Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 95
  1. #1

    Default Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Hang on to your tophats, mes amis! Guerlain will release these two scents in the middle of July or August.

    The two scents will indeed be in EDP strength. Both will retail for $230 dollars for the 100 ml size.

    Le Dandy Version (The Gentleman) will feature as a leather/oriental scent with delicate violets and leather notes. Top: Bergamote, bares rose, bois de rose. Middle: Violet, sage, olibanum, cardamom. Base: Leather, patchouli and mixed spices.

    Le Voyou Version (The Rascal) will feature as a fresh aromatic woody scent with bergamote notes, patchouli, benzoin, woody notes and white musk. Top: Bergamote, armoise, coriandre, citron. Middle: Cardamom, Bulgarian rose, sage. Base: Benzoin, patchouli, mixed spices.

    EDIT: It think "bares rose" is a typo of "baie rose." But it is in the literature.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th June 2010 at 04:43 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Dadnies?!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Dadnies?!
    Yes, the faute d'ortographe is corrected. (The "typo" in English.) You want to make a comment now about the scents?
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th June 2010 at 01:42 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,346

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Primrose- this is exciting ! Thanks for the news. Are they limited editions ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  5. #5
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    The Dandy version certainly has my attention!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Primrose- this is exciting ! Thanks for the news. Are they limited editions ?
    No word on that, Mimi. I will post as soon as I know. This means tightening the old belt...or corset, as the case may be...to save that extra money!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  7. #7
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I'm sort of hoping that I like only one of them, because buying two could be hard on the pocketbook, and I'm still looking to get the new cologne.

    Maybe it's just the redneck in me, but Le Voyou looks just a bit more appealing right now. Also, violet can be a scrubber for me unless it's very light, because I'm hypersensitive to it.
    * * * *

  8. #8

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Yes, the faute d'ortograph is corrected. (The "typo" in English.) You want to make a comment now about the scents?
    I was just teasing.

    They look very interesting and I hope to try them.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Le Dandy will be on to sample list for sure.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,346

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    No word on that, Mimi. I will post as soon as I know. This means tightening the old belt...or corset, as the case may be...to save that extra money!
    Yup, less food, less everything........*LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I was just teasing.

    They look very interesting and I hope to try them.
    LOL! It's a combination of "daddy" and "dandy."

    A "dadnie" is a dandy so virile that he can't stop siring children on all of his mistresses... LOL!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'm sort of hoping that I like only one of them, because buying two could be hard on the pocketbook, and I'm still looking to get the new cologne.

    Maybe it's just the redneck in me, but Le Voyou looks just a bit more appealing right now. Also, violet can be a scrubber for me unless it's very light, because I'm hypersensitive to it.
    I agree, Red, that TWO will be costly.

    I add that these are creations of Jean-Paul Guerlain.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th June 2010 at 01:48 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  12. #12
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    A "dadnie" is a dandy so virile that he can't stop siring children on all of his mistresses...
    LOL

    "Dadnie! Tell me a story about how you met mommy!"

    ....at which point a huge throng of similar and beautiful children throw up their hands and scream "Me too! Me too!"
    * * * *

  13. #13

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL

    "Dadnie! Tell me a story about how you met mommy!"

    ....at which point a huge throng of similar and beautiful children throw up their hands and scream "Me too! Me too!"
    I can see how the "dadnie" in question would have to pause in thought, recalling how he seduced that particular child's mother in her theatre dressing room. "I will tell you when you are older, dear moppet."

    In seriousness, I do want to sample the Dandy version when this is released!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  14. #14
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,578

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Wow, those sound expensive.

    And I still haven't even tried Tonka Imperiale and the new Cologne de Parfumeur (sp?)...nor have I tried Guerlain Homme Intense. Or that last Aqua Allegoria, I think it was called No. 1 or something like that.

    Too. Many. Guerlain. Releases. Ack!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th June 2010 at 02:23 AM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Yeah, that's pricey juice. But with my new found respect for Guerlain, my hopes are high that they will be worth it.

    I hate it when I see frags I know I'll probably have to buy before they're available-- especially when the release date is still in play.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th June 2010 at 03:17 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Great news!
    In Russia they will be launched about October Lucky you!
    Sure I`ll test them both - and choose one. At least one.
    PS I could swear that I`ve got the bottle picture (glass rectangular in blackened metal case) somewhere in my home computer. But cannot find it now, sorry. So I`ll post it later.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Thanks for sharing! The dandy version really struck a cord with me!

  18. #18
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Primrose: Is there any word who formulated these two fragrances? Was it T. Wasser or someone else? I definately need to try samples of these two. The problem is that they both sound good by the notes.

  19. #19
    N_Tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Center of the Universe; California.
    Posts
    4,599
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Primrose: I like the notes in both, but for the sake of my wallet hope I only like one when tried.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Considering the price, I think they are probably going to be Guerlain exclusives, ie. it's not going to be easy to find samples.

  21. #21
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,491

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I will buy both as soon as they come out.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    here are the pictures

    and

    Glass in wooden frame.
    and both perfumes are made by JP Guerlain.
    Last edited by moon_fish; 30th June 2010 at 12:36 PM.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    sexy, I hope I love them both
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

  24. #24

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Primrose and moon_fish, thanks a lot for the info on scents and bottles! A new emerging Elixirs collection for men perhaps? The wooden case in all its naturalistic ecology is quite un-Guerlain, sadly reminds me of He Wood. Think I prefer all the glitter and gold. Doesn't look like a Jean-Paul idea, more an idea from the marketing department that he despises so much. I remember the marketing lady in that short programme about Jean-Paul talked about a wooden frame, but I assumed it was only the boutique display. But why not? Cologne du 68 also featured a wooden cap and it was beautiful. Obviously I will need to buy both unsniffed... but not before I have read some sniffing comments on BN

  25. #25
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,411
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    They both sound awesome, but Le Dandy sounds a little more mature and deeper. Two, Two, Two scents together. My frying brain circuits might override my pocketbook!
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  26. #26

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Primrose and moon_fish, thanks a lot for the info on scents and bottles! A new emerging Elixirs collection for men perhaps? The wooden case in all its naturalistic ecology is quite un-Guerlain, sadly reminds me of He Wood. Think I prefer all the glitter and gold. Doesn't look like a Jean-Paul idea, more an idea from the marketing department that he despises so much. I remember the marketing lady in that short programme about Jean-Paul talked about a wooden frame, but I assumed it was only the boutique display. But why not? Cologne du 68 also featured a wooden cap and it was beautiful. Obviously I will need to buy both unsniffed... but not before I have read some sniffing comments on BN
    Mr. G, I also do not like the wooden bottles. What a let-down! They remind me of something too contemporary, such as the Odori line. (I happen to like Odori scents, but this is GUERLAIN.) I wanted something more 19th century or fin-de-siecle in spirit--something a man could display and enjoy on a vanity top...or the dressing table! I'd even like something in yet another bee bottle. Why ruin the whole inspiration of the famed gentleman-thief character for the two fragrances with something that looks Cubist or Minimalist? I was *not* impressed with the new Voyages bottles AT all.

    I would have loved an Art Nouveau bottle!

    Thanks esp. go to the wonderful sales staff at the Palazzo shops in Las Vegas. They are a wonderful, dedicated staff.

    EDIT:

    These will be Exclusives and only available from boutiques.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th June 2010 at 10:46 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Mr. G, I also do not like the wooden bottles. What a let-down! They remind me of something too contemporary, such as the Odori line. (I happen to like Odori scents, but this is GUERLAIN.) I wanted something more 19th century or fin-de-siecle in spirit--something a man could display and enjoy on a vanity top...or the dressing table! I'd even like something in yet another bee bottle. Why ruin the whole inspiration of the famed gentleman-thief character for the two fragrances with something that looks Cubist or Minimalist? I was *not* impressed with the new Voyages bottles AT all.

    I would have loved an Art Nouveau bottle!

