Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Silver man

What do you think of this one? Casual or formal? Age? Sillage/longevity?

Default Re: Amouage Silver man

I have own this scent for some while now, and this is a fragrance for my taste! Rich, refined, luxurious, with excellent sillage and longevity. Brimful with lots of quality ingredients. When I wear a nice white shirt and tie + Amouage Silver, I always get that "elegant gentleman" feeling. This is a fragrance in the classic/conservative fragrance-family, and it`s perfect as a formal evening scent. I think It`s more spicy than the description point to, and IMO it`s the most underrated Amouage fragrance. It`s my second favorite, after Dia.

i am happy for u that u finally discovered it's magic
    it is the only masculine white flowers perfumes with elegance and richness that i know.

sorry to say, but this is my least favorite of all the men's Amouage fragrance....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I think it's an incredible fragrance. So crisp, sharp, elegant, and very masculine. If I were 50 years old Amouage Silver might be my most worn scent.

It has a cumin note, and that is the only part of it I don't like. But the cool, clean floral notes, and the fresh notes in it are wonderful. It is Ciel man's father, imo.

I think it'll work both for formal occasion and, being fresh, for casual ones. I must say I find silver somewhat uncomfortable. There's clearly one of these fresh metallic notes that dominate most other "sporty" stuff, so you expect it to fall into these chemical nightmares at any time. And yet, it never does, the natural flowery elements always manage to dominate. Still, for me it's like walking on the edge of a cliff, or, more appropriately, having a sharp silver sword hanging on one's head. For this reason, impressive.

But if anybody does like fresh metallic, this is by far the best one around.

cacio

Is a Fantastic and Nice fragrance ! I have this one ... the first times I wear was very nice apealing ,
    now I only like it if I wear only one spray ( one spray enough for 3 hours ) .
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Quote Originally Posted by 1234567890 View Post
    Is a Fantastic and Nice fragrance ! I have this one ... the first times I wear was very nice apealing ,
    now I only like it if I wear only one spray ( one spray enough for 3 hours ) .
    Yes, I think the trick with this one is to go easy on the trigger. The beauty comes in the dry-down.

Silver is easily the most flexible Amouage scent. Its probably my favorite to wear, because its suitable for just about any occasion. Top notch fragrance...Hopefully it stays underrated

Wasn't impressed with this at all.

"cumin"? "not impressed"? - oh I think you guys need to try it again...

exotic in the opening with a heavenly comforting drydown ...one thing I feel very confident saying about it is that there's nothing else remotely similar.

where Amouage gets the "sporty" designation i don't know.

Silver Cologne outclasses 98.6% of what's out there! especially if you value originality and a spectacularly seductive drydown

I can sympathize with the person who groups it with dia as the top 2 amouage

Love the scent, but it's so strong. You have to really go easy on application honestly.

I have to admit it, this has been a real grower for me. I dismissed it early on... not as mediocre in quality, but for the class of fragrance it represents. I did a full range test of Amouage (including attars and a few in the women's line that were getting some attention as masculines), and Silver simply lacked the opulence found elsewhere in the line (and expected at this price point). So once again - not an issue of quality, just one of categorization.

However, I actually really like it now, having developed more of an appreciation for it as a less ballistic version of gold, which I could never want to wear (yes, the floral and powdery qualities of Silver shine over the fresh qualities - and the dry-down, as mentioned above, is heavenly).

With that said, I don't particularly have the same taste as others who like it. Just to gauge my interests, my top amouage non-attars are Memoir, Jubilation, and Epic (Moth man and woman). I find Dia absolutely boring (preferring any Tauer, or the tribute attar, perhaps a Lutens for my fix of dry smoking woods), and equate Reflection to Vicks Vaporub.

