Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Bond no 9 vs the perfumed court.

I read here that the perfumed court was not allowed to sell decants of their products. Which inspired me to dig a little deeper. I only own a couple of their scents, but I won't be sniffing any of their bottles at Saks for quite a while.

I find it funny that bond no 9 advertises on google's website as:

Bond No. 9 Official Site
    BondNo9.com Making Scents Of New York. Free Samples & Shipping - Shop Now!

I didn't believe it because I read that you need to purchase a bottle to get any samples. Upon clicking the samples page I am allowed to select 6 samples for $15 when I purchase a bottle. That sounds far from free samples and shipping!

If anyone is breaking the law Bond is giving false advertisement.

Default Re: Bond no 9 vs the perfumed court.

Yeah I was a little bit perplexed as to how to get free samples from them. Ended up getting some on eBay.

Wow, I didn't realize they had succeeded in blocking TPC's sales. That's ridiculous, TPC had every right to sell them but I guess a small company doesn't need the hassle of a lawsuit over products that don't sell =x

Basenotes Institution

I checked TPC website- - no Bond available. Huh ! Still ,there is Ebay ..........
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I checked TPC website- - no Bond available. Huh ! Still ,there is Ebay ..........
    I found the Bonds missing when I last checked TPC, maybe 2-3 weeks ago.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I found the Bonds missing when I last checked TPC, maybe 2-3 weeks ago.
    I'm slow ! *LOL*

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I'm slow ! *LOL*
    or perhaps you don't care about the Bonds and therefore didnt bother to even look for them ;-)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    or perhaps you don't care about the Bonds and therefore didnt bother to even look for them ;-)
    That is more like it !

This attitude sours me more toward buying anything from their line. I don't own any and I never will. Buyers vote for a company's success with their money.

I am glad Guerlain is making some new releases soon. They will have my business.

Companies need to know that casual fragrance buyers do not make for long-term customers. Some are enchanted with a pretty bottle and buy on first sniff, but the repeat buyer and fragrance enthusiast is the one who returns over a period of years...or decades. I am also inclined to buy from Liz Zorn, a small natural perfumer in the U.S. who had a letter sent to her from Bond No. 9.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th June 2010 at 10:23 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I will not be trying anything further from Bond no. 9's line. I will be making multiple purchases from TPC in the coming months...

Who wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This attitude sours me more toward buying anything from their line. I don't own any and I never will. Buyers vote for a company's success with their money.

I am glad Guerlain is making some new releases soon. They will have my business.

Companies need to know that casual fragrance buyers do not make for long-term customers. Some are enchanted with a pretty bottle and buy on first sniff, but the repeat buyer and fragrance enthusiast is the one who returns over a period of years...or decades. I am also inclined to buy from Liz Zorn, a small natural perfumer in the U.S. who had a letter sent to her from Bond No. 9.
    Oh, I thought Anya was the only one hit in their campaign to threaten artisan perfumers over dubious intellectual property claims. Good to know! See these two links for more Bond No. NEIN PR gaffs:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/204...y-My-Riverside
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...saved-230.html
    And I love how Bond posts a long blog comment about how brutally they'd been treated by the letter's recipient.

Fair well, Bond No. 9, I won't buying anything from you. Ever. Which isn't hard given that Chinatown is the only nice piece in the collection.

Wow, so it looks like Anya and Lizz dodged a pretty serious bullet by giving into Bond. I didn't think Rahme would seriously go through with these kind of lawsuits but she has done it before. She didn't win but it took years and a fortune in lawyer's fees before it was settled out of court. http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?q...&pn2=&cop=&cn= (Lerner New York Inc. is the name of the nearly identical suit, it was "Chelsea Flowers" vs. "Chelsea Chic").

Blog Entries

But she's been the defendant a few times too, I see.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

Yes I agree. Bullying tactics from Bond aimed at small perfumeries especially = no business from me.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 2nd July 2010 at 04:20 AM.

Bond is the evil empire of niche houses and sue crazy to boot. Laurice Rahme is just a very unpleasant person, but I guess it works in her favor in business. Needless to say I would rather douse myself in cat-piss followed by a skunk gland smear than ever wear a single thing from Bond.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I always thought many Bond No.9 scents lack soul. Now I know why.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 2nd July 2010 at 03:44 PM.

^Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

I was about to purchase several Bonds. No longer.
    Things are things because of Mind--Zen Buddhist saying
    Currently wearing: Casran by Chopard

Basenotes Institution

Yup, put off for life. They have to reaslise that they are NOT the only perfume company out there. We can pick and choose. There's lots of good juice to buy. It certainly doesn't make Bond palatable when they start throwing their weight around. They choose 'offense' and I choose boycott.
    Besides, I think their bottles verge on vulgarity.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 2nd July 2010 at 09:46 PM.

I wouldn't go near a Bond scent now... at all. Ever. Not good PR, and quashing TPC doesn't speak well of the Bond perfumes themselves, if they can't stand the fair competition of really small houses and cottage industry decanters.

Also... If Bond names something "XXXX Perfume" does that mean they'll sue anyone who uses the word "perfume" in the name of theirs? That's the ridiculousness of the suit around Chelsea Flowers/Chelsea Chic ... in my mind those are TWO DISTINCTLY separate product names. (can you TRADEMARK a city name anyway?)

Grr.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Wow, so it looks like Anya and Lizz dodged a pretty serious bullet by giving into Bond. I didn't think Rahme would seriously go through with these kind of lawsuits but she has done it before. She didn't win but it took years and a fortune in lawyer's fees before it was settled out of court. http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?q...&pn2=&cop=&cn= (Lerner New York Inc. is the name of the nearly identical suit, it was "Chelsea Flowers" vs. "Chelsea Chic").
    Thank you, Zizanioides, for the updates. I will echo what others have already said: I won't buy a Bond No. 9--ever.