    Thanks esp. go to the wonderful sales staff at the Palazzo shops in Las Vegas. They are a wonderful, dedicated staff.

    EDIT:

    These will be Exclusives and only available from boutiques.
    Yes, Primrose, I do agree with you and Mr. G - gold&glass, art-deco or bee-bottles would look better.
    I believe that Guerlain people were thinking about us - not to let item prices jump too high, and also to keep Arsene Lupin duo in range of Parisienne collection.
    New bottles should remind some previous releases, but not being identical. (That`s just my speculation)

    In any way - I would not mind the bottles in case of new colognes made by Jean-Paul Guerlain.
    I even close my eyes for not to see undefinite and unnatural gray-rose-violet colour of juice!

    I will enjoy it with my eyes closed!

    And let me pouring my late thanks to you, Primrose, for the note pyramides.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  28. #28

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Actually, I kind of like the look of those bottles (and I do have some Odori).

    While I can see the appeal in here for very old school Guerlain bottles, my guess is they're trying to lure new buyers with a new looking bottle. They wanted something that stood apart from their other stuff.

    While traditions hold a lot of water with many of us, the average schmo they're trying to get on the hook for a $230 of "smells purdy" juice would probably prefer that design to a bee bottle.

    Too, many of us in here (self included) are going to rush to try these regardless of packaging. Primrose would buy a special edition scent from Guerlain called Le Dandy if it was in a recycled Coca-Cola can (me too).
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st July 2010 at 03:42 AM.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Actually, I kind of like the look of those bottles (and I do have some Odori).

    While I can see the appeal in here for very old school Guerlain bottles, my guess is they're trying to lure new buyers with a new looking bottle. They wanted something that stood apart from their other stuff.

    While traditions hold a lot of water with many of us, the average schmo they're trying to get on the hook for a $230 of "smells purdy" juice would probably prefer that design to a bee bottle.

    Too, many of us in here (self included) are going to rush to try these regardless of packaging. Primrose would buy a special edition scent from Guerlain called Le Dandy if it was in a recycled Coca-Cola can (me too).
    ROTFL! Or even a small empty airliner bottle that used to hold some Courvoisier!

    StylinLA, you're a man after my own heart! You are on target, I think, about the "casual" Guerlain buyer, not the connoisseur.

    Moon_fish, thanks to you for your early report on these two scents and the great bottle pictures.
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st July 2010 at 04:21 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    The Rascal sounds like a 'sports' fragrance.

    In the Dandy it will be interesting to see how they handle the interplay of violet, incense and leather notes
    -

  31. #31

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    StylinLA, you're a man after my own heart! You are on target, I think, about the "casual" Guerlain buyer, not the connoisseur.
    I'm no expert, but you hold up a bee bottle to a 30 something with enough change to pop $230 for something special it'll leave him cold. Many of us know and revere Guerlain and it's history, but they've already got us. They need to lure someone who wants the latest, the greatest, the best.

    The thing I'll be curious to see is how they roll it out. One of my pet peeves with Guerlain in Los Angeles is that you have to dig for it. The Bev Hills Saks is split into two separate physical stores- mens and womens. The men's store cologne counter carries only Guerlain Vetiver. You have to have the presence of mind to go into the ladies store to find Habit Rouge, Derby and L'Instant Pour Homme.

    I'll be looking for the tell tale signs of other BNers scanning the Guerlain coutner too.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st July 2010 at 05:14 AM.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    urgh
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st July 2010 at 05:12 AM.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Just got a mail from PR madam chez Guerlain. She says it will appear in Paris not before October 2010.

  34. #34
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,346

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    here are the pictures

    and

    Glass in wooden frame.
    and both perfumes are made by JP Guerlain.
    Exciting stuff.Oh, by Jean Paul and NOT Thierry .............

    Interesting bottles - they do remind me a little of ...
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 1st July 2010 at 02:23 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  35. #35
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,379

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Was thinking the same thing about the bottles. Nothing original. But I'm always up for another leather oriental esp if it's by J P Guerlain though Le Voyou doesn't sound that interesting from the notes alone. Maybe they got the two note lists mixed up? 'Rascal' with citrus, bergamot and Bulgarian rose?

