Code of Conduct

Default Which basenotes member have similar taste as you?

I'm not a big time poster, more of a lurker but I was going thru some reviews tonight and I can't believe how 'Tony T' 's fragrance taste is so uncannily similar to mine.

I recieved my bottle of Desire Red and thought hmm, this smells the same as Allure. I looked it up then it's Tony's post. Next I checked some fragrances I rate good! His positive reviews are there!

So I thought let's see what this guy thinks of the most hated Cool Water and Acqua di Gio which I love. Boom positive feedback! Haha!

In all 30~ colognes Tony rated good. I completely agreed even to the detailed description. Even those I hated.

I haven't tried many but I guess I'd be looking at your reviews mate for future blind buys! Hahaha!

Default Re: Which basenotes member have similar taste as you?

The two that stick out are mtg and ody. And maybe redneck.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Suga and Scent !
    And of course N_Tesla - my Mitsouko friend.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th June 2010 at 10:08 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Difficult to tell, but so far, my fragrance notes have been heavily influenced (with minor, almost insignificant, differences), however without me thinking that my fragrance tastes are so evolved, by the opinions, tastes, preferences and reviews of The Good Life, Naed Nitram, Matthewfoo, Mario Justiniani, Odysseum, Sir Slarty, Redneck Perfumisto, Perfaddict, Inselaffe, Des Grieux and more. I also found a great deal of inspiration (both in what they prefer as male frags, but also on much wider topics and regarding a far wider range of frags) from some of the great ladies here on Basenotes, like Primrose, Mimi Gardenia, Kumquat and the list may also go on. While my fragrance tastes don't always exactly coincide with the ones of the aforementioned Basenoters, I must confess that I hardly ever buy a fragrance without first consulting their reviews and their message board posts on the respective subject.
    Their ratings on a fragrance or their wardrobe composition might diverge greatly, apparently almost irreconcilably from mine, but still, it was mainly their input here on Basenotes that prompted me whenever a second opinion regarding a fragrance I considered testing/purchasing was needed.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 30th June 2010 at 08:51 AM.

I don't think I have noted anything closer than 60% similarity to anyone to date.

Jockwithscents(JWS), DustB, and Indie.

Scentemental had a profound influence on how I initially went about defining my preferences.
    Last edited by pluran; 29th June 2010 at 09:25 PM.

edit double post
    Last edited by pluran; 29th June 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Nobody as far as I know. But I do share the love for certain houses like Sonoma Scent Studio with members such as AromiErotici and BayKat even though our tastes differ. The healthy respect many members have for differences in genres/styles is also the reason why I think Basenotes rock! This is the gathering place to celebrate fragrance appreciation after all.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 29th June 2010 at 04:27 PM.

(sigh) Where to start?

I am a bit of a fragrance maverick, not slavish to any one house, although I am partial to Guerlain. In spirit, I find the kindred souls here at BN those who have the adventurous wish to try and sample, and to avoid the mundane.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't necessarily say we share similar tastes, but the first person that came to mind for me was SculptureOfSoul. We've shared a love for some of the same scents (VPH, Antidote, Erolfa), so I always pay attention to what he has to say.

There is something good I find in everyone but I rely on the noses of foetidus and mikeperez mainly with the addition of a few others. These two are talented and for me, they describe a fragrance exactly how I would imagine them to be.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

RoseRoten seems to wear that same exact scents that I do.

Shamu, Bigsly, Mikeperez, JaimeB...My nose agrees with all of them.. thanks guys! you turn me on to many new things.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

i like Strollyyourlobsters collection and i think they will fit right in to my tastes.. also Gerald, Sloan & Vibert... and oh ya, mtgprox too..
    Last edited by jenson; 29th June 2010 at 08:05 PM.

I've found I share a lot of common interests with Mimi, Scent, and Hillaire. There's no person who I agree with everything on, but I'm happy for the diversity!

No perfect matches, but zztop and tricsman come close.

Dependent

Moltening is the single most profound influence on my scent journey. More than half of what I end up with, is due to his recommendations and suggestions.

There are many more that I share considerable similar preferences with. Redneck, Ken Russell, Jonny4, Amit, Trebor, Pour Monsieur, Chocolateguy and ohhmygod instantly come to mind...
    Last edited by MFJ; 29th June 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I used to think ComDiva and I were twins separated at birth, when I first joined BN, but since then our tastes have diverged wildly.

Right now it's hard for me to pick one but I would say the closest are NEoTY26 and petruccijc.

SculptureOfSoul for me, he loves his Amouage!

I would say the_good_life, but also frequently petruccijc and mikeperez23. There are many others whose opinions I pay very close attention to as well, but these three spring immediately to mind.

Oh ... and jenson. I'd better stop now or I'll be tempted to start going back and looking at everybody's reviews!
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 29th June 2010 at 08:27 PM.

The powerhouse fans here - AromiErotici, perfaddict, dimitrios, petruccijc, SillageMonger, etc., etc. - are people whose tastes are often similar to mine, and I don't think it's any coincidence that we often find ourselves posting on the same threads a lot. I also love classic scents like Monsieur de Givenchy and Moustache, but there are so many members who also love them, I can't even name them all.

I also love green, wood and pine scents, and the in-house guru of those types of frags is of course odysseusm.

A lot of your esteemed tastes have influenced me in many, many ways. I feel like I have a similar taste in frags with Mimi (she loves her jasmine!) and Suga (the tuberose lord!), as well as many (MANY!) members that have an affinity for Guerlains (Mike, N_Tesla, Hilaire, Mr. G, Dimitri, Brielle, bbBD, libertine, tott) as well as lovers of aldehydic scents and truly nasty, dirty, civet-laden animalic scents!!!!! Honorable mention also to jr4dt because the man loves his Tom Fords and his Kilians (as do I!). moreda also because he is an Amouage addict too! tigrushka too because she loves her Lutens and CDG's! GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    Last edited by scent; 29th June 2010 at 10:23 PM.

WindyCity1014 and I have very similar tastes, right down to being ultra-picky about what we like and dislike. (this could be because we were born exactly one day apart. )
    Last edited by Midiguru; 29th June 2010 at 10:05 PM.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Nobody as far as I know.
    Same here.

I have a very wide range...BUT, I tend to go for sweet, leather, rose or woods. I seem to be on the same page as Thebeck, MTGPROX, actiasluna, WindyCity1014, sirsmellzalot, mrcologneguy, blas. I like gupts style. The amazing Mrclmind..very nice and friendly guy w/ a great nose. Virbert and Mikeperez23...are great at hitting the description nail on the head.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Blog Entries

I've had enough time here now to figure out how my tastes relate....

Matthewfoo - one of the first people I noticed with a very similar taste in Bulgari, but then other things as well. We perceive the good aspects of scents somewhat similarly.

mikeperez23 - we have very similar noses, but I tend to be more forgiving of underwhelming scents

Asha - on some key scents, we have similar likes, but she can be put off by more minor defects than me because she can detect things I can easily ignore (or don't even get)

toughcool - we have a similar perception of certain scents, and overall, we both enjoy designer scents that many do not

petruccijc - if he likes it, I will like it, for similar reasons. But not the reverse!

StylinLA - his reasons for liking or disliking something always resonate with me, so I think we share some core values on frags.

SculptureOfSoul - we both have wildly fluctuating sniffers that can get into hypersensitive or messed up states, and I can really relate with his perceptive states and specific perceptions, which he articulates very well. I can proceed very confidently from a full explanation of his on any scent.

Strollyourlobster - we have the same appreciation of certain core and defining scents - this seems to encompass both our objective perceptions and our subjective assignment of value to attributes of a fragrance.

Kevin Guyer - if he likes it, I will like it, although not always immediately. I've used his opinion to extend my range.

purplebird - except for her dislike of Kouros, her "thumbs up" is very likely to work for me.

Haunani - when we overlap, it's usually the same way on the scent

Luca Turin - we often disagree on subjective worthiness, but his perceptions are almost always valid for me (making his guide hugely valuable to me).

Tania Sanchez - opposite of Turin - her subjective reasonings work when our perceptions match, but it's not as frequent.

The_Cologneist - similar to Sanchez for me - perceptions don't always match, but when they do, we likely agree.

CanwllCorfe - we're the same on some defining scents - similar taste overall.

Surprisingly, my fellow bloggers (Aromi, Suga, Mimi & Actias luna) have fairly different tastes from me - and I think that's probably a good thing. But I think we have a good understanding of our similarities and differences.

There are a whole bunch of other folks whose opinions I can use in a similar fashion, each with a specific understanding of how we match up:

Primrose, SirSlarty, SorceryOfScent, Offscenter, Peraddict, Larwiz, LiveJazz, mtgprox05 (sometimes), Snafoo (sometimes), Tao Lady, ...the list goes on.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 30th June 2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: clarification

Dependent

Red, I remember when I just joined BN, I really liked how we had quite a lot of scents in common! It was pretty cool when we were once wardrobe cousins....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Red, I remember when I just joined BN, I really liked how we had quite a lot of scents in common! It was pretty cool when we were once wardrobe cousins....
    Yeah, those were good times, with a lot of new folks coming on board. Which is what's cool about now, too.

In some ways I think our collections and tastes may have eventually diverged just because of the differences in market availability between the middle USA and Singapore. It was interesting to see that you had easier access to a lot of stuff I didn't, and vice versa. I can remember you testing out some scents that I really wanted to try, and you were having a heck of a time finding others that I can just try out at the nearest big mall. But that's overall a good thing, you know? Because then it really creates good tips and recommendations down the road. You may try something I wouldn't even think of, and if you say it's great - BAM - that's a reason to put it on my test list right there.

Honestly, I'm surprised to see my name mentioned at all on this thread, considering I don't know how to define my likes and dislikes, I can't imagine it lining up well for others! But nonetheless, while I don't think my tastes necessarily align with others, my preferences and what I'm looking for in a scent seem to match pretty well with a few members.

SculptureofSoul, LiveJazz, Megatropolis, Redneck Perfumisto, bbBD, Matthewfoo, Jenson, Buzzlepuff, JockWithScents (among many others) inspire me to pay attention to their likes and take second chances on favorites of theirs that I've previously dismissed.

Of course I appreciate many many others for the invaluable insight they provide whenever they post. Even if my tastes and fragrance choices may not align with theirs, they offer me new knowledge and appreciation for scents all the time.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 30th June 2010 at 02:04 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I've just recently noticed The Cologneist as having similar tastes (I also respect the way he champions the lower-priced scents), although I can't say that any one member has directly influenced my scent journey - more, the whole basenotes community has. Thanks all!!!
    Last edited by NDN-01; 30th June 2010 at 01:56 AM.

It's a very subjective hobby, so I don't mean to imply anything negative about anyone (nor positive about myself LOL) by saying this, but I think I note more people with opposite taste than similar. And that works just the same - ok in reverse - for finding new scents.

people with a taste for the classics and powerhouses. Off the top of my head I know gupts, pluran, pettrucij, Igor01's taste for ouds, KillerVavoom, and I'm sure I'm missing others.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I wouldn't say anyone in particular but I thought sloan_8013 had some good things in his wardrobe.

gupts has definitely been good to me, not only from selling on his scraps, but his advice has been useful, and often lines up with my perception.

And he's vego, so we have similar taste in food.

I would say none. It's bits and pieces. Because I don't seem to fit in here, I haven't really been able to resonate with any particular member about fragrance preferences. I have picked up a few similarities from the group at large, but they are too broad to have any meaning.

Hirch Duckfinder seems to have the most underlying similarities in taste. And the_good_life to a lesser extent, but still more than any others I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Hirch Duckfinder seems to have the most underlying similarities in taste. And the_good_life to a lesser extent, but still more than any others I remember.
    Our resident classical citrus hounds!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."