Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 3, 2010 ★★★ GREEN

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010
    Animalic Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010
    Chypre March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010
    Floral April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010
    Fruity May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010
    Citrus June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010
    Green July 2008, July 2009
    Fresh Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009
    Fougere Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009
    Ambery Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009
    Spicy Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009
    Gourmand Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 3, 2010 ★★★ GREEN

Hmmm, might be the time to dig out Vent Vert or Eau de Camille or one of the CdG Leaves Series scents or Ma Griffe or Sous le Buis or Sve Exquise or one of my vetivers or...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

I already have a plan for Sniff & Speak!
    I didn't order a sampler of greens from the Perfumed Court, but got some ideas for greens from them (from the deluxe green sampler, mainly). I got four samples (plenty for a Saturday!):

- Celadon : A Velvet Green by DSH Perfumes (an aromatic green classified by Fragrantica);
    - Botanical Essence No. 1 by Liz Earle (classified by Fragrantica as aromatic, mainly because bergamoth and lavender, I guess);
    - Chanel #19 -- I have a lovely sample of that;
    and ta-da!
    - Sous Le Vent. In fact, I think this one was included in TPC Green Sampler, and this finally convinced me in not buying a sampler (leave it for next July!) and trying what I have in the samples today.

Ok, this one is my really for real favorite.

I'm excited about this category because I am SO unfamiliar with green scents. Can't wait to expand my test list!

Looking forward to this one

I'm thinking either # 19, Sous le vent, Miss Dior, L'ombre dans l'eau....

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Ok, this one is my really for real favorite.
    You are starting to sound like our fragrance sistah in South Carolina! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    You are starting to sound like our fragrance sistah in South Carolina! ;-)
    I had her in mind - I miss her bounces. Where is Taolady?

Yes, Taolady, where ARE you???

Here I is! Here I is!!

Tearing myself away from my newest obsession - a pastime ('t's not even a GAME) called Baking Life on Facebook. TOTALLY mindless...

sorreee...

But I am gonna be there tomorrow with CdeG Lily from their Leaves series. On it's way to being the quintessential muguet it stays green long enough to qualify!!

GOSH I've missed you guys!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm wearing Gobin Daud Sve Exquise. I rarely wear this great beauty because it is discontinued. It's lush and chlorophyllic, a green gem.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Starting the day in Dior Homme EdC - not really a green, but so nice for a summer morning. Later switching over to Creed Original Vetiver. Doesn't get much greener than that. A summer favorite for me.

I'm wearing Shiseido Tactics. Splashed some on before bed to wake up in the mood for the Sniff 'n' Speak.

Very green and galbanum-y. In the A - Z Guide, Luca Turin claims he won the right to the last bottle of it by threatening to handcuff himself to the stairs at the Les Salons du Palais Royale. Well, it is still available in Japan!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Green. How do I love you? If there were no green scents or green influences insinuating into the other categories of scent, I simply wouldn't be a Basenoter, and perhaps not a perfumista at all.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: It took me years to recognize that green is the commonality amongst most of my preferred frags (green-floral, green-citrus, green-chypre, green-fruity), and I was always surprised when reading others' reviews that they mentioned green. It was not obvious to me, I just knew I liked a frag, and I thought it was for all its other elements, but there would be the reviewer's text talking about green.

For today, I'm wearing a relatively new acquaintance, Creed Aubepine Acacia, a scent that smells fine in the heat of summer, but promises to fit autumn-time. For all the sniffing I've done, this one honestly earns the attribute "unique." The bright, citrus opening is exhilarating, then a mild, masculine phase arrives. I don't have real-life points of reference to name what I'm smelling—maybe tobacco-like, but there's no warmth or smoke. Would that make it like green tobacco? I don't know. And then the scent wanders in and out of my awareness with a leather-like effect—oh, but of course, it's green leather; I almost forgot to mention that. AA makes for a wonderful and interesting companion.

Later I will ask DH to wear some. I think I would love it on a man. It's classy, but approachable — let's say, millionaire on the weekend.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Am NOT a changeable, fickle Gemini/Snake for nothing. Nosireee.

Decided against gentle Lily and am instead opting for....

...which gets all kinds mixed reactions here.

On this Doyenne d'un Age Certaine it starts off quite cedar-y but gets down and dirty in a fairly short while. I just LUV it.

