Code of Conduct

Cool Need help! Rainy summer days with heavy thunder & lightning but is the perfect relaxing cozy feeling

You guys know what i'm talking about? Before I get to what I want to say let me just say I am not new I've been a member for 4 years now on Basenotes I've just been lurking around learning about different fragrances and I found myself fascinated how much there is to know about colognes!

Here's where I need basenotes help... first this video below is the closest I can find of the kind of weather I am referring to but in my case I have a slightly differently vision and am hoping to find the perfect fragrance to match the mood. I grew up in South America where it use to be pouring rain and it was very exotic there we had beautiful trees all over such as banana, mangos, papaya, watermelon, tangerine, lemon, kane, cherries. I get flashback memories of how cozy those days were where I use to cover under the sheets and listen to the raindrops and watch the bright lightning bolts flash at my windows while hearing those loud roars of thunder. All the leaves on the exotic trees were always ripe green and I could remember on the banana tree leaves it was so moist and pretty with the rain drops running down. The smell was so refreshing as i remember it now. The smell of the wet dirt, the wet woods, how fresh the plants smell soaked, the wet bricks, the fruits, it would always flood about 1-2 feet and was always grey/dark and cloudy and the flooded concrete smelled like sea water as I made paper boats haha. We even had wild exotic parrots and birds that you see in the trees shivering.

If that isn't too detailed imagine the planet in Avatar 2010 how exotic it was and beautiful with all the colorful surroundings but on wet pouring rainy days....

here is a video of something close... well... not as exotic as a third world country but it works.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQn2VN2NTso

I am looking for a fragrance that would represent this mood.. maybe something citrus with watermelon and woody with some darkness to it but pleasant at the same time? I happened to moved from NYC to the south where it rains like hell here in the summer like crazy. Please help me basenotes I know thre are many of you here who love these days where you just want to relax in your room or just cuddle with your girl (chumps haha). All i'm saying is that a nice scent for this rare occasion would really enhance my relaxation.

sorry if this was too long. hah
    Last edited by KalRedKrypto; 25th June 2010 at 06:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help! Rainy summer days with heavy thunder & lightning but is the perfect relaxing cozy fee

You're pretty much describing Millesime Imperial

As far as the rain, we're envious
    Last edited by adonis; 25th June 2010 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help! Rainy summer days with heavy thunder & lightning but is the perfect relaxing cozy fee

Another Creed scent which might fit this situation comes to my mind comes: Creed Royal water-subtle, cuddly, light, smooth unisex frag with exotic and summery, slightly aquatic fruity-floral notes

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see, you want a citrusy, bright fragrance, you want it to be comforting and exotic at the same time
    Uomo? Moschino (great vanilla dry-down, it's a little bit woody and a little bit dark)
    Ralph Lauren - Safari (exotic, citrusy, woody, comforting but very mature, be sure to try it before buying it)
    Love by By Kilian (describes what you want perfectly)

In the weather you've described I feel very comforting wearing: Burberry London, Terre D'Hermes, Zino Davidoff, Green Irish Tweed, Royal Delight, Eau Suave (parfum d'empire), Hypnotic Poison, Opium Pour Homme, Body Kouros, Boss Bottled 6, etc.

Good luck finding what you're looking for
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Post Thanks / Like

Underworld by Soivohle (liz zorn)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KalRedKrypto View Post
    All the leaves on the exotic trees were always ripe green and I could remember on the banana tree leaves it was so moist and pretty with the rain drops running down. The smell was so refreshing as i remember it now. The smell of the wet dirt, the wet woods, how fresh the plants smell soaked, the wet bricks, the fruits, it would always flood about 1-2 feet and was always grey/dark and cloudy and the flooded concrete smelled like sea water as I made paper boats haha.
    This makes me think of Diptyque Philosykos.

I am looking for a fragrance that would represent this mood.. maybe something citrus with watermelon and woody with some darkness to it but pleasant at the same time?
    And this makes me think of Diorella.

AND let me just add that your whole story sounds like something Hermes would say about their Jardin Apres la Mousson, but I cannot vouch for that scent, as I have never smelled it.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 25th June 2010 at 03:41 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Oudh Wood by Tom Ford smells VERY much like an idealized forest after the rain. Woody & comforting on rainy days.

Original Vetiver, Creed is another that has the properties of green, a comforting sandalwood dry down, retains its composition and blends well with natural smells on rainy days.

Millesime Imperial, Creed has a distinct melon (watermelon) note, however I've found that it disappears UNLESS you apply some of it to clothing.

On a personal note, I've had a hot lady cuddle with me just to be around the atmosphere of Original Vetiver. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Sensual; 25th June 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Casual Men by s.Oliver. Accompany this with about three fingers of Maker's Mark a little ice, and I think you should be all set.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

thx guys for your suggestions! After reading your replies I decided to try the following samples

Original Vetiver, Creed
    imperial
    royal water
    Ralph Lauren - Safari
    Love by By Kilian
    Burberry London
    Terre D'Hermes
    Diptyque Philosykos
    Oudh Wood by Tom Ford

I am willing to spend the money for 2ml samples hopefully I can find a source to order them. Until then what how would you guys narrow this list down if you were to pick 3? Would you nominate any other?

Post Thanks / Like

Bois D'Orage/French Lover by Editions De Parfums Frederic Malle

expensive but it does remind you of a forest after the rain - very green/woody/alive

I'd buy Original Vetiver, Creed, MI (Creed), and Oud Wood (TF). But I'm biased since I'm only familiar with 5 on the list.

I think the quality & design of the two Creeds will make them classics. As a caveat, the Original Vetiver can take on a "barber shop" vibe.

You may also find New Haarlem (Bond No.9) to have "proven" comfort notes of vanilla and coffee. Definitely a chick cuddler as well. A real masterpiece. I didn't include it as it may not blend with the rain, green, nature theme.

Sampling is smart.

Post Thanks / Like

I am willing to spend the money for 2ml samples hopefully I can find a source to order them. Until then what how would you guys narrow this list down if you were to pick 3? Would you nominate any other?
    No need to narrow it down...go to theperfumedcourt. They'll have everything you seek and much much more.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."