Code of Conduct

Default Love's Baby Soft and adults

Ok for some reason I couldn't comment in the directory so I am posting this here...

I was taken aback by some of the comments in the directory about Love's Baby Soft and use by adults.

Comments about only using it as an air freshener, don't you dare wear it out of the house if you are over 13, and things like that.

Well I am an adult who loves it! My view on adults wearing Baby Soft is this...

Baby Soft is powder scented. Whatever you want to call it, powder or powder fresh is the most popular scent in womens anti prespirants/deoderants. So if a good majority of women leave the house in the morning smelling of powder, who cares what the source is?

I've worked in retail sales a long time. I am well aware of people who don't have an identity outside of the brand names they wear, but this just had me laughing!

Default Re: Love's Baby Soft and adults

It was wildly popular back in my tween years (early Pleistocene era). I mean, you could not walk down the corridor of any elementary or junior high school, public, private, secular or faith-based, without being enveloped in a cloud of the stuff.

I neither shared nor really understood the fascination with it then or now. It smells like commercial baby powder, which is just not a scent that has ever appealed to me that much, even on babies.

Actually, on a few of occasions in the past, I have made rose, ylang-ylang and sandalwood-scented baby powder for friends who had reproduced. Obviously, today, the sandalwood would not be an option, since it costs more than gold plated cocaine, but you could use something reasonable, like honeysuckle or lavender. (Just get some plain unscented "french" talc, or cornstarch, or both, soak a cotton ball in the essential of your choice and leave it in the talc for a couple of weeks, then take it out and let it sit for a few days to be sure any moisture has gone, put it in a pretty jar with a ribbon and poof! And no, it will not make babies get rashes or explode).
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose it's the infant/diaper associations people have with that specific scent. It turns some people off. I don't mind it, but it isn't my first choice of a powder scent.

What other powder scents do you recomend?

A lot of stuff gives me a headache or is just to strong for my liking. I like something light and fresh, like that smell when you leave the shower.

I was thinking about trying Philosophy's Amazing Grace.

Hillaire

Citizen Queen is a powdery scent with a twist. It's sexy I think.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like soft and powdery, try Eclat d'Arpege, Barbara Bui or even Avon's Sweet Honesty. All are soft and light, but with a little more sophistication than Love's Baby Soft. (And I say that as someone who wore Love's Baby Soft in junior high school.)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember Love's Baby Soft from my teen years, but wasn't a wearer of it, preferring Love's Fresh Lemon. Both have been reformulated significantly and I barely recognized Baby Soft when I smelled it again after so many years. It doesn't smell nearly as much like simple baby powder as it used to. I say, if you like it, wear it!

That said, many fragrances have powdery notes in case you wish to explore wearing something new. YSL Paris is powdery (think rose+ violet) as are many violet fragrances.

I have some Baby Soft -- in body spray. How cheesy is that? I wear it around the house when I'm cleaning. It reminds me of my youth in the 1970s. I think the well-rounded perfumista can have a wardrobe that includes everything from Baby Soft and the lowliest drug store scents to Amouage Gold. There's too much snobbiness in life; we don't need to replicate it in the world of perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, I agree you should wear Baby Soft if that's what you like! Actually, this thread has me curious to smell it again after all these years. 30 Roses, I had Love's Lemon, too. I used to sprinkle my sheets and pillow with it to make the scent last longer. I like DK Cashmere Mist as a powdery scent. It's been around a long time, but I was a late comer to it. And I've been wearing Parfums de Coeur's Wind Song body spray a lot lately - I'm no hater of inexpensive drugstore scents!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 2nd July 2010 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaLovesScent View Post
    ... Avon's Sweet Honesty...
    Whoa! Now there is a blast from the past! I never dreamed anyone here would have even heard of that stuff!

I remember one Auntie in particular, who kept giving it to me repeatedly, she thought it was the absolute pinnacle of appropriate fragrance for young girls!

But bless her heart, her efforts were in vain, and the bottles were smuggled out to be smilingly donated to a local charitable org.

Even then, I was a L'Heure Bleue girl, though several of my well-meaning classmates, redolent of Love's Baby Soft and Houbigant's Chantilly, took me aside, on more than one occasion, to inform me that I "smelled like incense" and was thus at risk for being suspected of having spent too much time in the local "head shop."

I don't mind smelling a bit like "baby powder" or "talcum powder", but it has to be high-class and complex powdery smell - like Guerlain's L'instant Magic. That has provoked remarks from women I dance with from, "Sorry, I'm distracted by how good you smell" to "You smell like talcum powder."
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Post Thanks / Like

I was remembering this thread when I wore some Shalimar eau de cologne one morning last week. It goes through a phase that reminds me of baby powder. I was thinking..."Hmm...maybe I really do like baby powder."
    Last edited by lilybelle; 5th July 2010 at 01:20 PM.

I adored Love's Baby Soft- both my daughters have worn it as well & my big one still does. I also had Love's Lemon- it was so pretty & simple! Right up there with my Jean Nate After-Bath-Splash for a refreshing summer scent I find powdery scents (or baby powdery scents) to be comforting and simple- surely an olfactory memory thing...also wish that J&J Baby Shampoo came in a perfume

If you love powdery scents, then Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige and i Profumi di Firenze Talco Delicato are the perfect high end perfume solution.

I found this to smell exactly like Talco Delicato for a fraction of the cost- very pretty fresh and long lasting.

http://www.charlottevaleallen.com/de...powder_oil.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    ...wish that J&J Baby Shampoo came in a perfume ...
    Doesn't Philosophy make one that kind of does that? I haven't tried any of them myself, but it seems like there is one I have smelled on other people that reminded me of baby shampoo, though I guess it could be a different brand. (different brand of baby shampoo, I mean).
    Last edited by cathodera; 7th July 2010 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cathodera View Post
    Doesn't Philosophy make one that kind of does that? I haven't tried any of them myself, but it seems like there is one I have smelled on other people that reminded me of baby shampoo, though I guess it could be a different brand. (different brand of baby shampoo, I mean).
    Oh I wonder if that is the Baby Grace? My daughters have both had that one...next time I'm in Sephora I will re-sniff! Sounds like a nice summer bedtime scent

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    I adored Love's Baby Soft- both my daughters have worn it as well & my big one still does. I also had Love's Lemon- it was so pretty & simple! Right up there with my Jean Nate After-Bath-Splash for a refreshing summer scent I find powdery scents (or baby powdery scents) to be comforting and simple- surely an olfactory memory thing...also wish that J&J Baby Shampoo came in a perfume

If you love powdery scents, then Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige and i Profumi di Firenze Talco Delicato are the perfect high end perfume solution.

I found this to smell exactly like Talco Delicato for a fraction of the cost- very pretty fresh and long lasting.

http://www.charlottevaleallen.com/de...powder_oil.htm

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread