Code of Conduct

Default Cool Water was my previous signature scent would Creed Green Irish Tween be an upgrade?

I've worn Cool Water since I was 17-23 then after that I just started to wear whatever I felt like but now I decided to upgrade my signature scent from back in the day! I use to wear Cool Water which i love by the way and was basically my everyday cologne and I chose it because of those Maxim Magazine samples that you sniff on the folded page hehe. I've always read on basenotes that CW is similar to Green Irish Tweed but there was SERIOUS DEBATES about this here lol but that's not the point but my question for someone like me who loves cool water as a signature and is looking for a new UPGRADE similar scent to CW would Green Irish Tweed be it?

Now i don't want to buy a new cologne and say "wait it smells EXACTLY the same" I prefer something like "wow smells just like cool water but there's just something different about it..." Know what I mean? I want the upgrade to be noticeable. Thx!

Default Re: Cool Water was my previous signature scent would Creed Green Irish Tween be an upgrade?

I think GIT would be an upgrade...

Default Re: Cool Water was my previous signature scent would Creed Green Irish Tween be an upgrade?

Depends on what you call an upgrade. According to a blind test conducted by one of our members here, the women surveyed preferred Cool Water to GIT unanimously. So, you're paying a lot more for a frag that women don't like as much.

Cool Water is a great cologne. No need to upgrade.

Do you like it more? If you do it is, if not, it's not. Cost, reputation, who else likes it, all this doesn't matter if you don't like it more than the other scent.

Cool Water to GIT isn't so much an upgrade as a side step...GIT's quality is apparent, but no way worth the price in my opinion.

It will only be an upgrade if it makes you happier. Give it a test next time you're in a Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue or Costco.

The only way to know if GIT is going to be an upgrade is to test it first. I actually got some samples on ebay for about $5.00. Personally, I would say, based on my limited exposure to GIT, that it's overhyped myself. Keep in mind that there are about 13 different types of Cool Water available. Some flankers are similar, some quite different. If you want to try some aquatics that may
    be viewed as an "upgrade", you should maybe try some of the Bulgari aquatics. I have samples of Bulgari Aqua and there is also
    a Bulgari Aqua Marine. The Aqua has a discernable seaweed note that makes it more mature smelling IMO. I also love Nautica
    Oceans. If you love Cool Water, you should also consider Aqua Di Gio by Armani. Another classic that is pretty good if you haven't
    been overexposed to it.

thx guys! Going to be sticking with Cool Water for signature scent I guess. What about the other Cool Water brands? How about Cool Water Happy Summer? Is it anything like the Cool Water scent? i'd have to actually sample all of these colognes somehow.

EDIT: Oh yea...how do you guys feel about Kenneth Cole Reaction? I heard good things about it i'd appreciate honest answers.
    Last edited by KalRedKrypto; 26th June 2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgot something...

Reaction IMO is a mild melony mess that disappears at about the time you could start appreciating it. Reapplying only starts the whole process over again.

Yeah, I own Reaction as well. It's an apple/melon fruity scent. I don't wear it too often. I suppose I'd chose it over Paris Hilton for Men (mango scent), but I think other fruity scents, (Banana Republic Classic and Hugo Boss Energise), are better.

I really like Cool Water--it's a true classic that deserves its popularity. It's actually the only summer frag I like, and it has become a workhorse for me this summer.

KalRedKrypto, why not just stick with the Cool Water as your light, fresh frag, and then add a second frag that is completely different as a way to add variety? Maybe an oriental? A gourmand? This could be the beginning of a wonderful addiction.

I think it IS an upgrade, but to be totally honest, I think they still smell a bit too similar for the vast difference in price you will pay for GIT. Like others have said, there is a higher quality you can smell in GIT, but it comes at a pretty big price multiplier I think. I agree with the poster who said it might be a good idea to take that money and diversify on a few other drastically different scents. If you are (assumedly) sort of "burned out" on Cool Water, GIT may be a little too familiar to give you much excitement from a variety standpoint.

With all that said, I personally have a 1oz-2.5oz GIT purchase in my future, but then again I never wore Cool Water, and I am earmarking it for more formal/special occasions, not daily wear.

hmm how many colognes are known to be in similarities with Cool Water? Besides GIT are there any others ?

GIT's success inspired the creation of Cool Water. I would assert that Grey Flannel was somewhat the inspiration for GIT.
    You might want to try Grey Flannel. It can be had very reasonably.

There are a lot of other scents that seem to be in the same vein as GIT/Cool Water. When something is that over the top popular, other companies will attempt to imitate it enough to generate sales.

If you like Cool Water- wear it. There are seemingly dozens of Cool Water flanker scents created by Davidoff, you might want to look at them.

Let me put it this way: there are huge differences in terms of quality and development between GIT and CW. If CW was your signature, it means you know it pretty well to notice these differences. GIT is definitely an upgrade and a noticeable one.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I like both and think that both are very nice.....Having said that I believe that GIT would be an upgrade.....just a better quality fragrance.....And this is just my opinion of course!!!
    Gary

If you really like cool water and have 200 to blow on a bottle of cologne, GIT is definitely worth trying on at Nieman or Saks. The two smell quite similar. GIT isn't worth the added cost. If you like the smell of a $20 bottle, I doubt you'll love Creed over 10 times more. But luxury items are never really worth the investment over the less expensive items. I have both and prefer GIT, my wife thinks CW smells better. I then tell her which scent was which; and then she backtracked and said CW smelled better at first, but it does smell cheaper than GIT as it dries.

They are similar, but GIT is the (clear) winner (IMO). Best bet is get a decant and wear it for a week to see if it pushes your buttons.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    GIT's success inspired the creation of Cool Water. I would assert that Grey Flannel was somewhat the inspiration for GIT.
    You might want to try Grey Flannel. It can be had very reasonably....
    Agreed.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I think if you have 200 bucks to blow on cologne, buying a more expensive version of what you already have might be a waste. You could buy 2 or 3 really nice frags and build a little wardrobe.

Sur la Plage

Yes, most definitely - as would many other fragrances.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 27th June 2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Get a sample of GIT and see if you like it better.

It is only an upgrade if you actually like it better.

I would encourage you to try something that is totally different though. Something that doesn't remind you of Cool Water at all. Broaden your horizons!

They both suck. But there is very little difference between the two. If I were you, I would check out other aquatics or just stick with CW.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Get a sample of GIT and see if you like it better.

It is only an upgrade if you actually like it better.

I would encourage you to try something that is totally different though. Something that doesn't remind you of Cool Water at all. Broaden your horizons!
    HEY GUYS! I have good news I will be buying the 4.2 OZ Green Irish Tweed! I managed to got a hold of sampling the GIT and I want to clear the air for anyone who believes it smells like Cool Water. YES IT DOES!!! hehe so why am I deciding to go with the GIT? Here's how I look at it.. from someone who's been wearing CW as a signature scent for awhile i've become quite adapted to the scent and when i smelled GIT i immediately thought "Cool Water" but it was 100% PRETTY OBVIOUS that the 2 stand apart from eachother! Why's that? Here's my immediate thought...

Left wrist had 2 sprays of CW
    Right wrist had sprays of GIT

I let them dry down for about 40 secs ( I hate the immediate spray on smell of any cologne)

So i started to sniff GIT and CW multiple times each time i used coffee to my nose to clear my senses of smell and even tho I get the same *scent* that i've always known in both I can tell you that GIT is much more intense by FAR but let me explain for those who are new like me.

In society the majority will mistake GIT and call it CW because of the scent no doubt but that is because "Cool Water" is a very common cologne many people use today. Problem is everyone that mistakenly guesses your GIT was CW would NEVER ever realized it's not actually Cool Water so you'd just have to live with that if you ask me.

In conclusion Cool Water = DVD Quality
    " " Green Irish Tweed = HDDVD Quality

meaning that both are close to exactly the same scent but GIT more High Grade. For example if you were to enhance your 20" TV Screen to show higher resolutions it will get dull and pixelated. Green Irish Tweed wouldn't LOSE it's overall Quality with expansion basically but CW does.

Both colognes are 100% authentic but CW would seem like a synthetic version comparing to GIT if you ask me. If GIT didn't exist CW would be a 100% Original great fragrance by itself. GIT will get you more compliments if you ask me.. the quality is far greater than CW and chances are if someone complimented on your GIT asking if it's CW then that person would have never noticed you in the first place if it wasn't for you wearing GIT. But they just "think" its Cool Water. Green Irish Tweed is Quality but don't buy it if you can't afford it your better off taking the money to buy a bottle CW and the rest can pay your Cell Phone bill or something. But if you can afford the GIT then hell yeah!!!

Thanks Basenotes!
    Last edited by KalRedKrypto; 27th June 2010 at 05:46 PM.

IMO yes. A clear improvement.

Well said KalRedKrypto. I am glad you found it an upgrade.

Get a sample of GIT. If you prefer the smell to GIT, buy it. When people say it's not worth the money like that's some objective fact, I get annoyed. They seem to think we all have the same amount of disposable cash.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by KalRedKrypto View Post
    HEY GUYS! I have good news I will be buying the 4.2 OZ Green Irish Tweed!
    Nice. And +1 to what Big Punisher just said.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
    Nice. And +1 to what Big Punisher just said.
    +2 to what Big Punisher said.