  36. #36

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I keep thinking of Odori when I see these two bottles. Nothing can be farther from the inspiration of the gentleman thief of literature from the turn of the 20th century. (I happen to enjoy Odori Tabacco.) I was envisioning something even in amber glass, like an apothecary bottle with a glass stopper. And now...this....

    I will at least try the leather/violets, however.

    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/20090122-odori.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I also do not like the wooden bottles. What a let-down! They remind me of something too contemporary, such as the Odori line.
    +2

    Still great news, though.
    Last edited by Trebor; 2nd July 2010 at 01:08 PM.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I am admiring my bee bottles and trying to deal with the heartbreak of those wooden bottles. In the end, though, it's the scent one wears and not the bottle.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am admiring my bee bottles and trying to deal with the heartbreak of those wooden bottles. In the end, though, it's the scent one wears and not the bottle.
    Actually, for some, it's the entire package that counts...

  40. #40

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Actually, for some, it's the entire package that counts...
    True! If Shalimar Parfum came in minimalistic Chanel-like bottles, it just wouldn't feel the same.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Would anyone take me to task if I decanted some of my Guerlain into an empty antique Baccarat bottle of Milord by D'Orsay? At least it "would" have a dandy on the bottle.

    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ottle-77721858

    Something about the essence of fragrance for me includes a fine glass flacon and a stopper...call me a purist.
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd July 2010 at 04:26 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I hope that Guerlain would not mentioned 'invitation to layering' of both perfumes in the PR?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  43. #43
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,383

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Considering the price, I think they are probably going to be Guerlain exclusives, ie. it's not going to be easy to find samples.
    Less even possible to find them in peripherical markets... BNoters based in Alpha cities, you've got a heck of a potential business there!

  44. #44
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,383

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Mr. G, I also do not like the wooden bottles. What a let-down! They remind me of something too contemporary, such as the Odori line...
    Primrose, get it off your mind: the ones cherishing things from the past - as we are - are a minority. I have a brother working at a very traditional cosmetic company with a 150 year long history, they won't even consider reviving anything, not even the relaunch of traditional brands remembered and cherished by everybody.

    BTW, this reflects the continous discussion on traditonalism and modernism

    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...ictecture.html

    And here is the outcome...

    http://www.architecture.com/TheRIBA/...re/speech.aspx

    See, it is not that easy.
    Last edited by Pollux; 5th July 2010 at 04:33 PM.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I actually love the bottles! Then again, I'm not exactly one for history, Guerlain can always maintain the aesthetic of their older releases, but they don't need to remain in that same rut forever. Jeez, they're new fragrances, allow them to try to reach a new demographic with it. I, for one, think they are very stylish in a contemporary way, and look a heck of a lot better than both the Odoris or He Wood bottles.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  46. #46

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I couldn't care less about classic aesthetics. I'm more concerned with originality and good taste, and the new bottles are uninspired, unoriginal and rather ugly.

  47. #47

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I couldn't care less about classic aesthetics. I'm more concerned with originality and good taste, and the new bottles are uninspired, unoriginal and rather ugly.
    And you have every right to feel that way. I'm not the best judge when it comes to visual aesthetics, and my tastes don't really have much rhyme or reason to them. I like contemporary, and I like this. It seems clean and streamlined.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  48. #48

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Primrose, get it off your mind: the ones cherishing things from the past - as we are - are a minority. I have a brother working at a very traditional cosmetic company with a 150 year long history, they won't even consider reviving anything, not even the relaunch of traditional brands remembered and cherished by everybody.

    BTW, this reflects the continous discussion on traditonalism and modernism

    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...ictecture.html

    And here is the outcome...

    http://www.architecture.com/TheRIBA/...re/speech.aspx

    See, it is not that easy.
    Pollux, thank you for the New Yorker link, esp. for the cartoon of the dandy Eustace Tilley on the masthead! Eustace, of course, was a fictional character based on...the Comte d'Orsay! LOL!