Again, the casual buyer will buy a pretty bottle or two, but the likes of us--who spend thousands of dollars over a period of decades--won't touch the stuff. We'll see if they are around in twenty years.

Do I hear the purchase of a Guerlain exclusive calling me?
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd July 2010 at 01:01 AM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

This cracks me up, or makes me ill, I'm not sure which. I mean, the hypocrisy...and the stones! And from a house that basically has done little more than rip off other perfumes: Wall Street = MI; Hamptons = SMW; Great Jones = Paco; HOT Always = Gentleman; New Haarlem = Rochas Man; and so on. To then turn around and threaten artisans over using a common word that they used in one of their fragrance names. Wow. Her entire business model is morally bankrupt, IMO. They never have, and never will get a dime from me.

The whole litigiousness is ridiculous coming from a company that has built itself entirely around borrowing the names and aura of New York City and weekend spots for wealthy New Yorkers, which are clearly supposed to seem chic, desirable, exclusive, and trendy. Bond No. 9: um, the name comes from a street address in NoHo. Did you need to get permission from New York City to use that name? Though, of course, you put the street number after the street name to give it a bit of European panache: by golly, now it's original and creative! Moreover, the company logo comes from an old NYC subway token design: that's not exactly "original" but a borrowing and adaptation of something existing and something created by someone else.

Chelsea Flowers? Someone is being sued for using "Chelsea" in a name? This is almost hard to believe, since it's a neighborhood in Manhattan, which is named for an area of London... Not to mention, it's also a fairly popular girls' name (along with Madison: even more popular!). I don't think one can copyright "Chelsea" or "Madison"!

And the Andy Warhol tie in? It's merely attempting to manufacture style and perceived exclusivity by using the name and work of a dead artist-celebrity. What are the connections between the scents and Warhol, and the scents and the NYC neighborhoods whose names have been adopted? Any relationships are tenuous at best. There are so many ironies in the approach of suing companies that may use names related to names that are already in the public domain.

Overall it's a very strange business model: attempting to succeed by killing the little guy with the threat of court action and legal costs rather than producing a superlative, rationally priced product!

That said, the company's SoHo store is quite well done: it makes one want to experience it as well as the products!

I dont care either way to be honest , but if TPC were to challenge Laurice Rahme legally what would their chances be of winning ? Of course its probably not worth their while financially - its just a shame that bullyboy tactics wins the day again ...

Look at USPTO application #77728339.

Bond No. 9 also filed a complaint against John Varvatos (whose fragrance license is with Elizabeth Arden) for the fragrance-related trademark "John Varvatos Bowery NYC", which in Bond No. 9's case sounds too similar to "Nouveau Bowery". This was despite the fact that it was only a trademark at this point and "(t)he examining attorney has searched the Office’s database of registered and pending marks and has found no conflicting marks that would bar registration under Trademark Act Section 2(d). 15 U.S.C. 1052(d); TMEP 704.02." Even weirder, John Varvatos has a store and headquarters in the Bowery in the old CBGB, so you'd think that Bond wouldn't sue because of that and the history involved.

At least the complaint is still pending. I hope Varvatos wins this one...
    Last edited by MFfan310; 3rd July 2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Loyal Basenoter since 2004. And getting ready for the next big step in my longtime hobby: bringing niche to my neck of the woods... Xscentrik is coming soon.

Follow our progress on Basenotes and here: Facebook Twitter
    Currently wearing: Musk Oud by By Kilian

Blog Entries

Annick Goutal filed against Bond No. 9; Goutal had Grand Amour and Bond tried to use Parfum d'Amour. So, she's not the only one doing it....

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I find this litigatious environment too much of a BS and places unnecessary strain on the judicial system. 'Amour' is such a common word! Why isn't Kenzo sued for Kenzo Amour? I think AG is just dishing out what Bond No.9 has been serving lately. Serves them right!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Annick Goutal filed against Bond No. 9; Goutal had Grand Amour and Bond tried to use Parfum d'Amour. So, she's not the only one doing it....
    I don't see the point of filing ...Grand Amour - Parfum d'Amour- completely different. All this stuff reminds me of Bikram Hot Yoga's attempt to trademark yoga moves as his own , ones that have been around for thousands of years.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd July 2010 at 05:56 PM.

I find this whole global phenomenon of legal action / sueing quite silly and unecessary but there you go

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I find this whole global phenomenon of legal action / sueing quite silly and unecessary but there you go
    So do I. Particularly in this case, where the one who sues is calling for "creativity" on the parts of her competitors, and exhibiting in my opinion exactly, precisely, absolutely NO creativity herself. Makes the application of the term "Intellectual Property" somewhat ... ironic. She must think that it's such a genius turn to make derivative names like that and paste 'em on derivative scents... I suppose it has worked for her so far... but what if one of the big companies takes HER lack of creativity to task in a big way...what then? Would it be schadenfreude to wish that upon her?

Meh. Seems so silly, pretentious, and shallow, but I'm sure the lawyers are quite happy to help her part with her money. I'm equally sure that the same lawyers probably have much better things to do with their time.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Roberto Cavalli went after Boucheron for the snake motif on the tops of their bottles. Cavalli had Oro and Boucheron had Trouble. In the end, Boucheron had to change their bottle tops to a swirling bit of ribbon with a jewel.

How silly. The snake motif has been around for thousands of years in many cultures, and the Victorians were very fond of snake jewellery and motifs in the 1840s and onward.

I'd like to see someone trademark the name for Paris: YSL Paris, YSL Parisienne, Soir de Paris, Field Notes from Paris...
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd July 2010 at 11:19 PM.