Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 3, 2010 ★★★ GREEN

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010
    Animalic Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010
    Chypre March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010
    Floral April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010
    Fruity May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010
    Citrus June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010
    Green July 2008, July 2009
    Fresh Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009
    Fougere Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009
    Ambery Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009
    Spicy Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009
    Gourmand Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 3, 2010 ★★★ GREEN

Hmmm, might be the time to dig out Vent Vert or Eau de Camille or one of the CdG Leaves Series scents or Ma Griffe or Sous le Buis or Sve Exquise or one of my vetivers or...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

I already have a plan for Sniff & Speak!
    I didn't order a sampler of greens from the Perfumed Court, but got some ideas for greens from them (from the deluxe green sampler, mainly). I got four samples (plenty for a Saturday!):

- Celadon : A Velvet Green by DSH Perfumes (an aromatic green classified by Fragrantica);
    - Botanical Essence No. 1 by Liz Earle (classified by Fragrantica as aromatic, mainly because bergamoth and lavender, I guess);
    - Chanel #19 -- I have a lovely sample of that;
    and ta-da!
    - Sous Le Vent. In fact, I think this one was included in TPC Green Sampler, and this finally convinced me in not buying a sampler (leave it for next July!) and trying what I have in the samples today.

Ok, this one is my really for real favorite.

I'm excited about this category because I am SO unfamiliar with green scents. Can't wait to expand my test list!

Looking forward to this one

I'm thinking either # 19, Sous le vent, Miss Dior, L'ombre dans l'eau....
    Currently wearing: Bois des les by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Ok, this one is my really for real favorite.
    You are starting to sound like our fragrance sistah in South Carolina! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    You are starting to sound like our fragrance sistah in South Carolina! ;-)
    I had her in mind - I miss her bounces. Where is Taolady?

Yes, Taolady, where ARE you???

Here I is! Here I is!!

Tearing myself away from my newest obsession - a pastime ('t's not even a GAME) called Baking Life on Facebook. TOTALLY mindless...

sorreee...

But I am gonna be there tomorrow with CdeG Lily from their Leaves series. On it's way to being the quintessential muguet it stays green long enough to qualify!!

GOSH I've missed you guys!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

I'm wearing Gobin Daud Sve Exquise. I rarely wear this great beauty because it is discontinued. It's lush and chlorophyllic, a green gem.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Starting the day in Dior Homme EdC - not really a green, but so nice for a summer morning. Later switching over to Creed Original Vetiver. Doesn't get much greener than that. A summer favorite for me.

I'm wearing Shiseido Tactics. Splashed some on before bed to wake up in the mood for the Sniff 'n' Speak.

Very green and galbanum-y. In the A - Z Guide, Luca Turin claims he won the right to the last bottle of it by threatening to handcuff himself to the stairs at the Les Salons du Palais Royale. Well, it is still available in Japan!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Green. How do I love you? If there were no green scents or green influences insinuating into the other categories of scent, I simply wouldn't be a Basenoter, and perhaps not a perfumista at all.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: It took me years to recognize that green is the commonality amongst most of my preferred frags (green-floral, green-citrus, green-chypre, green-fruity), and I was always surprised when reading others' reviews that they mentioned green. It was not obvious to me, I just knew I liked a frag, and I thought it was for all its other elements, but there would be the reviewer's text talking about green.

For today, I'm wearing a relatively new acquaintance, Creed Aubepine Acacia, a scent that smells fine in the heat of summer, but promises to fit autumn-time. For all the sniffing I've done, this one honestly earns the attribute "unique." The bright, citrus opening is exhilarating, then a mild, masculine phase arrives. I don't have real-life points of reference to name what I'm smelling—maybe tobacco-like, but there's no warmth or smoke. Would that make it like green tobacco? I don't know. And then the scent wanders in and out of my awareness with a leather-like effect—oh, but of course, it's green leather; I almost forgot to mention that. AA makes for a wonderful and interesting companion.

Later I will ask DH to wear some. I think I would love it on a man. It's classy, but approachable — let's say, millionaire on the weekend.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Am NOT a changeable, fickle Gemini/Snake for nothing. Nosireee.

Decided against gentle Lily and am instead opting for....

...which gets all kinds mixed reactions here.

On this Doyenne d'un Age Certaine it starts off quite cedar-y but gets down and dirty in a fairly short while. I just LUV it.

So - in order to stay true to the spirit of the day - I'll prolly change up later. Much later. This stuff has tenacity!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by TaoLady View Post
    Here I is! Here I is!!

Tearing myself away from my newest obsession - a pastime ('t's not even a GAME) called Baking Life on Facebook. TOTALLY mindless...

sorreee...

But I am gonna be there tomorrow with CdeG Lily from their Leaves series. On it's way to being the quintessential muguet it stays green long enough to qualify!!

GOSH I've missed you guys!
    Whew! Thank goodness!

SotM...

Emilio Pucci
    Vivara

(2007)
    Amaretto, galbanum, bergamot, orange blossom, jasmine, narcissus, patchouli, iris and vetiver.

This fragrance never ever fails to put a smile on my face. It is the scent of idyllic summer sunshine and happiness to me. I can even hear the sea breeze and the birds singing. It really does make you feel like you're in an Italian seaside resort town. The green is vivid and lively, the florals are clear and sweet. The almond note is soft, and the patchouli is muted. It is modern and a bit sheerer than its retro floral-chypre vibe would lead you to expect – but this is better for today’s wearer, to be honest, than classic chypres that have been reformulated, or vintage bottles that have gone off. They got this one just right.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd July 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Blog Entries

cbihateperfume, Memory of Kindness, all tomato vines, leaves & earth.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

Seeing as how GREEN is my fave fragrance family I just noticed the S&S thread and had to jump in. Life has been a busy whirlwind that has distracted me from my perfume hobby lol.

I am scent twins with Quarry in the delectable Creed Aubepine Acacia....one of Brigitte Bardot's favourites allegedly? If it is possible for a green scent to be an earthy & sexy skin scent while still being cool & fresh, AA manages it beautifully. So perfect for the sunny 30 degrees celsius + weather today. Smells like a beach in the south of France to me

When the AA wears off I will switch to my other hot weather fave, Sisley Eau de Campagne which is like a cool green shower in the shade, again somewhere in France

Of course, Vent Vert is my green HG but I have been giving it lots of love lately. Perhaps today we can all feel like her:

Last edited by Jane Daly; 3rd July 2010 at 04:58 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Institution

Good to hear from you Jane - take care !
    Today I am wearing Temple Of Musk by Strange Invisible Perfumes which has a fab chilly sappy green opening so I can join in with Sniff n Speak.

Aubepine-Acacia is wonderful. Vivara sounds very tempting too Lilybelle .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Chamade. What can I say? Mon coeur bat la chamade - and whose heart could resist in the presence of such a beauty?
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

Started out the day with a dab of Khus (Dry Grass) attar, un-named maker. It's not the usual vivid green oil you get, but ambery, and it does smell remarkably like dried vetiver root. It's bracing, cooling and grassy, like meadow grass after a long hot summer. Not quite dried out to hay, but no longer sappy green. I use this a lot dropped into a bath and it makes for the most wonderfully fragrant steam.

Added some Hermes Un Jardin Apres Le Mousson for the afternoon.

top notes: Sweet Lime, Ginger, Green Notes
    middle notes: Coriander, Pepper, Cardamom, Aquatic Notes
    base notes: Vetiver, Ginger Lily

I think this is probably the least green of the Un Jardin trio, but I haven't spent a lot of time with the others, because this one just puts such a silly grin on my face. The notes read very green, but it dots about over the colours of a ripening mango skin; fresh greens, apricotty pinks, blush yellow. No mango though, instead, lush and frothy spiced melon, like a $10 iced melon chai smoothie. Because of the association I find it very urban!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    I am scent twins with Quarry in the delectable Creed Aubepine Acacia....one of Brigitte Bardot's favourites allegedly?
    Not just twins … I'm kinda your, um, clone(?), seeing as this lovely Acacia juice came from you. Thank you very much!
    Aside from that, it's simply wonderful to see your lovely face here again, Jane. I hope the whirlwind is all good stuff.

starting off today in Molinard's Une Souris Verte

Top notes are cedar, basil, rosemary, tomato leaf, lemon verbena and artemisia; middle notes are cypress, lily-of-the-valley, freesia and orange blossom; base notes are vetiver, brazilian rosewood and honey
    Last edited by knit at nite; 3rd July 2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added notes
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

I'm wearing a beautiful green floral that a special Basenotes friend shared with me. How many of you have tried D'Orsay Tilleul? I have fallen hard for it, as it brings to my mind the freedom and pleasure of playing outside on a warm, early summer day. Though the smell of linden is not one from my childhood, it evokes something very happy from deep within. The notes listed in the BN directory are lemon tree leaf, angelica, watermelon, lime blossom, cyclamen, beeswax, and acacia wood.

Painting by Max Liebermann

P.S. Hello to Jane. Good to see you!
    Last edited by Haunani; 3rd July 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    SotM...

Emilio Pucci
    Vivara

(2007)
    Amaretto, galbanum, bergamot, orange blossom, jasmine, narcissus, patchouli, iris and vetiver.

This fragrance never ever fails to put a smile on my face. It is the scent of idyllic summer sunshine and happiness to me. I can even hear the sea breeze and the birds singing. It really does make you feel like you're in an Italian seaside resort town. The green is vivid and lively, the florals are clear and sweet. The almond note is soft, and the patchouli is muted. It is modern and a bit sheerer than its retro floral-chypre vibe would lead you to expect but this is better for todays wearer, to be honest, than classic chypres that have been reformulated, or vintage bottles that have gone off. They got this one just right.
    I am (albeit retro) scent twins to you today in this version:

Basenotes lists the notes as Lemon, Bergamot, Cypress, May Rose, Bulgarian Rose, Sandalwood Mysore, Labdanum.

I'm thinking that the topnotes (this little bottle of concentre is, after all from 1967) might be a little gone, but there's still life in the mid and base. Doesn't smell like 'old perfume' on my skin... and it still has a green "kick" though without too much of the lemon/bergamot. With a labdanum base (that's one of my faves as it is so complex and like this juice, a "golden/amber" smell.)

What were your impressions of the vintage concentr (it was you that I sent that TEENSY sample to, lilybelle, yes?

I also like how the bottle is reminiscent of the vintage, albeit with green added to the Pop-Art design.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Greens, my favorite... floral greens, herbal greens -- this summer has been all about exploring green for me! So today Im having a Big Green Party.

Although to the casual observer I had a lazy morning (my green party going undetected by DH) I was wearing Eau de Campagne on one arm, Vent Vert on the other. Later, Coty's Muguet des Bois (a green lily-of-the-valley) and finally the very strange and neon yellow-green Eau Illuminee by Delrae (on me Delrae must be applied VERY lightly or it's screaming in my ear. In my nose? Whatever. Bergamot, Basil / Lavender, Wild Aromatic Herbs / Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Orris. Although designated a feminine scent by Delrae, to me it seems very masculine. Must be the lavender.)

Now after a shower Im settled in with layered current/vintage Ma Griffe. Lovely... This may be my favorite green... unless its Y. Hmmmm.

Tonight will go more opulent floral-green with Heure Exquise.

You make that Tilleul sound so good Huanani, ... I've put a sample in my BeautyEncounter shopping bag.
    Also putting the Vivara on my to try list.
    RHM -- you get my vote for queen of green, in your Memory of Kindness!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    starting off today in Molinard's Une Souris Verte

Top notes are cedar, basil, rosemary, tomato leaf, lemon verbena and artemisia; middle notes are cypress, lily-of-the-valley, freesia and orange blossom; base notes are vetiver, brazilian rosewood and honey
    I had never heard of this one and had to look it up to learn it is "A Green Mouse." What are your impressions, knit?
    Just searched around and had Google translate the Molinard site. I'm guessing the boxed set with bib is intended for something like a baby shower gift, but the translation comes across as "Birth Without Alcohol."
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd July 2010 at 08:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi everyone!

I hadn't even realized it was green SNS day, but I'm quite luckily wearing one of my favorite greens, Fou d'Absinthe.

Complete lunatic weirdness with L'Artisan at its most artful. It's a confusing, sparkling mix of green absinth, sweaty herbs, and pine that deftly rides the line between sweet and ugly that I can't understand for the life of me but enjoy nonetheless.

But you guys have officially made me want to dig out my Aubepine Acacia sample, so I'll have to put some on later...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

SotE = Jean-Louis Scherrer, from a sample.

It’s all soapy green galbanum in the beginning (like Irish Spring soap). Then it starts to unfold. This type of deep, mossy green scent brings me down to earth and makes me feel a bit more serious. It’s a sit-up-and-behave-yourself/go-comb-your-hair type of fragrance, not a bad thing at my age, but not the type of fragrance I’d reach for unless I were in a mature and sophisticated mood (rare, but it does happen).

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Vivara sounds very tempting too Lilybelle .
    I think you’d like this one, Mimi.

**Waving** to Jane. It’s good to see you!

Haunani, that is a lovely painting. I wish I could step right into it.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    …What were your impressions of the vintage concentr (it was you that I sent that TEENSY sample to, lilybelle, yes?
    No, sweetie, I don’t think so. I will re-check my samples, but maybe you’re thinking of someone else? I am nevertheless honored to be your scent twin.

This is a great SnS today, lots of variety here, even vintage and modern reformulations of the same fragrance. Leaning in to give everyone a good, close sniff here.

Enjoy the evening, and wishing all my fellow Americans a happy and safe Independence Day.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd July 2010 at 09:07 PM.