FLEUR DU MALE

Within days this has gone from being disgustingly
    urin'ish on me, to being one of my favourite frags
    pour Homme

Thumbs up Re: SotD - Tuesday the 29th of June

Olivier Pescheux's

L ' EAU DE TAROCCO

diptyque
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: SotD - Tuesday the 29th of June

The hot, hot weather has begun to cool slightly, after a heavy rainfall
    last night, and the air is mercifully clearer.

I am layering Etro Heliotrope body lotion with Heliotrope
    Blanc by Piver.

Last edited by kewart; 29th June 2010 at 08:46 AM.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I'm in the teeny-bopper fizzy pop of Ralph by Ralph Lauren again today. It covers up the smell of self tan rather nicely (I've not used self tan in YEARS, but I seem to have gone rather freckly despite wearing SPF30, so I though what the heck; might as well even out...).

I am wearing a tank top and Fire island to work today. It is just too hot.

Thanks for the love the other day! Great to see you all again.

Happy belated birthday Zibeline and Oolala!

Feeling mighty envious of your warm weather. Freezing here! So I find myself luxuriating in Loves True Bluish Light.
    Last edited by jillsy; 29th June 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Aramis Havana.

Top Notes: Coriander Seed, Anise, BIrch Tar, Juniper Berry, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Orange
    Middle Notes: Bay Rum, Cumin, Jamaican Pimento Berry, Pepper, Jasmine, Hyacinth
    Base Notes: Exotic Woods, Tobacco, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Myrhh, Labdanum, Oilbanum, Tonka Bean, Vanilla

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Aramis Tuscany per Donna. Have a day that's nice!

Basenotes Plus

Thanks to a lovely friend,

Roberto Cavalli Oro

top notes: magnolia, coriander, iris, pepper, apple, bergamot
    middle notes: apricot, patchouli, cinnamon, freesia, cedar
    base notes: sandalwood, amber, musk, vanilla, guaiac wood

This is wonderful and, with its fruits/soft spices/woods combo, reminds me of Dior's Dolce Vita. Not an exact replica (I'm getting a lot of coriander here which is absent in DV) but similar in style. Plus it's by Maurice Roucel, and he can do no wrong in my book.

Best to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Oh, goodness, tdem! Oro made my short list to wear today, so I think I will join you in Cavalli's Oro! Scent twins - yeah!

I woke up craving Après L'Ondée, which is odd because I've never been able to warm up to it. Maybe it's the weather...it's been so hot here that I can now appreciate this cold beauty. I wish it would rain! A huge gusty dark cloud blew over us yesterday and released a quick shower, and then was quickly gone. We could use a good soaking rain here.

Horizon - Guy Laroche

Prompted by the local vanilla thread I'm wearing IPDF's Vaniglia del Madagascar.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Oh, goodness, tdem! Oro made my short list to wear today, so I think I will join you in Cavalli's Oro! Scent twins - yeah!
    Yay, Cello, how fun! We smell gooooood.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Last night I dreamed I was in Europe (have never been there, BTW), and I was circling a Guerlain counter that had a little stream of scented water running in a display on the countertop. I picked up the bar of soap the woman behind the counter said contained the scent given off by the water and smelled it. I can't remember the scent now, but I know I smelled it. The bar was wrapped in simple paper and was shaped liked a shortened stick of butter. I've never seen soap like that, but I thought it was darling. I then moved on to see Germany. The dream was quite long and involved, and I won't bore you with other details, but I was taking pictures all along the way.

Welcome, Dawnska! When I saw the name, I immediately associated it with Dawnkana.

C Rose, I was cracking up reading about your parrot in yester's SotD. I read the "oy vey/bird be quiet/bad bird story" aloud to DH, and my cockatiel got very excited about my oral interpretation. I have a friend who had a parrot that used to mimic the way she and her husband spoke to each other before their divorce. Sorry to confess, it was impossibly funny.

Linds, in your post last night, you described a phenomenon we often don't mention, but must ring true for almost everybody.

Gotta do some cleaning, then shower and choose SotD.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Gotta luv BNers who dream smelly dreams!!

Taking a minute from FaceBook's Baking Life to puff on a sample of Jo Malone's
    White Jasmine and Mint
    . NOT a happy combo for me.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 29th June 2010 at 01:08 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Adolpho Dominguez Vetiver Hombre.

