Code of Conduct

Default Who fancies playing a synchronised sniff and speak wardrobe game tomorrow?

Who has any of these, and would like to play synchronising wardrobe wearing just for fun? I'm playing this with Synergie and just thought it might be even more fun with others too. Here is a suggestion list to start off with.

Chanel - Cuir de Russie
    Lanvin - Eau Arpege
    Serge Lutens - Fleurs d'oranger, Serge Noire
    Miller Harris - L'air de Rien
    Ormonde Jayne - Isfarkand
    Les Nez - Let me play the lion
    The different company - Vetiver, Bergamot
    Comme des Garcons - Series 3, Incense Zagorsk, Avignon, Jaisalmer
    Givenchy - Le De, Pour Homme blue,
    Rochas - Audace, Madame Rochas, Mystere
    Houbigant - Ambergris
    Alyssa Ashley - Musk

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Who fancies playing a synchronised sniff and speak wardrobe game tomorrow?

I'm game ... but I only have Madame Rochas,
    both vintage parfum and EdC, and I have a
    sample of modern Cuir de Russie.

Default Re: Who fancies playing a synchronised sniff and speak wardrobe game tomorrow?

I can join you in Cuir de russie tomorrow.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Cuir de Russie is the only one I have, too.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Ok....that stops any confusion... roll your sleeves up tomorrow morning and Cuir de Russie it is. New or old.

I have Cuir de Russie...think I already wrote a review, but I'd love to synchronize as I am really feeling leathery lately

Okay, tomorrow is a CdR day for me then.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Cool, this is fun.

Maybe we could make all fridays synchronised?!
    It could be a new tradition ...

Blog Entries

Don't have any of these, but have some synchronization is a great idea!

I have a sample of Cuir de Russie, too, and have been waiting for an occasion to use what's remaining, so perfect!

Cuir de Russie it is!

As if I needed an excuse to wear CdR Count me WAY IN !!!
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Basenotes Plus

I'll be synchronized in CdR, too!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I put on my CdR on wrists and hands and arms. I have to say I didn't have the guts to put it on the bod too. I felt like I had been a bad girl all night and someone may find me out!!!! It's not exactly the stuff for the polite school run.

To me, his perfume is a very naughty, skanky, bad girl, dressing up and pretending to be some posh tottie. She doesn't initially carry it off, but then quickly wins over and settles down to being moderately well behaved...... so far.....

What a mad thing that 11/12 of us around the world all know what we smell of. We have the US (Wisconsin, Los Angeles, Pacific Northwest, State Island, California, N.Boston), Sweden (Amsterdam), Denmark (Copenhagen), Norway (Transoe), UK (Oxford), Canada (Victoria BC) and maybe Netherlands. I love this site. Thank you Grant.

Tott is a Swede living in Amsterdam., that would be the Netherlands.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    What a mad thing that 11/12 of us around the world all know what we smell of. We have the US (Wisconsin, Los Angeles, Pacific Northwest, State Island, California, N.Boston), Sweden (Amsterdam), Denmark (Copenhagen), Norway (Transoe), UK (Oxford), Canada (Victoria BC) and maybe Netherlands. I love this site. Thank you Grant.
    It is mind-blowing to try to fathom how we're connecting. (Brain now going to a place that words can't transcribe.)

Just posted in sotd:
    Wearing some of the last of some vintage Cuir de Russie. Yes, elegant and only mildly leathery (no horsing whinnying in the background a la the mention of Frau Blucker). Considering how I have virtually no history of knowing perfumes, I still immediately peg this as belonging to an upper-class setting from the 1960s. Representative of Chanel's restraint, it doesn't jump all over the olfactory map, which gives it an air of serenity.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

It's a hot humid day here in Boston, but I'm wearing CdR (EDT, new Exclusifs) none-the-less. I couldn't resist wearing this for scent synchronisation Friday. I first tried this fragrance late last August, and found it harsh and unappealing. I gave it a few more tries and the same reaction ensued, so I put it away to try again in the cold weather. In December, I dabbed a drop of it on my skin and was overtaken with it's beauty. The leather, the dark, brooding rose, horse and stable, creamy sensual florals. Amazing.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Joining you here. It's hot and humid here as well, so I put it on very lightly.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I'm wearing edt boosted with a spray of extrait. It has a natural feel and is gloriously animalic, like a fine leather saddle soaked with horse sweat, but there's also an elegant and refined politesse to it.

