Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 3, 2010 ★★★ GREEN

Hmm... maybe it was knit_at_nite I sent the Vivara sample to. (I purged some of my e-mails so I can't be sure.)...LOL... since we are a close-knit (pun intended) group here I bet someone will pipe up and say "it was me!")

Anyway..I'm thinking what samples I've been sent that are GREENS I can pull out for the evening. Hmm.

A-HA! LE TEMPS D'UNE FTE

Now, THAT Parfums de Nicolai scent is green-green-greenedy goodness that does sneak up (albeit quickly) on ya!

I agree with BayKat (who sent me the sample) this is St. Patrick's Day GREEN.

I can't agree with the comparisons to Chamade, as Chamade is way too faint on my skin for whatever reason. Which means that instead of Chamade, I may have to save up for a FB of Le Temps d'Une Fte
    Last edited by actiasluna; 3rd July 2010 at 09:43 PM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

I'm enjoying YSL Y (vintage edt) for the first time today thanks to a very kind and generous Basenoter. I find it a very lovely green chypre with a sweet streak throughout that makes it very approachable and easy to wear. I'm tempted to go check thEbay for bargains. Does anyone know how the current version compares?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

I started Sniff & Speak early, on Friday with Chanel #19. It opened into a green leather on me, quite naughty! I wouldn't want to be caught near office wearing that, nor the classroom...
    Then I had one deep whiff of Ma Griffe (older stuff) to compare... Ma Griffe is definitely a winner, love it so much!

So on Saturday, Sniff & Speak proper, I started with Annick Goutal Ninfeo Mio (thanks, dear kind friend!) and I am loving it. It's definitely green, twiggy, citruses of the top notes sparkled and stayed for a while... mmm... perfect Summer! Absolutely adorable! Based on notes I did not think I will like it, but I sure do!

Did not like Liz Earle Botanical Essence #1 though. And did not found it particularly green, so label aromatic seemed pretty misleading. But Ninfeo Mio fit the green bill for sure, and it lasts too! Score!

I will check in later with more.
    Last edited by Warum; 4th July 2010 at 12:30 AM.

The power of bleu

I'm wearing Bond High Line today. Looking at the notes, I realize that it is quite possible that some of you won't really consider this a true "green" scent. That's ok ... small steps for this admited greenphobic! Those classic green scents that so many of you wear and love just do not work out for me. As I wrote in the SOTD thread the first time I sampled High Line, never in a million years would I have thought I would like a fragrance with the word GRASS in the notes!

High Line contains top notes of purple love grass, bergamot, Indian rhubarb. The heart is red-leaf rose, Lady Jane tulips, and grape hyacinth. Base notes consist of bur oak and imported sea moss. (This, from the article written by Grant here on BN: http://www.basenotes.net/content/334...from-Bond-No-9 )

To me, High Line starts with a distinct grassy note but the rhubarb and the floral notes add both a tartness and a slight sweetness. My nose does not pick up any rose, the grape hyacinth (I think!) is the main floral note. It has a clean, almost astringent quality. Later, there definitely is a feeling of sea air and wood, reminding me of wooden boardwalks or decks near the ocean. It must work on my skin, because I get tons of compliments on this baby each and every time I wear it! I have fallen quite hard for this scent and have put it on the lust list. Definitely FBW.

I know that there is a lot of controversy regarding Bond on the board and throughout perfume boards and blogs. All I'm going to say on that subject is while I may not agree with the agressiveness and the way it was handled, I do understand why a perfume company would want control of exactly where and how their perfume was sold. It certainly won't stop me from enjoying this delightful greenish scent! And I love the bottle!

actiasluna, you wordsmith you, YES! it was me you generously graced with the teensy sample of Vivara concentree.

