Code of Conduct

Default Yves Saint Laurent: Why Can't I Find Their Better Frags?

The only YSL frags that are sold in department stores in Ontario are L'homme and La Nuit de L'homme--that's it! No Kouros, Body Kouros, Opium, Jazz, etc. What's the deal with this house? They have such a powerful resume, and they only sell those two at the mall? Even the drug store only sells those two.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Yves Saint Laurent: Why Can't I Find Their Better Frags?

In Europe, you can find almost the entire line in department stores. Even the body products (shower gels, soap, etc.) Strange, but true.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never known. I'm in Los Angeles where almost anything can be found. The only place that carries most of their frangrances is their own YSL Boutique in Beverly Hills. And they don't have Body Kouros there either.

The main department stores only carry the new ones. La Nuit and L'Homme. I've only seen Kouros a couple of times in any main stream stores.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting question....I have been suprised I have not been able to find M7 especially since it's a) not that old and b) appearantly so well thought of. I have been all through the several malls in my area with not one carrying it.

Not sure if you have "Perfumania" (a mall-type retailer) up in Canada, but i have seen Kouros, Body Kouros, and Jazz in them.

It's strange because all of these products are in production, but availability is spotty at best, and somewhat dependent on geography. It just doesn't make sense. How hard is it to put Body Kouros in the Shoppers Drug Mart?

Are there any Europeans here who can testify to the selection in your stores? And can you buy Body Kouros there?

Post Thanks / Like

The YSL website lists all frags available in Europe, but Body Kouros is not shown in US.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    It's strange because all of these products are in production, but availability is spotty at best, and somewhat dependent on geography. It just doesn't make sense. How hard is it to put Body Kouros in the Shoppers Drug Mart?

Are there any Europeans here who can testify to the selection in your stores? And can you buy Body Kouros there?
    Its really hard to put Body Kouros in Shoppers Drug Mart. Shoppers Drug Mart doesn't want it there. They will have some classics ( Eau Sauvage...some others) or they will have the best sellers/latest releases.

Body Kouros is pretty much passe as far as YSL's marketing strategy is concerned. The scent is a bit of its time was well, but still a good fragrance ( and I still wear it with pride). But Body Kouros is passe. The L'homme range is their "new" thing. The latest....the "greatest"....you know how it works.

But I have noticed that every single privately owned fragrance shop in my small Canadian city carries the ENTIRE range of YSL's mens fragrances. Pour Homme, Kouros, Jazz, Live Jazz, Opium, Body Kouros, M7 and Rive Gauche pour Homme. Also, the new L'homme's are their. So, you can get them quite easily in our country.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 25th June 2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    The YSL website lists all frags available in Europe, but Body Kouros is not shown in US.
    Strange. Perhaps the European market demands it more than we do?

I have to say I don't understand the comment about it being "passe". It was released in 2000. Compare that to many of the more popular frags: ADG, Cool Water, Issey. It's not that old. What does a passe frag smell like?

Post Thanks / Like

Barring a few exceptions, department stores only carry the newest releases... When they do carry old stuff, they tend to be things that still sell well like AdG, Cool Water, Le Male, etc... If you want harder to find scents, online is your best bet...

Post Thanks / Like

What does a passe frag smell like?
    They smell distinctly like a lack of sales...

Post Thanks / Like

http://east.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/passe

Apparently it is passe, it is ten years old, but who cares? A lot of valued scents can be described that way. Ten years is a long time in relation to pop culture - and like it or not mainstream frags are part of pop culture just as sure as music or clothing is. Wouldn't you say that Eminem's The Real Slim Shady was passe? or that "saggin'" is passe?

Sephora only carries L'Homme and La nuit here. Only place I've seen anything else was at a fragrance outlet...

Makes me wonder if YSL is on the verge of discontinuing the whole lot.

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

You can find lots of YSL frags in small private stores. But then, I dont know where you are located in Ontario. You can also buy them on many online retailers.

As for Body Kouros, I think it's a masterpiece!
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

If I want a bottle, I can just order online. My issue is that I don't want to start wearing a frag only to have it discontinued. (And I don't stock up--I don't want old stock.)

Post Thanks / Like

If I want a bottle, I can just order online. My issue is that I don't want to start wearing a frag only to have it discontinued. (And I don't stock up--I don't want old stock.)
    Just because you see something in a department store, it doesn't mean it's fresh stock...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Just because you see something in a department store, it doesn't mean it's fresh stock...
    So true! And online merchandise is not necessarily old stock. I order most of my fragrances online, and have not yet encountered anything that smells stale.
    Last edited by NYCBoy; 26th June 2010 at 01:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The only YSL frags that are sold in department stores in Ontario are L'homme and La Nuit de L'homme--that's it! No Kouros, Body Kouros, Opium, Jazz, etc. What's the deal with this house? They have such a powerful resume, and they only sell those two at the mall? Even the drug store only sells those two.
    It's the supplier problem, not YSL problem. When I ask the SA in Croatia why they don't sell this and that, she answers - there are a lot of new fragrances so we cancel the old ones so the new ones can take place, or she says - oh those are old fragrances... as if I shouldn't wear them cause look, there's the Boss Element or new Boss In Motion White, Gucci by Gucci PH and its sport version - oh boy do they like to push those!

In Germany (I live in a big city) you canīt find Body Kouros either. I think Iīve read that itīs no longer available in Germany. And I havenīt been able to sample YSL pour homme yet. Couldnīt find it. Same problem with most of the flankers.

Ya, I really don't like SAs or the fragrance market in general. It's like they think I'm stupid, that I'll just buy anything, and that I'm going to buy their new release rather than hunt down something worth wearing. I want quality!

I just ordered L'instant PH, my first Guerlain. Between that and Code, I think I can avoid SAs for a long time.

I find most of their stuff in their outlets here in India.

In my country there is only 1 major retailer (FANN parfumerie). I found just Body Kouros and Opium in one of their shops, then M7 and L'Homme in another shop in same city. I think I also saw original Kouros once.

I never ever seen Rive Gauche, Jazz, Live Jazz and Kouros flankers anywhere here.

YSL is also most overpriced brand here in retail. 50ml of Body Kouros (that I bought for around 20 Euros online) costs 60 Euros in shop.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 26th June 2010 at 12:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    In my country there is only 1 major retailer (FANN parfumerie). I found just Body Kouros and Opium in one of their shops, then M7 and L'Homme in another shop in same city. I think I also saw original Kouros once.

I never ever seen Rive Gauche, Jazz, Live Jazz and Kouros flankers anywhere here.

YSL is also most overpriced brand here in retail. 50ml of Body Kouros (that I bought for around 20 Euros online) costs 60 Euros in shop.
    these are the general prices in Croatia as well. Also no Live Jazz or Jazz. There are few small perfumeries wich hold these, but one has to discover them.

Post Thanks / Like

...I have to say I don't understand the comment about it being "passe". It was released in 2000. Compare that to many of the more popular frags: ADG, Cool Water, Issey. It's not that old. What does a passe frag smell like?
    I don't understand why you would think that the term "passe" refers to a particular smell

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-01 View Post
    http://east.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/passe

Apparently it is passe, it is ten years old, but who cares? A lot of valued scents can be described that way. Ten years is a long time in relation to pop culture - and like it or not mainstream frags are part of pop culture just as sure as music or clothing is. Wouldn't you say that Eminem's The Real Slim Shady was passe? or that "saggin'" is passe?
    No one ever said they did not like or appreciate Body Kouros. Like HackerX, I like it.

And as far as what you have written above. What does that have to do with anything ? Pop culture ? Eminem ? What ? Saggin...... ? Is this a mens fragrance forum ? I don't get what you are saying. It may just be how you have worded it.

PS :I don't listen to Eminem ( or any MTV "rapper") nor care for his music.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Exactly. The particular shop in question, Shoppers Drug Mart, has alot of bottles that have been sitting for awhile. It depends on the particular shop and how often the product moves, of course.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

There is still hope!

Today I discovered YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration in a shop! The SA said they donīt carry it all the time, because they donīt sell enough of it. Of course I took the chance and sampled it, good stuff. But once it had dried down it reminded me a lot of the more modern Kouros Cologne Sport, so I wonīt purchase this (forgotten?) beauty soon, I think.

Keep looking for all of these YSL frags, itīs worth it!!!

In Our best Mall in my city there is a Fragrance Kiosk and they have most of the YSL scents.....If there is something that they don't have they will order the item(s) for You.....Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    It's the supplier problem, not YSL problem. When I ask the SA in Croatia why they don't sell this and that, she answers - there are a lot of new fragrances so we cancel the old ones so the new ones can take place, or she says - oh those are old fragrances... as if I shouldn't wear them cause look, there's the Boss Element or new Boss In Motion White, Gucci by Gucci PH and its sport version - oh boy do they like to push those!
    It depends on the marketing policy of the stores: the biggest and most important fragrance store in my city has as a policy carrying only the latest releases, this meaning they sell the not-so-new ones at a discount in order to sell off stocks. For example, Bergamotto Marino is usually found at stores for USD 75 but I got hold of a bottle for USD 25.

On the other hand, there is a stockist specialized in hard-to-find scents which he even takes the trouble of importing them. Thus, the only place were you would be able to get hold of, say, Puig's Vetiver, is in this store. Of course, he charges you a lot for these kind of goods.

Common sense dictates that it is the same everywhere in the world. For what I could see on-line, department stores either sell best sellers classics and new releases (Macy's, Bloomingdales, etc.) or niche brands (Bergdorf, Barney's, etc.) or a mix (Nieman's). No idea as per Hudson Bay though...
    Last edited by Pollux; 27th June 2010 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    the biggest and most important fragrance store in my city has as a policy carrying only the latest releases, this meaning they sell the not-so-new ones at a discount in order to sell off stocks. For example, Bergamotto Marino is usually found at stores for USD 75 but I got hold of a bottle for USD 25.
    You mean this store doesn't even sell ADG, Issey, Le Male, etc? Those are the top sellers.

I've only seen Kouros and Jazz from the men's line at YSL counters here.

Post Thanks / Like

well in a few stores from where im from , i've found live jazz, jazz, kouros, body kouros. I've found m7 fresh? lol
    but in general its the basic la nuit de lhomme and lhomme. shame i erally wanna find more

Post Thanks / Like

You mean this store doesn't even sell ADG, Issey, Le Male, etc? Those are the top sellers.
    I doubt that. Take Givenchy for example - in Zagreb stores are pushing Play, Play intense, Very irresistible for men and its fresh version, Gentleman, Pour Homme and Blue Label, Pi - once upon a time you could find Xeryus Rouge and some others wich were sold out very fast. I'll agree that a lot of ppl are sheeps and buy only what's served but still, I think there are a lot who even today like very much those fragrances wich the store policy considers ˝old˝ and unpopular.

Best sellers though, are always on the shelves and in abundance! Le Male, Fahrenheit, L'eau d' Issey etc. (no Kouros or Body Kouros)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

And as far as what you have written above. What does that have to do with anything ? Pop culture ? Eminem ? What ? Saggin...... ? Is this a mens fragrance forum ? I don't get what you are saying. It may just be how you have worded it.

PS :I don't listen to Eminem ( or any MTV "rapper") nor care for his music.
    That was meant as a joke. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    In Europe, you can find almost the entire line in department stores. Even the body products (shower gels, soap, etc.) Strange, but true.
    sure, but strange? YSL is a french house.
    In spain you can find easily all the fragances of them : M7, jazz, opium,kouros, body kouros, rive gauche... even in small stores.
    Last edited by blackened; 27th June 2010 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed to mention they carry classics that are still best sellers. But except for AdG, CW and the like, none with some years in the market: for example, they don't carry Davidoff's Adventure, but were the first ones to sell Hot Water.

Here in Kuala Lumpur it seems that 2-3 of the YSL counters have already closed down. I have not visited their flagship one for a long time but i do hope they still have the product line there. Seems that their new owners is trying to cut cost on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-01 View Post
    That was meant as a joke. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend.
    No offense, I just didn't initially get it NDN-01. No harm, no foul.

My comment above with regards to Body Kouros being passe was because YSL has moved their marketing stataggy from the Tom Ford-era fragrances. KMF also mentioned lack of sales, and he's 100% correct. Although I did smelled this on another man late last year. Strangely, we were the same age and "style". After smelling BK on him I was convinced that it was a scent that could work for me ( and it has, as I purchased a full bottle soon afterwards ). I used to be repulsed by it, actually .

One last thing. The late 1990s and just at the start of 2000 saw a bit of a trend of mens "gourmands". Starting with Animale Animale in the mide 1990s. Then went on to include A*Men, Rochas Man, Nikos, Yohji Homme, Lolita Lempicka, Body Kouros and a few other decently popular fragrances. Those scents still sell well ( some much better than others), but gourmand is no longer a trend in mens designer fragrances ( although 2008's Givenchy Play Intense is, much to my dismay) . Thankfully, for me at least, Body Kouros isn't as gourmand as the others. Still a licorice vibe, coffee'd woods(?) and vanilla. But well crafted and has other things going on ( eucalyptus, incense...etc).

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I tried BK I was also appauled by it...the second time I've tried it, it was a catharsis for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    One last thing. The late 1990s and just at the start of 2000 saw a bit of a trend of mens "gourmands". Starting with Animale Animale in the mide 1990s. Then went on to include A*Men, Rochas Man, Nikos, Yohji Homme, Lolita Lempicka, Body Kouros and a few other decently popular fragrances.
    Not to redirect the thread entirely, but you're very observant Surfacing. What do you see as the trend in mens scents that replaced the gourmand phase?

Post Thanks / Like

Yohji Homme is a fougere with light gourmand features, but it doesn't wear like a gourmand, nor does it even wear like a fresh oriental. Far from it. It wears like a rich fougere, grey and aloof, with light oriental features that peak in the heart, then almost completely give it up to the darker masculine fougere elements upon which it is built.

Menardo used Yohji Homme as her inspiration for Body Kouros, but she laid on the benzoin, among other things, and it does wear like a sweet gourmand. Albeit without nearly as much complexity and genius of Yohji Homme, which isn't a gourmand.