I started with the Aftershave Emulsion and followed with the Edt
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Sotd is Dzing!

SoTD: Citizen Queen. After an odd night (got too sleepy too early, went to have a "nap"...woke up at 9 pm then couldn't get back to sleep before 2 and had to get up 4 hours later. Bleah). So at least I'm sitting in aromatic mental fogginess.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Hello everyone!

It's a chilly morning here, so I'm in the warm ambery balsam of Balenciaga's Prelude, my absolute favorite from this house. This might be a turn-off for some, but what initially attracted me to Prelude was its resemblance to Avon's classic Skin-So-Soft bath oil...it must be the balsam. Stunning, unique and completely unisex -this smells wonderful on a man!

Top notes - aldehydes, allspice, bergamot
    Middle notes - carnation, cinnamon, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose
    Bottom notes - Tolu balsam, amber, patchouli, benzoin, civet, vanilla

Hey tdem and cello - you girls smell divine! Heartwood initially piqued my interest in Oro and I'm so glad she did - there are lots of things to love about it! But I seem to have a completely different take on it. To me it's a creamy and warm predominantly iris scent, which I love as iris is usually quite cold. But how interesting! I would have never thought to compare it to Dolce Vita, but now I'll have to give them a wrist-by-wrist test!

Quarry - What a marvelous dream! I love having perfume dreams, especially when they feature a scent that I'm not aware of or familiar with. That always stays in the back of my mind as I'm researching scents, and sometimes I discover they actually exist! I dreamt of Tabac Aurea before I'd ever heard of Sonoma Scent Studio.

Y'all have a fantastic day!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 29th June 2010 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Last night I dreamed I was in Europe (have never been there, BTW), and I was circling a Guerlain counter that had a little stream of scented water running in a display on the countertop. I picked up the bar of soap the woman behind the counter said contained the scent given off by the water and smelled it. I can't remember the scent now, but I know I smelled it. The bar was wrapped in simple paper and was shaped liked a shortened stick of butter. I've never seen soap like that, but I thought it was darling. I then moved on to see Germany. The dream was quite long and involved, and I won't bore you with other details, but I was taking pictures all along the way.

Welcome, Dawnska! When I saw the name, I immediately associated it with Dawnkana.

C Rose, I was cracking up reading about your parrot in yester's SotD. I read the "oy vey/bird be quiet/bad bird story" aloud to DH, and my cockatiel got very excited about my oral interpretation. I have a friend who had a parrot that used to mimic the way she and her husband spoke to each other before their divorce. Sorry to confess, it was impossibly funny.

Linds, in your post last night, you described a phenomenon we often don't mention, but must ring true for almost everybody.

Gotta do some cleaning, then shower and choose SotD.

Thanks Quarry! Thanks to Chaya for calling me Dawnska because that is where I got my screen name.

Have a good day everyone!
    Variety is the soul of pleasure. ~Aphra Behn

APOM Pour Femme.

Notes -
    Orange blossom, ylang-ylang and cedar wood
    Last edited by Dawnska; 29th June 2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Variety is the soul of pleasure. ~Aphra Behn

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm laughing over C Roses's story too, Quarry...but I can understand how it isn't very funny if one is stuck there listening to the racket!

I recall a long-ago November in Africa, on a hot, humid night when the flying termites were emerging from the ground and the frogs were going crazy with them. I was trying to sleep, window open as always, and the frogs started calling. One called "Mwa-ah", and another made high pitched trills in response. A whole chorus of frogs made more and more mwa-ahs and trills. Sleep eluded me.

Exasperated, I went to the window and shouted "Quiet!"

It worked! All was still and peaceful. For about 15 seconds.

Then...in the darkness... a tentative "Mwa-ah!"
    And the chorus began again.

There is this marvelously moisturizing and great-scented lotion I got at Target, "Grapefruit Sky" Hydrate body lotion by giovanni. I wish they made a spray scent in this fragrance...hmmm...must research, maybe they do?

Meanwhile, it's a citrusy fragrance for me today: The Thymes Limón. Sometimes I layer this with L'Occitane Honey & Lemon Shimmering EdT but today I'll enjoy the black currant note undiluted.

Our own black currant bushes are loaded with ripening berries, which make for tasty eating, alongside our blueberries. I love this time of year. Roses, berries...all good.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    What a great dream, Quarry ! I dreamt recently about getting a great sample of Cruel Gardenia at a Guerlain boutique .

It seems we have all been suffering from heat . Today, it's a tiny bit cooler- about 100 degrees F in the valley . The fridge is konking out so I have the Sears guy coming this afternoon to diagnose and fix it , hopefully ! Meanwhile I have huge blocks of ice in the fridge .

This morning I am wearing Fresh Hesperides again. I do love it. Stay cool everyone .
    Welcome to Basenotes again Dawnska !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quarry - I love your dream! Especially the running stream of scented water. I think you should plan a trip to Europe. I'll come with you (only been to Germany and Japan on business) and we can find that Guerlain counter. Maybe we can make it a Basenotes Meet-Up!!

Today I'm wearing 31, rue Cambon. One of my top 5. This beauty works in any weather.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    I am wearing a tank top and Fire island to work today. It is just too hot.
    Sounds like our Therese needs to cut out and get herself to the beach! :-)

I'm off to work (second to last day until retirement – can you believe it?!). Giving my sample of La Chasse Aux Papillons Extrême a full wearing. I like what I smell!

Happy Tuesday to all!

Hello Everybody Hope you are enjoying a fantastic day !

Love at first Glow by JLO for me today !Oh..i adore this name and perfume
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Rochas Tocade

I'm loving reading all these stories today. Guerlain streams (Quarry, I love fraggie dreams), bullfrog choruses in the African night, naughty parrots. I never did put on Après l'Ondée. I wound up in Cacharel Liberté, which is one I never regret later. Orange, anise, patchouli, and sugar syrup.

Wearing Le Dix.
    DONNA

Quarry, love your dream, and 30 Roses, love your "Quiet!" story. Now I have to go back and read about the "Oy vey" bird. Sounds like s/he'd be right at home in my house.

Today I'm wearing Caron Poivre surprisingly well. This classic beauty works undexpectedly well in the warm, humid weather. Must be the bracing carnation/clove combination - simultaneous heat and cooling elements - like menthol.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Caron Poivre notes (from TPC): Red pepper, black pepper, giroflore, carnation, ylang ylang, opoponax, sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

What wondrous and then wacky story, 30 Roses. Literally LingOL. Would prefer to smell your landscape today than mine. I took the garbage out front and noticed three stink bugs on the vining crops. I swept them off by hand and stepped on them. The briefest touch has impregnated my hands with their gruesome scent (it's kind of sweet and green). Have washed my hands four times now, so I think I'll be able to eat our lunch of muffuletta without wearing latex gloves.

Pomander, we could be so wonderfully bad for each other.

Haunani, I am going to derive much vicarious pleasure from the dawn of your retirement, so go ahead and flaunt the experience.

Owing to my "dream house," I'm in Jicky.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Stinkbugs, bad parrots, and African frogs - this thread is so ANIMALIC today!

I am in Le Monstre -- Chanel No. 5. Yes, I smell like everyone's grandmother, and no, I don't care.

This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

Hi Quarry, you were smart to get a cockatiel -- ones I've seen are cute, feisty, smart and not so noisy! Hmmmm... BRIGHT IDEA ... maybe I'll put my bird on the freebies thread... (Enjoyed your dream! I dream about perfume... a LOT.)
    30 Roses, LOL... you tell a story well!
    Haunani, what will you do when you retire? Just think -- you could spend ALL DAY on basenotes!!
    Welcome to DAWNSKA!!

I'm in original formula Shisheido Murasaki today. (after shower, that is, worked out in Ferre this morning.)

Welcome, Dawnska! I'm in coastal southern California, too! That spitting, June gloom sky is trying to make me cold, but Shalimar edp is keeping me warm. Mmm sooo niiice...

Glad to see veryone in good spirits today! Hey, can anyone tell me how to get my smilie options back? Since the format changed, I can't find them in my 'settings.'

Good Morning All. Today, I have a very important appointment, so I've decided to pull out the big guns. No shrinking violet, My SOTD is CK's 'EUPHORIA'
    T. Notes: Pomegranate, Persimmon, Green Accord.
    M. Notes: Lotus Blossom, Champaca Flower, Black Orchid.
    B. Notes: Amber, Black Violet, Cream Accord, Mohogany Wood.

