Code of Conduct

Arrow How do you test multiple scents simultaneously (scents that share the same note composition)?

For instance, if I have narrowed down a selection of multiple Vetiver based fragrances and would like to compare them by spraying them on my skin; where do I spray more than 7 scent tests with enough space to be able to assess each and everyone individually without conflict ?

Please note that I do not want to use paper test strips as I am trying to evaluate each fragrance in terms of longevity, sillage, and skin chemistry affinity on a comparative basis.

I would like to select 2 of the 7 or 8 options I have based on the above criteria.

I don't want to test them in batches as environmental conditions can change from one day to the other. I would like to find a way to test all 8 scents in the same day in order to have an actual 'side by side' comparison .

Thanks in advance for your help .
    Last edited by scku; 25th June 2010 at 07:48 PM.

Default Re: How do you test multiple scents simultaneously (scents that share the same note composition)?

as far as i know its best to do it in batches of 4 at a time. inside each elbow and each wrist.

Default Re: How do you test multiple scents simultaneously (scents that share the same note composition)?

Based on trying out scent in shops, I'd say you might be able to do... back of hand 1 scent each... wrist, 1 scent each, outside top of forearm 1 scent each, and inside elbow 1 scent each, to compare all eight. (just be sure to apply closely enough to the skin that you don't get "overspray overlap"... you should be able to discern the differences that way.) The trick is going to be getting all eight sprayed quickly enough to get the topnotes from all eight. (but the middle and base are the most important so...) the voice of experience...

The thing you won't be able to test with this is sillage... as all eight are going to be competing & it will be hard to tell which scent is doing what. Ideally, you'd test 'em two at a time, one on each arm, not all eight at once.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

start with papers and mark em. i generally do avoid spraying on paper as it smells different than on skin...so if you want skin testing just do one to each wrist, then on top the wrists, near your inner elbows and for the seventh? middle of the top of your arm can do just fine

Katie Puckric Smells just did a review of the sunshine cuties (6) and marked her hands & arms to help differentiate the scents.

Thumbs up Re: How do you test multiple scents simultaneously (scents that share the same note composition)?

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Based on trying out scent in shops, I'd say you might be able to do... back of hand 1 scent each... wrist, 1 scent each, outside top of forearm 1 scent each, and inside elbow 1 scent each, to compare all eight. (just be sure to apply closely enough to the skin that you don't get "overspray overlap"... you should be able to discern the differences that way.) The trick is going to be getting all eight sprayed quickly enough to get the topnotes from all eight. (but the middle and base are the most important so...) the voice of experience...

The thing you won't be able to test with this is sillage... as all eight are going to be competing & it will be hard to tell which scent is doing what. Ideally, you'd test 'em two at a time, one on each arm, not all eight at once.

Actiasluna, you are correct. It will be almost impossible to evaluate sillage. Good point

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread.