Code of Conduct

Default cool water fades in 30 mins ?

i started loving this perfume but now im kinda worried about its longevity

opening is pretty good but fragrance fades in less than an hour.. im sure its not my nose getting used to it. anyone else experiencing the same problem ? it cant be fake since i bought it from airport duty free please advice

Btw I'm using cool water duo pack (2 x 40ml bottles)

Default Re: cool water fades in 30 mins ?

I wear it and it lasts a lot longer on me. It eventually softens into a light musk that stays on me most of the day. It's not a sillage and longevity monster, but it has decent staying power on me.

i liked the opening of it........ do they have an edp version ? actually i dont get it at all after 1 hour even with 4 sprays. where do you spray usually ? i prefer spraying on the neck and chest.

4 sprays?!?!?!? I used to wear it and it did last long but I sprayed @ least 8 all over my upper body and clothes. It is a little on the light side.

I put one spray on my neck (spray up close right at the skin), and one on the back of my neck. Lasts great on me.

Welcome to our world Mazz.

Fragrances can vary wildly from person to person.

You also should not rule out olfactory fatigue either. Ask women friends if they can smell it after you can't.

I love L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme. When I first apply, I can smell if for about an hour. Then it's barely noticeable to ME. I was wearing it the other day and long after I could not smell it, a woman three feet away from me commented on how good I smelled.

I'm not attacking you, but when I see some of these "no longevity" threads from a new member, I always wonder if the person concerned about longevity expects the fragrance to be slamming and pounding the way it does for the first hour you wear it. I say that because you mention "less than an hour." Most fragrances settle down a bit and few slam away for hours at the intensity you get in the first hour.

It is very common to have your nose become used to the smell and tune it out.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th June 2010 at 04:43 AM.

Dependent

I do suspect that it is your nose getting used to it (aka olfactory fatigue). The best way to find out, is to ask someone around you if they still smell it. Cool water does last quite a good period on me, and continues to project fairly well even as it mellows down.

Lasts a strong 7- 8 hours

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

I'm not attacking you, but when I see some of these "no longevity" threads from a new member, I always wonder if the person concerned about longevity expects the fragrance to be slamming and pounding the way it does for the first hour you wear it. I say that because you mention "less than an hour." Most fragrances settle down a bit and few slam away for hours at the intensity you get in the first hour.

It is very common to have your nose become used to the smell and tune it out.
    I often wonder the same thing. I learned the hard way years ago that just because I can't smell it doesn't mean others can't. I started wearing too much cologne and became "that guy". Now I travel the world spreading the good news of moderate application.

Try spraying it only on your wrist to test the longevity. Your nose might get tired if you're in a Cool Water cloud and you won't feel it's presence at all.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Cool Water lasts 10 hrs+ on me with good sillage.

As Matthew pointed out olfactory fatigue. If you can't ask somebody you can simply just spray it on your wrists, or anywhere where it doesn't constantly travel up your nose.. aka avoid the chest. Spray it on the wrists on a very humid day and see what happens. I know for most of us, we wanna smell the fragrance ourselves as well as have others smell it on us, but the only way of getting the satisfaction in both.. is to do small tests and try on different outfits so to speak, see what works best. A fragrance can do some magical things if applied a certain way. As for Cool Water lasting 30 mins in general on anyone's skin, this may be a first. The first 30 minutes for me with Cool Water is just the beginning, it's one of the few fragrances that projects above average throughout its entire life on my skin, or at least for the first 4 hours which is something to be happy about.

Also mazz, they do make a deodorant spray that is in the same bottle as the EDT, make sure you didn't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Also mazz, they do make a deodorant spray that is in the same bottle as the EDT, make sure you didn't get that.
    check it out

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i think i must try it on my wrist..i can remember spraying a bvlguri aqua tester on my wrist which lasted whole day.

perfumes i have tried on chest/neck/ which lasted whole day

diesel
    gucci envy
    212 men green bottle
    issey miyake fraiche

how is cool waters longevity when compared with above mentioned fragrances ?

Although I don't particularly like CW, I do occasionally wear it. It has excellent longevity and pretty good projection too. Like the others have said, you've got to be experiencing olfactory fatigue.

I'm a fan of CW and when I wore it along time ago it lasted all day and night and I didn't have to apply much. Literally people sniffing me a day later.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by mazz View Post
    check it out

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i think i must try it on my wrist..i can remember spraying a bvlguri aqua tester on my wrist which lasted whole day.

perfumes i have tried on chest/neck/ which lasted whole day

diesel
    gucci envy
    212 men green bottle
    issey miyake fraiche

how is cool waters longevity when compared with above mentioned fragrances ?
    Ya your Cool Water looks fine, just wondering about the cap being somewhat transparent. As for those other frags, I haven't tried any of those, and I'm not sure which Diesel you're referring to.. if it's the original.. that one is pretty hard to find, I would love to try it as I am a fan of their house.

I used to be in denial for so long about olfactory fatigue. But when you get people telling you "wanna spray anymore than the whole bottle on you" and such, or you get into areas that open up a bit more, and you can really suddenly smell your juice projecting, and even calling attention to yourself.. then you know. You gotta train your nose if you really wanna enjoy some fragrances. But again, it could also very well just be the combination with the fragrance on your skin, I know a friend who's black and has very dry skin, and wears Cool Water and only gets about an hour longevity out of it. He keeps a smaller 1.35 oz bottle in his car to reapply before, during and after work. So it all just depends. Of course oily skin is gonna hold any fragrance better. It could also be top note fatigue. Where you get too intrigued and obsessed with those top notes, and then when the top notes fade, you and your nose think there's nothing left. Exhale a bit away from your skin, make sure there's no odors lingering, then go in for a big whiff of it, and see what you get out of it. Sounds ridiculous huh, lol, but these things are ways to let yourself know what the fragrance is doing.

I've never tried Aqva either, but I hear its a longevity monster, so that lasting all day on your wrists is about right.

I myself get victimized by top note fatigue from time to time, it can't be helped. But you gotta work with the fragrance, give it time. I used to think IZOD only lasted 30 mins on my skin, but more recently I've been getting much more out of it since I'm not getting so fixated on its fantastic top notes. IZOD is just one example of the many I currently own that do this. It also really really really helps to have a bigger collection of fragrances, to alternate. This way, when you put one back on that you haven't worn in say 2 weeks, it becomes something very special, something you've been looking forward to, and something your nose will appreciate more and not take for granted.

@The_Cologneist

i think its diesel fuel for life.. by the way i have oily skin. i can still remember wearing 212 men green for college it was very over powering and i noticed people staring at me when im in the lift... too many sprays i guess how come i miss the smell of cool water when i'm able to sniff all others mentioned in my list ? i even tried davidoff silver shadow altitude (1.2ml mini) but couldn't get the smell even my sister wasn't able to notice it.. cool water was way better than that lol

here is the exact name of my issey miyake bottle

Leau Bleue Dissey Eau - got many female compliments.. but not my type of cologne

what do you think about following brands for my next upgrade

Azzaro chrome
    D&G PH
    Cool water Deep
    Green Irish Tweed

PS:- i hate musky colognes.. felt like yack after sniffing YSL Jazz

@The_Cologneist

i think its diesel fuel for life.. by the way i have oily skin. i can still remember wearing 212 men green for college it was very over powering and i noticed people staring at me when im in the lift... too many sprays i guess how come i miss the smell of cool water when i'm able to sniff all others mentioned in my list ? i even tried davidoff silver shadow altitude (1.2ml mini) but couldn't get the smell even my sister wasn't able to notice it.. cool water was way better than that lol

here is the exact name of my issey miyake bottle

Leau Bleue Dissey Eau - got many female compliments.. but not my type of cologne

what do you think about following brands for my next upgrade

Azzaro chrome
    D&G PH
    Cool water Deep
    Green Irish Tweed

PS:- i hate musky colognes.. felt like yack after sniffing YSL Jazz
    Well that would make sense with Cool Water and top note fatigue. Cool Water is one of the most linear fragrances around. What the top smells like is pretty much how it's gonna stay, where as something like Fuel for Life, which I proudly own has a distinctive fruity opening then changes throughout its phases. If the wrist test doesn't work, aka avoid spraying the chest and neck to see if it's a fatigue problem; then I would stop wearing it for a couple days, then try it on again. What this will do is bring back the scent in its entirety, or if you have other fragrances then alternate with them. Many people who wear Le Male too often have this problem. It's also been said on Basenotes before that people believe Cool Water markets a different less potent juice for places like Kmart and Walmart because Cool Water is such a mass marketer and sold everywhere you go. But, I find this very hard to believe, they would have to measure a completely different formula for it be weaker, and it would cost them a lot of money.

As for Altitude, I've never tried it.. but the original Silver Shadow i found to be pretty horrible.. far too cloying, too much pineapple and synthetic sweetness in the opening, I personally hate noticeable pineapple notes in a fragrance. As for the others you're interested in, many love Chrome, many hate it.. I'm a Chrome hater, it just doesn't do anything for me, plus it has that "wet paper" smell to me along with the metallic notes. It is very light though and lasts a good 6 hours easily. DG ph I haven't tried, but its been compared to Realities which I love. Kind of a powdery, sweet, lemony/coconut thing going on with a nice woodsy base. CW Deep I haven't tried, but I have tried many other CW flankers. And GIT.. one of the greatest. But, if you're not getting much out of CW, you may be the type who gets little from GIT. As far as the comparison between the two go, they're not really alike IMO, but they do have some similarities. They're both very green fragrances, GIT smells more natural, and doesn't project as much. GIT also has a metallic note, but it's very very appealing.. even to someone like myself who usually hates metallic notes. Both of these though are fairly linear. There are tons of forums comparing the two, as it is one of the most talked about topics on this board. I'm just a cheapy when it comes to fragrances, I won't ever spend more than 40 bucks, unless it's something I can't find on sale like a 6.7 oz Fahrenheit. And when you're talking GIT with a retail price of 250 bucks direct from Creed which would ensure the best and freshest product, and most importantly authentic. GIT and other Creed's have a lot of imposters that look very real.

What is musky for you? Cool Water definitely has a lot of musk in the base. Just like Silver Shadow Altitude (which has nothing in common with the original Silver Shadow, Cologneist). Both of them are definitely not weak. Wear something else for a few days and then come back to it, just like The Cologneist suggested.

Another one you could try, if CW doesn´t work for you is Chanel Platinum Egoiste. It is similar to CW, more expensive though.

D&G PH is nice too, but completely different. Sweet citrus and tobbaco basically (but some musk as well I believe). Check out the reviews.

@The_Cologneist

i dont have any preference on brands but like to try as much brands as possible and gradually grow my wardrobe.

currently i have around 5 colognes...... Polo All colors and some other brands like 4711, yardley etc as well as the above mentioned list. Like dannyboy suggested i'll stay away from Cw for a while and come back to it later. Let's see how it works.

Also im eyeing on Aqua di gio

Btw can someone explain the type of Musk on colognes like Gucci Envy, YSL Jazz etc ? (top notes) i don't like it much and get a lot of negative feedback whenever im wearing it here in asia
    Last edited by mazz; 27th June 2010 at 03:48 PM.

Is this your first time wearing it? If so, wear it again in the next few days and see how it goes. From my experience, I couldn't smell the new scent much when I first wore it, but it got better on the 2nd wear.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Btw can someone explain the type of Musk on colognes like Gucci Envy, YSL Jazz etc ? (top notes) i don't like it much and get a lot of negative feedback whenever im wearing it here in asia
    The thing with musk is that it's a very versatile note. When I hear the word musk I think "EWWW" with the notion that it's something coming from an animals glands. Or I associate the word with that of a fragrance made in the 1950's. But if somebody doesn't tell me that musk is in the base of a fragrance and I don't really notice it, then I'm good. There's musk, and then there's MUSK. For example, Cool Water has musk, but most of us don't think of it as a musky fragrance; A*Men and Gucci ph II both have musk, but most of us don't perceivethem as "musky" scents. Then there's MUSK, with fragrances that emphasize on the musk notes like Jovan Musk for example. These are the types of musky fragrances that may seem old fashioned and may not appeal to a lot of us.

Some people hate individual notes because of bad experiences with fragrances with those notes, or perhaps they associate the note with something displeasing. To me musk just makes for a nice substantial base in a fragrance. I get more of a feel out of musk than an actual smell.

As for your question, I have yet to smell Jazz, and Envy, so I can't really comment.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 28th June 2010 at 05:45 AM.

i don't think its long lasting on my skin.. tried 1 spray behind the neck and another on the wrist.. i was able to smell it whenever i turned my head for the first 30 minutes after that it disappeared in to thin air after 1 hours time i asked my sister whether she was able to smell it.. hmm the answer was NO! ofc i can get it when i sniff my wrists but you've got to smell it really close.

Do you think Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey will be better ? i heard that it has good sillage
    Last edited by mazz; 30th June 2010 at 11:37 AM.

update:- i gave 1 bottle to my brother and i was able to get the smell on him even after 3 hours. maybe i must spray a little more than usual he told that he sprayed 1 on neck and another on the wrist
    Last edited by mazz; 30th June 2010 at 06:51 PM.

It's just your skin chemistry then, your skin eats it up. L'eau D'Issey is nothing like Cool Water, it's kind of a salty/bitter aquatic.

I'd say if you love Cool Water, but don't get much out of it, you should look for something similar to it. There are many that resemble it, some of its flankers, as well as other less known fragrances. Keep in mind Cool Water was the first of its kind, even to this day there are still other fragrances mocking it.

please suggest me some good colognes with better sillage ?

to be honest even a good soap or a cheap cologne like hermes etc stays with me better than cool water edt

please suggest me some good colognes with better sillage ?

to be honest even a good soap or a cheap cologne like hermes etc stays with me better than cool water edt
    If you make a new post in the forums asking for advice. Tell them your interests, your budget and what you're looking for. Be sure to mention you prefer more mainstream scents (as I do myself) This will help with the responses a bit, they wont be as all over the place with names of 20 french fragrances by houses you've never heard of. It can definitley get overwhelming. The more specific you are though, the more people can cater to your needs.

A lot of people are probably gonna mention Green Irish Tweed, which is very expensive. GIT is slightly similar to CW, but not as much as many claim it to be. You must sniff this for yourself and try it on your skin.

Perhaps make a thread telling people you want something similar to CW in smell, but with better projection and longevity. You may get a lot of the same answers from here, that quite a bit get 10+ hours from CW.

@The_Cologneist

Thank you very much for the advice.. i'm actually open to other fragrances as well.. now i'm kinda bored with CW

edit:- Im still new to BN.. hoping to find my signature perfume soon
    Last edited by mazz; 1st July 2010 at 06:37 AM.

I had the same problem, i loved d smell of CW, but just that it doesn't stay longer on my skin. So, gave d bottle to brother. what to do..

@ kbandarage

im also from sri lanka :P maybe its something to do with our weather LOL