    I think Prince Charles has a special mission on preserving heritage and the past, he himself a part of a monarchy that goes back centuries. I think countries unlike the U.S. (or those founded on colonialism) see the world differently that those with a very long past. Cultures like Japan are an odd blend of centuries-old tradition and modernism.

    I think "The Shock of the New," the infatuation with novelty, wears off. People look for the ever-new. BTW, historian James Laver came up with a chronology of the way we perceive art in culture. We can look at a beautiful Belle Epoque ball gown in 2010 and say how beautiful it is, but I am sure it was an ugly out-of-fashion object in the 1920s. I guess it's all a part of marketing: new, new, ultra-new, then traditional. It's a cycle. What is old is new again.

    In the 19th century the Eiffel Tower was considered ugly. I think Guy de Maupassant said he had meals sitting *under* it because he did not have to look at it. Now it's considered a beautiful iconic image of the city of Paris.
    Last edited by Primrose; 5th July 2010 at 11:30 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Hope that they aren`t really similar to Coriolan, since the line in which they`ll be launched already comprises two masculine fragrances similar to Coriolan (Chamade Pour Homme and L'Ame d'un Héros).
    I thought that I would buy these two this year, but for that price they`ll have to wait since I want more Tonka Imperiale. My leather purchase, I think, will probably be from Van Cleef.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Hope that they aren`t really similar to Coriolan, since the line in which they`ll be launched already comprises two masculine fragrances similar to Coriolan (Chamade Pour Homme and L'Ame d'un Héros).
    I thought that I would buy these two this year, but for that price they`ll have to wait since I want more Tonka Imperiale. My leather purchase, I think, will probably be from Van Cleef.
    Rick, I think, as StylinLA observed, that these will be marketed differently from the Exclusives in the bee bottles. I think Guerlain is looking to be "edgy" with the wooden bottles and striking out in a different direction.

    For leather, you may wish to give Guerlain's Derby a try.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  51. #51

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I guess the bottles can be considered a masculine approach with the use of wood, however I too find them a little insipid.

    Still, the scents themselves have put a big blip on my radar! Thanks for the heads up Primrose.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I've just read on "The Scented Salamander" that the 2 fragrances "are part of the Les Parisiens collection" and that their price is "165€ for 100 ml".

    http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._dandy_ar.html

  53. #53

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Rick, I think, as StylinLA observed, that these will be marketed differently from the Exclusives in the bee bottles. I think Guerlain is looking to be "edgy" with the wooden bottles and striking out in a different direction.

    For leather, you may wish to give Guerlain's Derby a try.
    Primrose, I understood that they will be part of the line, but they will have different bottles. The problem to me is the price; for that price I want tonka imperiale. I have vintage Derby and I still need to buy the new one someday. I thought that this two launches from Guerlain would be mass market ones, that`s why I said that I`ll buy the new from Van Cleef, Midnight In Paris, instead of these two.

  54. #54

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Primrose, I understood that they will be part of the line, but they will have different bottles. The problem to me is the price; for that price I want tonka imperiale. I have vintage Derby and I still need to buy the new one someday. I thought that this two launches from Guerlain would be mass market ones, that`s why I said that I`ll buy the new from Van Cleef, Midnight In Paris, instead of these two.
    Rick, I can see one must make choices at these prices! (sigh) The new version of Derby is indeed very elegant.

    Alberto, mille grazie for the nice article post. Thank you!

    I guess this makes me one of the aforementioned "gentlemen's club." LOL!

    I can see why the Lout "rogue" motif can appeal to the "scamp" in all of us, while Dandy appeals to the more chivalrous older man of fashion. Dandies "do" mature with age. Someone in the late 1830s gave up a life of gambling, pleasure-seeking, womanising and trips to the tailors, (or at least curtailed it) and switched from bright colours to dark, sober suits. He ended up restoring murals on church walls and working as a government bureaucrat! LOL! That's what happens when you are short of cash.
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th July 2010 at 05:16 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  55. #55

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    This is an update: I understand from Guerlain that the launch will be in late August or early September.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  56. #56

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I want both
    I need both
    I should be allowed to have both
    ... and the new VC&A as well.