Basenotes Institution

Parure by Guerlain (thanks ComDiva)

I disliked this when I first tested it, but I'm coming around to it today. The plum note mixed with the aldehydes smells like a chypre soda pop. Funny how when you give a scent a full wearing, rather than spray on your arm, it's a totally different experience.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome Dawnska! Good to see you here.

Quarry, I really enjoyed your dream sequence.

I'm wearing Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte today. It's become my favorite for wearing in the heat. This way I get to hoard my #19, or at least that's how I am justifying the purchase in my own mind. Eau Verte does garner lots of compliments, which is always unexpected but nice when it happens.

I smelled TM's Womanity yesterday an really, really liked it. It is going to be difficult to describe. Calling it a "skin" scent underates it. I've certainly never smelled anything like it: salt/figs/woods/skin. Wonderful!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Loving the stories ladies. They are brightening my day.

Welcome Dawnska.

Today I am in:

CHANEL
    ALLURE HOMME
    EDITION BLANCHE

I love this one more every time I wear it.

Blog Entries

Wow, Quarry, how nice it is to have smelly dreams! I was putting together students' class schedules in my last dreams... kinda fun, but Guerlain's boutique dream eats the students' schedules dreams for breakfast!!

I am sampling Amouage Lyric Woman today, and it's quite lovely.
    we'll see about the SOTD! I'll get to it when I go to the library.

Good morning! (Afternoon, maybe? I just woke up.) Testing Ungaro's Diva today. I'm really enjoying it - despite the fact that my hair's a mess and I've got makeup smudges under my eyes, it's making me feel pretty darn sexy.

Blog Entries

Cologne du 68 by Guerlain.

I do get a giggle from these awful old ads!

Wearing Fleurs De Rocaille, non feebly. Work is crazy stupid busy, the temperature is up in the hot and stickies and Fleurs is just so cool and unflappable.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Sweet Quarry! Hi Twolf, and Happy Birthday Zib. I'm just checking in--I doubt if I'm back but you never can tell. I'm pretty unpredictable....

Today I'm wearing....kai.

Declaration Cartier Pour Homme
    Gary

Shy, we love you and your unpredictability nontheless. We even love your Kai here -- as long as YOU get to wear it.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

SotE - Poison, Vintage Eau de Toilette

Dzing!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Welcome new BNers Shycats and Dawnska!

SOTD: JM Vintage Gardenia

Haunani!
    Is it really only a day away?! Time sure flies! Big transition time...hope you are enjoying these last few hours of your work and are eagerly anticipating this next big stage of your life. Maybe you can make it to Hawaii a little more often...
    Last edited by RainDropSparkle; 29th June 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Haunani!

summer means fireflys

Dropped by to post after a very busy and stressful day. And I'm in a hurry to get my internet stuff done before tonight's TV "Deadliest Catch" comes on. I've enjoyed all the stories today ... I'm wearing Success Is A Job In NY.

I'm wearing Ananas Fizz today.

Basenotes Institution

Hello Shycats !

Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia- one of the finest gardenias.
    RainDropSparkle- you're in a fab gardenia too !

Basenotes Plus

Scent twin (or twit, as the case may be) with Lilybelle in Apres L'Ondee EDT. It' felt perfect when I applied this morning- when it was a foggy California day- and it still hanging in there 8.5 hours later.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Hi Mimi. @Raindropsparkle--thanks for the welcome. I'm not exactly new, just so old I seem new to the younger generation. I'm retro.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Scent twin (or twit, as the case may be) with Lilybelle in Apres L'Ondee EDT. It' felt perfect when I applied this morning- when it was a foggy California day- and it still hanging in there 8.5 hours later.
    knit_at_nite- wow ! Apres L'Ondee struggled to last on my skin - poof in 15-20 minutes.

Shycats- Retro is good ! Welcome !

Wore Ivoire today, the green loveliness hit the spot in the heat.

L'Air du desert marocain . [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]andy tauer[/COLOR]

It reminds me of Montale Patchouli leaves, Cabochard, and Tabac blond from paris. I really like this stuff!
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Parfum Sacré version INTENSE
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Burberry's Brit since last night!I will post this as today's sot D as well on the new day's thread
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber