Code of Conduct

Default Frederic Malle article in American Airlines in-flight magazine

I'm just back from a week in NYC. The best fragrance-related parts of that trip were visits to Aedes (where I picked up Nuit de Tubereuse and Monocle Scent 2/Laurel) and Henri Bendel (picked up Fat Electrician and glimpsed Tilda Swinton, who was there to promote Like This), but I also enjoyed this somewhat substantial story on Frederic Malle in American Way magazine. The full text is available online at

http://www.americanwaymag.com/frédér...istian-lacroix

I thought some folks here might find it interesting.

Personally I feel the author overstates Malle's role in the invention of niche perfumery. I suppose it's true that he brought a new level of recognition to the perfumers themselves. Still, I cringed a bit, reading "Of course, this kind of success breeds copycats, whether it’s the indie bespoke brands like By Kilian and Le Labo or simply more tailored selections from upscale fashion brands such as Tom Ford," in an article that never hints at Malle's own debt to precursors like L'Artisan and Lutens.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Default Re: Frederic Malle article in American Airlines in-flight magazine

Thx. That was a great article that I really enjoyed reading.

I think the reporter did a good job though, and obviously did his homework. Although L'Artisan and Lutens might have been important players in terms of launching the popularity of niche perfumery, Malle celebrated the work of the perfumers, while giving them the spotlight, and released fragrances that weren't necessarily marketed towards individuals - they were more like pieces of art that the perfumers were passionate about.

I still think the line is genius. I remember when I first smelled Carnal Flower, and thought it was "perfumey." How my tastes have changed!

Good article .... I wonder whats next to come from Les Editions ???????

Thanks for the link, it is a good article! I like the way the perfumers portraits are centre stage, too.

Looking forward to seeing what he and Dominique Ropion come up with next. One of the three scents they developed for the candle range is called Santal Cardamome, which might be interesting extended into a perfume if he can get his hands on some real Mysore Santalwood. (the other two are 1er Mai & Un Gardenia, la nuit.)

Malle also mentioned he was working with Carlos Benaim, another contributor to the candle line - the Saint de Saints mentioned in the article is apparently drawn from headspace work by Braja Mookherjee analyzing the ambient scent of several Indian temples. Pure wishful thinking but if something in this style were to appear in the Malle line I'd be there reaching into that fridge like a shot
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 25th June 2010 at 01:26 AM.

Thanks for this nice article! I do look forward to the two (?) fragrances that are possibly to be launched still in 2010 (?).