So - in order to stay true to the spirit of the day - I'll prolly change up later. Much later. This stuff has tenacity!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by TaoLady View Post
    Here I is! Here I is!!

Tearing myself away from my newest obsession - a pastime ('t's not even a GAME) called Baking Life on Facebook. TOTALLY mindless...

sorreee...

But I am gonna be there tomorrow with CdeG Lily from their Leaves series. On it's way to being the quintessential muguet it stays green long enough to qualify!!

GOSH I've missed you guys!
    Whew! Thank goodness!

SotM...

Emilio Pucci
    Vivara

(2007)
    Amaretto, galbanum, bergamot, orange blossom, jasmine, narcissus, patchouli, iris and vetiver.

This fragrance never ever fails to put a smile on my face. It is the scent of idyllic summer sunshine and happiness to me. I can even hear the sea breeze and the birds singing. It really does make you feel like you're in an Italian seaside resort town. The green is vivid and lively, the florals are clear and sweet. The almond note is soft, and the patchouli is muted. It is modern and a bit sheerer than its retro floral-chypre vibe would lead you to expect – but this is better for today’s wearer, to be honest, than classic chypres that have been reformulated, or vintage bottles that have gone off. They got this one just right.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd July 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Basenotes Plus

cbihateperfume, Memory of Kindness, all tomato vines, leaves & earth.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Seeing as how GREEN is my fave fragrance family I just noticed the S&S thread and had to jump in. Life has been a busy whirlwind that has distracted me from my perfume hobby lol.

I am scent twins with Quarry in the delectable Creed Aubepine Acacia....one of Brigitte Bardot's favourites allegedly? If it is possible for a green scent to be an earthy & sexy skin scent while still being cool & fresh, AA manages it beautifully. So perfect for the sunny 30 degrees celsius + weather today. Smells like a beach in the south of France to me

When the AA wears off I will switch to my other hot weather fave, Sisley Eau de Campagne which is like a cool green shower in the shade, again somewhere in France

Of course, Vent Vert is my green HG but I have been giving it lots of love lately. Perhaps today we can all feel like her:

Last edited by Jane Daly; 3rd July 2010 at 05:58 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Institution

Good to hear from you Jane - take care !
    Today I am wearing Temple Of Musk by Strange Invisible Perfumes which has a fab chilly sappy green opening so I can join in with Sniff n Speak.

Aubepine-Acacia is wonderful. Vivara sounds very tempting too Lilybelle .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Chamade. What can I say? Mon coeur bat la chamade - and whose heart could resist in the presence of such a beauty?
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Started out the day with a dab of Khus (Dry Grass) attar, un-named maker. It's not the usual vivid green oil you get, but ambery, and it does smell remarkably like dried vetiver root. It's bracing, cooling and grassy, like meadow grass after a long hot summer. Not quite dried out to hay, but no longer sappy green. I use this a lot dropped into a bath and it makes for the most wonderfully fragrant steam.

Added some Hermes Un Jardin Apres Le Mousson for the afternoon.

top notes: Sweet Lime, Ginger, Green Notes
    middle notes: Coriander, Pepper, Cardamom, Aquatic Notes
    base notes: Vetiver, Ginger Lily

I think this is probably the least green of the Un Jardin trio, but I haven't spent a lot of time with the others, because this one just puts such a silly grin on my face. The notes read very green, but it dots about over the colours of a ripening mango skin; fresh greens, apricotty pinks, blush yellow. No mango though, instead, lush and frothy spiced melon, like a $10 iced melon chai smoothie. Because of the association I find it very urban!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    I am scent twins with Quarry in the delectable Creed Aubepine Acacia....one of Brigitte Bardot's favourites allegedly?
    Not just twins … I'm kinda your, um, clone(?), seeing as this lovely Acacia juice came from you. Thank you very much!
    Aside from that, it's simply wonderful to see your lovely face here again, Jane. I hope the whirlwind is all good stuff.

Basenotes Plus

starting off today in Molinard's Une Souris Verte

Top notes are cedar, basil, rosemary, tomato leaf, lemon verbena and artemisia; middle notes are cypress, lily-of-the-valley, freesia and orange blossom; base notes are vetiver, brazilian rosewood and honey
    Last edited by knit at nite; 3rd July 2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added notes
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I'm wearing a beautiful green floral that a special Basenotes friend shared with me. How many of you have tried D'Orsay Tilleul? I have fallen hard for it, as it brings to my mind the freedom and pleasure of playing outside on a warm, early summer day. Though the smell of linden is not one from my childhood, it evokes something very happy from deep within. The notes listed in the BN directory are lemon tree leaf, angelica, watermelon, lime blossom, cyclamen, beeswax, and acacia wood.

Painting by Max Liebermann

P.S. Hello to Jane. Good to see you!
    Last edited by Haunani; 3rd July 2010 at 08:50 PM.

SotM...

Emilio Pucci
    Vivara

(2007)
    Amaretto, galbanum, bergamot, orange blossom, jasmine, narcissus, patchouli, iris and vetiver.

This fragrance never ever fails to put a smile on my face. It is the scent of idyllic summer sunshine and happiness to me. I can even hear the sea breeze and the birds singing. It really does make you feel like you're in an Italian seaside resort town. The green is vivid and lively, the florals are clear and sweet. The almond note is soft, and the patchouli is muted. It is modern and a bit sheerer than its retro floral-chypre vibe would lead you to expect but this is better for todays wearer, to be honest, than classic chypres that have been reformulated, or vintage bottles that have gone off. They got this one just right.
    I am (albeit retro) scent twins to you today in this version:

Basenotes lists the notes as Lemon, Bergamot, Cypress, May Rose, Bulgarian Rose, Sandalwood Mysore, Labdanum.

I'm thinking that the topnotes (this little bottle of concentre is, after all from 1967) might be a little gone, but there's still life in the mid and base. Doesn't smell like 'old perfume' on my skin... and it still has a green "kick" though without too much of the lemon/bergamot. With a labdanum base (that's one of my faves as it is so complex and like this juice, a "golden/amber" smell.)

What were your impressions of the vintage concentr (it was you that I sent that TEENSY sample to, lilybelle, yes?

I also like how the bottle is reminiscent of the vintage, albeit with green added to the Pop-Art design.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Greens, my favorite... floral greens, herbal greens -- this summer has been all about exploring green for me! So today Im having a Big Green Party.

Although to the casual observer I had a lazy morning (my green party going undetected by DH) I was wearing Eau de Campagne on one arm, Vent Vert on the other. Later, Coty's Muguet des Bois (a green lily-of-the-valley) and finally the very strange and neon yellow-green Eau Illuminee by Delrae (on me Delrae must be applied VERY lightly or it's screaming in my ear. In my nose? Whatever. Bergamot, Basil / Lavender, Wild Aromatic Herbs / Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Orris. Although designated a feminine scent by Delrae, to me it seems very masculine. Must be the lavender.)

Now after a shower Im settled in with layered current/vintage Ma Griffe. Lovely... This may be my favorite green... unless its Y. Hmmmm.

Tonight will go more opulent floral-green with Heure Exquise.

You make that Tilleul sound so good Huanani, ... I've put a sample in my BeautyEncounter shopping bag.
    Also putting the Vivara on my to try list.
    RHM -- you get my vote for queen of green, in your Memory of Kindness!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    starting off today in Molinard's Une Souris Verte

Top notes are cedar, basil, rosemary, tomato leaf, lemon verbena and artemisia; middle notes are cypress, lily-of-the-valley, freesia and orange blossom; base notes are vetiver, brazilian rosewood and honey
    I had never heard of this one and had to look it up to learn it is "A Green Mouse." What are your impressions, knit?
    Just searched around and had Google translate the Molinard site. I'm guessing the boxed set with bib is intended for something like a baby shower gift, but the translation comes across as "Birth Without Alcohol."
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd July 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi everyone!

I hadn't even realized it was green SNS day, but I'm quite luckily wearing one of my favorite greens, Fou d'Absinthe.

Complete lunatic weirdness with L'Artisan at its most artful. It's a confusing, sparkling mix of green absinth, sweaty herbs, and pine that deftly rides the line between sweet and ugly that I can't understand for the life of me but enjoy nonetheless.

But you guys have officially made me want to dig out my Aubepine Acacia sample, so I'll have to put some on later...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

SotE = Jean-Louis Scherrer, from a sample.

It’s all soapy green galbanum in the beginning (like Irish Spring soap). Then it starts to unfold. This type of deep, mossy green scent brings me down to earth and makes me feel a bit more serious. It’s a sit-up-and-behave-yourself/go-comb-your-hair type of fragrance, not a bad thing at my age, but not the type of fragrance I’d reach for unless I were in a mature and sophisticated mood (rare, but it does happen).

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Vivara sounds very tempting too Lilybelle .
    I think you’d like this one, Mimi.

**Waving** to Jane. It’s good to see you!

Haunani, that is a lovely painting. I wish I could step right into it.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    …What were your impressions of the vintage concentr (it was you that I sent that TEENSY sample to, lilybelle, yes?
    No, sweetie, I don’t think so. I will re-check my samples, but maybe you’re thinking of someone else? I am nevertheless honored to be your scent twin.

This is a great SnS today, lots of variety here, even vintage and modern reformulations of the same fragrance. Leaning in to give everyone a good, close sniff here.

Enjoy the evening, and wishing all my fellow Americans a happy and safe Independence Day.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd July 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Hmm... maybe it was knit_at_nite I sent the Vivara sample to. (I purged some of my e-mails so I can't be sure.)...LOL... since we are a close-knit (pun intended) group here I bet someone will pipe up and say "it was me!")

Anyway..I'm thinking what samples I've been sent that are GREENS I can pull out for the evening. Hmm.

A-HA! LE TEMPS D'UNE FTE

Now, THAT Parfums de Nicolai scent is green-green-greenedy goodness that does sneak up (albeit quickly) on ya!

I agree with BayKat (who sent me the sample) this is St. Patrick's Day GREEN.

I can't agree with the comparisons to Chamade, as Chamade is way too faint on my skin for whatever reason. Which means that instead of Chamade, I may have to save up for a FB of Le Temps d'Une Fte
    Last edited by actiasluna; 3rd July 2010 at 10:43 PM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Blog Entries

I'm enjoying YSL Y (vintage edt) for the first time today thanks to a very kind and generous Basenoter. I find it a very lovely green chypre with a sweet streak throughout that makes it very approachable and easy to wear. I'm tempted to go check thEbay for bargains. Does anyone know how the current version compares?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

I started Sniff & Speak early, on Friday with Chanel #19. It opened into a green leather on me, quite naughty! I wouldn't want to be caught near office wearing that, nor the classroom...
    Then I had one deep whiff of Ma Griffe (older stuff) to compare... Ma Griffe is definitely a winner, love it so much!

So on Saturday, Sniff & Speak proper, I started with Annick Goutal Ninfeo Mio (thanks, dear kind friend!) and I am loving it. It's definitely green, twiggy, citruses of the top notes sparkled and stayed for a while... mmm... perfect Summer! Absolutely adorable! Based on notes I did not think I will like it, but I sure do!

Did not like Liz Earle Botanical Essence #1 though. And did not found it particularly green, so label aromatic seemed pretty misleading. But Ninfeo Mio fit the green bill for sure, and it lasts too! Score!

I will check in later with more.
    Last edited by Warum; 4th July 2010 at 01:30 AM.

I'm wearing Bond High Line today. Looking at the notes, I realize that it is quite possible that some of you won't really consider this a true "green" scent. That's ok ... small steps for this admited greenphobic! Those classic green scents that so many of you wear and love just do not work out for me. As I wrote in the SOTD thread the first time I sampled High Line, never in a million years would I have thought I would like a fragrance with the word GRASS in the notes!

High Line contains top notes of purple love grass, bergamot, Indian rhubarb. The heart is red-leaf rose, Lady Jane tulips, and grape hyacinth. Base notes consist of bur oak and imported sea moss. (This, from the article written by Grant here on BN: http://www.basenotes.net/content/334...from-Bond-No-9 )

To me, High Line starts with a distinct grassy note but the rhubarb and the floral notes add both a tartness and a slight sweetness. My nose does not pick up any rose, the grape hyacinth (I think!) is the main floral note. It has a clean, almost astringent quality. Later, there definitely is a feeling of sea air and wood, reminding me of wooden boardwalks or decks near the ocean. It must work on my skin, because I get tons of compliments on this baby each and every time I wear it! I have fallen quite hard for this scent and have put it on the lust list. Definitely FBW.

I know that there is a lot of controversy regarding Bond on the board and throughout perfume boards and blogs. All I'm going to say on that subject is while I may not agree with the agressiveness and the way it was handled, I do understand why a perfume company would want control of exactly where and how their perfume was sold. It certainly won't stop me from enjoying this delightful greenish scent! And I love the bottle!

Basenotes Plus

actiasluna, you wordsmith you, YES! it was me you generously graced with the teensy sample of Vivara concentree.

Queen Quarry- I bought un souris verte eau parfumee on Evil Bay used and cheap (even with shipping) because I wanted to try more from the house of Molinard and this one appealed to my kitschy inner self. You are prolly right that it's meant as a shower gift. The ingredients list alcohol, so wouldn't be for les petites, n'est pas? (Leave it to the french to think of perfume as a shower gift). My purchase came in an aging box which has a poem (song) printed inside and the bottle cap has a stuffed lime green mouse with pink eyes, and a 6 inch tail slipped onto it- further evidence of marketing madness. I thought about using mr mouse for a cat toy but, although removable, it's just too dang cute on the bottle.
    The juice is no joke, however. It's aromatic but NO lavender (if you don't like lavendar take note) It's got a slightly earthy feel from the basil, tomato leaf, but uplifting and comforting prolly due to a slight touch white flowers and the citruses. And although I could picture it being a nice choice for hot weather for someone with a baby bump, or a muffin top (like me)- it has definate unisex possibilities. And if you take it out of the box and remove the mouse, the bottle itself looks universally plain. I like it.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 4th July 2010 at 07:15 AM.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

I am checking back with DSH Celadon: A Velvet Green.
    It's strange to me and I'm not sure I like it at all. When I applied it first a while ago I dabbed very modestly and got a little touch of sweet grass and cucumber. I poured today, and I am haunted by violet leaves. Somehow though I am not refreshed. In fact, I think, that this would be unbearable in hot weather because it seems to have slightly suffocating quality.

On a happier note, let me tell you that lasting power of Ninfeo Mio is fantastic! I am not worried about it getting hot where I live (it cracks 80 once during the Summer and all natives go "ahhhhhhh so hot and humid" -- latter is crime and unforgivable for someone coming from St. Louis Missouri), so I don't really need a hot weather scent, but in Ninfeo Mio I found it. It never lost neither citruses nor the green twiggy quality on me. It was delightful. My crystal tells me that a decant will go fast, but the crystal is yet hesitant about the FB in future.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    My purchase came in an aging box which has a poem (song) printed inside and the bottle cap has a stuffed lime green mouse with pink eyes, and a 6 inch tail slipped onto it- further evidence of marketing madness.
    Thanks for filling in the details, K.
    Muffin top? That's a new expression for me. Is that how I'll recognize you? I think I'm kind of an apple fritter.

Blog Entries

(Vintage edt) Continuing with the Sniff 'n' Speak Green holiday weekend, I'm trying out another yet another classic chypre, Balmain Jolie Madame. LOVE the blast of neroli in the opening! DON'T love the sweet violet that arrives later. I really dislike violet in fragrances (and those violet candies-- nasty!), so I must with regret report that this one gets a thumbs down from me despite all the yummy leather and green notes that I'd otherwise find heavenly.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

This is a wonderful thread- YSL Y, Scherrer, Chamade, Jolie Madame, Ma Griffe, Heure Exquise, Vent Vert...all so luscious. Yes, green is my most favourite category.

I am seriously lemming Ninfeo Mio and love every description I've heard of it! The Souris Verte sounds so adorable and fresh- LOLing at marketing madness. Warum, your description of the Velvet Green being suffocating is the sensation I got from Temps d'Une Fete- as much as I loved it at first it was too tenacious.

I just spritzed on some Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint to cool down (its 35 celsius + here) and it manages to be a soft green flowery minty tea- quite soothing.

Waving back to Mimi, Quarry & Lilibelle- miss chatting with my kindred perfume hearts
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 4th July 2010 at 10:26 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

And I am continuing the green weekend... Cabotine (oh teh very greenness of it) and Vent Vert (d'oh... How Green Can You Go?) are two of my three scents of today (the other is Bijan, which I can't really pigeonhole, it kind of wanders about between a woody Chypre and an Oriental...

And with the eau de dill weed of pickling and the GREENNESS of tomato leaves on my skin and cucumbers sliced for pickling... the garden growing ever greener with the torrents of rain we've had the past two days... GREEN indeed. My 4th of July weekend is more GREEN than red white & blue, and that is fine with me.

Ah, Jane... sorry the Le Temps d'Une Fte is too tenacious on you... it is a lovely green!

And with all this talk of Ma Griffe, I might just have to end my day with the vintage on one wrist and the new form on the other!
    Last edited by actiasluna; 5th July 2010 at 02:15 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    RHM -- you get my vote for queen of green, in your Memory of Kindness!
    Thanks! It was quite refreshing. I should wear this more often.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Celadon felt like someone was trying to make me comfy in the heat and they piled up warm feathery pillows, and piled them up, and piled them up... suffocating in a soft way, very innocuous at first! Didn't like it all that much.

Ended up wearing Ninfeo Mio again for our little party on the 4th of July. Lovely, indeed. But very strange, it needs a double application! After a first application it disappears too fast, so both times I reapplied in half an hour or so and then it stays after a second one. Never encountered that before -- but the need for a double application is definitely there.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Ended up wearing Ninfeo Mio again for our little party on the 4th of July. Lovely, indeed. But very strange, it needs a double application! After a first application it disappears too fast, so both times I reapplied in half an hour or so and then it stays after a second one. Never encountered that before -- but the need for a double application is definitely there.
    That's an interesting phenomenon. I look forward to sampling NM soon, and I'll keep that one-two punch in mind.

Thanks to everybody for growing this green thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Thanks to everybody for growing this green thread.
    You're so cute. I love you, Quarry. ♥ ♥ ♥

Blog Entries

I wore Safari yesterday, one of my five star favorites, and discovered I was chypre-ed out. I found it raspy and annoying. At least this confirms that I could never pick a signature scent, or even a desert island trio. Like clothes, jewelry, and shoes, I gotta have a wide variety!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

"Chypre-ed out....chypre-ed out...."

You know, I recognize those words but they somehow don't make any sense to me!

eta - I meant to add something green! I'm in Quartz now, and it's quite green!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 6th July 2010 at 11:51 PM.

Yeah, Evangeline, I don' understan' those words either.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    Waving back to Mimi, Quarry & Lilibelle- miss chatting with my kindred perfume hearts
    *HUGS* We miss you too ,Jane !

I should wear my Penhaligon's Bluebell ! I haven't really worn that for a long while.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

You're so cute.
    Ain't I???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    I wore Safari yesterday, one of my five star favorites, and discovered I was chypre-ed out. I found it raspy and annoying. At least this confirms that I could never pick a signature scent, or even a desert island trio. Like clothes, jewelry, and shoes, I gotta have a wide variety!
    I tried Safari too, but it was probably some evil reformulation, because I didn't smell anything like a chypre! (and I adore them). I know I should be liking Safari in theory, but I can't bring myself to actually liking it... sigh.

I LOVE Tilleul! Just got a decant and I think thats what I'll wear tommorrow (I was in the Alps with no computer anywhere near last Saturday. So I'm doing my sniff-n-speak tommorrow)

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I'm wearing a beautiful green floral that a special Basenotes friend shared with me. How many of you have tried D'Orsay Tilleul? I have fallen hard for it, as it brings to my mind the freedom and pleasure of playing outside on a warm, early summer day. Though the smell of linden is not one from my childhood, it evokes something very happy from deep within. The notes listed in the BN directory are lemon tree leaf, angelica, watermelon, lime blossom, cyclamen, beeswax, and acacia wood.

Painting by Max Liebermann

P.S. Hello to Jane. Good to see you!

Decided to do L't en Douce instead, which is also by Olivia Giacobetti and quite similar to Tilleul, I would say.

It's a wonderfully soft scent that smells of hay, but also has some florals and a hint of musk in the drydown. I wore it today in the scorching heat of Berlin and I have to say, it worked well. It immediately transports you to a countryside meadow and makes you fell like lying in the shade under a linden tree. It is never overbearing because it is is so soft and light. It continued to play peek-a-boo with me all day. Every now and then I'd catch a slight whiff - I love low key scents like that!

I remember first wearing it a few weeks ago when I was on a business trip to the Alps. I walked by a field of cut grass that had already turned a little sweet-smelling from lying there a day or two and thought: "Wow - this smells a lot like me!" I had carried it along as a sample since I like to travel light and I didn't want to drag along any full bottels. I ended up liking it more and more every day, it really grew on me. When I recently returned to the Alps again, I actually missed it! I think I'm getting a FB on this one!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I think any of us would have gladly given up internet access and SnS in favor of being in the Alps, Klute. Thanks for sharing your interpretation of Tilleul.