Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Comprehensive Gourmand List For New Members

Gourmands are awesome, how can you NOT like smelling delicious!?
    So i figure, why not make a list for the newer members to have? Tell me what im missing so i can edit it into the posting. I mostly only know men's fragrances so if the women wanna help out, that'd be awesome Also, i want to do short reviews of each, however i have not tried all of them, so feel free to post reviews of the ones i dont have and ill edit them in. Thank you!

Now this raises the question: what is a gourmand? You may or may not have heard the term used but it quite simply means that the fragrance smells edible. For example, i own Givenchy's Pi. In the drydown it smells EXACTLY like marshmallows (this is the benzoin crystals), giving it a quite delicious aroma that can even make you hungry!

- Coney Island - Bond No. 9

REVIEW: Caramel, chocolate, vanilla, musk...it is said to be like A*Men in gourmand notes but rather a much higher quality, better constructed fragrance.

- Original Santal - Creed

REVIEW:A higher quality, niche gourmand, similar in smell to JOOP! Homme. Has a "candy berry" accord

- Rochas Man - Rochas

REVIEW: Its very sweet, with a raspberry/mocha vibe with some vanilla in the base.

- Givenchy Pi - Givenchy

REVIEW: Marshmallow drydown, its that simple.

- Givenchy Play Intense - Givenchy

REVIEW: Oriental woody fragrance with a chocolate accord in it.

- Le Male - Jean Paul Gaultier

REVIEW: The gourmand drydown takes awhile to get to but it smells like sugar cookies.

- A*Men/ Angel Men - Thierry Mugler

REVIEW: Chocolate, milky caramel, coffee, vanilla, tonka; its like a very good desert.

- Pure Malt - Thierry Mugler

REVIEW: Has liquor-like opening notes that has a hint of coffee; drydown is more or less the same as A*Men

- JOOP! Homme - JOOP!

REVIEW: Candy in a bottle; is extremely strong

- Hollister SoCal - Hollister Co.

REVIEW: Its like AXE Dark Chocolate Body Wash with a coconut and warm sandalwood accord.

- Pure Coffee - Thierry Mugler

REVIEW: Like A*Men but with a much stronger and longer lasting coffee accord

- Princess - Vera Wang

REVIEW: Cake in a bottle, with guava, apple, and other less obvious fruity notes. Extremely sweet and delicious.

- Glam Princess - Vera Wang

REVIEW: "Cremesicles" a very vanilla-y orange, its delicious smelling

- Angel - Thierry Mugler

REVIEW: The first gourmand, with honey, chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and other notes

- Very Irresistable - Givenchy

REVIEW:

- Fantasy - Britney Spears

REVIEW: A strange, sweet, addicting cupcake aroma; very synthetic

- Hanae Mori

REVIEW:

- Body Kouros - Yves Saint Laurent

REVIEW:

- L`Eau au Masculin - Lolita Lempicka

REVIEW:

- Armani Code - Giorgio Armani

REVIEW: Although a woody oriental spicey fragrance, it can have a "cinnamon bum" quality to it.

- Hypnotic Poison - Cristian Dior

REVIEW: Has an almond accord to it

- Black XS - Paco Rabbane

REVIEW: Has a strong strawberry accord

- Endymion - Penhaligons

REVIEW: A combination of sage and spice, together with a long chocolate, toffee and mocha finish

- John Varvatos - John Varvatos

REVIEW: Going out on a limb with his one but it has a very cherry, warm, almost creamy feel to it until the drydown, which is a strong leather vanilla; basically i find the top and some of the heart to be a sweet, cherry-like gourmand
    Last edited by Neurosis; 30th June 2010 at 04:25 AM.

