Code of Conduct

Default Why is summer more smelly?

Does the hot air make the molecules travel further?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is summer more smelly?

Probably the higher humidity usually found in summer conditions but that is an unscientific guess on my part. Check out the following abstract (underlines and bold added by me):

Michael Kuehn1, Heiko Welsch1, Thomas Zahnert2 and Thomas Hummel3

(1) Division Aviation Physiology, German Air Force Institute of Aviation Medicine, Königsbrück, Germany
    (2) Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Dresden Medical School, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
    (3) Smell and Taste Clinic, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Dresden Medical School, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany

Received: 31 January 2007 Accepted: 5 September 2007 Published online: 25 September 2007

Abstract The present study aimed at investigating the question whether olfactory function changes in relation to barometric pressure and humidity. Using climate chambers, odor threshold and discrimination for butanol were tested in 75 healthy volunteers under hypobaric and hyperbaric, and different humidity conditions. Among other effects, olfactory sensitivity at threshold level, but not suprathreshold odor discrimination, was impaired in a hypobaric compared to a hyperbaric milieu, and thresholds were lower in humid, compared to relatively dry conditions. In conclusion, environmental conditions modulate the sense of smell, and may, consecutively, influence results from olfactory tests.
    Last edited by kbe; 26th June 2010 at 03:46 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Smelly in a good or bad sense? Like "a bag of rubbish left outside in the heat" smelly, or "people wearing lots of fragrance which is relatively-nice smelly"?

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Smelly in a good or bad sense? Like "a bag of rubbish left outside in the heat" smelly, or "people wearing lots of fragrance which is relatively-nice smelly"?
    In the neutral sense, perfume and anti-perfume

-------------
    hypobaric (hp-brk)
    Relating to conditions of low air pressure and low oxygen content, such as atmospheric conditions at high altitudes, or in special chambers used to establish low-pressure conditions.

I don't understand that abstract. Is it saying low pressure affects your smelling sensitivity? Low pressure is associated with summer and so summer makes you smell less? Seems to me to be the opposite. But 75 people in a scientific experiment? That doesn't seem standard.

If you are referring to people then it's because the heat stimulates the fragrance to evaporate quicker and the projection of that particular cologne will grow.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.