BK is a quality fragrance, but I like it better as a room spray. My girlfriend used to wear it and I never liked it because of the simple cotton candy radiance it put out. I'm surprised that men can wear it with any consistency. It smells nice, but turns into one of those that feels better to remove than to keep on. Mystery isn't its high point.

As far as the YSL products not being in Canada? Yves didn't like Canada, and didn't want his clothes, nor his fragrances being sold there.

I don't think it's true.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th June 2010 at 07:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're near toronto... I believe sephora carries Eau Sauvage, even Walmart carries Rive Gauche PH, and there are plenty of smaller shops that carry the various Kouros, to opium, and more. YSL stuff's around, maybe just not in mainstream stores as much.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    The first time I tried BK I was also appauled by it...the second time I've tried it, it was a catharsis for me
    Seems as though you and I have had the same experience. . One thing for sure, Body Kouros is not a safe blind buy

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Not to redirect the thread entirely, but you're very observant Surfacing. What do you see as the trend in mens scents that replaced the gourmand phase?
    ....Thanks StylinLA.

Its hard to say. To be honest, I don't think there was a specific trend that followed the gourmand phase. Hmmm.....I just cannot pin point on specific trend after the 2000s. I may have wrote something in another thread, but honestly, no specific trend stands out until recently. Alot of lighter/airy/citrus and mild woods fragrances came out after 2006. Thats a 6 year gap. YSL L'homme, Gucci by Gucci Sport, Dior Homme Sport, Chrome Sport, Burberry Sport, The Beat, Lacoste Challenge ( but thats been Lacoste's "thing" for a while, no?)....etc. Thats just a few to name. What do you think ? Some merrit to that ?

And what was with those two fragrance companies seemingly starting afresh ? Gucci and Yves Saint Laurant, that is. The old scents were not discontinued, but it seems they were starting something "new" with Gucci by Gucci and L'homme being released.

PS: I forgot Cristobal by Balenciaga was a gourmand released in 2000. I was pumped about it at the time. Never really sat well with me. Really sharp opening ! But that was another department shop counter gourmand at the time.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

This brings up one of those chicken/egg questions.

Stores do not offer much of the YSL range because they "wouldn't sell," but are they not selling well because they aren't offered at stores? Or would they not sell either way?
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 28th June 2010 at 02:54 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Yup, the chicken/egg question.

They had only 2 bottles YSL PH HC and NO testers (see my post above). The SA went downstairs in order to get a tester, but there was none, so she finally let me sample from one of the sealed bottles. At least they have a tester now!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rive Gauche PH is not on the Danish market at all.
    It's the only one from that house not avalible here!

RG pour Femme is everywhere!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 28th June 2010 at 03:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    This brings up one of those chicken/egg questions.

Stores do not offer much of the YSL range because they "wouldn't sell," but are they not selling well because they aren't offered at stores? Or would they not sell either way?
    I remember when a department store up here ( Sears) started to sell Rive Gauche pour Homme a couple of years ago. The next time I came ( 5 months later), they had them all on a clearance table for $25. Perhaps the top notes didn't hook in the sampler ? It also seems like alot of women do the fragrance shopping for "their man" up here. Anyways, the YSL wasn't lonely on the discount table. Obsession Night Man was there as well in full force

Back on topic, I don't know if any of the pre-L'homme YSL scents would attract too many new men. I doubt it. But all the perfume kiosks and smaller shops carry them. Kouros included. I'm sure YSL has a huge loyal following.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

It's probably better for YSL fans that their frags remain under-appreciated. And I can understand how their frags wouldn't appeal to most people since it's a house that likes to do interesting things. Actually, it's amazing their frags were ever popular.

Post Thanks / Like

Something tells me L'Homme and La Nuit de l'Homme aren't going to hold on as well. I just don't see the kind of following that Kouros has happening for them. Maybe Jazz didn't hang on as well either, but PH does. I think RG PH will live well beyond L'Homme and LaNdH.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I find L'Homme and La Nuit to be detestable drek, especially given the esteemed house that spawned them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Something tells me L'Homme and La Nuit de l'Homme aren't going to hold on as well. I just don't see the kind of following that Kouros has happening for them. Maybe Jazz didn't hang on as well either, but PH does. I think RG PH will live well beyond L'Homme and LaNdH.
    I totally agree DustB. The market is just to crowded with similar "types" of fragrances like La Nuit de L'homme and the first L'homme. They just simply do not have their own "identity". I do like La Nuit de L'homme. But I wouldn't like it at retail price . I'll see how I feel in one year.

There's something to admire in a fragrance that is timeless. Rive Gauche pour Homme fits into that category, along with a few YSL scents.

More HERE
    Please PM me !