Code of Conduct

Default Advice for a highschooler that loves frags about RG and opium?

Hey base notes, i just joined the forum. I've been reading it and looking at reviews for over a year from this website and i finally decided to join the forum.

I am currently 17 and turning 18 soon. I love fragrances i usually do not let age recommendations in fragrances limit me from wearing them because i believe personality can allow people to pull anything off(also i treat the age recommendations as a challenge sort of :P). I have a bold character that is unique and stands out at my school. I enjoy wearing sophisticated, unique, and darker frags.

my question is, i've been thinking bout rive gauche and opium recently and i'm not exactly sure if i should actually purchase them. I've never smelled either because the area i live in has almost no samples for some of the less popular fragrances. they do for like aqua di gio and those type of things. People say rive gauche smells like barbasol shaving cream so i went to my local cvs and smelled it an honestly i loved it. my friends gave me a face palm though hahaha. I always loved the smell even whe i was younger. Opium just seems like something i'd love to wear, vanilla musk i believe? Well i already have body kouros and i'm not sure if they are similar, but i love body kouros! oh yeah the question hahaha, i was wondering if you guys believe i would enjoy these frags? also would i be able to pull it off. I'm one of the guys who dresses in street clothes from like kidrobot, zumiez, pacsun etc but also has another 50% of my wardrobe that is like banana republic, club manaco, express and like etc. i enjoy dressing nice ^ ^

some of my fav frags that i own: leau d issey, ungaroIII, the dreamer, body kouros, Bulgari pour homme extremme, armani code, lolita lempika, rochas man (oh yeah , in my area no one realy wears cologne so i'm willing to pull out some of the more mainstream stuff like cool water or aqua di gio and i'd still be different from everyone lol). If i had a lot more money i'd be buying niches or a ton of other colognes lol, but i only have 11 bottles currently. I love the YSL house. yes i do love florals really much, more than all other types of colognes. i also love gourmands. I enjoy fresher scents and aquatics sometimes during the hot days just to cool me down and the appease the younger crowd if you know what i mean .

thanks in advance base noters! i really appreciate it. please and thankyou ^ ^

PS. i do appreciate fragrances, and i do love the more complex ones as well. So don't be afraid to post anything bout anything a typical highschooler wouldnt like! i go to cvs or target some days after school just to smell shampoos, shower gels, lotions, deoderants, hair products and etc.
    Last edited by Slushiex3; 27th June 2010 at 01:52 AM.

Default Re: Advice for a highschooler that loves frags about RG and opium?

Slushiex3,
    Thanks for the long note and introduction. To your question, I would say you would rock the whole town wearing RG PH and Opium PH. Those would be fantastic scents and pretty much unlike anything you've got already. They'd be very nice additions to the collection, and they're both such well made scents that in longevity, creativity, tradition, and interest, they'll not disappoint you. I could be wrong, of course, because it's your nose and not mine, and there's no way I can tell what your nose will like for sure, but I'd wager after a week straight of wearing those two (RG PH is a wonderful scent to wear for a week straight, maybe Opium PH is more fun for Friday night and then Saturday night in a row) you'll think they were your best fragrance buys.

Good luck and keep the town smelling nice!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Welcome to Basenotes

I also think that Opium and Rive Gauche are not just suitable for your age (both of these frags don't smell too formal or dated anyway), but certainly have the capacity to be unique and add a lot of contemporary stylishness to your fragrance wardrobe

Welcome to the forum,

oh yeah the question hahaha, i was wondering if you guys believe i would enjoy these frags
    This is impossible to answer, how in the world can we know if you'll enjoy it or not, there are some fragrances that put us in the same dilemma : "Do I really like this one?". The thing is that if you're that kid who wears street clothes, smelling like Opium and Rive Gauche is inappropriate, for they are suitable at formal occasions. If you want a hip & cool fragrance I'd suggest: Versace Eau Fraiche, Boss Bottled 6.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

hey everyone thanks for your well thought out responses. they are very much appreciated.
    i probably will buy opium and rive gauche anyway because they seem like such nice fragrances that i would enjoy.

to trapper: hahaha i guess you're right, my bad for asking. Although i do wear street clothes, i do also wear more high end clothing for highschoolers at least. I am sort of half and half, because i enjoy dressing nice so i do purchase nice brand name clothing aswell. I was thinking when i wore the 2 i would probably wear a suite, dressshirt, argyles, cartigans, etcetc stuff like that.

Opium is great, I might rebuy it. RG smells like a nursing home to me. But if you enjoy it and the breezecakes don't object, by all means buy it. I also feel matching your scent to what you're wearing is pretty asinine. I'm 17 FWIW.
    WTT: Creed SMW for Creed GIT.

thanks for your opinion! yes it was nice to know that you were 17 also

today i went and tested opium on my skin, and i actually loved it alot. To my surprize though, i've smelled this before considering i'm from an asian descent. It reminds me of something back when i used to visit china. What i got at first was a small amount of vanilla, along with a lot of galanga (ginger) which gave it a very boozy feel ( loved it). there were hints of pepper. But as the time went on the ginger died down slightly and lost its sparkle, and the pepper disappeared. more vanilla popped up and same with musk over time! loved it. it had a very oriental vibe to it.
    as for RG i smelled it on paper, smelled like a lot of pepper and geranium. anyone else get that vibe?
    Last edited by Slushiex3; 28th June 2010 at 06:09 AM.

Never tried RG yet but I hear it's a heavy "barbershop" scent. As for YSL, I think their house is overrated. I tested Opium in the store and didn't think much of it, but then too it wasn't on my skin, so I could have jumped to conclusions too quickly, I may give it another shot in the future. I do own Live Jazz, and I find it to be just average. A bit overrated as well, it's a light summer fragrance that yes.. is different from the majority, but isn't enough to make me wanna buy it again. Different, but not really unique, just not another typical aquatic mimicking AdG.

I'd say if you appreciate such fragrances you should take a shot at ApH or Drakkar Noir. Both are fantastic even in their current formulas that have been reformulated and are nothing like the originals. Timeless classics that have been reformulated for the best, as they become more versatile and more appealing to many. Both are still powerhouses, but if you like the smell which somebody like you probably would, and you don't wanna call as much attention to yourself by projecting 10 feet across the room, there are ways to apply it. Like 1 spray to the chest, or 2 to the wrists.

Hmm well i never put RG on my skin so i cant really say i know if it smells like that barbershop scent. On paper it did not imo. YSL in my opinion is a really nice house. Though i agree that i believe Live jazz is over hyped, it definately is unique. People tend to think it smells nice though so can't complain too much. In my opinion it's sort of like a "dirty" aquatic.

I've smelled drakkar noir on paper and it smells pleasant but i never tried it. It's a very green scent in my opinion and smells reminescent of a forest. (typically i don't wear green scents but next time i'll give it a go!). May i ask what "ApH" is? I enjoy power houses cause they are bold ^ ^ thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    May i ask what "ApH" is?
    I'd guess it means Azzaro pour Homme (which I prefer than RG).

Yes, Azzaro pH. I would say you could go on the Azzaro site and get the contact info and email them requesting some samples, but I recall you saying you were in China. So I don't know if they would send there.

hahaha alright i'll go see if i can! nah i meant i have an asian background so i'm ABC. ^ ^ i heard rg and Aph smell alike. Wait can you realy just go to some House's website and request samples?