My office is located in a suburb, and there was something in the late winter/early spring air that smelled like CdR. Something vaguely stable-like with a sense of damp earth and dormant plant life.

CdR.jpg
    Last edited by tott; 25th June 2010 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I'm wearing edt boosted with a spray of extrait. It has a natural feel and is gloriously animalic, like a fine leather saddle soaked with horse sweat, but there's also an elegant and refined politesse to it.

My office is located in a suburb, and there was something in the late winter/early spring air that smelled like CdR. Something vaguely stable-like with a sense of damp earth and dormant plant life.

CdR.jpg
    Tott - I love your description of CdR...all of the natural references...horse sweat (which is actually a beautiful smell especially when mixed with the smell of the saddle....mmmmmm) damp earth (another of my favorite scents) and the dormant vegetation. I couldn"t agree with you more. And with all of that earthiness, the fact that this scent is still elegant and refined...must be the Chanel roses and iris.

It's my turn and I pick: ACQUA DI GIO, come on, let's synchronize... what ?! No-one wants to play with me ?

I'll take my toys and move back to the Male Fragrance Discussion forum.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by pomander View Post
    Tott - I love your description of CdR...all of the natural references...horse sweat (which is actually a beautiful smell especially when mixed with the smell of the saddle....mmmmmm) damp earth (another of my favorite scents) and the dormant vegetation. I couldn"t agree with you more. And with all of that earthiness, the fact that this scent is still elegant and refined...must be the Chanel roses and iris.
    Thanks pomander! It is something of a mystery to me how something so skanky can still be so civilized... You're probably right about the flowers!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I agree with Pomander: wonderful description, Tott. I especially appreciate your dormant vegetation reference, which is a scent we often are unaware of in our surroundings.

Oh, you're a funny boy, trapper.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Thanks pomander! It is something of a mystery to me how something so skanky can still be so civilized... You're probably right about the flowers!
    I think Dzing! and Bal a Versailles are examples of uncivilized horse&stable-floral skanky. Their great in their own sphere, but don't have the elegance of CdR. Long live this perfume genre!

Edit, a few hours later: I believe I was wrong about Dzing!...dug out my sample this morning and gave it a good wearing for the first time: Yes, there is leather (Rejoice!!!) and some initial barnyard skank (not a bad thing), but the leather soon predominates and the saffron, vanilla and other notes tame the fragrance to a beautiful (dare I say elegant?) leather scent that is light enough to wear in the summer heat (CdR is not, to me).

What a find is Dzing! Thank you Mumsy and Tott for inspiring me to discover it. I guess this is what Basenotes is all about.
    Last edited by pomander; 26th June 2010 at 09:30 PM.

A little late to the party here, but yesterday, I gave a full wearing to the modern EdT!

Very nice, all in all, though quite different from what I remember it smelling like. I smelled a cool, transparent, lightly green soft floral with a pleasant leathery undertone.

I wore mine all day and I have to say, although I loved the smell of it for myself. I didn't feel entirely comfortable with CdR as a day perfume on me. I felt almost undressed. My skin bought out the more animalic side and squashed any flowers. I felt it would be more suited for a little black dress and being taken out for a romantic dinner date.

I do have a mini of Acqua di Gio somewhere I think, so if I find it, I can play.... when?

The night before, I took out my decanted vial of CdR (I usually decant splash perfumes for my daily use), and was all set to wear this precious fragrance. Then, surprise of surprises (not), I totally forgot the next day. I wore the new PdN Violette in Love which is a green violet and iris floral. Thankfully, ViL's iris and violet drydown was the perfect backdrop for an evening wearing of Cuir de Russie parfum (modern formulation). The ViL provided a soft cushion and extra iris boost to the aldehydes, subtle florals and iris in CdR. The next morning, a powdery glow was still emanating from my wrists...