bottle that I returned.

Any help on this one, please?

Default Re: Serial Numbers On Chanel Fragrances

OK, I just found a website that can calculate the production date of your Chanel (and other Houses, too) fragrance.

Here it is - http://cosmeticswizard.net/

Turns out my Chanel Egoiste that I bought last week and returned today was made in December 2001.

From experience, that date code calculator is not very reliable. Just an FYI.

It has told me that vintage bottles of Chanel from the 80's and 90's are mare made in April 2001, or that a brand new bottle was made in December 2001, though I know it's an impossible age.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post

It has told me that vintage bottles of Chanel from the 80's and 90's are mare made in April 2001, or that a brand new bottle was made in December 2001, though I know it's an impossible age.
    Interesting. I guess it's better to contact Chanel direct to find out the production date of a fragrance. I understand one can do this by using the "contact us" button on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post

I just checked the calculator against a three numbers that were identified by Chanel themselves and the results were the exact same, so I assumed the calculator was going to be an accurate way to get the production date.

At any rate, I sent Chanel an email asking about the production date of that 2402 bottle and also asked if they would be willing to inform me how i can calculate the date of future bottles myself. That way I can check the production date before I buy a bottle.

I report back what they say, once they have responded.

By the way, I had some trouble finding the Contact Us button on their site. For those who need it, it can be found here - http://www.chanel.com/nav/html/direc...one_lang=USAEN
    Last edited by George P; 24th June 2010 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George P View Post
    I just checked the calculator against a three numbers that were identified by Chanel themselves and the results were the exact same, so I assumed the calculator was going to be an accurate way to get the production date.

At any rate, I sent Chanel an email asking about the production date of that 2402 bottle and also asked if they would be willing to inform me how i can calculate the date of future bottles myself. That way I can check the production date before I buy a bottle.

I report back what they say, once they have responded.

By the way, I had some trouble finding the Contact Us button on their site. For those who need it, it can be found here - http://www.chanel.com/nav/html/direc...one_lang=USAEN
    Ok, I heard back from them already. Turns out that bottle was made in 2009, so yeah that website calculator is bogus:

Dear George,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The EGOISTE fragrance which you purchased was manufactured in 2009. All
    CHANEL fragrances have a shelf life of three years during which they are
    still considered to be fresh. Unfortunately, as our batch code system is
    proprietary information we are unable to share this with our customers.
    You can be assured though that any merchandise you purchase from an
    authorized retailer will be within shelf life.

We are pleased to inform you that EGOISTE is not being discontinued at
    this time. Should you require additional information, please call (800)
    550-0005 to speak with a CHANEL Customer Service Representative. Thank
    you for your understanding and continued interest in CHANEL.