Queen Quarry- I bought un souris verte eau parfumee on Evil Bay used and cheap (even with shipping) because I wanted to try more from the house of Molinard and this one appealed to my kitschy inner self. You are prolly right that it's meant as a shower gift. The ingredients list alcohol, so wouldn't be for les petites, n'est pas? (Leave it to the french to think of perfume as a shower gift). My purchase came in an aging box which has a poem (song) printed inside and the bottle cap has a stuffed lime green mouse with pink eyes, and a 6 inch tail slipped onto it- further evidence of marketing madness. I thought about using mr mouse for a cat toy but, although removable, it's just too dang cute on the bottle.
    The juice is no joke, however. It's aromatic but NO lavender (if you don't like lavendar take note) It's got a slightly earthy feel from the basil, tomato leaf, but uplifting and comforting prolly due to a slight touch white flowers and the citruses. And although I could picture it being a nice choice for hot weather for someone with a baby bump, or a muffin top (like me)- it has definate unisex possibilities. And if you take it out of the box and remove the mouse, the bottle itself looks universally plain. I like it.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 4th July 2010 at 06:15 AM.

Blog Entries

I am checking back with DSH Celadon: A Velvet Green.
    It's strange to me and I'm not sure I like it at all. When I applied it first a while ago I dabbed very modestly and got a little touch of sweet grass and cucumber. I poured today, and I am haunted by violet leaves. Somehow though I am not refreshed. In fact, I think, that this would be unbearable in hot weather because it seems to have slightly suffocating quality.

On a happier note, let me tell you that lasting power of Ninfeo Mio is fantastic! I am not worried about it getting hot where I live (it cracks 80 once during the Summer and all natives go "ahhhhhhh so hot and humid" -- latter is crime and unforgivable for someone coming from St. Louis Missouri), so I don't really need a hot weather scent, but in Ninfeo Mio I found it. It never lost neither citruses nor the green twiggy quality on me. It was delightful. My crystal tells me that a decant will go fast, but the crystal is yet hesitant about the FB in future.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    My purchase came in an aging box which has a poem (song) printed inside and the bottle cap has a stuffed lime green mouse with pink eyes, and a 6 inch tail slipped onto it- further evidence of marketing madness.
    Thanks for filling in the details, K.
    Muffin top? That's a new expression for me. Is that how I'll recognize you? I think I'm kind of an apple fritter.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.― E.B. White

Blog Entries

(Vintage edt) Continuing with the Sniff 'n' Speak Green holiday weekend, I'm trying out another yet another classic chypre, Balmain Jolie Madame. LOVE the blast of neroli in the opening! DON'T love the sweet violet that arrives later. I really dislike violet in fragrances (and those violet candies-- nasty!), so I must with regret report that this one gets a thumbs down from me despite all the yummy leather and green notes that I'd otherwise find heavenly.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

This is a wonderful thread- YSL Y, Scherrer, Chamade, Jolie Madame, Ma Griffe, Heure Exquise, Vent Vert...all so luscious. Yes, green is my most favourite category.

I am seriously lemming Ninfeo Mio and love every description I've heard of it! The Souris Verte sounds so adorable and fresh- LOLing at marketing madness. Warum, your description of the Velvet Green being suffocating is the sensation I got from Temps d'Une Fete- as much as I loved it at first it was too tenacious.

I just spritzed on some Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint to cool down (its 35 celsius + here) and it manages to be a soft green flowery minty tea- quite soothing.

Waving back to Mimi, Quarry & Lilibelle- miss chatting with my kindred perfume hearts
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 4th July 2010 at 09:26 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

And I am continuing the green weekend... Cabotine (oh teh very greenness of it) and Vent Vert (d'oh... How Green Can You Go?) are two of my three scents of today (the other is Bijan, which I can't really pigeonhole, it kind of wanders about between a woody Chypre and an Oriental...

And with the eau de dill weed of pickling and the GREENNESS of tomato leaves on my skin and cucumbers sliced for pickling... the garden growing ever greener with the torrents of rain we've had the past two days... GREEN indeed. My 4th of July weekend is more GREEN than red white & blue, and that is fine with me.

Ah, Jane... sorry the Le Temps d'Une Fte is too tenacious on you... it is a lovely green!

And with all this talk of Ma Griffe, I might just have to end my day with the vintage on one wrist and the new form on the other!
    Last edited by actiasluna; 5th July 2010 at 01:15 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    RHM -- you get my vote for queen of green, in your Memory of Kindness!
    Thanks! It was quite refreshing. I should wear this more often.
    An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it makes a better soup.
    ― H.L. Mencken, A Book of Burlesques

Blog Entries

Celadon felt like someone was trying to make me comfy in the heat and they piled up warm feathery pillows, and piled them up, and piled them up... suffocating in a soft way, very innocuous at first! Didn't like it all that much.

Ended up wearing Ninfeo Mio again for our little party on the 4th of July. Lovely, indeed. But very strange, it needs a double application! After a first application it disappears too fast, so both times I reapplied in half an hour or so and then it stays after a second one. Never encountered that before -- but the need for a double application is definitely there.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Ended up wearing Ninfeo Mio again for our little party on the 4th of July. Lovely, indeed. But very strange, it needs a double application! After a first application it disappears too fast, so both times I reapplied in half an hour or so and then it stays after a second one. Never encountered that before -- but the need for a double application is definitely there.
    That's an interesting phenomenon. I look forward to sampling NM soon, and I'll keep that one-two punch in mind.

Thanks to everybody for growing this green thread.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.― E.B. White

Guest 3

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Thanks to everybody for growing this green thread.
    You're so cute. I love you, Quarry. ♥ ♥ ♥

Blog Entries

I wore Safari yesterday, one of my five star favorites, and discovered I was chypre-ed out. I found it raspy and annoying. At least this confirms that I could never pick a signature scent, or even a desert island trio. Like clothes, jewelry, and shoes, I gotta have a wide variety!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

"Chypre-ed out....chypre-ed out...."

You know, I recognize those words but they somehow don't make any sense to me!

eta - I meant to add something green! I'm in Quartz now, and it's quite green!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 6th July 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Yeah, Evangeline, I don' understan' those words either.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    Waving back to Mimi, Quarry & Lilibelle- miss chatting with my kindred perfume hearts
    *HUGS* We miss you too ,Jane !

I should wear my Penhaligon's Bluebell ! I haven't really worn that for a long while.
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    You're so cute.
    Ain't I???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    I wore Safari yesterday, one of my five star favorites, and discovered I was chypre-ed out. I found it raspy and annoying. At least this confirms that I could never pick a signature scent, or even a desert island trio. Like clothes, jewelry, and shoes, I gotta have a wide variety!
    I tried Safari too, but it was probably some evil reformulation, because I didn't smell anything like a chypre! (and I adore them). I know I should be liking Safari in theory, but I can't bring myself to actually liking it... sigh.

I LOVE Tilleul! Just got a decant and I think thats what I'll wear tommorrow (I was in the Alps with no computer anywhere near last Saturday. So I'm doing my sniff-n-speak tommorrow)

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I'm wearing a beautiful green floral that a special Basenotes friend shared with me. How many of you have tried D'Orsay Tilleul? I have fallen hard for it, as it brings to my mind the freedom and pleasure of playing outside on a warm, early summer day. Though the smell of linden is not one from my childhood, it evokes something very happy from deep within. The notes listed in the BN directory are lemon tree leaf, angelica, watermelon, lime blossom, cyclamen, beeswax, and acacia wood.

Painting by Max Liebermann

P.S. Hello to Jane. Good to see you!

Decided to do L't en Douce instead, which is also by Olivia Giacobetti and quite similar to Tilleul, I would say.

It's a wonderfully soft scent that smells of hay, but also has some florals and a hint of musk in the drydown. I wore it today in the scorching heat of Berlin and I have to say, it worked well. It immediately transports you to a countryside meadow and makes you fell like lying in the shade under a linden tree. It is never overbearing because it is is so soft and light. It continued to play peek-a-boo with me all day. Every now and then I'd catch a slight whiff - I love low key scents like that!

I remember first wearing it a few weeks ago when I was on a business trip to the Alps. I walked by a field of cut grass that had already turned a little sweet-smelling from lying there a day or two and thought: "Wow - this smells a lot like me!" I had carried it along as a sample since I like to travel light and I didn't want to drag along any full bottels. I ended up liking it more and more every day, it really grew on me. When I recently returned to the Alps again, I actually missed it! I think I'm getting a FB on this one!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I think any of us would have gladly given up internet access and SnS in favor of being in the Alps, Klute. Thanks for sharing your interpretation of Tilleul.