Code of Conduct

Default 29 year old woman looking for recommendations

Would you all be so kind as to recommend a few fragrances for me to try? I am looking for things I could wear everyday, but would certainly take seasonal/day/evening recommendations. I tend to get stuck on one fragrance and wear it for years on end with no variation. I'd like to add a bit of variety, maybe start a small collection? (yikes, what am I getting into?) Here are past scents I've worn:

Om from the GAP - I adored this fragrance and wore it from the age of 16-20, and then the GAP stopped making it - musky, warm, exotic, woody, with a sweet almost vanilla-y drydown on me... sigh. I should look for a bottle on ebay.

Contradiction, Calvin Klein - Not my favorite, but I was looking for something close to Om after I couldn't find it anymore. Again, sandalwood, vanilla, but kind of flat compared to Om. I never finished the bottle.

Beyond Paradise, Estee Lauder - This one I wore for 6 years (wow), after college. Tropical floral; I think it's very pretty.

Versace Signature - Got sick of Beyond Paradise and found this. Currently at the end of the bottle, have worn it for a year, another lovely floral.

Fragrances I have sampled and liked: Dior J'Adore smells wonderful on me (but I feel like a lot of women wear J'Adore... something more original?), Estee Lauder Pleasures (not special, just.... pleasant, beachy, clean), Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose (I do not ever go for citrus, so it surprises me how much I like this.)

A few things I have sampled and do not like: Fracas (it smells so good on other women but does not work on me at all), Kenzo Flower (this fragrance is non-existent on my skin - it smells like I waved a bottle of Love's Baby Soft in front of my wrist), most citrus scents

I hate the smell/taste of anise.

And I will admit that in middle school, I wore Exclamation.(!)

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Default Re: 29 year old woman looking for recommendations

If you like Fracas on other women but not on you, it might be worth trying a couple of other tuberose fragrances with different added notes. Parfumerie Generale Tubereuse Couture has a streak of green that makes the tuberose brighter and cleaner, and Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Tubereuse seems to have a little more sparkle. (I'm tentatively assuming that you may be reading Fracas as too "dirty", since tuberose tends that way.) I also love Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle, but many people perceive off notes in it, from mothballs to raw meat. To me, it has a gasoline note, in a good way.

Tubereuse Couture is one of the main three Beautiful Floral Fragrances in my collection, so I may as well recommend the other two: Serge Lutens Un Lys and Serge Lutens A La Nuit. There's also Parfums de Nicolai Number One. All falling-down-gorgeous non-tuberose florals.

Estee Lauder Jasmine White Moss is another very nice floral. And when I think of it, I think of Issey Miyake A Scent, because they're both greens that came out at a similar time.

In the incense realm, I love Serge Lutens Serge Noire.

And I'd recommend trying the entire Parfumerie Generale line.

I'll stop there, or I'll just end up listing every one of my favorites.

I would venture into the world of JPG. Somewhat common depending on what city you live in, but JPG Classique isn't bad. Classique X is very nice for the summer, though it might come across as old school (1800s).
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Plus Que Jamais by Guerlain is a tasteful & pretty floral. For evenings perhaps Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle?

And WELCOME to Basenotes!

If I were a woman of any age I'd wear Creed Silver Mountain Water. I'd also check out Odin Owari for a summer scent, a stong citrus is really appealing to me on a woman (I maybe a bit young, however).

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    If I were a woman of any age I'd wear Creed Silver Mountain Water.
    +1 So sexy on the ladies

Thank you all for the warm welcome and all of your recs so far; I am going to start sample shopping and will let you know how it goes.

Interesting about the Gaultier pick.... when I was in high school we did an exchange with a school in Paris, and the girl I stayed with in France wore a JPG fragrance. I remembered the bottle (of course) and the metallic cylindrical tin. She smelled wonderful, but I felt too immature to pull off the scent at the time.