You're the ultimate judge of what you want and can afford.

The beginning... "similar"... to (no offense) possibly noses which are not the most experienced. (Neither is mine, I should add.)

The dry-down... Britney Spears versus Johann Sebastian Bach (the music not the corpse... or the corpsemen, as a famous politician likes to call our armed forces (-: (-.

I've worn this (GIT) in and out for more than ten years. Never regretted it. Never got sick of it. Learned a lot more since, yet GIT has not lost its charm. My present GIT bottle is the freshest I've ever had - the drydown is clearly weaker than in the past and than I'd like (I can use four-five sprays of this, which is enormous for my standards), but the topnotes are the clearest/lightest ever. I still miss though the much stronger violet leaf note present in my first GIT black (slightly lugubrious) bottle, bought somewhere 1999-2000 from Parfums Raffy.

4oz/120ml for a $120 non-discounted price... seemed extravagant then... little did I know what was to come...

As opposed to other Creeds, I've never had a bottle of GIT I disliked. I just enjoyed the differences.

An exceptionally underpriced fragrance. (Not entirely kidding.)
    Last edited by Addict; 27th June 2010 at 08:14 PM.

OK, so the verdict is in. You can have the cologne that experienced noses understand is vastly superior, or the one preferred by the opposite sex. God, what a hard decision.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    OK, so the verdict is in. You can have the cologne that experienced noses understand is vastly superior, or the one preferred by the opposite sex. God, what a hard decision.
    Actually you've got a point... provided that the one preferred by the opposite sex could be confirmed by an even semi-serious experiment, rather than by scarce anecdotal "evidence".

One thing which annoys me greatly about Cool Water (which also belies its name) is the over-sweet, almost cloying (as I perceive it, of course) candy-persistence after the first 20 minutes.

One man's test on 5 or 6 women is hardly the definitive study.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 27th June 2010 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    One man's test on 5 or 6 women is hardly the definitive study.
    True.

I'd also surmise that the dateable quality of the lady should also be taken into account.

In perfume art's world is not all about democracy.

Would you rather date one of the many women getting all excited about Hardee's bacon burger or would you prefer to get a chance with the one able to appreciate wagyu steaks? (-:

Whoa whoa whoa. Sample GIT either way, it's a benchmark fragrance. And, IMO, it's not just an "upgrade" it's a Kia to a Benz. It's an astronomical improvement. Cool Water is chemical, sour, sloppily put together, where as GIT is classy, expensive smelling and smooth as butter.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 28th June 2010 at 01:41 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

To be fair though, that experiment wasn't exactly a broad sample. If we tested 1,000 or 5,000 women, all of similar age and background and the verdict came back the same, THEN you may have a point with which the opposite sex prefer, but even then it would be pushing it. GIT is by FAR the number one fragrance mentioned in the stickied compliments thread on top of the forum, and I don't necessarily know that GIT is worn more than CW, so that argument wouldn't suffice as an excuse.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Cool Water is chemical, sour, sloppily put together
    I understand that many people don't like Cool Water, but even if I hated it I couldn't describe it as sloppily composed.

As for my previous comment, I realize that the experiment I refer to must be taken with a grain of salt. What I am really reacting to is what I perceive as an unfair evaluation of both frags. Cool Water is often dismissed as sub-par on these forums, although there are also many people here who hold it in high regard. I'm among the later. It's not my signature frag, it's not even really my style, but it's so well done that I just have to keep a bottle on hand.

If you own both try something that I do. I spray the inside of the cap once so that when I want to smell the fragrance I pick up the cap and sniff it before putting it on in case I forget how it smelled. Cool water and GIt smell similar in the beginning, but GIT smells much stronger over a week or two and still smells good. While CW didn't smell as nice, and was very faint.

hell yes it would be an upgrade!

Basenotes Plus

Without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    True.

I'd also surmise that the dateable quality of the lady should also be taken into account.

In perfume art's world is not all about democracy.

Would you rather date one of the many women getting all excited about Hardee's bacon burger or would you prefer to get a chance with the one able to appreciate wagyu steaks? (-:
    Correct.

Here's my CW v GIT 'Survey'

My 'rules of engagement' are better defined here

For the avoidance of doubt, my 'sniff team' are all Quality Women. Professional, articulate, well presented. The kind of woman I would be happy to date if I wasn't already taken!

Remember though, we're talking about me, my personal body chemistry, and women of my age group. If you want to do your own 'survey', all you need is half a dozen or so women who know you well enough to know you're not trying some kind of cheesy line, who are prepared to be candid with you, and who look forward to their next sniff !!!