Code of Conduct

Question Something like Noir de Noir?

I love the smell of Noir de Noir from Tom Ford's Private Collection, it's one of the most beautiful fragrances ever made imo. But, no matter where I look, what I test with similar notes, I can't seem to find anything even remotely like it. Though for some reason before I even tried NdN it smelled very familiar to my nose, I just can't place it with what the fragrance was. Something mainstream for sure, or at least sold in most stores.

Anyways, the quest continues, I can't afford a bottle of NdN at this time, but I can afford to try out some cheaper alternatives. If you know of anything that smells like it, not just something with rose as the main note -- something with this type of rose. Sorry to sound so picky. Something that can be found for under 20 bucks would be a major plus. NdN has a pretty distinctive smell, and a lot of power behind it. Smells like smokey raspberries and rose to me, with fantastic projection and longevity.

Default Re: Something like Noir de Noir?

100% Love, Black Tie and to a lesser extent Voleur de Roses

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    100% Love, Black Tie and to a lesser extent Voleur de Roses
    To an even lesser extent, in the mainstream, Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely, for the same rose/patchouli vibe.

Actually, it will be difficult locating a close alternative Noir de Noir in the mainstream. IMO, the closest alternative in the rose/oud/saffron stakes is M Micallef's Aoud Homme.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Not really cheaper, but Bond No. 9 West Side is the closest thing I've tried. Might be able to snag a pile of samples (they sell in lots on ebay... sometimes end up being a whole ounce) for cheap.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thanks guys.

I would just save up and buy Noir de Noir..I love that stuff. I just cant get myself to buy it, that and Musc Ravageur. Dont know why???
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Blog Entries

I love NdN, too. I think that several other Tom Fords are quite similar because of that "black truffle" accord (whatever that really is) which they all share. Black Orchid to some extent (stronger, different floral, same black truffle). Tom Ford Extreme (oodles of black truffle, but not much floral). The scent you may be thinking of, which is still in Sephora and discounters for cheap, is Black Orchid Voile de Fleur. That has less of the chypre than NdN, and more (and different) floral, but the overall feel seems very similar to me. VdF is very cheap, too, and may have more projection and longevity than NdN. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing VdF while I still can.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I can't seem to find anything even remotely like it. Though for some reason before I even tried NdN it smelled very familiar to my nose, I just can't place it with what the fragrance was.
    When I first tried NdN, I didn't like it thinking it was the usual scent I smell on the mid-30 corporate female types that I ride the skytrain with to work.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Smells like smokey raspberries and rose to me, with fantastic projection and longevity.
    This sounds like Tuscan Leather to me. Are you sure you're talking about NdN?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I love NdN, too. I think that several other Tom Fords are quite similar because of that "black truffle" accord (whatever that really is) which they all share. Black Orchid to some extent (stronger, different floral, same black truffle). Tom Ford Extreme (oodles of black truffle, but not much floral). The scent you may be thinking of, which is still in Sephora and discounters for cheap, is Black Orchid Voile de Fleur. That has less of the chypre than NdN, and more (and different) floral, but the overall feel seems very similar to me. VdF is very cheap, too, and may have more projection and longevity than NdN...
    What he said ^
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th June 2010 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    This sounds like Tuscan Leather to me. Are you sure you're talking about NdN?
    Definitely not TL. I get no smokey raspberries or even any fruit notes from TL. Just a very linear leather with lots of power and longevity, I do think it's one of the purest leather fragrances out there, but not really my cup of tea.

I've tried quite a number of fragrances from Tom Ford, many from the private collection. Much props to this collection, I enjoyed most except for Bois Marocain and Bois Rouge, both smelled like blood and rust to me. I do appreciate all the time and effort put into these fragrances to make them stand out from others. Whether I like them or not, all present this high quality and richness. But Noir de Noir just exceeds all of the rest from the collection, absolutely gorgeous.. something I don't say too often.

Thanks guys for the feed back, I may look into this Black Orchid Voile de Fleur and see what will come of it.

I can tell you from personal experience that Voile de Fleur will not last longer than Noir de Noir. The oil content of Noir de Noir will see to that. As for finding a fragrance that smells similar, good luck. I would honestly just save your money. Why settle for something when you could save for what you actually want?

Basenotes Institution

Last night I wore Noir de Noir while I sat down to watch a movie on the couch and wow...this stuff smelled so strong on me, I don't remember it being quite so radiant and diffusive the last few times I've worn it. I smelled it for hours, until bed.

The_Cologneist - have you smelled Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie? If not, please do. I think both of these share some similar tangy, floral, woody accords. PR is missing the chocolate note, but besides that I think you might find them related.

In Black by J. del Pozo. To my nose, almost the same fragrance as Noir de Noir. Designated a feminine, but completely Unisex. Check the Basenotes reviews. This one can always be found super cheap on line.

I find Caberet by Gres has some similar attributes to Noir de Noir.

Regards,

Steve

Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfum is close I think. (I prefer it to NdN.)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Thanks on the last 4 posts. I always see In Black on Scent Monkey in the Men's section although it's a woman's frag, so thanks for that tidbit. I added both In Black, and Paestum Rose to my extensive test list. I'll look into all of these. Promlem for me is having to go mostly blind and based on reviews and other opinions, I wouldn't wanna spend more than 20 bucks if it's not gonna work out for me.

I adore NdN, but it just smells extremely feminine to me. I just can't imagine an occasion when I'd actually want to wear it, but it's certainly one beautiful fragrance. So intoxicating.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I adore NdN, but it just smells extremely feminine to me. I just can't imagine an occasion when I'd actually want to wear it, but it's certainly one beautiful fragrance. So intoxicating.
    I too felt this way when I first tried it, I applied way too much. It's very potent and powerful, and you just need a little bit. Even now when I wear it, it still has "unisex" written all over it. Strangely enough, I don't find this too feminine anymore, nor do I find it masculine. It's like something of no classification, like a piece of heaven. If it does smell feminine to others, that's a risk I'm willing to take. It is in fact both "beautiful" and "intoxicating".

Basenotes Institution

I agree - this one you need to go easy on the trigger to really enjoy and experience it's beauty. It's very radiant...2 tiny sprays from a plastic decant atomizer, under my shirt, scented me for more than 4 hours.

I'm definitely going to try this one again. As you guys say, perhaps less is more in this case. I tend to go overboard with sprays, as I'm so often disappointed with the strength of fragrances that I like.

Une Rose from Frederic Malle

Another for M Micallef's Aoud Homme

Just get a split of Noir de Noir. I got a 50ml for much less than retail and it's great.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Lady Vengeance comes pretty close IMO.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Amouage Epic Woman mixed with Le Labo Rose 31
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    Une Rose from Frederic Malle
    I don't see any similarities between these two.
    I've just bought a decant of Noir de Noir. It strongly reminds me of Lady Vengeance.

Coromandel.

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    I don't see any similarities between these two.
    I've just bought a decant of Noir de Noir. It strongly reminds me of Lady Vengeance.
    Indeed, and also, Armani Privé Rose d'Arabie...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit