Code of Conduct

Default Question about fragrance longevity

Hi guys,

I understand that people with oily skin get more longevity out of their fragrance than those with dry skin.

So, I wonder if it's better to shower in the evening, that way, when you apply cologne in the morning, the skin is a more oily than it would be than if you shower in the morning, just prior to applying?

Also, is it true if you wear cologne or perfume, that it's best to use Castille soap for showering preferably unscented? I understand that most soaps, but not Castille, keep you smelling clean by "eating" undesirable and other odors and therefore do the same with fragrance odor. Is this true?

Thanks,
    George
    Last edited by George P; 29th June 2010 at 01:55 AM.

Default Re: Question about fragrance longevity

It is generally a good idea to avoid "deodorant" soaps. Thankfully the majority of soaps are not deodorizing. Avoid "sport" soaps and you're probably safe. Some soaps are so fragrant in and of themselves they can clash with scents, however, so there's something else to consider.

I would characterize my skin as oily but I haven't found myself to be any better than average in retaining scents. I like your idea of showering in the evening and have found this helps, but I just don't feel clean if I don't shower in the morning so this isn't for me.

Experiment a bit and i'm sure you'll find what works best for you and your perfumes.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    It is generally a good idea to avoid "deodorant" soaps. Thankfully the majority of soaps are not deodorizing. Avoid "sport" soaps and you're probably safe. Some soaps are so fragrant in and of themselves they can clash with scents, however, so there's something else to consider.

I would characterize my skin as oily but I haven't found myself to be any better than average in retaining scents. I like your idea of showering in the evening and have found this helps, but I just don't feel clean if I don't shower in the morning so this isn't for me.
    Thanks for replying!

I agree, plus I prefer to shower in the morning, as it helps to wake me up and feel refreshed.

Get some scentless Jojoba oil for $10 and apply a bit to your application spots after your shower. The fragrance will stick to it better.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Get some scentless Jojoba oil for $10 and apply a bit to your application spots after your shower. The fragrance will stick to it better.
    Thanks. I recall reading that that method has some drawbacks, though I forget what they are.

I have found that if you put on a good moisturizer after I shower, then my fragrances will stick longer. Also, if you use a moisturizing cream on the spots that will have fragrance, they will stick longer.

Quote Originally Posted by George P View Post
    ...I understand that people with oily skin get more longevity out of their fragrance than those with dry skin...
    I can see how that would make sense in principle, but I can personally attest that you can't count on it, especially in the presence of other factors.

While for me, fragrance longevity has been dramatically impacted by the passage of years and the biochemical hijinks of diabetes, having oily skin never gave me any advantage, at least that I perceived, over my normal to dry friends and relations.

It always depended on the fragrance - even now it does, the difference is that some perfumes that used to last a long time, or at least a reasonable amount of time on me, don't any more.

I think that the interaction between skin and fragrance is so complicated, with each fragrance and each skin forming a unique and individual array of chemical reaction events, that the only way to know how long something will last on you is to apply it and keep sniffing!

So, I wonder if it's better to shower in the evening, that way, when you apply cologne in the morning, the skin is a more oily than it would be than if you shower in the morning, just prior to applying?...
    For you it might work that way, and for your nephew's cat's stylist's brother-in-law - or your identical twin - it might not.

It's an easy enough theory to test out, though! I'll be interested to hear how it turns out for you!

is it true if you wear cologne or perfume, that it's best to use Castille soap for showering preferably unscented? I understand that most soaps, but not Castille, keep you smelling clean by "eating" undesirable and other odors
    Well, I haven't heard anything about Castille soap "eating" other odors, any more than any other soap does, so I will leave that for someone with more knowledge in this area.

I have used plain old Mysore Sandalwood soap all my life, and it has not, to my nose, had any adverse effect on whatever perfume or cologne I put on after my bath!
    Last edited by cathodera; 14th July 2010 at 12:22 AM.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Don't know about the Castile comment; sounds interesting & possible...the earlier comments about oily skin & showering make sense...comments & questions worth raising...the suggestion of using jojoba oil, mentioned earlier, sounds interesting and viable...thanks...

Here's also a suggestion:
    I wish Basenotes had a Category (male & female) List of fragrances characterized as predominantly florals, fruits, fougeres, aquas or blues, grasses or greens, chypre or woods. orientals or spices, tobaccos, etc...or however best (professionally) they could/should be categorized...I know there is a certain amount of cross-over of elements...if Basenotes does have such a category page I have not as yet been able to find it...
    Last edited by wggmn3; 10th October 2010 at 05:04 AM.

If I sprayed some baby oil on my skin after showering, do you think that would help with the longevity?
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Hmmmm, an interesting question; also sounds possible...have you received any answers to that possibility?...you also must have read the comments about jojoba oil...
    Last edited by wggmn3; 10th October 2010 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    If I sprayed some baby oil on my skin after showering, do you think that would help with the longevity?
    That stuff is scented - baby powder in it? It'll mess with your frag. Regular mineral oil is the same thing without the scent.

I gather you are referring to the jojoba oil...Yes, something w/out any of its own fragrance (eg. regular mineral oil) in it makes sense...thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by wggmn3 View Post
    Hmmmm, an interesting question; also sounds possible...have you received any answers to that possibility?...you also must have read the comments about jojoba oil...
    Well, just based on reading about jojoba, which I don't have. I thought maybe Baby oil could work.
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    That stuff is scented - baby powder in it? It'll mess with your frag. Regular mineral oil is the same thing without the scent.
    I have unscented. It's basically just mineral oil then. I guess the short answer is try it... I'll see how it goes and let you guys know if it works.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I think the easiest thing to do is just put on some unscented body lotion or cream. It's less messy than oil. Just leave your skin a bit damp before you apply the lotion.

If you have problems with fragrance longevity, you will gain more by applying to clothing or hair than by playing with moisturizers IMO.