Default Re: Comprehensive Gourmand List For New Members

Possets Perfumes specializes in gourmand, so you should check them out: The Tisane of the Witch is tea with buttery cakes, Sugarpuss smells like berry candy, sort of like a blue Raspberry Airhead or lollipop (too sweet for me), Fabienne is almond (like a more powerful original scent Jergens lotion. They have a whole line of scents with chocolate notes, and their Gingerbread Whorehouse is very popular. They are constantly coming out with new and seasonal scents and all are very inexpensive.

www.possets.com

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

just a quick suggestion, the gourmands may smell different on other peoples skin so the reviews may be slightly subjective. Do you think you should put in what you smell? (just a thought) As for gourmands, there too many hahaha

just some off the top of my head, hanae mori, body kouros (some may disagree), au masculine, armani code (at least on me it smells like cinnamon buns from cinabon), pretty much all the flankers to the ones you have above. There's plenty more

just curious, everyone seems to have the mindset that gourmand edible means like bakery/sugar edible, but what nice people who enjoy eating flowers! nom nom nom FLORALS CAn be tasty i bet. :]

oh for girls, Hypnotic poison (what a beast)
    Last edited by Slushiex3; 29th June 2010 at 06:21 AM.

i wouldnt consider lemale, PI, santal, or joop gourmands.

Thanks for starting this thread

Another name this list should include is Endymion by Penhaligons:

a slightly pricey niche frag, a perfect interpretation of a "modern gourmand" - I detect a combination of sage and spice, together with a long chocolate, toffee and mocha finish

Gourmands are awesome, how can you NOT like smelling delicious!?
    I don't like them, smell poor industrial food flavors for me....

An you can add Paco Rabanne - Black XS = berry , haribo's strawberry candy...

Matin Calin - smells like condensed milk, some even claim breast milk (!)

Blog Entries

Montale Sweet Oriental Dream, similarly Keiko Mercheri Loukhoum and Serge Lutens Louve. Also, Tom Ford Black Orchid and Hermès Ambre Narguilé. I don't consider Joop! to be gourmand; rather, it strikes me as an oriental.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus

With the exception of certain notes like coffee, chocolate milk (I'm looking at you, A-Men) or the occasional lemon cream puff or vanilla custard, I seldom form associations with food scents. Maybe I have not tried that many gourmands as it is one genre that doesn't wear well on my skin. But I do love & own Hypnotic Poison. The fizzy almond is a blast!

Blog Entries

to answer a couple questions...

Yes, the concept of a gourmand fragrance is totally subjective. i barely consider A*Men a gourmand since on my skin it ends up more with an incense-y woody vibe instead of chocolate, while at the same time Le Male smells like sugar cookies to me on my skin, go figure! So yes, your suggestions can and most likely will be totally subjective. I'll probably add a warning sorta like "Caution: gourmands are a very subjective fragrance type as skin chemistry, environment, and many other factors can influence how one smells a particular fragrance."

Blog Entries

updated with more fragrances and most have reviews now. Ill add some more of the one's mentioned later when i get to research them more

I get no raspberry, mocha, or vanilla in rochas man on my skin only a super, super sweet smelling lavender. I was hoping for a great alternative to a*men for school w/o the tar and less projection, too...

Quote Originally Posted by AppleNerd View Post
    I get no raspberry, mocha, or vanilla in rochas man on my skin only a super, super sweet smelling lavender. I was hoping for a great alternative to a*men for school w/o the tar and less projection, too...
    How about Animale Animale (not a repeat)? Definitely sweet, smells (literally) delicious, and doesn't empty a conference room.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Musc Ravageur is like the ultimate niche gourmand as of late. Also don't forget Euphoria Intense by CK, Black XS more refined sibling.

I'll add a few - Guerlain L'Instant (cocoa), Dior Homme (Chocolate and Iris) Musc Ravageur, and many more. I'll think of some and get back.

Thanks for starting this thread!!!
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

There was a time when I liked gourmands, but now I need a non-food note in there, or else it soon begins to irritate me. I don't really care what others smell, but rather what I do, so that's not a criterion for me. I guess the closest I can get to a gourmand, in terms of wearing it for several hours and enjoying it, is Tobacco Vanille (or on the cheapo side of things, Azzaro's Pure Lavender).

Calvin Klein's Obsession

Hmmm, great list! Id throw in:

Burberry London
    Burberry Touch
    La Nuit De L'Homme by YSL
    New Haarlem by Bond NO.9
    Armani Diamonds
    Armani Attitude and Attitude Extreme
    Valentino V by Valentino
    212 Sexy Men by CH
    Blue Sugar Men by Aquolina

though some I listed may not be a full breed gourmand (Touch, 212 Sexy Men, Diamonds) I consider them borderline.