    Seriously, I'm holding my breath on these... I have great expectations, which is always a bad attitude to adopt

  57. #57

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    The latest update: Guerlain have said samples should be out soon, but the bottle release is set for October.

    I think I will wear Jolie Madame today for its violet leather.

    The violet is that quintessentially Victorian flower, and the smell of leather recalls horse tack. This does seem dandified!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  58. #58

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    Here is a first review of Arsène Lupin taken from a blog... it has been put through a google translator, so please try and see past the grammatical inconsistencies and gobblygook etc. Still, it makes for some very interesting reading.

    Arsene Lupin has the distinction of disguise, is
    makeup, dressing up or become even, as
    character he plays. It is therefore quite difficult to make
    an accurate description. However, the natural question,
    seems to be to a rather slender, good-looking and
    of unusual strength, related to his training. "

    This phrase, found on the web to describe the physics
    figure also applies to perfumes that take up the
    name. The two new Guerlain Men announced for very
    soon plundered in the directory olfactory past Guerlain
    to make up, make up and become the taste of the day
    in two directions: the dandy and the thug.

    For the first, the Dandy is on the side of chypre and
    Mitsouko that the thief is gone for his treasure. The frame
    This agreement is Dandy bergamot and patchouli-fishing-foam
    tree (because it can not use the oak moss). Perfume
    presents itself as a distinguished perfume, haughty, elegant,
    that enhances the smoky notes of leather and wood as
    vetiver probably as the general appearance is worthy of
    Fine fragrances around vetiver. Unlike Mitsouko, it
    is not flowery, and I think this Dandy share a little with the
    same intent as what was done last year with
    Mitsouko Lotus Flower, namely reinterpret the myth in a
    more contemporary context. The feminine side a bit that generates
    this relationship could interfere with Mitsouko few of
    you, but it is a tradition among male Guerlain
    verge on the other side without going there really. I think Arsene
    Lupin Dandy highbrow worthy of the brand, if
    there was the price. The only regret is that it does not innovate
    more.

    The second, Arsene Lupin Thug hides under his air perfume
    Luxury her love for the remix. Is it to confuse the
    tracks or to be in the wind? Probably, but I can not
    help but read into it will do more
    openly accessible by tapping on the territory of Boss
    Signature vanilla and cedar, which would have transferred
    with the signature leathery amber fragrance which celebrated the 180
    anniversary of the brand Guerlain 180 Years. This foot Guerlain too
    obviously not my cup of tea, but she deserves to be me
    may be less elitist than the Dandy. You can judge by yourself
    same.

    Even if I find the Dandy Interestingly, there is no shot
    heart for me, because I think these heroes disguised missing
    may be what made Guerlain what they were before:
    the soul of heroes perfumes that take risks, the soul of
    real perfumes. The choice of hero is it by chance
    reflection of the mood of shareholders because, given the price, the
    treasure plunder these gentlemen burglars want is to
    no doubt that your wallet? I find it
    unfortunate to arrive at this point to find a
    identity, but that's another debate.

  59. #59

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    The reviewer seems somewhat nonplussed , they certainly sound interesting and definatly worth a try

  60. #60

    Default Re: Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo

    I hope they're disappointing. At least I'll save some money...

Similar Threads

  1. Any speculations on Guerlain's Arsene Lupin? Dandy version?
    By Primrose in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th May 2010, 04:27 AM
  2. Guerlain Cologne du 68 - that patisserie note
    By Jardanel in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th April 2010, 08:12 PM
  3. Guerlain Heritage plum, deep honeyed prune note
    By neal in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th April 2010, 12:00 AM
  4. is this too good to believe? Guerlain fans take note
    By Oaksbluff in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 3rd June 2009, 01:51 AM
  5. Clove note in Guerlain Vetiver
    By scentinell in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th November 2006, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •