Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: New London Amouage Store

It does look very ecclectic as opposed to the suggested crack house chic . Im sure I will pop in before too long

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Also, from the sounds of it, Opus III may share some similarities with Reflection Man. What do you think?
    Just tested Reflection Man and I, personally, find them very different.

Reflection Man has an appealing sandalwood drydown but it ultimately smells like expensive 'alpine fresh' laundry detergent with a hint of sandalwood. Opus III, on the other hand, is primarily about violets with a fuller and richer olfactory delivery - this is no fresh scent! In addition, the sandalwood isn't as prominent in Opus III as it is in Reflection Man.

Reflection Man smells like a high quality designer scent, while Opus III smells undoubtedly niche...
    Last edited by Trebor; 1st July 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks for the comparison Trebor.

I generally agree that Reflection Man smells like a high quality designer scent - there's just some really interesting iris/jasmine/patchouli/sandalwood camphory thing going on during the drydown that I absolutely LOVE. It smells a tad bit medicinal and woody and sweet and remains enigmatic to my nose, despite having smelled it countless times I can't unravel what it is that I am smelling and that keeps me coming back for more. I think that with a few more wearings you'd see more of the subtleties woven into the scent and it would register as a bit more than alpine fresh laundry detergent. I know at first the scent seemed ultra-linear to me, and I think that was because a certain rarely used aromachemical is present in a high dose and it took my nose a while to 'smell around' that chemical and register the rest of the scent. Luckily, I loved the scent when it seemed wholly linear and love it even more now that I can smell the rest of the scent. I'm curious, what was the longevity of Reflection Man for you?

Anyhow, thanks again for the comparison. The fact that they aren't very similar actually has me far more interested in Opus III. I don't have any niche violet oriented scents as of now.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I generally agree that Reflection Man smells like a high quality designer scent - there's just some really interesting iris/jasmine/patchouli/sandalwood camphory thing going on during the drydown that I absolutely LOVE. It smells a tad bit medicinal and woody and sweet and remains enigmatic to my nose, despite having smelled it countless times I can't unravel what it is that I am smelling and that keeps me coming back for more. I think that with a few more wearings you'd see more of the subtleties woven into the scent and it would register as a bit more than alpine fresh laundry detergent.
    I think you're right there - there is something about the drydown that's intriguing, and it certainly does have the potential to reveal other facets that are 'overwhelmed' by the chemical freshness. Compared to other fresh / aquatic scents, this is one of the better creations by far - it's just a pity it didn't rise further above this olfactory classification.

As for longevity, it's pretty good on me (at least 8 hours) but its sillage dies down considerably after the first 2-3 hours. However, there is something sensual about the sandalwood drydown that redeems the overall composition. Personally, I can't see myself owning a bottle but most certainly a decant (just to get better acquainted with it). It's definitely worth a 'neutral' rating, though.
    Last edited by Trebor; 2nd July 2010 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks for the comparison Trebor.

I generally agree that Reflection Man smells like a high quality designer scent - there's just some really interesting iris/jasmine/patchouli/sandalwood camphory thing going on during the drydown that I absolutely LOVE. It smells a tad bit medicinal and woody and sweet and remains enigmatic to my nose, despite having smelled it countless times I can't unravel what it is that I am smelling and that keeps me coming back for more. I think that with a few more wearings you'd see more of the subtleties woven into the scent and it would register as a bit more than alpine fresh laundry detergent. I know at first the scent seemed ultra-linear to me, and I think that was because a certain rarely used aromachemical is present in a high dose and it took my nose a while to 'smell around' that chemical and register the rest of the scent. Luckily, I loved the scent when it seemed wholly linear and love it even more now that I can smell the rest of the scent. I'm curious, what was the longevity of Reflection Man for you?

Anyhow, thanks again for the comparison. The fact that they aren't very similar actually has me far more interested in Opus III. I don't have any niche violet oriented scents as of now.
    I`m a big fan of most of the scents from Amouage, but I have mixed feelings when it comes to Reflection. Sometimes when I smell it, I think it`s very unique and pleasent, but other times it almost make me sick! It gives me a Fleur du Male/Joop vibe, and I think girls will love it! This scent will do very well for the younger Amouage public.

On a more general note, when a London enterprise ships a fragrance out of the E. U., do they automatically "discount" the fragrance with the VAT amount out-of-EU customers are not supposed to pay? Thanks.