Amouage seems to want to promote DIA as the "day wear" for the client who would dare their GOLD for more formal occasions. Strange, as I tend to think of SILVER as the less formal sibling of GOLD, though agreeing that it would be as comfortable in formal attire as in jeans.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 28th April 2011 at 07:11 PM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicolδi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Definitely man. I rock Silver with jeans and a tee at least once a week. Gold is too over-the-top for daily use, but it would be perfect for a special occasion. I've found Opus 3 to be the perfect substitute for Gold

Basenotes Member

I am an American living and working in Oman, and I have been following Amouage since it was a tiny little enterprise run out of what appeared to be someone's garage. Lyric is and has been a revelation to me, and I find Memoir quite amazing as well.

That being said, I find Silver very strange, and I almost regretting buying it now (why I bought a bottle when I could merely have taken 5 or 6 samples to try is anyone's guess ). I used it yesterday, spraying it three times on my chest...nowhere else. Though I had tried it on my wrist in the boutique before buying, and found it alluring, this time the smell was overpowering and almost soapy (I'm new to this, so forgive me if I use words that are rather generic).

After reading this thread, I realize I should have only used one spray at most, but I still find the florals to overshadow everything else. The smell is like powder and soap mixed together with an explosion of frankincense, and I detected none of the bergamot, orange blossom or mandarin.

Am I doing something wrong, or is Silver simply over-the-top and a fragrance one must use with great care and sparingly?

Thanks,
    David

There's a lot of heliotrope in Silver Man and it gives the scent a soapy/powdery clean feeling. Underneath it all is a nice bright frankincense, but I too wish they would have dialed back the florals just a tad.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by daoud62 View Post
    Am I doing something wrong, or is Silver simply over-the-top and a fragrance one must use with great care and sparingly?
    It is one of the most unusual in the Amouage line-up, and seldom discussed. My take on it is that you just have to spend some time getting well acquainted and then you'll know which days and how much and it will work like no other. I wish there was a simple or scientific answer but I think it comes down to that. It's odd, because it's not a bombshell like a lot of Amouages, with a very distinct, predictable personality, where you sort of 'know' whether to reach for one or not. Silver isn't so obvious, and hence takes more time to understand. It's a bit of an enigma.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    There's a lot of heliotrope in Silver Man and it gives the scent a soapy/powdery clean feeling. Underneath it all is a nice bright frankincense, but I too wish they would have dialed back the florals just a tad.
    I'm going to take a day off (I'll use Amouage Memoir), and then I'll apply one spray to my chest and try that.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    It is one of the most unusual in the Amouage line-up, and seldom discussed. My take on it is that you just have to spend some time getting well acquainted and then you'll know which days and how much and it will work like no other. I wish there was a simple or scientific answer but I think it comes down to that. It's odd, because it's not a bombshell like a lot of Amouages, with a very distinct, predictable personality, where you sort of 'know' whether to reach for one or not. Silver isn't so obvious, and hence takes more time to understand. It's a bit of an enigma.
    I can even appreciate Gold (which I still have in the old lead crystal khanjar-shaped bottle from 6 years back) more. I think my problem is I used too much. I need to dial it back. That being said, the list of ingredients looks like it should produce something amazing, but frankly, I can detect no rose or orange beyond the heliotrope soapy scent. I was even thinking I was using the wrong soap to take a shower, but this has never happened to me before with a perfume. I use Lyric, Memoir, Honour, Reflection in the Amouage line, and absolutely adore The Different Company's Rose Poivree (the old one, before it was allegedly toned down).

Not to my taste unfortunately, finding it harsh, very loud and far too floral.

Basenotes Member

In addition, I detect no spice at all in this.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by humptydumpty View Post
    Not to my taste unfortunately, finding it harsh, very loud and far too floral.
    That's my initial review as well. I need to try it again, though...after all, I have a whole bottle to go through (unless I give it to someone for Christmas!!!!).

delete, double post connection glitch

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

nailed it....i love silver. At first I found it to be very "perfume-y"...I get something different every time I wear

Quote Originally Posted by john916 View Post
    nailed it....i love silver. At first I found it to be very "perfume-y"...I get something different every time I wear
    Same here, I dont want to discuss it too much either. I cannot describe how much I like the scent. Its so polished, luxurious and, in street terms, baller!

Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    I have to admit it, this has been a real grower for me. I dismissed it early on... not as mediocre in quality, but for the class of fragrance it represents. I did a full range test of Amouage (including attars and a few in the women's line that were getting some attention as masculines), and Silver simply lacked the opulence found elsewhere in the line (and expected at this price point). So once again - not an issue of quality, just one of categorization.

However, I actually really like it now, having developed more of an appreciation for it as a less ballistic version of gold, which I could never want to wear (yes, the floral and powdery qualities of Silver shine over the fresh qualities - and the dry-down, as mentioned above, is heavenly).

With that said, I don't particularly have the same taste as others who like it. Just to gauge my interests, my top amouage non-attars are Memoir, Jubilation, and Epic (Moth man and woman). I find Dia absolutely boring (preferring any Tauer, or the tribute attar, perhaps a Lutens for my fix of dry smoking woods), and equate Reflection to Vicks Vaporub.

Amouage seems to want to promote DIA as the "day wear" for the client who would dare their GOLD for more formal occasions. Strange, as I tend to think of SILVER as the less formal sibling of GOLD, though agreeing that it would be as comfortable in formal attire as in jeans.
    Y'know, this almost perfectly describes my experience with the scent. I originally overlooked it for the more bombastic Reflection but now have fallen out of love w/ Reflection and its ostentatious ways, and have really really fallen for Silver and its quiter extreme poise and refinement.

I also have to retract my earlier statement in the thread that there's too much heliotrope here. I think that's what really makes the scent unique. I think I might have had some anosmia issues with the frankincense and other sour notes that balance the heliotrope, because now I find the balance absolutely phenomenal. I find this far more unique and interesting than the much more highly lauded Dia.

In opposition to many others, I get huge longevity and projection from Silver. 2 sprays in the morning, and still clearly noticeable in the evening. A very refined scent from Amouage that deserves more attention.

The first few times I tested this one I dismissed it. I've sampled Silver a few more times this week and it's going onto my buy list. For some reason after sampling everything I could get my hands on from this house the ones I loved are the little discussed here on basenotes. Gold, Silver, and Dia are all fantastic while the rest including the Library Collection don't work for me.

I have revisited Silver a few times since my original assessment, and my opinion has changed a bit. I don't know if my nose has become accustomed, but I don't perceive a strong metallic impression anymore. There is still some metal, but well balanced. Excellent longevity. And still clearly the richness and complexity of old style Amouage Becoming one of my favorites.

I also had the chance to test the original vintage. Which is even richer, more complex, less metallic. But the differences are small - so for once something that's close to the original. (That said, the new one I tested is pre 2010 - as with many Amouages, this is no guarantee that the perfume is still the same in 2013)

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I have revisited Silver a few times since my original assessment, and my opinion has changed a bit. I don't know if my nose has become accustomed, but I don't perceive a strong metallic impression anymore. There is still some metal, but well balanced. Excellent longevity. And still clearly the richness and complexity of old style Amouage Becoming one of my favorites.

I also had the chance to test the original vintage. Which is even richer, more complex, less metallic. But the differences are small - so for once something that's close to the original. (That said, the new one I tested is pre 2010 - as with many Amouages, this is no guarantee that the perfume is still the same in 2013)

cacio
    I didn't know Amouage had the habit for reformulations..

The old classics (Gold woman and Ubar, in much smaller part Gold man and Silver) are slightly different in their pre-2000 formulation, but the new ones were close. Then around 2010 it seems some Amouages (for women, I haven't heard reports for men) underwent more structural reformulations.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    In opposition to many others, I get huge longevity and projection from Silver. 2 sprays in the morning, and still clearly noticeable in the evening. A very refined scent from Amouage that deserves more attention.
    <<<--- Agree, Jub XXV & others from this house always get more mention, however, Silver is very good too.