Code of Conduct

Default How would you define the smell of Kouros? And are there similar fragrances?

Since a couple of days I'm using Kouros. I really love it.

Since I'm not that into fragfrances I'd like to know how you guys 'define' the smell of Kouros. I'd define it as 'heavy', but that won't bring me var I guess.

The reason I ask this is because I'd like to buy another well known fragrance that is similar to the 'heavy' smell of Kouros (any ideas?).

Thank you all in advance

Default Re: How would you define the smell of Kouros? And are there similar fragrances?

I would describe Kouros as yin and yang. Clean vs. putrid. Perfume plus filth. Wonderful, and yes heavy stuff.

To get more serious though, since civet is such an integral part of Kouros, to find similar fragrances, you might first want to search for frags that contain this ingredient.

Welcome to the Kouros fan club, and welcome to Basenotes.

Default Re: How would you define the smell of Kouros? And are there similar fragrances?

To be honest Jon, I just realize it, it's not really the smell of Kouros (since your talking about civet), it's the 'heaviness' of this fragrance that strikes me most. Any ideas for other fragrances that are as heavy as Kouros and don't fade away quickly?

It's a massive musky-spicy fougere

In Kouros, the heavy use of costus (animalic ingredient that smells like wet hair) and quantity of musk are possibly even more important than the civet.

There is no other Kouros. Balenciaga pour Homme (a woody oriental, softer and less lively) shares similarities in smell, but lacks the prickly, spices-off-a-welder's rod feel of Kouros. It's a killer fragrance either way. Azzaro pour Homme and Paco Rabanne pour Homme have a similar liveliness and muskiness. Both are substantial fougeres. Jules could work. It's also a rich fougere like Kouros. And you might as well try some Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, too. Yatagan and a few other late 70's-early 80's scents should be in there, as well as a fresh version of Kouros such as Kouros Fraicheur, which is the best, and no shabby fragrance at that. It was created by the same perfumer as Kouros.

Happy trails.............

-
    Last edited by pluran; 16th September 2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: tantric massage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    To be honest Jon, I just realize it, it's not really the smell of Kouros (since your talking about civet), it's the 'heaviness' of this fragrance that strikes me most. Any ideas for other fragrances that are as heavy as Kouros and don't fade away quickly?
    Try almost anything from Serge Lutens. Quite a few orientals are very dense. Jaipur edp or Goutal Sables are very dense. As well as Opium ph edp. Also, try other 80's powerhouses (Azzaro ph for instance). To me, many leather frags are the epitome of dense (Knize 10).

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Nearest frag to Kouros that i know is the discontinued patchouli/honey-rich Balenciaga pour Homme.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

AromiErotici

Since I'm not that into fragfrances I'd like to know how you guys 'define' the smell of Kouros. I'd define it as 'heavy', but that won't bring me var I guess.

The reason I ask this is because I'd like to buy another well known fragrance that is similar to the 'heavy' smell of Kouros (any ideas?).

Thank you all in advance
    Kouros can be "defined" as completely masculine. Love it or hate it.....it's a macho scent. I have found that Balenciaga PH and even Ted Lapidus ( 1987) have a similar denseness to them as well as similarities in notes used and accord structure.

Paco Rabanne PH and Azzaro PH share the vibe with Kouros.

The inspiration for Kouros must have been Creed's Orange spice, they're very similar....i have alot of respect for Orange Spice but i like Kouros better.

Like stated above, most aromatic fougeres share the same vibe as Kouros, Azzaro, Paco Rabane, Van Cleef & Arpels i think they're all fantastic.

Kouros also has some great flankers, be sure to check them out.
    Knize Ten !

Since I'm not that into fragrances I'd like to know how you guys 'define' the smell of Kouros. I'd define it as 'heavy', but that won't bring me var I guess.

Thank you all in advance
    An aromatic fougere: there are some ingredients common to these, coumarin, lavender, geranium, moss and wood. To the nose, the common point among them is that their top notes accords are very pungent.

In the case of Kouros, aromatic notes are present in the top notes (clary sage, artemisa, coriander). IMHO, these are amped up due to the presence of aldehydes and bergamot. The mid notes include other essence oils known for their "punch": patchouly, vetiver, geranium and cinnamon; the base notes don't lag behind, there is musk, honey, leather, amber and civet. So, basically, what you have is a very strong blend due to the presence of very potent essential oils.

In terms of user's attitudes, a take-it-or-leave it scent due to its boldness, as many have said.

There are two scents that similar to Kouros, Balenciaga pour Homme and Ted Lapidus pour Homme. The best of the three is Balenciaga, but unfortunately it has been discontinued. Lapidus is not as good as the rest, though, but if you lke Kouros, you might like this one - in my case, I find the top notes off-puting, but the rest of the blend is quite fine.
    Last edited by Pollux; 27th June 2010 at 03:52 PM.

To clarify:

Ted Lapidus pour Homme is a leather chypre made in 1978.

Lapidus pour Homme is a fougere made in 1987.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th June 2010 at 04:05 PM.

edit double post
    Last edited by pluran; 27th June 2010 at 04:03 PM.

I agree that what defines Kouros is the contrast between clean and dirty, class and crudeness, honor and hate, just like the archetypal man, like what most men were supposed to be some time ago. If you can't understand this, you will probably not like Kouros.

The clean and dirty thing is indeed very apt way to describe Kouros.

When you say heavy like Kouros, it's unclear to me whether you mean another scent that is also "heavy" or another scent that is "heavy" and smells like Kouros.

Creeds Orange Spice is quite similar, but a bit less "dirty."

There are tons of other "heavy" scents. Many of them 1980s powerhouse scents.

Hmmm i'd say kouros is a very animalistic fragrance. It is really dirty and embodies the scent of sort of sweat. At least at first.
    I admit i did fall under the category that believed it was urinal cakes and just aweful at first, but i decided to take it up as a challenge. I hated the first hour or so, but then it started becoming a slight sweet fragrance. For me at least, it became sort of a golden honey smell with some cinnamon and ginger. It was nice, but not my thing.

Off-Scenter

If the weight, general style, and overall "clean-dirty" vibe of Kouros appeal to you, then I second the recommendations of Jules, Havana, Yatagan, and Azzaro pour Homme, and suggest trying some of the following as well:

Lauder for Men, Ciel for Him, and Jicky (all citrus-rich animalic fougères)
    Eau d'Hermes and Déclaration (both spicy citrus with animalic leather)
    Ungaro II (citrus/floral with a massive dose of civet)
    Jardin du Nil (weirdly animalic "masculine" floral with lots of indole, mint, and geranium)
    The Third Man (a lavender-heavy fougère with very warm musky base notes)
    Dirty English (animalic leather and dry woody notes)
    Czech & Speake Cuba (bay rhum and tobacco with a huge, raunchy civet note)
    Citrus Paradisi (animalic grapefruit)

Sample and have fun!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 27th June 2010 at 09:27 PM.